Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona Virus and events

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Oh i have been to a few. These things should work like clock work, embrace technology etc

Just needs a bit of proper organization in it.

With the 200 limit last year it took 9 sessions over 4 days to make it happen.

So 18 sessions over 8 days it is.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    With the 200 limit last year it took 9 sessions over 4 days to make it happen.

So 18 sessions over 8 days it is.....

But also limit the field entries. There is plenty of tracks around the country that they could break it up.

But also limit the field entries. There is plenty of tracks around the country that they could break it up.

.... or they could set their own limits as 100 is just advisory.

.... or they could set their own limits as 100 is just advisory.

Now you really want them to go outside their box:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Oiriallach wrote: »
    For juvenile meets, a limit of 100 effectively means no more than 40 athletes, as you have to allow for a parent accompanying each athlete aged under 18.

You have to offer the opportunity I think. If the parent says no their kid is ok alone for the 3 hours, thats grand. That's largely the only way our upcoming county championships which are spread across 4days in June will work, if most parents want to attend, sorry event cancelled. And yep the 100 person advisory limit is useful itself, you plan for 100, prentry only etc, you have control of the people entering the venue etc, however on the day itself you are not stuck policing and counting a strict limit of exactly 100 people or less, that itself is a nightmare for club volunteers etc. Basically don't take the piss and organise events with clearly well over 100 and you'll be fine. Its still frustrating but about all we can do for June.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

"As Athletics Ireland only became aware of this issue very recently, this has created challenges for us to manage around the published athletics calendar."

Good grief. The calendar must be choc-o-bloc. How did the attending athletes manage to schedule it in at all with their own limited resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I'm not sure what this even means.
    Do AAI even have a say in what happens in NI Athletics
    Also why were AAI seeking guidance in the first place.

Were there always ranking points awarded at national champs or is this the first year.?

Ceepo wrote: »
    I'm not sure what this even means.
    Do AAI even have a say in what happens in NI Athletics
    Also why were AAI seeking guidance in the first place.

Were there always ranking points awarded at national champs or is this the first year.?

Why are the AAI doing this? It makes no sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Christie made a bollox of the application, he ticked he had AAI persmission and hence they got a full ranking meeting.

Hamish seems to be a bit of a bollox, he could easily get up off his hole and sort it out.

• Advertisement

Why are the AAI doing this? It makes no sense at all.

I've know idea. It was something that I came across earlier today,
    Seems that some issues was raised and they were looking for clarification on it.

My reading of it is that they were looking for clarification on "representation of athletes" and WA deemed that in AAI case its only Republic of Ireland.

Whatever all that means for athletics and athletes in Northern Ireland is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Confusing alright.

But the article says the event will have a UK permit and that performances will be recognised, so apart from the AI petulance (which is shocking alright), and the sloppiness in the Euro Permit application, what’s the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Murph_D wrote: »
    Confusing alright.

But the article says the event will have a UK permit and that performances will be recognised, so apart from the AI petulance (which is shocking alright), and the sloppiness in the Euro Permit application, what’s the issue?

Ranking points is the issue , gonna be v important for a few v close to Q times but will need points to q.

jamule wrote: »
    Ranking points is the issue , gonna be v important for a few v close to Q times but will need points to q.

Which raises the profile of the AAI games a couple of weeks later. Gotcha.

Confusing alright.

World ranking points. For those trying to qualify via ranking system, higher ranked meets carry extra bonus points. Losing European permit status is a killer in this regard.

Which raises the profile of the AAI games a couple of weeks later. Gotcha.

An event they still have no clarity on how many they can have attend.

Farcical on all counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1140975989742123&id=100014891977844

John Downes have a right go at AAI.

Wouldn't be like John to sit on the fence, but I'd have to agree with him here.

Still trying to understand the whole email around AAI "athlete representation" and why it would have surface in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Oiriallach

Ceepo wrote: »
    Still trying to understand the whole email around AAI "athlete representation" and why it would have surface in the first place.

Assuming we've seen the same email/letter - the one I saw is from Hamish Adams to Larry Larkin and is dated back in January 2020 - I don't think it is directly linked to current issue re the European Athletics permit for the Belfast IMC Meet. The purpose of that letter seems to have been to clarify that when athletes represent Ireland on AAI teams in World Athletics Series competitions (i.e. the various World Championship events), the country they are representing is the Republic of Ireland rather than the island of Ireland.

Oiriallach wrote: »
    Assuming we've seen the same email/letter - the one I saw is from Hamish Adams to Larry Larkin and is dated back in January 2020 - I don't think it is directly linked to current issue re the European Athletics permit for the Belfast IMC Meet. The purpose of that letter seems to have been to clarify that when athletes represent Ireland on AAI teams in World Athletics Series competitions (i.e. the various World Championship events), the country they are representing is the Republic of Ireland rather than the island of Ireland.

Yeah its the email I linked in a earlier post.
    And I'd agree that it is not related to the current situation.

If as you say that's what its referring to, you would have to wonder why the question was posed initially.

• Advertisement

What I don't understand is AAI applied for European permit for AAI Games, while simultaneously are blindly following a recommendation from Sport Ireland of 100 capacity size for all outdoor competitions, despite it being only a recommendation. Seems like a contradiction.

As someone already asked, why does an event in NI need an Athletics Ireland signoff to get a European Permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

Athletics Ireland are a fcuking shambles from the top to the bottom.

Athletes at club level have been treated with contempt. All other outdoor sports appear to have plans in place for competition.

More people than ever before are running recreationally and club registrations have fallen off a cliff.

Athletics Ireland don't want to meaningfully engage and plan or find creative solutions to facilitate races.

Fine we mightnt be able to race normally with a mass start but at least try and come up with some fcuking ideas to have competition.

Clowns the lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

deisedude wrote: »
    Athletics Ireland are a fcuking shambles from the top to the bottom.

Athletes at club level have been treated with contempt. All other outdoor sports appear to have plans in place for competition.

More people than ever before are running recreationally and club registrations have fallen off a cliff.

Athletics Ireland don't want to meaningfully engage and plan or find creative solutions to facilitate races.

Fine we mightnt be able to race normally with a mass start but at least try and come up with some fcuking ideas to have competition.

Clowns the lot of them

But we did have runuary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I don't think it's in anyway unique to Ireland. Seems to be something special about athletics though, at least with the various governing bodies for the sport across these islands, none of which have done a particularly good job of advocating for it during the last 14 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

So we can have a thousand people on the street marching to the Israeli embassy but we can’t have a controlled road race with a few hundred

It’s getting farcical now

Let us race safely ffs!!!

TbL

Raced City of Lisburn AC meet in Belfast today. Other than the blocks being sprayed before each race, the grandstand being closed, and a token announcement by the announcer to remember social distancing where possible, it was just like any other track meet I have ever run in 2019 and before. The changing rooms were even open (though showers were closed) and I don't recall seeing anyone wearing a mask.

The relays at the end without batons was a little odd, but overall it really felt like I was part of normality today. Walked 1.8 miles to a lovely beer garden after and had 2 delicious pints.

Meanwhile, down here we are pissing about with 100 limits per competition. Give me strength!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Chivito550 wrote:
    Raced City of Lisburn AC meet in Belfast today. Other than the blocks being sprayed before each race, the grandstand being closed, and a token announcement by the announcer to remember social distancing where possible, it was just like any other track meet I have ever run in 2019 and before. The changing rooms were even open (though showers were closed) and I don't recall seeing anyone wearing a mask.

But how did your run go? :)

Triathlon Ireland announced today that triathlon racing will resume in the Republic from 7th June.

Wave starts of no nore than 100, but the number of waves will depend on race specific safety and social distance.

https://www.triathlonireland.com/news/2021/triathlon-events-to-return-from-june-7th/

There's no reason AI can't do something similar

• Advertisement

The relays at the end without batons was a little odd, but overall it really felt like I was part of normality today. Walked 1.8 miles to a lovely beer garden after and had 2 delicious pints.

Meanwhile, down here we are pissing about with 100 limits per competition. Give me strength!!

Athletics Ireland is worst than the fai

Advertisement