Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How did PCP work out in the end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

There's a big market for low mileage 3 or 4 year old diesels. But would a dealer acknowledge that when you trade in??

EV is the disruptive force.
    What's an iD3 going to trade in at in 2024?
    Will the diesel folks be flat out buying them instead?
    Will small EVs hold good value on trade in?
    I think they will once the batteries keep range

If he doesn’t I’ll walk, same as I did with the last dealer, luckily I’m in the position to pay the settlement and keep the car. A proper car size ev not one of those bean tin yokes would interest me if they were affordable but they aren’t. Car is due for a service in a couple of months I’ll have a chat to the lad that sold me this car and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭photosmart

The EV forum is for "believers" imho. As it is VW etc guarantee the battery packs for 8 years or 98k miles which is fair enough but
    that is probably the max and assumes proper charging and use etc.

At that point a replacement battery back will be needed.

Current prices (USD) to replace a 62kwh battery on a leaf is about €10k.

So to give an example - a lot of normal cars(focus, leon, octavia) taht are 8 years old are worth in the region of 8K.

Let assume you buy (insert ev here) and after 8 years it is worth 8k. You then have to go out and pay 10k to replace battery or else car is worthless.

This in effect means that these cars will have to depreciate massively to

allow for the battery to be replaced if they are to have a lifespan beyond 8 years.

EV believers will say that battery packs prices will fall but if the experience of the past few years hold true they are more likely to increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

What big selling ev is out 8 years at this stage? Leaf and BMW i3 are the ones I can think of...
    How are the batteries looking on them? I've read about leaf degradation a good bit here but not so much about i3

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

L-M wrote: »
    Nissan and Hyundai are stopping diesel this year, Renault have already stopped.

I’m selling cars a long time and I’m a great advocate for diesel and the need for them, but if I was spending money now I would not buy a new diesel car for personal use.

Really? They’re three makes that are fairly big into diesels- especially Renault

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Really? They’re three makes that are fairly big into diesels- especially Renault

Yeah, apparently that famous 1.5 diesel that they all used for years was fairly poisonous.

@the above posters, my better half has a 1.0 Golf and she is averaging 45mpg, easily gets 50MPG plus on a long run. Mighty little engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

In the new Seat Leon what engine would you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    What big selling ev is out 8 years at this stage? Leaf and BMW i3 are the ones I can think of...
    How are the batteries looking on them? I've read about leaf degradation a good bit here but not so much about i3

Here's one...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insideevs.com/features/387950/renault-zoe-covered-300000-km/amp/

Yeah, apparently that famous 1.5 diesel that they all used for years was fairly poisonous.

@the above posters, my better half has a 1.0 Golf and she is averaging 45mpg, easily gets 50MPG plus on a long run. Mighty little engine.

It’s been around donkeys years so probably too hard to get it through the next emissions legislation and probably not worth the investment? Though I assume diesel is still massive on the continent and France in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭photosmart

Cars are/will no longer be made in response to consumer demand or basic economics / technological logic.

- essentially we're moved into a scenario where government decide what cars are made and they've decided to essentially outlaw ICE cars and to mandate EV's despite the facts and technological shortcomings around them.

Should be an interesting next few years when ignorance of reality results in
    the consequences of ignoring reality.

It's hardly a new thing, cars have been made within mandated parameters for many decades at this stage.

• Advertisement

It's hardly a new thing, cars have been made within mandated parameters for many decades at this stage.

Getting more and more extreme now though to be fair

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Getting more and more extreme now though to be fair

Well yeah, obviously that's how it's going to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Casati

I hadn't heard that news and its a bit of shock- I had one of those 'poisonous' engines in a Megan and it was great - 106 bhp, 6 speed to make the most of the torque so it would move okay and deliver great economy- I saw 70mpg out it fairly often.

Casati wrote: »
    I hadn't heard that news and its a bit of shock- I had one of those 'poisonous' engines in a Megan and it was great - 106 bhp, 6 speed to make the most of the torque so it would move okay and deliver great economy- I saw 70mpg out it fairly often.

Great little reliable and flexible engine. Never had one but pity to see it go. Presume it’ll remain in commercials

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

CoBo55 wrote: »
    That's what I was told when I bought the 172 petrol... It hasn't happened yet people are still buying diesels and they aren't worthless. With the paltry offer that the dealer made on mine when I bought the Superb I didn't benefit from the so called fantastic residuals on a petrol car.

Not worthless! But there will be a creep as they become less desirable. Won't happen overnight, slowly over time. Our commutes have gone from 500km each to zero and 5km respectively. That's not diesel friendly.

Lantus wrote: »
    Not worthless! But there will be a creep as they become less desirable. Won't happen overnight, slowly over time. Our commutes have gone from 500km each to zero and 5km respectively. That's not diesel friendly.

You do know this covid situation isn't going to last forever. As it is people are starting to travel longer distances myself included. UK imports have fallen sharply since Brexit which were predominantly diesels the knock on effect is that diesels here will be wanted for trade in as particularly here in rural areas diesel is still king.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Gael23 wrote: »

1.5tsi with DSG is pretty nice, I test drove that one. Definitely nice poky engine with plenty of power for daily use. There were rumours about 2.0tsi with 190hp coming to Ireland too, but I doubt it will happen.
    The only issue I have with new Leon is that all Leons have cheap rear suspension setup and you really notice it. Whole car is just too stiff for a "family car". You need to go plug in hybrid to get a proper rear suspension.
    184hp old Leon Estate was more comfortable, then new model.

I presume you test drove it already?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

1.5tsi with DSG is pretty nice, I test drove that one. Definitely nice poky engine with plenty of power for daily use. There were rumours about 2.0tsi with 190hp coming to Ireland too, but I doubt it will happen.
    The only issue I have with new Leon is that all Leons have cheap rear suspension setup and you really notice it. Whole car is just too stiff for a "family car". You need to go plug in hybrid to get a proper rear suspension.

Didn't realize that strange it wasn't kept for the 1.5 looks like 148hp is the cut off now. The Mk3 facelift 1.5 DSG does have independent rear suspension. We had a 184 tdi and I test drove /had the loan of a 150 tdi a good few times. Didn't think there was to much difference in comfort it's just not as composed when pushing on through the twisty bits. The 1.5 DSG doesn't have quite the same grunt as the older 184 but the DSG does help make up for and it does handle better with nearly a 100kg less over the front wheels.

The phev.... Great value IMO.... 30k ish gets a low spec one.
    30+ miles electric range, DSG & 200bhp combined power.
    Great, relatively cheap car IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

You do know this covid situation isn't going to last forever. As it is people are starting to travel longer distances myself included. UK imports have fallen sharply since Brexit which were predominantly diesels the knock on effect is that diesels here will be wanted for trade in as particularly here in rural areas diesel is still king.

Have to agree. petrol /electric will suit a large percentage of the population. But for cars to cover higher mileage or haul bigger families and stuff around diesal is still the answer. Especially in rural ireland.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »

Are they that cheap? I had a gander on the site last week and I thought they were much dearer than 30k, is it just me or is that Seat site just terrible, the VW one isn't much better. In fairness to Skoda their site, for me anyway is the easiest to navigate.

Sat in one not actually driven yet.
    Would a Golf be a better but with the suspension you mention?
    Not sure about going DSG, would be nervous about forgetting ho to do a manual
    Seems good but just not won over on going automatic

I miss me aul auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Sat in one not actually driven yet.
    Would a Golf be a better but with the suspension you mention?
    Not sure about going DSG, would be nervous about forgetting ho to do a manual

Seems good but just not won over on going automatic

I would definitely advice to drive one first. I am a big fan of Seat old generation. It was better priced, better spec and in my opinion - better looking car out of the big 3. I am used to drive cars with stiff sporty suspensions, but I could not understand New leons setup. It was FR plus spec and even in comfort mode it was just too harsh. I never understood the whole: let's put low power engines in family cars and specs, but give them sport hot hatch suspension. Other then that, it was very impressive car. Then again, it might not be an issue for you, so test driving it first should be a priority.

I never driven new golf, but if its an option, I would suggest to try test drive them both. Better suspension setup in golfs goes with 1.5tsi and up ( not sure if it has to be dsg ).

Are they that cheap? I had a gander on the site last week and I thought they were much dearer than 30k, is it just me or is that Seat site just terrible, the VW one isn't much better. In fairness to Skoda their site, for me anyway is the easiest to navigate.

Seat airside.....
    Typical Finance Example: New Leon e-HYBRID 1.4TSI 204HP DSG XC ROTRP €31,320 (inclusive of SEAI Grant). Deposit / Part Exchange €9,682.59. 36 monthly payments of €289. Optional Final Payment €13,145.10. APR 3.9%. Total Cost of Credit €2,061.69 including acceptance fee (€75) and completion fee (€75).

Grant going from 5k to 2.5k soon though iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Casati

Seat airside.....
    Typical Finance Example: New Leon e-HYBRID 1.4TSI 204HP DSG XC ROTRP €31,320 (inclusive of SEAI Grant). Deposit / Part Exchange €9,682.59. 36 monthly payments of €289. Optional Final Payment €13,145.10. APR 3.9%. Total Cost of Credit €2,061.69 including acceptance fee (€75) and completion fee (€75).

Grant going from 5k to 2.5k soon though iirc.

I’d imagine you’d get a nice discount buying one without PCP?

I'm not at all sure about that.... The dealers margin is independent of how you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Discount offered has no bearing on how you finance the car. In my experience.

I reckon they'll likely drop the 3.9 rate to 2.9 when the grant changes, bring the phev pcp rate in line with rest of leons ... Other seats are 0%.

• Advertisement

I would definitely advice to drive one first. I am a big fan of Seat old generation. It was better priced, better spec and in my opinion - better looking car out of the big 3. I am used to drive cars with stiff sporty suspensions, but I could not understand New leons setup. It was FR plus spec and even in comfort mode it was just too harsh. I never understood the whole: let's put low power engines in family cars and specs, but give them sport hot hatch suspension. Other then that, it was very impressive car. Then again, it might not be an issue for you, so test driving it first should be a priority.

I never driven new golf, but if its an option, I would suggest to try test drive them both. Better suspension setup in golfs goes with 1.5tsi and up ( not sure if it has to be dsg ).

Yes of course will drive one in time. SE Plus or xcellence looks to be the best spec to go for.
    Is the 1.0tsi enough or would you need the 1.5?

Advertisement