Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Mav11

tphase wrote: »
    anyone know why the web cams are unavailable? Link to them is gone
    GDPR issues, I'd guess

Any update on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Michelle Dillon on Claire Byrne Live just now giving some insights into the possibilities of snow for the coming days. Very good explanation of the weather systems at play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

tphase wrote: »
    anyone know why the web cams are unavailable? Link to them is gone
    GDPR issues, I'd guess

Its a great pity, i really liked looking at them especially in interesting conditions like we have a t the moment.
    Its a shame if it is GDPR that they feel makes them have to take them down, they mostly just showed fields, dont really see any GDPR type infringements there?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/cams/

You can see what conditions are like across the country. Select a county to save time. Also has air and road temperature from every location listed updated every 10 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭tphase

Supercell wrote: »
    Its a great pity, i really liked looking at them especially in interesting conditions like we have a t the moment.
    Its a shame if it is GDPR that they feel makes them have to take them down, they mostly just showed fields, dont really see any GDPR type infringements there?
    Some of the cameras did show peoples houses. One of the Malin Head cameras was taken offline some time ago - I suspect someone complained about it infringing on their privacy and that triggered ME to have a wider discussion about privacy issues in respect to all of their cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Does anybody have a problem with the Met Eireann widget.
    Mine shows Dublin even though I'm in Wexford.
    App has full permission and location.
    When I press refresh it stays on Dublin.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Bejubby wrote: »
    Thanks
    It refuses to "save" a location. I have two, for two places that I'm frequently in, and it persistently relocates from one to the other for no apparent reason.

Not the end of the world, but really annoying!

Bejubby wrote: »
    Thanks

Whole website is a joke shop, trying to access the radar a trial in itself. Just plain awkward and clunky, even getting the forecast requires pulling and dragging. It needs to be scrapped and legacy edition reinstated for simple accessibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Whole website is a joke shop, trying to access the radar a trial in itself. Just plain awkward and clunky, even getting the forecast requires pulling and dragging. It needs to be scrapped and legacy edition reinstated for simple accessibility.

All the info is there but needs a tidy up,grand after that ,except for my location issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Bloc

Did anyone notice that the radar is missing the whole of county Dublin and that there's a permanent echo just out into the Irish sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Posted yesterday on the radar thread how the east/south east was dry all day!

https://twitter.com/Harry_Palmer1/status/1360615934344495104

The new girl nearly corpsed doing the weather either yesterday or on the farming forecast. She's a bit nervous still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The new girl nearly corpsed doing the weather either yesterday or on the farming forecast. She's a bit nervous still.

Was good tonight, and looked even better ;)

I happened to flick on the TG4 forecast while scrolling just before 7 PM and the presenter on there was a knockout. Dunno how much she knows about warms fronts though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I happened to flick on the TG4 forecast while scrolling just before 7 PM and the presenter on there was a knockout. Dunno how much she knows about warms fronts though.

https://www.tg4.ie/ga/player/catagoir/news/seinn/?pid=6238306346001&title=An%20Aimsir%20L%C3%A1ithreach&series=An%20Aimsir%20L%C3%A1ithreach&genre=Cursai%20Reatha&pcode=614643

• Advertisement

It won't play for some reason. Never mind!

It won't play for some reason. Never mind!

Try it in Chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Don Juan II

I've heard weather reports from Met Eireann that says: "On All Irish Coastal Waters and on the Irish Sea"

Is the "Irish Sea" not considered part of "All Irish Coastal Waters"?

I think Coastal waters is specifically within the 12m limit (or whatever it is currently), the Irish Sea obviously extends further.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Don Juan II

I think Coastal waters is specifically within the 12m limit (or whatever it is currently), the Irish Sea obviously extends further.

don't all the seas/oceans around Ireland extend further than 12 miles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Coastal water is that not including transitional water (mixed fresh/salt) which itself has a rough definition of one mile, and which supports shallow water ecosystems before the shelf drop into the deep ocean.

That doesn't nail it down, but in the Irish context I would take it as being all seas north, south and west of Ireland out to the continental shelf and the entire Irish Sea, which I determine is what MÉ refer to when they say "all Irish coastal waters and the Irish Sea"

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,992 ✭✭✭✭zell12

murfo wrote: »
    I'm no Gaeilgeoir but I'm pretty sure that means "flat earther". Surprised she took a science job ;)
    Tsk tsk

I don't remember this chap, before my time, but a rather pleasing short on the RTE Archives at the moment.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2021/0308/1202666-how-to-forecast-weather/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

I don't remember this chap, before my time, but a rather pleasing short on the RTE Archives at the moment.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2021/0308/1202666-how-to-forecast-weather/

Seamus Miller Head of Forecasting in Met Eireann in the 80's following a period presenting the forecast on TV.

don't all the seas/oceans around Ireland extend further than 12 miles?

Not for the purpose of the Sea Area Forecasts, unless they've been changed very recently. They cover out to 30nm.

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/marine-inland-lakes/sea-area-forecast-terminology

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Coastal water is that not including transitional water (mixed fresh/salt) which itself has a rough definition of one mile, and which supports shallow water ecosystems before the shelf drop into the deep ocean.

That doesn't nail it down, but in the Irish context I would take it as being all seas north, south and west of Ireland out to the continental shelf and the entire Irish Sea, which I determine is what MÉ refer to when they say "all Irish coastal waters and the Irish Sea"

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/marine-inland-lakes/sea-area-forecast-terminology

30 nm.

A right jumble of measurements - visibility is metric, nautical distance is imperial, wind speed is Beaufort and frontal movement in knots.

Is there anything to be said for rationalising and going metric in all measurements?

A right jumble of measurements - visibility is metric, nautical distance is imperial, wind speed is Beaufort and frontal movement in knots.

Is there anything to be said for rationalising and going metric in all measurements?

Absolutely.

Not sure who determines units but Maritime traditions very strong.

Dos not Aviation not still use feet in some instances?

piuswal wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Not sure who determines units but Maritime traditions very strong.

Dos not Aviation not still use feet in some instances?

Feet is used for altitude, nautical miles for distance and speed (knot) and metres for visibility. In the US, however, they use statute miles for visibility...

In Russia and some Asian countries, the metre is used for altitude, so when switching to their airspace, pilots must change their altimeters to read metres.

My favourite unit is the furlong per fortnite...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Sorry. I'm new here. Can somebody please tell me what was Met Eireann's name for the last storm and what is the name of the next to come? Did Storm Evert materialise? Thanks.

Anyone know why they are literally phoning in the weather forecast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Anyone know why they are literally phoning in the weather forecast?

A standard backup phone line is used if the digital link between Met HQ and RTE goes down

Its been like this for a few days now.

Given the times we're living in, could it be that the forecast is being done from the forecasters home?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leonita

They seem to have removed the webcams from their website recently wonder why that was?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Leonita wrote: »
    They seem to have removed the webcams from their website recently wonder why that was?

GDPR apparently.

Technical issue. I think it was Wednesday, on my way home in the car they went to the weather at 17:59 but there was just a crackling sound and then they went straight to the Angelus (why the hell is that still on national radio and TV, by the way?!). They didn't mention anything afterwards and went to the news headlines.

Pleased to see Met Eireann have cleaned up their rain radar on the home page of their website.

The map of Ireland no longer has the unnecessary 12 mile territorial water limits and motorways cluttering up the display. The colour legend seems to be modified too and the animation intervals are changed from 5 to 15 mins. Sferics are now neater and easier to see than previously.

A big improvement overall imho.

Edit: Actually on closer inspection it looks like they're just using a larger version of their previous radar from their old website - which was easier on the eye anyway.

• Advertisement

Comhra wrote: »
    Pleased to see Met Eireann have cleaned up their rain radar on the home page of their website.

The map of Ireland no longer has the unnecessary 12 mile territorial water limits and motorways cluttering up the display. The colour legend seems to be modified too and the animation intervals are changed from 5 to 15 mins. Sferics are now neater and easier to see than previously.

A big improvement overall imho.

Edit: Actually on closer inspection it looks like they're just using a larger version of their previous radar from their old website - which was easier on the eye anyway.

It hasn't changed for me...

553864.jpg

It hasn't changed for me...

Here's the image I'm getting:

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/recent-rainfall-radar/12-hour-rainfall-radar

CL5KTs6l.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Maybe it’s just me but just cannot warm to the Joanne lady who does the weather.

Very superficial/fake presentation or something.

Comhra wrote: »

Ah yes, that's on the radar page. Your original comment said on the Homepage. Anyway, yes, it does look sharper there alright.

She's actually quite bad at presentation, whatever about her technical skills. I find the forecasts generally far too superficial and tending to spend too much time on stuff we know has happened and not enough about why the weather is doing what it's doing in the bigger scheme of things like Arctic high pressure's effects on the jet stream and "stalled" slow rotation low pressure areas.

They are probably told not to bother with that stuff.

Ah yes, that's on the radar page. Your original comment said on the Homepage. Anyway, yes, it does look sharper there alright.

Oops, apologies...my mistake. Still it's an improvement.

• Advertisement

She's actually quite bad at presentation, whatever about her technical skills. I find the forecasts generally far too superficial and tending to spend too much time on stuff we know has happened and not enough about why the weather is doing what it's doing in the bigger scheme of things like Arctic high pressure's effects on the jet stream and "stalled" slow rotation low pressure areas.

Rightly so too in fairness. Whilst all in this forum like the scientific and techie side of things, the target audience of a forecast require just that - a forecast!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

Are the colours of the temperature forecasts consistent by time of year? Eg an 8 degrees in January might be yellow or orange but in the middle of a warm spell would be perhaps light blue? Its still the same temperature regardless. Im fairly sure ive noticed this before but may be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Atrocious is the word to describe her presentation skills, I either walk out of the room or switch her off when she is on.
    I think the main issue with not showing the jet stream etc like the met forecasts is down to the graphics. Most of the time it's just the few icons of weather around the map or the forecasters personal maps of past rain and clouds.
    It's very hit and miss with each presenter using their own stuff instead of the set piece to use. Met uk youtube presentations and bbc weather is soo much more professional and easy to understand with all the info given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,665 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Met seemed to be conflicted for Dublin today, their radar showed a belt of rain clearing from the west around lunchtime but their hour by hour weather suggested it would be raining all day. for me it seemed clear that the radar was going to be the right one

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jesus who wrote this? Shockingly written forecast, makes almost no sense. In the Munster forecast for tomorrow.
    Met &#201 wrote: »
    TOMORROW - TUESDAY 25TH MAY
    Cloudy tomorrow with outbreaks of rain continuing through much of the day. Good sunny spells elsewhere with well scattered showers. Rain will gradually become confined to southwestern coastal fringes through the afternoon with drier conditions elsewhere. Highest afternoon temperatures of 11 to 15 degrees Celsius in mostly light to moderate northwesterly or variable breezes, fresher along southwestern coasts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement