Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Yeah it's BS. Started by the French media btw who probably just wanted to put the boot in because they lost.

Your man has said he will take a drugs test to prove it.

I really can’t believe people actually believe this BS. As if they would just have a few lines of coke casually sitting out on the table in the middle of Eurovision. I mean, if you were going to do it you’d at least sneak off to the bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

LizT wrote: »
    I really can’t believe people actually believe this BS. As if they would just have a few lines of coke casually sitting out on the table in the middle of Eurovision. I mean, if you were going to do it you’d at least sneak off to the bathroom.

Exactly! I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if they were doing coke, but not in full view of everyone! The guy denied it though and said he doesn’t even do drugs. He didn’t even have to go that far in his denial, as anyone who knows him could call him out on his BS, so I’m inclined to believe him. He even claimed he would do a drug test.

Hopefully these false claims and all the extra publicity only serves to further their profile. Not the worst publicity for a rock ‘n’ roll band!

fryup wrote: »
    way too risky having that "bald chap"

she'd probably end the performance with a political gesture.. tear up a picture of the queen or the pope or someone else she's got a beef with

She has quite an impressive record of correctly calling people out.

Only a couple of decades ahead of everyone on the Catholic church.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    the winner from 2019 was way worse to name just one

One of the best winning songs in many years actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

EBU statement on Måneskin in the ESC Green Room during the Grand Final

We are aware of the speculation surrounding the video clip of the Italian winners of the Eurovision Song Contest in the Green Room last night. The band have strongly refuted the allegations of drug use and the singer in question will take a voluntary drug test after arriving home. This was requested by them last night but could not be immediately organized by the EBU. The band, their management and head of delegation have informed us that no drugs were present in the Green Room and explained that a glass was broken at their table and it was being cleared by the singer. The EBU can confirm broken glass was found after an on site check. We are still looking at footage carefully and will update with further information in due course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

That Switzerland Song sounds a lot like Adele Someone Like You

... said no one ever :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 72,238 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Anybody think Italy only won out of sympathy, as they were the country hit worst by the pandemic last year?

I reckon his buddy was only giving him the gentle nudge to let him know he was on camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Anybody think Italy only won out of sympathy, as they were the country hit worst by the pandemic last year?

To be honest, that didn't even cross my mind. I doubt it was a sympathy vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I reckon his buddy was only giving him the gentle nudge to let him know he was on camera.

The drug talk is nonsensical to be quite honest

• Advertisement

The drug talk is nonsensical to be quite honest

Yup, not a lick of logic to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,482 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nope... the poor Spanish lad didnt get much of a sympathy vote.

The Italians won cos they sent a formidable act who has already won San Remo and used to playing big gigs across Europe. You could see they were thriving on the big stage.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭archfi

Nope.
    i mean the Norway guy showing his ticking Tourette's symptoms and the Spanish guy telling the world the song was 'for my mom, my mom's dead' live on stage didn't work out.
    Thankfully, ESC doesn't depend on blubbery backstories or virtue signalling, at least without a fairly decent tune and performance to back it up - and hopefully never will!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

No

• Registered Users Posts: 28,956 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Have to say, that never even occurred to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

I also think it's brilliant that none of the top songs were in English and that an Italian song actually won. There are brilliant music industries in Europe in the European languages. Great to break away from the domination of English. Especially when ironically, the two English speaking countries in Europe have performed so dismally of recent years. And add Australia to them this year.

I don't think it's "brilliant" that none of the top songs were in English. It's primarilty designed to be a song writing competition and when you can't even understand the lyrics that's not great.
    Wasn't the idea originally of the Eurovision song contest to sing in your own language?..but it was found that the English singing entries seemed to do better in the results, most likely due to the fact alot of participants want to forge international careers and what other language to speak/sing in only english.

Sinead O Connor is wondering over on Twitter why she was never asked to represent Ireland, her views on some things might be off the wall but she sure can sing.

I think there might be a few countries still who would be offended when she'd tear up a picture of the pope at the end of her song

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

reniwren wrote: »
    I found most entrants were not able to sing the song they recorded, especially the likes of UK and Ireland who are too reliant on pitch correction in post production.

Thats a good point, thought that myself, alot of the live vocals were poor.
    There was a huge difference between the studio and live version.

I'm disappointed that Italy won, its a very mediocre song.
    A knock off White Stripes attempt that has no chorus.

The enjoyment of the competition has diminished alot in latter years, the outcome is just so predictable.
    The bookies were right yet again, there is very little surprise or suspense when the favourite continually wins.

How do the bookies get it right so often, is it based on Spotify plays, Youtube views, single sales etc.
    They seem to have a fool proof algorithm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,482 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It would be nice to get a translation into english option on the broadcast... even for some of the songs supposedly in english!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I don’t either, do you? Or are you just being polemical?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Italy winning for that reason came across my mind, but not so sure it holds anything. The Lithuania song about dancing at home on your own, it was pretty relevant!

Portugal's final lyric to their song was "Maybe not tonight" doesn't exactly inspire confidence as a winning song either, but surely doesn't really impact the points?

There was a few folks that made the songs personal with their stories but it didn't really seem to translate into points.

A strong performance usually wins regardless of the backstories

• Registered Users Posts: 30,352 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It would be nice to get a translation into english option on the broadcast... even for some of the songs supposedly in english!

They don’t know what I’m talking about
    You’re dirty, bros, full of mud
    Cig stains between your fingers
    Me with a cig walkingI’m sorry but I really believe
    That I can make this jump
    Even if the road is uphill
    That’s why I’m training now
    And good evening ladies and gentlemen
    Get the actors out
    You’d better touch your nuts
    (Eurovision version: You better not make any more mistakes)
    You better shut up and be quiet

People here are strange like drug dealers
    I’ve been locked out too many nights
    Now I’m gonna kick the doorways
    Lookin’ up like a climber

So excuse me, mom, for staying out all the time
    I’m crazy but different from them
    And you’re out of your mind but different from them
    We’re out of our minds but different from them

Me
    I’ve written pages and pages
    I’ve seen salt then tears
    These men in the car
    Don’t climb the rapids

Written on a tombstone
    In my house there is no God
    But if you find the sense of time
    You will rise from your oblivion

And no wind can stop
    The natural power
    From the right point of view
    Of the wind you feel the thrill

With wax wings on your back
    I’ll seek out that height
    If you want to stop me try again
    Try cutting off my head

Because
    I’m out of my mind but different from them

People talk unfortunately
    They talk, they don’t know what they’re talking about
    Take me where I’m floating
    I’m short of air here

People are talking unfortunately
    They talk, they don’t know what they are talking about
    Take me where I am floating
    I’m short of air here

People are talking unfortunately
    They talk, they don’t know what the f**k they’re talking about
    (Eurovision version: They don’t know what they’re talking about)
    Take me where I’m floating
    I’m short of air here

But I’m out of my mind but different from them
    We’re different from them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

through his grited teeth...

"you're on camera stop sortin FFS!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

One of the best winning songs in many years actually.

If it was the guy at the piano who performed prior to the voting results last night ?

I thought it was utter rubbish

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    I don’t either, do you? Or are you just being polemical?

No, I think Italy definitely deserved it.

Just some people on social media have suggested it could be a sympathy vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I don't think it's "brilliant" that none of the top songs were in English. It's primarilty designed to be a song writing competition and when you can't even understand the lyrics that's not great.

That's your preference a lot of people simply don't need to be a linguist to enjoy what they deem an earworm.

Countless songs in English have nonsense or incomprehensible lyrics that even though you know what is being said you don't need to evaluate them too hard when overall the song delivers without much thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^

and most of them use every english cliche in the book

Really enjoyed last night’s show, and this thread was hilarious (of course). :D

I was gutted that Ukraine didn’t win, and that Denmark didn’t qualify for the final.

I was also surprised that Malta didn’t do as well as predicted.

Once again, hats off to The Netherlands for putting on a great show despite the circumstances.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sienad o connor would be awful

Drama queen, very high maintenance. Constantly looking for attention

She’d probably stop her performance to do some sort of bs statement rather than , y’know, actually singing the damn song ...

It’s a no from me Bob

• Advertisement

Apologies if this has been posted already, but thought it was interesting to see from the breakdown of the televote that the top three with the public - Italy, Ukraine and France - got at least one point from every country. Italy didn't even get any 1's - their lowest score was 2 points, from the Netherlands.

Finland finished 4th with the public and only one country (Georgia) gave them no points.

So the public definitely had clear favourites this year!

Looking at Ireland, was very surprised to see UK coming in 21st with the Irish televote; we've given the Brits at least one point for worse songs than that before! The Irish public and jury agreed on the rankings for Cyprus (13th), Israel (20th) and Albania (26th/last). The biggest differences were Italy (5th in televote, 17th in jury), Finland (6th in televote, 24th in jury) and Belgium (24th in televote, 8th in jury).

Advertisement