Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Paul Reid on Radio 1 saying its difficult to get exact numbers of vaccines administered through GPs given the issues being faced however he expects close to 300k doses in the coming week to be administered in total

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

iguana wrote: »
    There was a gap between each decade but no gap within each decade. So a gap between 60 and 59 and between 50 and 49 but no gap from 65 to 64 or 55 to 54. Which is why everyone is wondering. Will the 40s be the first decade to have a gap within it. Which there could be as it's a larger demographic.

I expect there will be 3/4 days gap before the portal opens for 40 - 44.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭celt262

Why?

celt262 wrote: »
    Why?

At a guess, 40-49 is a larger cohort than they've done before. Start getting appointments out of the 49,48 etc, reduce the pool waiting by a bit and then open up for 40-44

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Why?

Because it is the biggest demographic. There are 50s and 60s still to be vaccinated. There is uncertainty on supply of some vaccines. So maybe pausing registration by a few days will assist with both planning and managing expectations.

But a guess really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Why?

There are people in their 60s still waiting on appointments. A break in registration allows it to be kept manageable and makes sense.

Yes there's a large misunderstanding really when the word effective is used.

I don't think most of the public really understand what is meant by efficency of the vaccine but that's the fault of the reporting on such.

The study is on the Indian variant only
    It says the Astra jab is on 2nd dose 60% effective
    But only 33% on 1 dose
    Thats 12 weeks waiting to get up to 60%
    15 in reality (3 wks after the 2nd dose)
    Versus 6 weeks in reality if you are on pfizer to get up to 88% coverage on its 2nd jab

With the Indian variant going to be dominant,thats a Whopping difference between the 2 vaccine's
    Period

The study is on the Indian variant only
    It says the Astra jab is on 2nd dose 60% effective
    But only 33% on 1 dose
    Thats 12 weeks waiting to get up to 60%
    15 in reality (3 wks after the 2nd dose)
    Versus 6 weeks in reality if you are on pfizer to get up to 88% coverage on its 2nd jab

With the Indian variant going to be dominant,thats a Whopping difference between the 2 vaccine's
    Period

But those figures are based purely on effectiveness at preventing symptomatic infection. It is likely the protection against severe disease/hospitalisation and death are far higher, even after one dose.

But those figures are based purely on effectiveness at preventing symptomatic infection. It is likely the protection against severe disease/hospitalisation and death are far higher, even after one dose.

They're over all actually

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

I agree
    End of next week

• Advertisement

“This study provides reassurance that two doses of either vaccine offer high levels of protection against symptomatic disease from the B.1.617.2 [India] variant and we expect the vaccines to be even more effective at preventing hospitalisation and death,” said Mary Ramsay, head of immunisation at PHE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

iguana wrote: »
    There was a gap between each decade but no gap within each decade. So a gap between 60 and 59 and between 50 and 49 but no gap from 65 to 64 or 55 to 54. Which is why everyone is wondering. Will the 40s be the first decade to have a gap within it. Which there could be as it's a larger demographic.

The 50’s and 60’s were opened up as a decade though. The 40’s were split due to its larger population and of course more and more of the older cohorts also need to be getting second doses in parallel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I'm not sure that's a great idea

There are probably a fair few infections in the days immediately after vaccination due to the protection not properly kicking in.

But if people see that there were 40 cases in vaccinated individuals many would panic and the likes of ISAG would be on rte saying the vaccines aren't working etc. Even if those 40 cases were within a few days of the first dose.

This is what NPHET should be saying very clearly from now on .
    With no more sensationalist " black cloud" headlines being thrown out for those reporters who are just there looking for that sort of news to report .

On the subject of genome sequencing .. @ astrofool
    25% of cases are randomly being sequenced , it might be more now , and any suspect specimens taken in hospital are notified directly to HSE and NVRL .

No its not.

Again a misunderstanding of what the term effective actually relates to. Your reply proved my inital point that there is a common misunderstanding as to what effective relates to.

Read the briefing not the headlines

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I'm not really sure how a break in registration achieves anything other than keeping the database smaller, which is hardly relevant.

You might manage expectations a bit, but it makes zero practical difference. If anything, having people registered sooner would at least let them plan logistics better.

The same number of people will still want to be vaccinated - in one case you have their details. In the other you don't.

“This study provides reassurance that two doses of either vaccine offer high levels of protection against symptomatic disease from the B.1.617.2 [India] variant and we expect the vaccines to be even more effective at preventing hospitalisation and death,” said Mary Ramsay, head of immunisation at PHE.
    Yes,but absolutely no doubt that pfizer is way out in front at preventing you getting sick at all and ergo long covid

No its not.

Again a misunderstanding of what the term effective actually relates to. Your reply proved my inital point that there is a common misunderstanding as to what effective relates to.

Read the briefing not the headlines
    I am NOT interested in stats on severe illness
    I already know that if you dont get sick at all,you won't have severe illness
    That bits intuitive
    Whats important is pfizer is way in front in resulting in no illness from that indian variant

I am NOT interested in stats on severe illness
    I already know that if you dont get sick at all,you won't have severe illness
    That bits intuitive
    Whats important is pfizer is way in front in resulting in no illness from that indian variant

Way out in front ?
    They are all showing similar results .
    What ..are you talking about ?

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Way out in front ?
    Regarding the Indian variant
    Pfizer effacacy 88%
    Astra 60%
    A third better overall
    Both great at severe illness which is brilliant
    But pfizer much better at preventing illness alltogether
    Thats what I'm talking about

I'm not really sure how a break in registration achieves anything other than keeping the database smaller, which is hardly relevant.

You might manage expectations a bit, but it makes zero practical difference. If anything, having people registered sooner would at least let them plan logistics better.

The same number of people will still want to be vaccinated - in one case you have their details. In the other you don't.

If that was the case they should ask the whole population to register within a week ?! :)

It's about managing supplies and appointment dates , with some degree of organisation and least wait from registration as possible
    Large numbers in 40 to 49 year age group.
    They are probably learning from the delays that occurred with the older age groups also which is as it should be .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Regarding the Indian variant
    Pfizer effacacy 88%
    Astra 60%
    A third better overall
    Both great at severe illness which is brilliant
    But pfizer much better at preventing illness alltogether
    Thats what I'm talking about

Anything above 50 to 60 % in a vaccine preventing illness is excellent .
    The numbers for serious disease are well above the 80s which is most important , for both these vaccines with this variant .
    Also those numbers will most likely increase over a number of weeks .
    We are very lucky to have such great performing vaccines .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Cork2021

It’s surely possible that we can get another 35% vaccinated with a first dose by the 30th of June? Still have 38 days to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Yes,but absolutely no doubt that pfizer is way out in front at preventing you getting sick at all and ergo long covid
    Way out in front ?

Ok, I will admit to being confused on this.

My understanding is that, ignoring severe outcomes (which may show much higher effectiveness for AZ, and perhaps there is less road to travel for Pfizer as it's already higher for preventing symptomatic infection), Pfizer is, as MarineLayer said, out in front at preventing you getting mildly sick.

If Pfizer is 88% effective against symptomatic disease from the Indian variant a couple of weeks after the second dose, and AZ is 60%, then what is wrong with saying Pfizer is "way out in front" at preventing symptomatic disease? (I note that they say the longer gap may be a factor here, so the difference may drop).

Surely, when it comes to less severe symptoms, it's more beneficial to get Pfizer as current data stands? Does this not have implications for health care workers in the field?

The reason for the lower efficacy for AZ is mentioned in the study. Its due to the shorter follow up period. AZ was rolled out a month later and takes longer to build up efficacy so the results may be a bit skewed.

We seen from the PHE report last week that over a 12 week follow up period AZ can match Pfizer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Paul Reid on Radio 1 saying its difficult to get exact numbers of vaccines administered through GPs given the issues being faced however he expects close to 300k doses in the coming week to be administered in total

Also said that 2.4 million vaccines administered.

Anything above 50 to 60 % in a vaccine preventing illness is excellent .
    The numbers for serious disease are well above the 80s which is most important , for both these vaccines with this variant .
    Also those numbers will most likely increase over a number of weeks .
    We are very lucky to have such great performing vaccines .

Ah I do understand your perspective and agree that if you are unfortunate to get this disease,then having had a vaccine in 8 or 9 out of 10 cases will have stopped you dying or being in hospital
    But avoiding it alltogether does that too aswell as avoiding it altogether which is where pfizer is winning
    Not having covid at all is it goes without saying a better outcome than having it and not needing hospital or than having it,needing hospital but not dying

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

90% efficient doesn't mean you have only a 10% chance of ending up in hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Cork2021 wrote: »
    It’s surely possible that we can get another 35% vaccinated with a first dose by the 30th of June? Still have 38 days to do it

It gets slower now because all the people who got Pfizer and Modena in the May ramp up need second doses in June.(assuming we continue at the 250-300k rate)

Advertisement