Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civil Engineering - We need to talk about money

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭onrail

Augeo wrote: »
    Would they start folk half way up a payscale though?
    Two colleagues worked for ESB as temp contractors a few years ago and reckoned it was a great gig for graduates but not so good for folk looking to jump in after a decade or so of working (unless you wanted a decent paycut)

They had a few Civil/Structural jobs advertised recently min 7+ years experience with a range quoted of €65-75k. Would seem reasonably good even for 10 years experience.

Not sure what their pension and holiday benefits are like.

Alkers wrote: »
    I posted in the engineering jobs available thread but the courts service are looking for a Chartered Energy Engineer / Building Service Engineer with ten years experience, which they expect to be able to attract with a salary of 32k

https://www.courts.ie/careers

If this was back in the depths of 2011, I'd be angry with the exploitation of it all, but in the current market, it's simply way off the mark

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

First to note, I am not condoning the salary that goes with that advertisement.

But this is where the public sector falls flat on its face. I think, from looking at that ad, that the courts fall under the public sector essentially. So I am guessing they have to start anyone new they bring in on the lowest rung of the scale. Their hands are tied, I would suspect. Never mind what they actually need, they aren't allowed to pay them a salary commensurate with the qualifications of the person they require.I've experienced this myself, as have my immediate family, several times since 2011, and it's not confined to engineering. One family member has 2 scientific degrees and took a role a few years ago with the pharmaceutical regulatory body also starting at 32k. She is beyond over-qualified and experienced for it but she wanted to try to change the direction of her career away from community pharmacy. Another family member had the experience as a manager, when a team member with a lot of engineering experience had to start at 32k. The only way he managed to get his salary increased was by having a year long row with the Dept in question to count previous contract experience he had with one of the Councils, as being steps on the public sector scale, so they would move him up to say increment 4, instead of being on the bottom.Experienced it myself, having to take a job back in 2011 starting at 28k - they got a full team of engineers/scientists in one particular area, all with 5-10 years experience recruited in at the same time then, all started at 28k because there were no other jobs. We had all left by the time 2015 came around.

I am sure there is some reason for it but I really don't understand how they expect to attract decent staff with that rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

There are different grades they can hire at.
    For example the councils have
    Assistant Engineer
    Exec Engineer
    Senior Exec Engineer
    Senior Engineer

With rates associated with the level.
    Exec goes 45k to 65k
    Senior Exec is about 60k to 90k

Surely the courts could have found the corresponding level in another area

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

From my experience, it is probably best off not to try to understand it :rolleyes: It could well just be a case of someone saying well we haven't got a similar role in here anywhere, so we will just go at this level in this case.Or else they were told by DEPR what to advertise the role at. They don't seem to actually match the qualifications and experience to what they are willing to pay at all. Just fit the role into a box that is "normal" to their part of the public sector, and off they go.

For example the role I took in 2011 was an "Analyst" role. Yet they were specifically looking for engineers/scientists/"technical" people with a minimum of 5 years of experience and with at least a 2.1 degree to fill these roles.The equivalent executive engineer etc. roles just don't exist in the organisation I went into and it just wasn't thought of to look across the wider PS and consider it.

As I said, not saying it's right, just saying there is really no way of understanding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 littlemissfraze

It's not a public service peculiarity. The Department of Education also have an advertisement up for a Building Services Engineer. Minimum 5 years experience and chartered required, salary starting at €72,758.
    That is a fair salary for a chartered engineer with 5+ years experience imo.

The courts service advertisement is a joke. It may have such stringent requirements if the position is already earmarked for someone already working in the civil service who has the years experience and is chartered and is on a higher point on the scale already.

Fair enough. I wasn't sure where the Courts fell in regards to the public sector.

Good luck to them with that so.:D:D

I have emailed careers @ courts.ie politely enquiring if they have made an error or if they view an entry level grade (Grade III Engineer) as appropriate for someone who is a chartered engineer with 10 years experience.

I would encourage others to similar.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have emailed careers @ courts.ie politely enquiring if they have made an error or if they view an entry level grade (Grade III Engineer) as appropriate for someone who is a chartered engineer with 10 years experience.

I would encourage others to similar.

What a good idea, email sent.

Here is an extract from Engineers Ireland salary survey for 2019:
    Salary trends

Engineers in the first ten years of their career received a 5% pay boost in the past year, worth approximately €2,000. A graduate engineer (1-2 years of experience) now earns €33,750, an increase of 21% over the past five years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

So today I recieved a reply to my email. It reads:
    Hi 2011
    Thank you for your feedback.

The competition is on hold at the minute as we review the salary.

Kind regards,

XXXXXXX

Courts Serivce Careers
    Human Resources

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

2011 wrote: »
    So today I recieved a reply to my email. It reads:

Was just about to post that I'd received the same.

