Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 58 ✭✭mikeorange

duffman13 wrote: »
    Well the main substance of the PHE report is to get 2nd doses out ASAP particularly with AZ. Lots due 2nd doses around now to end of June particularly with HCW. Hopefully they will be sped up where possible

What I would like to see is more detail provided in our daily figures, as in who's getting infected.

So people get a sense how good the vaccines are

524 daily cases

500 cases in non vaccinated/ previous non pcr confirmed

24 cases in vaccinated etc

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

With the 45 year olds registering today is there any word on if we're moving on to the 44-40s from tomorrow or if we have to wait a few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

astrofool wrote:
    Where are you getting the data for those figures?

Data is available on the BBC news app. I'm on phone at the moment and can't post links.

The UK decision to spread out the first & 2nd dose might come back to bite them in the ass. 12 weeks between first and second dose of pfizer when it should be 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

iguana wrote: »
    With the 45 year olds registering today is there any word on if we're moving on to the 44-40s from tomorrow or if we have to wait a few days?

No word yet

km79 wrote: »
    No word yet

I'm getting so antsy about it. I mean I know that if we aren't invited to start registering from tomorrow it's because we would be waiting longer to get an actual appointment. But I've had it in my head all week that I might get to register on Wednesday and I don't want to wait!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'm getting so antsy about it. I mean I know that if we aren't invited to start registering from tomorrow it's because we would be waiting longer to get an actual appointment. But I've had it in my head all week that I might get to register on Wednesday and I don't want to wait!:o

It’s hard being so close alright

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Hollister2020

Hi folks, im due to get my vaccine tomorrow afternoon... i seem to have developed a headcold over the weekend.. its only slight, definitely have had worse ! Was hoping i might be better by tomorrow but so far there is no sign of it clearing ! I cant seem to find any info anywhere which says whether there are any stipulations to getting the vaccine while having a cold/flu etc. Do any of you know if i can still go ahead and get it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

You’re not supposed to if you have had COVID like symptoms in the past 7 days.
    Hi folks, im due to get my vaccine tomorrow afternoon... i seem to have developed a headcold over the weekend.. its only slight, definitely have had worse ! Was hoping i might be better by tomorrow but so far there is no sign of it clearing ! I cant seem to find any info anywhere which says whether there are any stipulations to getting the vaccine while having a cold/flu etc. Do any of you know if i can still go ahead and get it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭HBC08

civdef wrote: »
    You’re not supposed to if you have had COVID like symptoms in the past 7 days.

A headcold isn't Covid symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Hollister2020

HBC08 wrote: »
    A headcold isn't Covid symptoms.
    I was just about to reply, the only thing i have is a VERY SLIGHT stuffy nose ! I have googled the symptoms and it doesnt come up as a symptom of covid !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

mikeorange wrote: »
    What I would like to see is more detail provided in our daily figures, as in who's getting infected.

So people get a sense how good the vaccines are

524 daily cases

500 cases in non vaccinated/ previous non pcr confirmed

24 cases in vaccinated etc

I'm not sure that's a great idea

There are probably a fair few infections in the days immediately after vaccination due to the protection not properly kicking in.

But if people see that there were 40 cases in vaccinated individuals many would panic and the likes of ISAG would be on rte saying the vaccines aren't working etc. Even if those 40 cases were within a few days of the first dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am getting Pfizer tomorrow. I have been looking forward to it for a long time but weirdly the closer I get to the jab, the more nervous I get. I suppose mRNA is still an experimental/trial vaccine and not a true vaccine by traditional standards. I will certainly take it but I will do so under the knowledge that I will be genetically modified tomorrow :)
    Did anyone else feel apprehensive the closer they got to the jab?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

km79 wrote: »
    It’s hard being so close alright
    Based on past experience, it's highly likely they'll just make an announcement today or tomorrow saying "alright lads, vaccine portal for 40-44 year olds is opening today".

We're so used to getting weeks or months notice of appointments that the speed of the vaccination programme is still catching us off guard.

I am getting Pfizer tomorrow. I have been looking forward to it for a long time but weirdly the closer I get to the jab, the more nervous I get. I suppose mRNA is still an experimental/trial vaccine and not a true vaccine by traditional standards. I will certainly take it but I will do so under the knowledge that I will be genetically modified tomorrow :)

I was nervous and worried. Once i got in there ( hardly even felt the jab) i now couldn’t careless and glad i got it done. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It is not experimental or trial. The experiments and trials have completed long ago. One entire country has been vaccinated with it. No bravery is required here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,421 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Wolf359f wrote: »
    It's very simple, anyone hospitalized with covid would be tested. You can check the strain they have (with hospitalizations so low, it's extremely important strains are sequenced). They can also access records if the patient was vaccinated and which vaccine it was. They would also know if they received 2 doses and how long after a dose they may have contracted covid.

Sounds simple to me.

Sure, but they probably aren't doing that. I honestly don't think the medical community is as worried about the variants as the media are about it, no variant so far has shown an immune escape which is really the only thing to be worried about.

What would be a worry is for people who won't get vaccinated for whatever reason, the virus will become endemic at least until the world is vaccinated, those at risk (older than 40 or have a condition) and not getting vaccinated are not going to have a great life for the next 18 months.
    Wolf359f wrote: »

Thanks for that, so it's not a reduced effectiveness but a comparison of those presenting with symptoms and/or tested after being dosed with 1 shot of a vaccine and looking at the incidence of those variants vs. incidence in the non-vaccinated. It also doesn't cover when people got infected (1 week after dose 1 vs. 12 weeks after dose 1 for example) but is really saying that if you're on a 2 shot dosing schedule go back and get the second shot.

This doesn't look like it would cause a worry for J&J given that their phase 3 trials were done when similar variant strains were around but there is no data in those studies covering J&J so it's only possible to make educated guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭User1998

Lumen wrote: »
    It is not experimental or trial. The experiments and trials have completed long ago. One entire country has been vaccinated with it. No bravery is required here. :)

Actually all vaccines are currently still in their trial stage. The ones that have been approved are currently at trial stage 4.

Still no bravery required

seamus wrote: »
    Based on past experience, it's highly likely they'll just make an announcement today or tomorrow saying "alright lads, vaccine portal for 40-44 year olds is opening today".

We're so used to getting weeks or months notice of appointments that the speed of the vaccination programme is still catching us off guard.

It is what happened last week. The portal opening for 45-49 was announced the afternoon before. So hopefully we'll hear later today that it's continuing down in the morning. But even if it doesn't, it doesn't mean any difference in how long it will take for us to actually get vaccinated. (I still want to register on Wednesday!)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,039 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The CDC have changed the guidelines for detecting cases in the vaccinated, sequencing should now have an RT-PCR Ct value ≤28 for vaccinated. It remains 35-40 for the unvaccinated depending on manufacturer.
    I'm not sure why they don't have the same value for both but a lower CT count is going to produce lower cases so it's not really comparing like for like if you've different guidence for different people.
    If we were to start reporting cases in each group I'd hope we would keep the tests the same.

It would be interesting to see it broken down by region and place of infections, Limerick for example is being called out for people not behaving but the University Hospital is over capacity again with 83 people on trolleys the other day, that environment can't be great for controlling spread.

I'm not sure they'll release the data based on what Micky32 said above.

• Advertisement

It is what happened last week. The portal opening for 45-49 was announced the afternoon before. So hopefully we'll hear later today that it's continuing down in the morning. But even if it doesn't, it doesn't mean any difference in how long it will take for us to actually get vaccinated. (I still want to register on Wednesday!)

Are they doing it by birth year or by birth date? i.e. does someone born in 1976 count as 45 or do they have to wait for their birthday to have passed before they can register.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

astrofool wrote: »
    Are they doing it by birth year or by birth date? i.e. does someone born in 1976 count as 45 or do they have to wait for their birthday to have passed before they can register.

Yes by year of birth. Which makes sense in terms of portal design.

• Site Banned Posts: 58 ✭✭mikeorange

I'm not sure that's a great idea

There are probably a fair few infections in the days immediately after vaccination due to the protection not properly kicking in.

But if people see that there were 40 cases in vaccinated individuals many would panic and the likes of ISAG would be on rte saying the vaccines aren't working etc. Even if those 40 cases were within a few days of the first dose.

People need to know that too, hiding information is how we are in this mess

No harm in letting people know they have to be careful till 2nd dose.

Yes totally agree. The good thing is in the grand scheme of things it won’t be long before we are all sporting our second shots ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Should kinda be common sense though

It's in the news properly now but numbers against Indian variant look very similar to SA variant:
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/covid-vaccine/vaccines-offer-high-levels-of-protection-against-indian-variant-1131368.html

I'd also call issue with them saying 33% effective vs. 50% effective for UK variant vs. original strain when really effectiveness is keeping severe symptoms away and not dying which they don't mention at all... (let alone that later vaccines efficacy reports will be with the new strains in their trials so Curvac, J&J, Novavax numbers won't be comparable to AZ/Pfizer/Moderna).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Lots of people seem to forget there was a 6 day gap between the portal opening from 50 to 49 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Lots of people seem to forget there was a 6 day gap between the portal opening from 50 to 49 year olds.

Yeah, would expect similar here.

Think so far the portal has roughly an average opened every 2 weeks?

Opens and has 5 separate registration days and then closes for about 1 - 1.5 weeks again.

Roughly.

Cloudio9 wrote: »

There was a gap between each decade but no gap within each decade. So a gap between 60 and 59 and between 50 and 49 but no gap from 65 to 64 or 55 to 54. Which is why everyone is wondering. Will the 40s be the first decade to have a gap within it. Which there could be as it's a larger demographic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,196 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

astrofool wrote: »
    It's in the news properly now but numbers against Indian variant look very similar to SA variant:
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/covid-vaccine/vaccines-offer-high-levels-of-protection-against-indian-variant-1131368.html

I'd also call issue with them saying 33% effective vs. 50% effective for UK variant vs. original strain when really effectiveness is keeping severe symptoms away and not dying which they don't mention at all... (let alone that later vaccines efficacy reports will be with the new strains in their trials so Curvac, J&J, Novavax numbers won't be comparable to AZ/Pfizer/Moderna).

Yes there's a large misunderstanding really when the word effective is used.

I don't think most of the public really understand what is meant by efficency of the vaccine but that's the fault of the reporting on such.

Advertisement