Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Posted yesterday on the radar thread how the east/south east was dry all day!

https://twitter.com/Harry_Palmer1/status/1360615934344495104

The new girl nearly corpsed doing the weather either yesterday or on the farming forecast. She's a bit nervous still.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The new girl nearly corpsed doing the weather either yesterday or on the farming forecast. She's a bit nervous still.

Was good tonight, and looked even better ;)

I happened to flick on the TG4 forecast while scrolling just before 7 PM and the presenter on there was a knockout. Dunno how much she knows about warms fronts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I happened to flick on the TG4 forecast while scrolling just before 7 PM and the presenter on there was a knockout. Dunno how much she knows about warms fronts though.

https://www.tg4.ie/ga/player/catagoir/news/seinn/?pid=6238306346001&title=An%20Aimsir%20L%C3%A1ithreach&series=An%20Aimsir%20L%C3%A1ithreach&genre=Cursai%20Reatha&pcode=614643

• Advertisement

It won't play for some reason. Never mind!

It won't play for some reason. Never mind!

Try it in Chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Don Juan II

I've heard weather reports from Met Eireann that says: "On All Irish Coastal Waters and on the Irish Sea"

Is the "Irish Sea" not considered part of "All Irish Coastal Waters"?

I think Coastal waters is specifically within the 12m limit (or whatever it is currently), the Irish Sea obviously extends further.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Don Juan II

I think Coastal waters is specifically within the 12m limit (or whatever it is currently), the Irish Sea obviously extends further.

don't all the seas/oceans around Ireland extend further than 12 miles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Coastal water is that not including transitional water (mixed fresh/salt) which itself has a rough definition of one mile, and which supports shallow water ecosystems before the shelf drop into the deep ocean.

That doesn't nail it down, but in the Irish context I would take it as being all seas north, south and west of Ireland out to the continental shelf and the entire Irish Sea, which I determine is what MÉ refer to when they say "all Irish coastal waters and the Irish Sea"

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭zell12

murfo wrote: »
    I'm no Gaeilgeoir but I'm pretty sure that means "flat earther". Surprised she took a science job ;)
    Tsk tsk

I don't remember this chap, before my time, but a rather pleasing short on the RTE Archives at the moment.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2021/0308/1202666-how-to-forecast-weather/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

I don't remember this chap, before my time, but a rather pleasing short on the RTE Archives at the moment.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2021/0308/1202666-how-to-forecast-weather/

Seamus Miller Head of Forecasting in Met Eireann in the 80's following a period presenting the forecast on TV.

don't all the seas/oceans around Ireland extend further than 12 miles?

Not for the purpose of the Sea Area Forecasts, unless they've been changed very recently. They cover out to 30nm.

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/marine-inland-lakes/sea-area-forecast-terminology

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Coastal water is that not including transitional water (mixed fresh/salt) which itself has a rough definition of one mile, and which supports shallow water ecosystems before the shelf drop into the deep ocean.

That doesn't nail it down, but in the Irish context I would take it as being all seas north, south and west of Ireland out to the continental shelf and the entire Irish Sea, which I determine is what MÉ refer to when they say "all Irish coastal waters and the Irish Sea"

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/marine-inland-lakes/sea-area-forecast-terminology

30 nm.

A right jumble of measurements - visibility is metric, nautical distance is imperial, wind speed is Beaufort and frontal movement in knots.

Is there anything to be said for rationalising and going metric in all measurements?

A right jumble of measurements - visibility is metric, nautical distance is imperial, wind speed is Beaufort and frontal movement in knots.

Is there anything to be said for rationalising and going metric in all measurements?

Absolutely.

Not sure who determines units but Maritime traditions very strong.

Dos not Aviation not still use feet in some instances?

piuswal wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Not sure who determines units but Maritime traditions very strong.

Dos not Aviation not still use feet in some instances?

Feet is used for altitude, nautical miles for distance and speed (knot) and metres for visibility. In the US, however, they use statute miles for visibility...

In Russia and some Asian countries, the metre is used for altitude, so when switching to their airspace, pilots must change their altimeters to read metres.

My favourite unit is the furlong per fortnite...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Sorry. I'm new here. Can somebody please tell me what was Met Eireann's name for the last storm and what is the name of the next to come? Did Storm Evert materialise? Thanks.

Anyone know why they are literally phoning in the weather forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Anyone know why they are literally phoning in the weather forecast?

A standard backup phone line is used if the digital link between Met HQ and RTE goes down

Its been like this for a few days now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Given the times we're living in, could it be that the forecast is being done from the forecasters home?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Leonita

They seem to have removed the webcams from their website recently wonder why that was?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Leonita wrote: »
    They seem to have removed the webcams from their website recently wonder why that was?

GDPR apparently.

Technical issue. I think it was Wednesday, on my way home in the car they went to the weather at 17:59 but there was just a crackling sound and then they went straight to the Angelus (why the hell is that still on national radio and TV, by the way?!). They didn't mention anything afterwards and went to the news headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Pleased to see Met Eireann have cleaned up their rain radar on the home page of their website.

The map of Ireland no longer has the unnecessary 12 mile territorial water limits and motorways cluttering up the display. The colour legend seems to be modified too and the animation intervals are changed from 5 to 15 mins. Sferics are now neater and easier to see than previously.

A big improvement overall imho.

Edit: Actually on closer inspection it looks like they're just using a larger version of their previous radar from their old website - which was easier on the eye anyway.

• Advertisement

Comhra wrote: »
    Pleased to see Met Eireann have cleaned up their rain radar on the home page of their website.

The map of Ireland no longer has the unnecessary 12 mile territorial water limits and motorways cluttering up the display. The colour legend seems to be modified too and the animation intervals are changed from 5 to 15 mins. Sferics are now neater and easier to see than previously.

A big improvement overall imho.

Edit: Actually on closer inspection it looks like they're just using a larger version of their previous radar from their old website - which was easier on the eye anyway.

It hasn't changed for me...

553864.jpg

Advertisement