Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How did PCP work out in the end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

photosmart wrote: »
    I think this is the real story on cars from the past three years - inflation or price appreciation has been shocking. Basic cars ie Golfs Octavias etc have gone up from about 24k odd to 30k odd.

I did think about entering another PCP deal but there doesn't seem to be much value there, the list price of the car I have has gone up about 6k from 3 years ago. I think its' too early to go electric too, so I'm thinking it's a better to wait it out and see what happens over the next 3-5 years.

I see what you mean.

Skoda Octavia 1.0 TSI petrol, Ambition trim

Oct 2018 price list = 24,200
    March 2021 = 25,920

An increase of 1,720 or 7.1%

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭photosmart

For some reason in Ireland Skoda hold their value really well however Seats (at least the last model Leon) depreciate at a massive rate. I would be wary of buying a new one for that reason. (Eg I paid €17200 for a 14month old Leon in 2017). Same spec and engine Skoda would have been closer to 20k

followmeup wrote: »
    Has anybody here rolled into another PCP deal this year? if so, did you get a good price for your trade in?
    I'm just gone two years into my current PCP deal, thinking about changing later in the year, car prices seem to be strong at the moment. Currently driving an Octavia, but like the look of the new Leon estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

photosmart wrote: »
    For some reason in Ireland Skoda hold their value really well however Seats (at least the last model Leon) depreciate at a massive rate. I would be wary of buying a new one for that reason. (Eg I paid €17200 for a 14month old Leon in 2017). Same spec and engine Skoda would have been closer to 20k

Similar
    I bought a 2017 Leon fr in 2019 for 18000
    So was 18 or 20 months old and had dropped from 32 or 34k.

I see they are holding a bit better now. I'd only consider an ex demo or similar. They'll do 2.9% on "secondhand"

Edit
    Prefer the Leon estate to Octavia looks wise any day of the week. A new hatch fr overtook me today, not a fan of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Similar
    I bought a 2017 Leon fr in 2019 for 18000
    So was 18 or 20 months old and had dropped from 32 or 34k.

I see they are holding a bit better now. I'd only consider an ex demo or similar. They'll do 2.9% on "secondhand"

Edit
    Prefer the Leon estate to Octavia looks wise any day of the week. A new hatch fr overtook me today, not a fan of it

Ah now the Octavia estate is as nice looking as the Leon estate, can't take to the standard Octavia at all.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Ah now the Octavia estate is as nice looking as the Leon estate, can't take to the standard Octavia at all.

The Octavia makes the insignia seem exciting.
    A car for people who's main priority is bootspace.

• Advertisement

The Octavia makes the insignia seem exciting.
    A car for people who's main priority is bootspace.

So it's just Octavia and driver bashing you're interested in, foolishly I thought you were actually trying to be helpful. What are you driving? Are you on PCP?
    Have you ever driven or owned an Octavia?

Geuze wrote: »
    I see what you mean.

Skoda Octavia 1.0 TSI petrol, Ambition trim

Oct 2018 price list = 24,200
    March 2021 = 25,920

An increase of 1,720 or 7.1%

The vrt changes in the budget has impacted diesels much more than 7.1% A comparison between diesels would be a better reflection of the increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

The vrt changes in the budget has impacted diesels much more than 7.1% A comparison between diesels would be a better reflection of the increase.

Have a look at new hot hatch pricing if you think diesel price increases are bad!

So it's just Octavia and driver bashing you're interested in, foolishly I thought you were actually trying to be helpful. What are you driving? Are you on PCP?

Touchy?
    Didn't mean to offend.
    We're all allowed like and not like cars. It's only an opinion, on a message forum.
    As above I'm doing a Leon estate.

I was giving advice to a poster considering a Leon that it may not be the most financially sound idea.

Christ

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Have a look at new hot hatch pricing if you think diesel price increases are bad!

Not a market that interests me tbh but I'd say they're badly hit too. Hot hatches never had a chance in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Have you ever driven or owned an Octavia?

I have driven one.
    Perfectly adequate car. About par with a Leon
    Neither is a golf or an a3.

I have not owned one. I don't like the style of them

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I bought an insignia for mileage . 350k in and no non routine maintenance

Touchy?
    Didn't mean to offend.
    We're all allowed like and not like cars. It's only an opinion, on a message forum.
    As above I'm doing a Leon estate.

I was giving advice to a poster considering a Leon that it may not be the most financially sound idea.

Christ

You just had to say that then rather than make stupid Clarkson type remarks on two cars you've no experience of. Are you on PCP with the Leon?

I bought an insignia for mileage . 350k in and no non routine maintenance

Great aul mile muncher in fairness, did you get the oil pickup seal done?

You just had to say that then rather than make stupid Clarkson type remarks on two cars you've no experience of. Are you on PCP with the Leon?

The Octavia does not have exciting styling.
    This is hardly news.
    I don't need to have owned one to notice.
    I don't think it's Clarkson-esque to point this out.

(FYI I have owned an insignia. 09 SRi 2.0d. Nothing but trouble. Good on Motorway. Poor in a bend. No go in the 163bhp)

The Leon is hardly a bastion of cutting edge style either.
    I own one as it made good financial sense.

We're talking about commuter mobiles here

Anyway no. The Leon is not on PCP.
    It's on 0% finance from VW bank.
    I traded in a car worth about 6k less.
    VW funded most of the difference, was a short term offer they had in 2019

The Octavia does not have exciting styling.
    This is hardly news.
    I don't need to have owned one to notice.
    I don't think it's Clarkson-esque to point this out.

