Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things dat Trivyully Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP* NEW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

mikemac2 wrote: »
    When you have a bad telephone line and you can hear an echo of everything you say

Is unnerving and difficult to get the call done

Also I am TA’d with my voice. Do I realy should like that :confused:

In my head my voice is way different to how I actually sound

Reminds me Bart asking Marge if Otto can live in the garage and he plays her a croaky recording saying 'he sure can!'...cracks me up :)

TA grown men wearing converse with a business suit. You just know they think they look super trendy but I immediately think gob****e.
    The only man over 30 ive seen pull off this look is Thom Yorke.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have one on the side window where the carseat is.

I put it there in the hope that if I don't get a parent parking spot the person parking beside me will notice and not park right on top of my car. Even out of their own car self preservation from accidental door dints. ......no such luck the amount of times I've had to reverse out until the door is clear is unreal. Made even more frustrating if car park is pretty empty.

In my experience I think you are being hopelessly optimistic here :pac:

I love that we live in a progressive society, and I know that we're supposed to tolerant and supportive of everybody, but there's one group of people I just can't stand - people who ask for their food "well done". WTF is the matter with these people?

I'm the opposite. I hate snobbery of all kinds, but food snobbery especially is a personal bugbear of mine. There is no right way to eat, prepare, cook, enjoy anything. If someone enjoys it that way, then let them at it. They're not doing you any harm so whats with the condescension?

And its not just steaks and there done-ness either. People get snotty about all sorts of food related nonsense......people eating in fast food restaurants, others not trying local cuisine when abroad, faux incredulity......"what do you mean you don't like scallops", down to the types of sauces or sides served with certain dishes. It just seems to wind some people up that others are able to enjoy something even thought they're not doing it the 'proper' way. Cool your jets, there, chief, I'll put red sauce on my well done steak all I want. I paid for it, I can throw it on the roof if I want.

I knew someone who was barred from eating bread with their dinner when they were growing up because it was "too common". I was eating lasagne in their house once and was offered a slice of garlic bread. I refused....."nah, I'm okay thanks.......seems a bit common". The face his Ma made would turn milk sour.

It doesn't even stop with food either. Music is another huge one. People get their noses out of joint when they hear what you're into....."Those sounds that you listen to, which give you great pleasure and are an escape mechanism for the drudgery of having to listen to me all the time? well theyre the WRONG sounds and you should feel bad for liking them. Here, listen to MY sounds and see how much better than you I am"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Antares35 wrote: »
    Who asks for chicken "well done"?

I've a friend who likes his steak rare, and every single time we go for a meal, he will ask for his steak rare and then turn and say to us all, "I like my steak bloody" and wait for a reaction. I generally opt for the passive aggressive, "no way, really? I didn't know that" - goes right over his head :D

next time he does that matter of factly say that it isn't blood it is myoglobin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    In my experience I think you are being hopelessly optimistic here :pac:

I was very naive when I had my first.

It has remained as it's a plush toy sign the child is attached too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I needed to return shoes bought online.
    There was an option of free return through Parcel Connect at my local shop so I opted for this to save on postage.
    Now, I know why it's free.
    I dropped it to my shop and it was scanned on May 4th.
    The latest update is May 12th that the parcel is still only in a PM hub and isn't even on route to the retailer still.
    Then by the time, the retailer processes the refund, I'll have another 3 working days before the money hits my account.
    Beware of free services!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Everything is annoying me. Everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,372 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

People who smash their empty beer/vodka bottle on footpaths or leave them there for some other gobsh!te to come along and smash it. I'm sick and tired of picking them up to avoid my poor dog and other people's dogs from walking on them. Covid has actually made the incidences of this increase 10 fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Tmy brother-in-law is one of those annoying vegetarians/healthy eating disciples who lecture you about what you should be eating. Had everyone driven mad over Christmas when he was essentially monitoring our food intake. Now, his best friend has opened a takeaway and he has become an unofficial promoter of said joint. He is annoying us now telling us to go the chipper!

Does he have a beard?

Who asks for chicken "well done"?

If you're in a restaurant and they ask how you want your chicken cooked, you should immediately leave.

