Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭redlead

How old does a watch need to be for it to be vintage? For instance a lot of those bond seamasters are close to 30 years old now but aren't exactly what comes to mind when one thinks vintage. I'd imagine there will be a whole new cohort of these modern vintage collectors who will make up the difference where the gold plated 33mm brigade are disappearing (Wibbs ears spring up).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If gun to my head I had to put a definition on "vintage" I'd maybe put it as anything made before the Swiss mechanical revival of the 80's?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

In general, isn't vintage usually anything 25 years plus?

Clothes, cars, watches, general consumer stuff.

No?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    In general, isn't vintage usually anything 25 years plus?

I’m vintage? Ffs, I thought I was in my prime. Day ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

553982.jpg

Finally have this back in working order after it took a 1.5yr vacation to PP in Geneva.

• Advertisement

eek need to reduce the size of that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

fran426ft wrote: »
    eek need to reduce the size of that

No it's fine. Nice watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Fitz II

fran426ft wrote: »
    y have this back in working order after it took a 1.5yr vacation to PP in Geneva.

Nice Patek...please tell us the story????

Got this today in Weirs after a short wait.

PXL-20210524-170534965.jpg

Fitz II wrote: »

The watch has a story but I don't have time to recount it all today.
    ...but the latest part of it's story was my own fault. I knocked it off a high set of drawers onto a wooden floor and damaged the points on the balance wheel
    Dropped it into Keane's in Cork last December 2019 and just got it back a week ago. Thankfully my home insurance covered the damage

Cool watch Fitz.

You and Oisin.

That datewheel looks a bit misalaigned.

Cute dog.

• Advertisement

Cool watch Fitz.

You and Oisin.

That datewheel looks a bit misalaigned.

Cute dog.

Nah the watch is not running and set it back to 10 past ten for the photo, so the date is ticking over without power in the spring.

My doggo is awesome, I am experienced dealing with bitches. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just my humble, but I think Tudors have the nicest looking crowns in modern watches.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yeah, if wasn't made in the space age or stone age I'm not interested. :D I've had a few autos down the years, couple of Seiko's, a 60's Omega, a 1930's Rolex Oyster Bubbleback, a 60's Longines Conquest in steel*, but that's about it, that I can think of, this is going back to the 80's and 90's. The above Vostok is also the newest watch I own, by a good few decades. Vintage types are weird basically.

Actually that's a thing I've noticed over the last few years on forums, there are fewer vintage types as a proportion of the hobby/madness than there used to be. I suppose because supply got tight ad prices went way up.

*miss those last two sometimes actually. The Rolex was a pretty little(very) thing, the Longines was very nice and 39mm IIRC.
    I see the appeal tbh, manual winding is great, sort of a ritual winding it. Barely a benefit to automatic if you swap watches around. And quartz too, it's great just grabbing a watch and not worrying about if it stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Orange for a day at the beach.

3cCbPwZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

https://i.ibb.co/0Mbm1rf/PXL-20210524-170534965.jpg

I've been admiring these since their launch; how is the legibility of the white hands on the white dial?

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Cienciano wrote: »
    . Barely a benefit to automatic if you swap watches around. And quartz too, it's great just grabbing a watch and not worrying about if it stopped.

I've really noticed this the past while, i'm usually too lazy to actually set the time/date too so i'm walking around with watches that aren't even telling the time :o

Must get a winder.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I built this for my YouTube channel. Building from behind the camera is definitely challenging 🤣

554017.jpg

Eoin wrote: »
    I've been admiring these since their launch; how is the legibility of the white hands on the white dial?

Very nice dial, beautiful dial actually. There is 14.4mm thickness so you have to come to terms with that. Anyone that wants a look hit me up, you wont find one in a ad for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭RMDrive

I was delighted to see this waiting for me when I got home yesterday.

554021.jpg

Tissot Ballade

554033.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

K8i1GvBl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭banie01

@Pablo, that's a lovely watch.
    Really like it.

Thanks banie01, I really like it too. I went a bit too far down the NTH rabbit hole and ended up with 3 different versions, but this is the one that I will hold onto if (when) I decide to make a bit of space.

Pablo, your pic isn't showing up for me here or directly in the imgur link.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,014 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It shows in Firefox, but I think it's cached. Safari says imgur has removed the pic.

Strange, it was there and then it disappeared from imgur. I tried to upload it again and it wouldn't work so trying with IBB now. Hopefully its not too large

PXL-20210525-141502720-PORTRAIT-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Ohhh thats very nice!

I need a NTH in my collection

Not a watch but a new strap for the aquanaut. You have to cut these straps to size so once its cut its cut. These are obnoxiously expensive so it might as well be a new watch. In for a penny in for a pound I suppose. Its a nice system that keeps the strap very smooth and the same thickness all the way around but I better not gain any weight.

Clipboard01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Wibbs wrote: »
    Just my humble, but I think Tudors have the nicest looking crowns in modern watches.

I did like the detailing on my Heritage chrono:

41380249370_36528732e6_c.jpg

• Advertisement

This is officially the hardest watch in the world to photograph.

IMG-0028.jpg

Advertisement