(FYI I have owned an insignia. 09 SRi 2.0d. Nothing but trouble. Good on Motorway. Poor in a bend. No go in the 163bhp)

The Leon is hardly a bastion of cutting edge style either.
    I own one as it made good financial sense.

We're talking about commuter mobiles here

Anyway no. The Leon is not on PCP.
    It's on 0% finance from VW bank.
    I traded in a car worth about 6k less.
    VW funded most of the difference, was a short term offer they had in 2019

0% hp? on second hand? Was it a Seat only deal? It's a wonder it wasn't mentioned here, most on here, myself included don't miss these offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Great aul mile muncher in fairness, did you get the oil pickup seal done?

All done , I had one minor issue that involved getting chased a lot and cops being a little coy about why ....turns out it may have been owned by the ira :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 followmeup

The Octavia estate is nicer looking alright than the standard Octavia, but the Leon FR 1.5 petrol estate is a lovely looking car IMO, it's priced around 31k, the Octavia is over 33k for the Style version (not available in Ambition spec).

Haven't done all my homework yet but I'm not sure if it Octavia is worth the extra money, doesn't seem too be much difference spec wise....but I suppose residual values would obviously favour the Octavia.

All done , I had one minor issue that involved getting chased a lot and cops being a little coy about why ....turns out it may have been owned by the ira :)

Oh Lord... You better hide the wolf tones CD's.
    Brings to mind one of those motorway cops UK where a woman was stopped in a dodgy Vectra showing as uninsured, turned out ok she'd just bought it from the Irish lads that morning:D:D

The Octavia estate is nicer looking alright than the standard Octavia, but the Leon FR 1.5 petrol estate is a lovely looking car IMO, it's priced around 31k, the Octavia is over 33k for the Style version (not available in Ambition spec).

Haven't done all my homework yet but I'm not sure if it Octavia is worth the extra money, doesn't seem too be much difference spec wise....but I suppose residual values would obviously favour the Octavia.

I didn't know the estate was style spec only, for PCP I'd go with the Octavia as they hold their value so much better than Seat. I'm thinking about going for the karoq next time I like the look of them but have never even sat in one. The Superb is due a service next month I might have a gander at one then and see what the figures are, I'll have about 11 payments plus the settlement to cover from the value of the superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 followmeup

I didn't know the estate was style spec only, for PCP I'd go with the Octavia as they hold their value so much better than Seat. I'm thinking about going for the karoq next time I like the look of them but have never even sat in one. The Superb is due a service next month I might have a gander at one then and see what the figures are, I'll have about 11 payments plus the settlement to cover from the value of the superb.
    Yeah looking at the price list, the 1.5l Octavia estate only comes in Style spec, the 1.0l is available in Active and Ambition but I don't think I'd fancy the 1.0l in an estate car.

0% hp? on second hand? Was it a Seat only deal? It's a wonder it wasn't mentioned here, most on here, myself included don't miss these offers.

Seat only. 5k only
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058030242/1/#post111753585

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I've about a year left on my PCP deal, which was at 0%, and starting to think about what to do next year. It's with VW Bank, I read above they'll refinance at a higher rate so I will talk to them about that and might throw in a few bob at the time to bring the term or the payment down, can you get them to extend the warranty at all even for a cost? We've barely driven the car over the past year so after 2 years I think it has about 10k kms on it. Obviously has given absolutely no trouble so not sure I see the point in spending a large amount on a new one. But I've just had absolute horrors in the past with cars so do like the comfort of a warranty.

In a similar situation to this, have an Octavia Estate so was either looking at another one, a Karoq, or just keeping the car.

Yeah looking at the price list, the 1.5l Octavia estate only comes in Style spec, the 1.0l is available in Active and Ambition but I don't think I'd fancy the 1.0l in an estate car.

Been there done that with that 1 litre engine, don't care to repeat the experience. Would love the iv but it's crazy money so I'll stick with diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I have this, honestly it's absolutely fine. I have had the old 1.9l diesel Octavia model in the past and apart from the obvious diesel v petrol differences (noise, MPG, etc) I wouldn't have felt any huge difference in performance.

I have this, honestly it's absolutely fine. I have had the old 1.9l diesel Octavia model in the past and apart from the obvious diesel v petrol differences (noise, MPG, etc) I wouldn't have felt any huge difference in performance.

Maybe I was being a bit harsh on the 1 litre I found it grand from the point of drivability but I think I got a dud, is was very rough at times and very heavy on juice compared to others who have the same engine I wouldn't be keen to repeat the experience.

Has anyone got a 1 or 1.5 litre mild hybrid? I'm just wondering what they're like. They get good reviews in the usual places I was just wondering does anyone here have one?

The only mild hybrid I've driven was a c class merc.. Returned 40mpg over driving that a CHR self charging (I know) did 50mpg & a 1.6 diesel Octavia did 55mpg.

Great drive though to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Love my Octavia to bits and find it a very attractive car indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Has anyone got a 1 or 1.5 litre mild hybrid? I'm just wondering what they're like. They get good reviews in the usual places I was just wondering does anyone here have one?
    have the 1.5 mild hybrid dsg in the new leon estate. previously had a manual 1.5 in a hatch back leon. think its pretty economical. usually get in or around 6L / 100km according to the computer on a long run, I wouldnt be one to hang around. Im sure you could do better if you stuck it in eco and all that lark:pac:

Advertisement