• Advertisement

Baby manual: eat spicy food to get the baby moving.

Pregnancy symptom: painful heartburn.

Me after jalapeno chillie and a gallon of gavison: D'oh!!

My tummy feels like fiery milk. It's burning but also chalky. TA feeling contradictory all the time now; tired but restless, hungry but nauseous, happy but crying, excited and terrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Porklife wrote: »

My tummy feels like fiery milk. It's burning but also chalky. TA feeling contradictory all the time now; tired but restless, hungry but nauseous, happy but crying, excited and terrified.

I had a bottle of gaviscon everywhere , office, house, inlaws, parents houses.....the whole time through labour one of my main thoughts was "get through this and no more heartburn" it was a little mantra :)

There's a herbal tea , beginning with R? That's supposed to help things along too....though as everything do your own research before drinking it.

Walking also helps...well waddling really.

Porklife wrote:

My sympathies for the hardship Porklife, it can't be easy. Best of luck with everything. It will probably work out for the better in the end. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Sounds imminent! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

For the last couple of months, I've been unable to get Sour Cream and Onion Ripples. The shortage started around the time Hunky Dory rebranded with Tayto front and centre, so I fear they have been replaced with the inferior (but still alright) Hunk Dory SC&O. So annoyed, I've emailed Tayto asking why they've flattened the taste of a Tayto Ripple.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Beat of lucky sister from another mister. I'm going to be an aunt but in a weird way:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

People who smash their empty beer/vodka bottle on footpaths or leave them there for some other gobsh!te to come along and smash it. I'm sick and tired of picking them up to avoid my poor dog and other people's dogs from walking on them. Covid has actually made the incidences of this increase 10 fold.
    I can empathise with the doggies: I broke a glass last night and then stood on a piece this morning barefoot. D'oh!

When you're in a supermarket and the checkout person starts scanning your items as soon as you put them on the conveyor belt - leading to a feeling of being rushed when you're packing the bags. As a result of the pressure, your packing is sh*te - heavy goods crushing light stuff.

I much prefer when there is somebody ahead of me so I can unload my shopping while they're paying / packing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,345 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I discovered last night my father changed the tyre on my car without being asked and he lost one of the nuts and I've the NCT.
    I went with my mother for her vaccine and it took over two hours.(Fair enough)
    However my father also came and he talked nearly the whole time asking the same questions over and over again and I had a running commentary on the queue.
    Then I went to the bakery and they were all out of cakes/buns.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,493 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The dog all up in my grille because she's "only" had two walks so far today and neither of them were long enough for her liking.

Fook off, it's bucketing down and I already got soaked twice today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

The whistle in the Tipp v Cork match. I know the stadium is empty and there’s an echo, but it’s REALLY shrill & doing my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Heavily pregnant, my back is in spasm, I'm killed with heartburn, anxiety, night sweats and insomnia.... And OH has spent a sizeable part of the day complaining about his allergies :( If he says another thing about it or even sniffles near me again, I'll be telling him he's not welcome in the delivery room when the time comes.

Heavily pregnant, my back is in spasm, I'm killed with heartburn, anxiety, night sweats and insomnia.... And OH has spent a sizeable part of the day complaining about his allergies :( If he says another thing about it or even sniffles near me again, I'll be telling him he's not welcome in the delivery room when the time comes.

I completely empathise. Speaking to my ex earlier and i said i can't wait to not be pregnant anymore. I spent the day lying on the couch taking anti nausea tablets drinking gaviscon.
    He said that's a terrible thing to say, you should try to enjoy it. Ehhhh....don't even get me started.
    He is bloody lucky he legged it the second he found out i was pregnant cos if he was here I'd have poured the gaviscon on his head and booted him out! 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 11,112 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

My GF became an aunt for the first time at Christmas, and she is seeing her nephew in the flesh for the first time next week when he comes over from London with his mammy (well after she self-isolates where she is staying).

