Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granny jailed for refusing to wear a face mask

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,707 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Serves her right, stupid gowl.

Why is it important that she is grandmother? Sympathy plea?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Attention seeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Speedline

I wonder is she still smirking in Cork Prison. I'd say the weekend will have knocked a bit of sense into her.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Deserves everything she gets especially as a lot of these restrictions were designed to protect the elderly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Probably another naive soul that ventured a bit far down the FB Covid conspiracy hole.

Plenty went the same way. I have some sympathy for those that distinguish fact from fiction.

Big Gerry wrote: »
    Unbelievable sending a Granny to jail for refusing to wear a face mask.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/gran-sent-to-prison-over-refusal-to-wear-mask-40455194.html

I see you take the "rules are for some and not for others" approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

She was jailed for Contempt of Court not for not wearing a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Speedline

She was jailed for contempt of court for not wearing a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I hope she didn't see what happened to Fran in Love/Hate when he got locked up :eek:

• Advertisement

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/gran-sent-to-prison-over-refusal-to-wear-mask-40455194.html

Crimes do not have an age limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Big Gerry wrote:

Contempt of court

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

My granny is still in her home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

No sympathy for her, she sounds like a complete arsehole who was going out of her way to break the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Do we have to add these terms like “grandmother” as if that somehow changes everything.

People like her really pee me off. The vast majority of people are doing their best to get on top of Covid and then morons like her throw it in their faces. Many of us lost family members and other loved ones during the pandemic and were not able to say goodbye or attend funerals. She deserves flogging, not jail. Sorry if that seems a bit harsh, but I’m feeling emotional after losing a dear friend. Not Covid related, thankfully, but not being able to visit her in hospital was so, so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,734 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

These are the consequences of her actions including abusing shop workers and contempt of court. Her own fault and just because she has Grandchildren doesnt mean she deserves sympathy.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What has the fact she is a granny got to do with it? Are any of us who have grandchildren subject to more relaxed laws than everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Do we have to add these terms like “grandmother” as if that somehow changes everything.

Aren't we meant to be protecting granny not sticking her in a confined high risk location.
    I don't know how it's come to this all she needed was a reasonable excuse, no cert or anything like that is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

From article
    She was found guilty of the offence of not wearing a mask in breach of the Covid-19 public health regulations.
    but also
    remanded in custody for three days for repeatedly refusing to wear a mask when she appeared before the court.

• Advertisement

Aren't we meant to be protecting granny not sticking her in a confined high risk location.
    I don't know how it's come to this all she needed was a reasonable excuse, no cert or anything like that is required.

She’s obviously spent too much time hanging out on similar sites to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

She’s a 66 year old woman. My grandmother was successfully running two businesses at that age, doing yoga and hitting the gym 3 days a week and jetting off to the canaries.

Convenient and patronising nonsense in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Age is no excuse.

biko wrote: »
    From article

Ah biko you never fully read the articles do you? She hasn’t been sentenced for that offence yet.
    Margaret Buttimer (66) – who was previously described before Clonakilty District Court as “an enigma” – will be sentenced on Monday after being remanded in custody for three days for repeatedly refusing to wear a mask when she appeared before the court.

"Citizen refuses to wear a facemask in contravention of public health regulations and has been accused of contempt of court".

Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

The store manager mentioned in the article works in my shop now, one of my colleagues asked him about this and apparently she went into several shops in clonakilty pulling this no mask nonsense and verbally abusing staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

You’re very quiet Op? Not the responses you were hoping for?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Smee_Again wrote: »
    She’s obviously spent too much time hanging out on similar sites to you.

They seem to be catching about 500 pro facers a day, can't be many of us left now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,565 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

What the hell has the National Lottery to do with it .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement