Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Renewal.

Options
  • 05-11-2020 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Well here we go again :D.
    2005 R1150 GS Adventure.
    59 year old rider with full licence for 30 years and full ten year plus NCB.

Principal fully comp €375

Carole Nash fully comp €313

Liberty full comp €383

Currently insured with Principal so waiting for a return call with a "premium review".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

So Principal has dropped premium to €300 and I’d call that a good return on a €00.20 cent phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

So Principal has dropped premium to €300 and I’d call that a good return on a €00.20 cent phone call.

im with principal. gor my renewal in the postm €402..having paid 360 last year. wasnt impressed. rang up said id be happy to pay 250 and pay immedietely 6 weeks in advance. theybcame back with 280..fully comp. cant complain. progress on last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

Although I say well done on getting a few quid off, its still frustrating that insurance companies carry on this way just throwing out numbers hoping you'll just pay without question (as many do) and then regularly reduce the price when challenged. It's dishonest and a reflection of how badly regulated the industry is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Nozebleed wrote: »
    im with principal. gor my renewal in the postm €402..having paid 360 last year. wasnt impressed. rang up said id be happy to pay 250 and pay immedietely 6 weeks in advance. theybcame back with 280..fully comp. cant complain. progress on last year.
    Out of curiosity on the €402 one you got in the post what was the breakdown of the cost? it should be stated on the letter.

What was the premium and if any what was the broking fee/ professional fee as some of them call it?

Out of curiosity on the €402 one you got in the post what was the breakdown of the cost? it should be stated on the letter.

What was the premium and if any what was the broking fee/ professional fee as some of them call it?

Carol Nashe admitted €80 was their broker fee. I then asked them if they get commission from AXA and they confirmed they did. So next I asked why was the broker fee being charged if they were getting remuneration from the insurer ;) . The poor young fellow had no idea how to answer. I’m waiting for a call back from a supervisor :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Carol Nashe admitted €80 was their broker fee. I then asked them if they get commission from AXA and they confirmed they did. So next I asked why was the broker fee being charged if they were getting remuneration from the insurer ;) . The poor young fellow had no idea how to answer. I’m waiting for a call back from a supervisor :D

They get both

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

There's no need to wait for a call back from a supervisor, just ask to have the fee removed. I have never heard of an occasion where they refuse to do so when asked.

Nobody pays the broker fee. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,007 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nice one. I had similar this year but the other way around, was with CN, got a cheaper quote from P and CN matched it. All with the same underwriter and the same basic premium, the reduction of about €80 IIRC was from CN cutting their broker fee.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Mine went from 250 to 280 this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

AXA being typical w@nkers

9-B6-AD71-E-E787-40-F0-B706-F5-CE4-B9-BBBB7.jpg

• Advertisement

TheQ_Man wrote: »
    AXA being typical w@nkers

What type of bike ? Your age ? etc etc etc It say's 6 wheel discount available, have you a car and bike on it ? So many questions :D:D:D.

What type of bike ? Your age ? etc etc etc It say's 6 wheel discount available, have you a car and bike on it ? So many questions :D:D:D.

I’m 36

4 bikes
    3 years NCD
    Full licence 2 years
    Grade 2 Rider assessment as well

CN quoted me €388 fully comprehensive for the same bikes.

My car is a 7 seater family wagon. The insurance on that is €680

• Registered Users Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Carole Nash added 180 to my renewal quote when I rang to add 2 points.
    I said 2 points can't add 180.
    She said it doesn't but there was a discount included in my renewal which I lose.
    Good luck so!!
    I had 17 years no claims bonus with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Rang Carole nash to try and see if could lower my €323 renewal offer ... I had 3 points that had now expired but unfortunately I had got 3 more ... but either way... same situation ... over 10 years no claims, 3 points... they brought the renewal quote up to over 400 and blamed it on penalty points ... they eventually agreed to drop it to 375 but I said i wasn’t paying that for a bike I don’t drive more than twice in the previous year due to Covid. Left it lie over last two weeks, rang principal the other nite and they offering €321, the whole time they were super professional and really helpful . Rang back Carole nash to see if they had woken up as I’ve been their customer for most of the last decade ... got a lad with no interests in call .... said he had to go through quite again as previous quote expired...spent over 20 mins on call.. then he couldn’t find my eircode and bang.. phone dropped! He had confirmed my phone no and email in the 20 mins previously so waited for 5 mins... no call!! Rang back and got a lovely lady.... told her what happened and said I’d spent over 10 -20 mins on line already and not going through it again... find that lad that rang me as I’m not letting him away ... poor girl went on and off call afew times and then came back and said he had system error and lost everything!!!! She was nice in fairness but had to spend another 20 mins to go through quote again ... and it was now 435 or something ... I laughed and quoted principal quote.. eventually best she could do was 395, 20 quid more than the quote I got two weeks ago!!!