Naturally, there is great excitement in the new grandparents house as they await the arrival, with the place full of baby stuff. Except for her dad, who is only worried about the baby pen slightly obscuring his view of the telly. Christ sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'm the opposite. I hate snobbery of all kinds, but food snobbery especially is a personal bugbear of mine. There is no right way to eat, prepare, cook, enjoy anything. If someone enjoys it that way, then let them at it. They're not doing you any harm so whats with the condescension?

And its not just steaks and there done-ness either. People get snotty about all sorts of food related nonsense......people eating in fast food restaurants, others not trying local cuisine when abroad, faux incredulity......"what do you mean you don't like scallops", down to the types of sauces or sides served with certain dishes. It just seems to wind some people up that others are able to enjoy something even thought they're not doing it the 'proper' way. Cool your jets, there, chief, I'll put red sauce on my well done steak all I want. I paid for it, I can throw it on the roof if I want.

I knew someone who was barred from eating bread with their dinner when they were growing up because it was "too common". I was eating lasagne in their house once and was offered a slice of garlic bread. I refused....."nah, I'm okay thanks.......seems a bit common". The face his Ma made would turn milk sour.

It doesn't even stop with food either. Music is another huge one. People get their noses out of joint when they hear what you're into....."Those sounds that you listen to, which give you great pleasure and are an escape mechanism for the drudgery of having to listen to me all the time? well theyre the WRONG sounds and you should feel bad for liking them. Here, listen to MY sounds and see how much better than you I am"

TL;DR - you do you.

My post was exaggerated for comic effect, and of course in most things there are no absolutes. Sometimes I explicitly type out exceptions, but I reckon a lot of the time people skim over them or scroll right past in order to reply to the part of your post that's outraged them anyway, so mostly I don't bother.

The steak thing though is not snobbery - it's right and wrong! :p

Of course there's no mathematical rule about it, but as much as there can be, there's a right way and a wrong way to do it. If there's an ISO process for it (and there is for making tea), burning the crap out of it and smothering it in red sauce is probably not it. I'd wager you won't find a trained cook anywhere in the world who thinks it should be done that way. It's the waste that bothers me. All the people in the supply chain who've done their best to get that steak to you in the best possible condition, and in a blind taste test it might as well be an old shoe under that sauce.

I might be able to make a better metaphor with whiskey. The classic 'whiskey snob' thing is 'no more than two cubes', or more likely, no ice at all, so you can fully taste the whiskey. You can even buy whiskey stones to chill and put in your drink so you can cool it without watering it down. I've done a few whiskey tastings in my life, and tbh I didn't really get it fully until I did a proper whisky tasting in Edinburgh. The subtle differences between regions, and the taste of a proper, aged, blended whisky was magical. 99% of the time I'll still drink a 'bad' whiskey with coke, but would be aghast at someone doing the same with a 'good' whiskey. It seems like a waste of all the time, effort and expertise that went into distilling/aging/blending it. But if that's your thing - if you in a blind taste test can tell the difference between a good whisky with coke and a bad whiskey with coke - then go right ahead. You do you.

If you can't tell the difference, leave the good stuff for me! :D

The steak thing though is not snobbery - it's right and wrong! :p

My preference for steak is medium.
    Well done steak is not as nice, lacks flavour but isn’t appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,493 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

TA'd that I agreed to play tennis on such a fab day when I could (nay, should) be lolling in the hot tub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Car insurance renewal quote is exactly the same as last year. Not even 1 cent difference

Did any human look at my file at all ? :confused:

Seems to me they let the computer generate these letters and just expect people to not question and just pay

Am new to motoring and have my first year no claims built up. Was expecting a little something to reduce. :(

They can give a better offer than this I’m sure

• Registered Users Posts: 30,345 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Car insurance renewal quote is exactly the same as last year. Not even 1 cent difference

Did any human look at my file at all ? :confused:

Seems to me they let the computer generate these letters and just expect people to not question and just pay

Am new to motoring and have my first year no claims built up. Was expecting a little something to reduce. :(

They can give a better offer than this I’m sure

It's one of these things you've just to shop around for.

Insurance quotes can be very ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Ah Porklife and Antares35 congrats on the imminent arrival.

All the moaning and feeling uncomfortable will soon be gone.
    And you will both have lovely babies to keep you occupied.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement