Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview and Freesat TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭deezell

My set is a Samsung also, And while it is a PITA to change tuners, (11 button presses), I'm more than happy that the Freesat Menu item popped up after I had returned location to Ireland. I had made a few unsuccessful attempts to restore the channel list saved in UK location when back In Irl location. I was switching from Terrestrial to the Satellite when lo and behold the word Freesat was in the list. Happy days. I wonder can I now save this channel backup and use to restore? I just left well enough alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

The TV is set to one country. If it is UK then you can get: Freesat; Freeview; FTA Sat. If it set to Ireland then you can get: Saorview; FTA Sat. Setting a TV to a different country clears the memory so you have to re-tune all the channels, both satellite and terrestrial.

There is no easy way to do this and the particular method depends on what you wish to achieve.

Set the TV to UK, and use a UK post code. SW1A 1AA for London, or BT1 1AA for NI. Tune in Freesat. Change aerial to Air. Tune in Saorview channels. These will all appear in the 800s in random order. Spend a few hours reordering them as you prefer.

Alternatively, tune in Saorview (aerial=Air) which will work without bother and then tune in the FTA satellite and spend a few hours reordering and deleting the channels.

Good luck.

I understand up to " Change aerial to Air."

deezell wrote: »
    My set is a Samsung also, And while it is a PITA to change tuners, (11 button presses), I'm more than happy that the Freesat Menu item popped up after I had returned location to Ireland. I had made a few unsuccessful attempts to restore the channel list saved in UK location when back In Irl location. I was switching from Terrestrial to the Satellite when lo and behold the word Freesat was in the list. Happy days. I wonder can I now save this channel backup and use to restore? I just left well enough alone.

Did freesat show up from the get go after you changed location to Ireland or was it sometime after it just randomly showed up?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

spix wrote: »
    I understand up to " Change aerial to Air."

On the Samsung I have [**ES7000 with the evolution upgrade] I go to the following sequence. The sequence may be different for later TVs.

Menu - Broadcasting - Aerial . The is then a choice between
    Air - Cable - Satellite - Freesat

If you choose Air you get Saorview. If you choose Freesat, you get Freesat.

To tune in the channels, you go:

Menu - Broadcasting - Autotune.

Hope that helps.

On the Samsung I have [**ES7000 with the evolution upgrade] I go to the following sequence. The sequence may be different for later TVs.

Menu - Broadcasting - Aerial . The is then a choice between
    Air - Cable - Satellite - Freesat

If you choose Air you get Saorview. If you choose Freesat, you get Freesat.

To tune in the channels, you go:

Menu - Broadcasting - Autotune.

Hope that helps.

My TV has no such option for selecting 'aerial' type under broadcasting. Only after starting auto tune or in channel list can anything be changed. its a 2016 model on latest firmware

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

My TV has no such option for selecting 'aerial' type under broadcasting. Only after starting auto tune or in channel list can anything be changed. its a 2016 model on latest firmware

What model do you have, and I will try and help.

Did freesat show up from the get go after you changed location to Ireland or was it sometime after it just randomly showed up?

I had started in Irl, tuned Saorview and Fta sat. I then changed to UK, Freesat and unsorted terrestrial with channel numbers all over the shop which defied editing. Rte1 has to be on one, so I returned to Irl location, imported the previous tunings, and when trying to sort the FTA satellite scan the Freesat list appeared. I must have done something different, but I'm not about to factory reset and try again. No BBC iPlayer, but I can live with that.

No BBC iPlayer, but I can live with that.

You have to move the TV to the UK to get BBC iPlayer. It is Geo blocked.

What model do you have, and I will try and help.

ue40ku6470 http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE40KU6470UXXU

You have to move the TV to the UK to get BBC iPlayer. It is Geo blocked.
    Yes, it takes more than changing the TV. There are a number of ways to get around geo blocking. I mention iPlayer as the Beeb have been testing 4k sport on it, and with the world cup in a few weeks.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

I also have a 2016 Samsung TV

To switch between Terrestrial (Saorview) and Freesat, I press the following buttons...

Ch List (which is between Vol and Ch buttons)
    Right
    Down 3 times
    Ok (middle button where up, down, left, right are)
    Up or Down depending on which you want (Terrestrial or Freesat)
    Ok
    And finally Ok again

Job done. 9 button presses in total

I have the Saorview channels which appear in the 800's because the TV is in UK mode, set up as Favouties and you can order them RTE One, RTE2, TV3 etc in that order

To switch between Terrestrial (Saorview) and Freesat, I press the following buttons...

Right
    Down 3 times
    Ok
    And finally Ok again

I have the Saorview channels which appear in the 800's because the TV is in UK mode, set up as Favouties and you can order them RTE One, RTE2, TV3 etc in that order

I've to up or down twice sometimes as I've Satellite, Freesat and Terrestrial, and I've to exit twice otherwise the smart interface stays on screen for an age. 9, 11, still a pita.

Right
    Down 3 times
    Ok
    And finally Ok again

With the TV set to UK and freesat tuned in, when I go to

" Up or Down depending on which you want (Terrestrial or Freesat)"

I can only choose between Terrestrial or Satellite, freesat is not an option.

With the TV set to UK and freesat tuned in, when I go to

" Up or Down depending on which you want (Terrestrial or Freesat)"

I can only choose between Terrestrial or Satellite, freesat is not an option.

Where you prompted with a Postcode option when u set up the TV

You need one. I use W1A for London, if you want NI use BT36

I've to up or down twice sometimes as I've Satellite, Freesat and Terrestrial, and I've to exit twice otherwise the smart interface stays on screen for an age. 9, 11, still a pita.

But if u press OK rather than exit, when the option has changed, then u don't need to hit exit twice

So I left the tv as it was for a while (Region set to Ireland with saorview tuned in) and after checking a few hours later now Freesat is showing up in channel list. It's not exactly the same as when Region is set to UK as ITV/Channel 4 are in the 900's and for some reason bbc2 is the first channel instead of bbc1 but it'll do :-)

So I left the tv as it was for a while (Region set to Ireland with saorview tuned in) and after checking a few hours later now Freesat is showing up in channel list. It's not exactly the same as when Region is set to UK as ITV/Channel 4 are in the 900's and for some reason bbc2 is the first channel instead of bbc1 but it'll do :-)
    On Freesat, 101 is BBC One SD, 102 BBC Two HD, 103 ITV SD etc
    https://www.freesat.co.uk/tv-guide/

I know, however the self appearing freesat with region set to Ireland has the channels listed a bit differently. The first 3 channels are 102 BBC Two HD, 105 Channel 5 HD, 106 BBC One HD

I know, however the self appearing freesat with region set to Ireland has the channels listed a bit differently. The first 3 channels are 102 BBC Two HD, 105 Channel 5 HD, 106 BBC One HD

That's technically the Free to air mode (Satellite) rather than Freesat

That's technically the Free to air mode (Satellite) rather than Freesat

There is also another option for Satellite. There was 2 before and after leaving it for a while now its Terrestrial,Satellite,Freesat. It has the Freesat logo, epg and all the other channels. Just the first few channels are a bit disorganized.

• Advertisement

There is also another option for Satellite. There was 2 before and after leaving it for a while now its Terrestrial,Satellite,Freesat. It has the Freesat logo, epg and all the other channels. Just the first few channels are a bit disorganized.
    Also on mine, it has all the sub categories, childrens, movies etc. This extra menu item appeared when Freesat appeared.

Your freesat is accurate because your TV is set to UK. Mine is Ireland so soarview numbers are correct. Can't have both being accurate I suppose.

The Aerial menu with location set to Irl.

452212.jpg

The Genre option is available on Freesat

452213.jpg

My channel list is correct, except Itv HD and ch4 HD are not to the fore.

452214.jpg

That's a 2017 tv right? (white menu)

Where do you bring up the genre tab from? I can only see it in the epg itself.

My Freesat channel list now looks exactly like yours, its changed itself since yesterday, very odd.

The Aerial menu with location set to Irl.

Yes, 2017 QLED. The Genre symbol appears between the little heart symbol and the lines symbol on the last image, 2 little theatre masks symbol.

It takes a short while to appear. It's not in that image.
    Here it is.

452525.jpg

So my stupid samsung tv decided to auto update and ruined the saorview/freesat working both at same time. Is there a known workaround for the newer firmwares?

Is it possible to prevent auto update?.

• Advertisement

Is it possible to prevent auto update?.

I guess the only way is not having tv connected to internet since I've just read many reports that samsung are forcing updates even if you have auto updates disabled

Advertisement