Anyways needless to say I’m going with principal ... Carole Nash have lost a long time customer ... and made it clear they don’t give a damn

LillySV wrote: »
    Rang Carole nash to try and see if could lower my €323 renewal offer ... I had 3 points that had now expired but unfortunately I had got 3 more ... but either way... same situation ... over 10 years no claims, 3 points... they brought the renewal quote up to over 400 and blamed it on penalty points ... they eventually agreed to drop it to 375 but I said i wasn’t paying that for a bike I don’t drive more than twice in the previous year due to Covid. Left it lie over last two weeks, rang principal the other nite and they offering €321, the whole time they were super professional and really helpful . Rang back Carole nash to see if they had woken up as I’ve been their customer for most of the last decade ... got a lad with no interests in call .... said he had to go through quite again as previous quote expired...spent over 20 mins on call.. then he couldn’t find my eircode and bang.. phone dropped! He had confirmed my phone no and email in the 20 mins previously so waited for 5 mins... no call!! Rang back and got a lovely lady.... told her what happened and said I’d spent over 10 -20 mins on line already and not going through it again... find that lad that rang me as I’m not letting him away ... poor girl went on and off call afew times and then came back and said he had system error and lost everything!!!! She was nice in fairness but had to spend another 20 mins to go through quote again ... and it was now 435 or something ... I laughed and quoted principal quote.. eventually best she could do was 395, 20 quid more than the quote I got two weeks ago!!!

Anyways needless to say I’m going with principal ... Carole Nash have lost a long time customer ... and made it clear they don’t give a damn

No one was interested in haggling this year for some reason.
    I went with principal tpf&t on 5 bikes for around €360

blade1 wrote: »
    No one was interested in haggling this year for some reason.
    I went with principal tpf&t on 5 bikes for around €360
    I Principal are offer me comp for 1 sports bike for 321, which is same as caroles were last year . I think the main difference this year is Carole nash crew working at home and afew of them don’t give a **** when no one there to overhear them . Anyways either way, I don’t Care, their loss, thumbs up to principle who will be gettin my business going forward ðŸ‘

I Principal are offer me comp for 1 sports bike for 321, which is same as caroles were last year . I think the main difference this year is Carole nash crew working at home and afew of them don’t give a **** when no one there to overhear them . Anyways either way, I don’t Care, their loss, thumbs up to principle who will be gettin my business going forward ðŸ‘

My renewal with Carole Nash was 380 for fully comp on 5 bikes and when I added the 2 points they wanted 560.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbf lads. I'm not defending them at all but points impact your quotes. They lose you discounts and add costs. How much would you think points should add it a quote? I'm not in the insurance industry. But I'd expect probably anywhere up to 25 percent loading over someone with none.

listermint wrote: »
    Tbf lads. I'm not defending them at all but points impact your quotes. They lose you discounts and add costs. How much would you think points should add it a quote? I'm not in the insurance industry. But I'd expect probably anywhere up to 25 percent loading over someone with none.

I had lost my previous points during the year though so including my new points ,I had the exact same level of points as the year before . Most insurers say they only charge if over 5 points ...

Anyways what happened to the big shakeup the govt were going to do to the insurance industry/cartel to lower premiums ?

And how come I didn’t receive a penny in good will from Carole nash for the lack of driving during covid crisis ? My car insurance were able to send me Cheque for 30 quid and I was driving that a lot more than bike

I had lost my previous points during the year though so including my new points ,I had the exact same level of points as the year before . Most insurers say they only charge if over 5 points ...

Anyways what happened to the big shakeup the govt were going to do to the insurance industry/cartel to lower premiums ?

And how come I didn’t receive a penny in good will from Carole nash for the lack of driving during covid crisis ? My car insurance were able to send me Cheque for 30 quid and I was driving that a lot more than bike

I know of no insurers that say that tbh. Point is a black mark against your stats versus the next person. It's always been this way.

And tbh the motorcycle insurance in this country is actually pretty good. Our rates are actually reasonable. I mean yiz are insuring multiple bikes here at under a hundred a bike per year. You won't find phone insurance that goes that and a phone is a fraction of the value.

• Advertisement

I know of no insurers that say that tbh. Point is a black mark against your stats versus the next person. It's always been this way.

And tbh the motorcycle insurance in this country is actually pretty good. Our rates are actually reasonable. I mean yiz are insuring multiple bikes here at under a hundred a bike per year. You won't find phone insurance that goes that and a phone is a fraction of the value.

You can't compare to phones.
    You drop a phone out your hand and you could be claiming for a new one.

The point is after the year we have had there is no justification for prices being higher than the previous year and certainly not nearly 50% for 2 points.

Surely there has been less claims.

I wouldn't care if my insurance was say 1000 every year for the last 10 years and they added 50-100 for 2 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,007 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tbf lads. I'm not defending them at all but points impact your quotes. They lose you discounts and add costs. How much would you think points should add it a quote?

Nothing unless they were imposed in a court. The system where you take a big risk if you try to plead your case in court is the opposite of justice. So people just take the points whether they are fair or not, as the alternative is worse.

Penalty points are being totally abused by the insurance industry and it's a scam. Now somebody dumb enough to get convicted in court or get banned through penalty points totally deserves what they get as they have proven themselves to be a riskier driver.

My bike hasn't left the shed since last April (mostly my fault) but I renewed last June anyway and got no discount unlike health insurance or the car insurance. Not expecting one this renewal either.

Life ain't always empty.

I was only saying it to someone the other day, insurers are out to get their €30 rebate per policy back last year. There’s 3 policies in my house, it equates to €90. This is their way of doing it. Load you for the slightest reason, in my case the fact i own a Hayabusa was given by AXA.

Don’t forget, the higher the premium the higher the government tax take. Lower premium lower tax take. Granted action was taken on the cosine culture, but before the legislation was signed the solicitors were already looking at ways around it. Alan Shatter, himself a solicitor tried going after the legal profession when he was minister of justice, look what became of him in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

Things went the opposite way for me last year. Principal tried to gouge me on renewal and Carole Nash undercut them massively.

I hate that dumb 'shop around' advice from our so-called consumer regulators, but that's the way they've set it up to give the illusion of competition.

Nothing unless they were imposed in a court. The system where you take a big risk if you try to plead your case in court is the opposite of justice. So people just take the points whether they are fair or not, as the alternative is worse.

Penalty points are being totally abused by the insurance industry and it's a scam. Now somebody dumb enough to get convicted in court or get banned through penalty points totally deserves what they get as they have proven themselves to be a riskier driver.

My bike hasn't left the shed since last April (mostly my fault) but I renewed last June anyway and got no discount unlike health insurance or the car insurance. Not expecting one this renewal either.

Wasnt going to get into it but frig it I will... I got my points in a car ... a guard accused me of driving through red light ... I didn’t ... light had changed to yellow as I was crossing line and have cam video to prove it... said it to him and he said take it to court so! So basically take 3 points like a good man or pay a fortune to get a solicitor to represent ya in court!!! I rang the crowd that takes the fines and they confirmed I have to go to court to appeal it... no one will look at it until then... which is a disgrace ... so I took the cheaper option.. take the points...

Ps regarding no insurance ignoring 3 points ... my car insurers do

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tico1300

45 years old
    Full no claims
    Hayabusa & a bandit 1200 fully comp €361 with principal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I don't think the insurance is too bad here but it does feel very limiting starting out all down to lack of competition.

I live in Monaghan so have friends in the north - my friend is 31 and just got his full license about 9 months ago having no previous biking experience, literally.

He just got insured on a 2014 full spec BMW R1200GS TE worth guts of £9k for £550 comprehensive - with 0 NCB and licence less than a year.

My 125cc Varadero cost me approx. €560 for third party fire and theft but the CBF 600 would have been similar too.

This isn't a debate about the system of penalty points. It's about how points carry weight versus other drivers. You can either accept that's the reality . Which it is. As they do in every other country that has them . Or rage against the machine.

Either way I still believe bike insurance is far cheaper than any car and I count that as Fortunate hopefully that continues. One of few things in this country that isn't actually that bad.

Your lucky we aren't in Switzerland. Your points would mean a entirely different world of pain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I got my full licence after I renewed a month ago with Principal, rang them today to inform and they don't do mid policy adjustments which is a pain. However they added eurpean cover, pillion and riding other bikes to the policy. Insurance was 400 on the nose this year fully comp. CBR600F3 - they won't insure any newer CBR 600s

• Advertisement

Either way I still believe bike insurance is far cheaper than any car

Then you believe wrongly.
    My car insurance is €340 fully comp this year and was €323 last year.

Advertisement