I received the same. Looks like it was well worth emailing them. :)

I received the same. Looks like it was well worth emailing them. :)

Yes, maybe this should happen more often

What sort of salary can an experienced Civil/Structural/Geotech Engineer expect from a consultancy role these days? Chartered and somewhere around senior/principal level?

I've been away from that side of the industry for a quite a while and pondering a return.

onrail wrote: »
    What sort of salary can an experienced Civil/Structural/Geotech Engineer expect from a consultancy role these days? Chartered and somewhere around senior/principal level?

I've been away from that side of the industry for a quite a while and pondering a return.

Varies massively and a lot of consultancies are very slow to advertise salaries.

Pre-Covid, I would have said you could be able to manage 75k with the right company but although I haven't experienced or heard of any slowdown in work, I've definitely seen a slow-down in recruitment.

We had our pension contributions suspended for 6 months, I've heard of other consultancy companies who took pay cuts etc so it might be a bit tougher to get a role currently.

I wouldn't consider less than 60k anyway.

Alkers wrote: »
    Varies massively and a lot of consultancies are very slow to advertise salaries.

Pre-Covid, I would have said you could be able to manage 75k with the right company but although I haven't experienced or heard of any slowdown in work, I've definitely seen a slow-down in recruitment.

We had our pension contributions suspended for 6 months, I've heard of other consultancy companies who took pay cuts etc so it might be a bit tougher to get a role currently.

I wouldn't consider less than 60k anyway.

Cheers. Any indications of what working arrangements are going to be like post-Covid? Will WFH become more the norm rather than the exception?

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Find the EI survey good

To counter the above, I'm finding the opposite. There is massive churn the last month or so. Big money offers all of a sudden

Companies do have cashflow issues (hence pension stoppage etc) but the short term outlook is very positive and staff retention is difficult

To add to this.
    Just had my third phonecall from a recruiter this week
    DSR for a major project.

Other 2. PM for consultant. SPM for utility via consultant.

We're hiring, but more fitout type consultant side.

Major churn.

Manufacturing sector wouldn't be just civil eng though surely?
    If at all.

Onrail was looking civil consultant situation
    Mine are all civil/structural offers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Whatcar212

royaler83 wrote: »
    Chartered, 10 years exp. medium-large company.

This exactly sums up a family member of mine. He is on 55K

One of the problems in Ireland is the attitude of not talking to each other about salary.

If everyone communicated and knew what everyone else was making then it empowers everyone when it comes to salary negotiation.

Onrail was looking civil consultant situation
    Mine are all civil/structural offers

what is "Big money offers all of a sudden"

Augeo wrote: »
    what is "Big money offers all of a sudden"

Since the phased reopening there's been a marked increase in the money on offer.

For example a PM role consultant last September approx 75k. Friend just went to them for 85k

Senior engineer (building) 75k
    Civil foreman 80k

There have been some fairly serious offers around that intel job. Day rate coming in at about 100k

H&S lead on major build
    Was low 70s 18months ago over 90k.

Appreciate a lot are in the building side but a marked increase over the money from 18 and 12 months ago

Consultant and the intel gigs are basically fixed term contracts?

The consultant PM was a full time contract

The H&S lead is a fixed term (project specific)

The intel at 100k is day rate, could end in the morning, but considering the project is to run another couple of years.....

Whatcar212 wrote: »
    One of the problems in Ireland is the attitude of not talking to each other about salary.

If everyone communicated and knew what everyone else was making then it empowers everyone when it comes to salary negotiation.

Completely agree
    I've a core of good mates in the industry and we openly discuss salary, it has stood to us down the years.
    Unfortunately only 3 of us still work in the private sector.
    The rest of them are public sector now, 3 or 4 only in the last 18 months (they were all heading for 40)

There must be decent supply of interested parties that's keeping a lid on things still. €85k to PM anything major isn't wonderful remuneration, they'll get their pound of flesh and more for that.

Lot of these firms, say Bechtel and Mace, have invented a Senior PM role that I really hadn't seen too often.
    These seem to actually be the PM.
    For instance the role above is reporting to a SPM. SPM be 95 hopefully

The SPM would likely have a few PMs reporting to them, each PM with an actual project perhaps and the SPM with a portfolio.

SPM no doubt a handier gig as they don't have to deal (much) with the sh1t shovelling type stuff that PMs have to do whilst also dealing with the SPM :pac:

• Advertisement

onrail wrote: »
    Cheers. Any indications of what working arrangements are going to be like post-Covid? Will WFH become more the norm rather than the exception?

Completely dependants on the company, my own company are happy with WFH but the company I worded for before are eager to get everyone back to the office.

Remember also, there is the option now where you can request to WFH partially and your employer will have to set out why you can't do your role remotely.

Advertisement