Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller Wedding - Breaking Tenancy & Covid Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    And it did last until January 12th.

They never said it wouldn't last longer. Going back to last March the pattern was lock down for a few weeks and review, then stay locked down longer.

Lockdowns are obviously on a see how it goes basis. Nothing was set in stone and everyone knew it would be more likely extended if numbers increased.

The government cant give any set dates until the picture is clearer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

b0nk1e wrote: »
    Yes, what sort of idiot believes that when the Government says "there will be a lockdown until January 12th", there would be a lockdown until January 12th. How foolish.

If they'd said "there will be a lockdown until cases get to x and ICU capacity is y", people would have been less angry.

It's the contemptuous lies that people are furious about. They had no intention - no intention whatsoever - of ending the lockdown before summer.

Your purse-lipped superciliousness is enough for me to put you on ignore.

You are a curtain-twitching snob.

Thread banned

Do not post in here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Yes, what sort of idiot believes that when the Government says "there will be a lockdown until January 12th", there would be a lockdown until January 12th. How foolish.

If they'd said "there will be a lockdown until cases get to x and ICU capacity is y", people would have been less angry.

It's the contemptuous lies that people are furious about. They had no intention - no intention whatsoever - of ending the lockdown before summer.

It's not that complicated. Nobody lied, and you are completely deluded if you think that's the case.

There was only a hope that lockdowns would result in reducing the rate of transmission, and the case-rate. Everybody, except for the covidiots, the conspiracy theorists, and the deluded, knew that this was subject to the virus being suppressed. And given that the virus was at its peak in early January, nobody was surprised when the lockdown was extended. And believe me, the government, and especially the Dept of Finance, would have LOVED to open up on January 12, or any time since then, but they had no choice given the fact that THERE WAS A PANDEMIC ON. Jeez.

The lessons were learned in January, but obviously some people learn these lessons a bit more slowly than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I saw the news report about what happened in Leopardstown earlier tonight. To say that I'm shocked would be an understatement. Do these idiots living in that halting site not understand that they are law abiding people living all over the country who are seething with anger over their brazen actions? They probably thought that they would do this as a badge of honour on the sly after what happened recently in Longford. But the Gardaí & the courts were very quick today to not let this incident slip by unnoticed with the media being behind them at every turn.

Although the punishment they got does not appear to fit the crime in a broad sense. It's high time that the book gets thrown at them because at this point; it's actual response didn't seem to go very far when you look at the application of it's consequences. It's very light touch in the lightest sense of the word. Any action undertaken to counteract these crimes can be seen in hindsight as very worthy of getting the job done. But when we apply that punishment in real time; it doesn't mean that much to the perpetrator that did it in the first place. The scumbags that would get them anyway while in a court sitting would probably rejoice that it would be slim pickings. But really why does a country like Ireland not think clearly when applying an appropriate level of punishment for crimes like this. These people who breached the court order today should very rightly be on the World Dumbest Criminals.

But is it really that enough of a punishment? Should Ireland be brave enough to go further than that?

Did the Gardai stick around ? It's a mild and dry night I'm sure they can eat their fish and chips and drink cans al fresco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

nullzero wrote: »
    At which point you did the responsible thing and left...

Like Enda Kenny did at golfgate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dubrov

Did the Gardai stick around ? It's a mild and dry night I'm sure they can eat their fish and chips and drink cans al fresco.

I believe the wedding party was already en route so I doubt they turned up and just went home. I'd say there was a decent party still had

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭piplip87

You would imagine the marquee company here and in Longford where offered an absolute insane amount of money to provide the marquee. Hopefully this leads to revenue finding out where this money has come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Disgusting.
    Another flagrant flouting of the law and of the sacrifices so many across the country have made for over a year now.

Zero, zero sympathy for them, now and going forward. This behaviour should not be forgotten when the cries of "discrimination" are made in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,092 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Because they have gone unchecked, are lawless and know the state will ultimately back down.

There is nothing more I would love this evening than the guards/army in with a machine this evening to rip the whole thing down with the bucket. Let them clean up the mess themselves. A strong message needs to be sent.

Does not compute....:eek:

wes wrote: »
    Again, the people in this case being travelers doesn't matter.

What matters is that we have people once again blatantly violating covid restrictions and the government needs to clamp down on this hard. We are near the end of this, ****ing things up near the end, by letting people violate restrictions openly like this, is the height of idiocy.

I hate this shyteology.

It's a bit like some other debates around here, where there is always someone trying to completely ignore the group the perpetrators hail from.
    Just to be clear, the traveller wedding didn't happen in the tent. A party happened in the tent. Wedding was held elsewhere earlier in the day & follower covid regulations it seems

You are some fooking spoofer.

No wonder another well known spoofer was in thanking your posts.

BTW any chance of Peter Casey running for election anytime soon ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

They said the lockdown would last until January 12th.

If they had intended that it would be extended past that date, they ought to have said so.

But that would have entailed giving metrics, which would have resulted in the end of NPHET's power.

It was dishonest.

People won't forget.

Are you for real? We had 3000 cases on January 12th and 1700 in hospital for Covid on that date? Do you seriously believe the lockdown should have ended on that date?!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,694 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

piplip87 wrote: »
    You would imagine the marquee company here and in Longford where offered an absolute insane amount of money to provide the marquee. Hopefully this leads to revenue finding out where this money has come from.

That's entirely speculative.

What's not is that a licensed marquee company enabled the flouting of covid restrictions. What's their responsibilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

jmayo wrote:
    You are some fooking spoofer.

Care to post a link stating that the wedding took place in the tent?

Me thinks you are the spoofer. News reports that they were married earlier in the day, in line with Covid-19 regulations. Are you suggesting that the church is lying about the numbers at the wedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Overheal wrote:
    What's not is that a licensed marquee company enabled the flouting of covid restrictions. What's their responsibilities?

Do you need a licence to run a marquee company?

They have been flouting the regulations for the last year all over the country

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

On my way home I passed a new camp of around 40 campers and caravans setting up camp there on the Nangor Road opposite the entrance to Grange Castle Golf Club. Couldn't believe the quality of the caravans. Brand new. It looked like the Paddock at an F1 race. Unbelievable. How can they afford those when 80% of Travellers are unemployed?

I'd say the place will already be a tip in the morning. Scum.

Do you need a licence to run a marquee company?

I assume any company that is indeed a company must be licensed in some manner and established as an LLC yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

On my way home I passed a new camp of around 40 campers and caravans setting up camp there on the Nangor Road opposite the entrance to Grange Castle Golf Club. Couldn't believe the quality of the caravans. Brand new. It looked like the Paddock at an F1 race. Unbelievable. How can they afford those when 80% of Travellers are unemployed?

I'd say the place will already be a tip in the morning. Scum.

Was going to thank your post until the scum bit at the end. I know how you feel but that's not really necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Mimon wrote: »
    Was going to thank your post until the scum bit at the end. I know how you feel but that's not really necessary.

I wasn't going to thank it, but I will now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

What would you call people who don't work, make money by nefarious means and wreck the land they illegally take over?

I wasn't going to thank it, but I will now

Yeah! We need to glorify more dehumanizing language whenever we see it! Right on dudes!

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah! We need to glorify more dehumanizing language whenever we see it! Right on dudes!

If the shoe fits.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

One thing I detest is senseless littering by anyone, settled or not. The state they leave the place in when they move on is disgraceful. Now that as not occured in this case yet as they only moved in today, but I see no rrason why it will be any diffetent. They have zero respect for anyone or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

One thing I detest is senseless littering by anyone, settled or not. The state they leave the place in when they move on is disgraceful. Now that as not occured in this case yet as they only moved in today, but I see no rrason why it will be any diffetent. They have zero respect for anyone or anything.
    They'd have respect if the government sent in a couple of tanks to flatten their illegal encampment, caravans and all.
    I want the noose tightened around those Travellers that break the law. IN fact I'd consider that cohort a direct threat to the security of the state.

Care to post a link stating that the wedding took place in the tent?

Me thinks you are the spoofer. News reports that they were married earlier in the day, in line with Covid-19 regulations. Are you suggesting that the church is lying about the numbers at the wedding?

Ah FFS the usual semantic arguments that you guys indulge in.

If someone asks you did you enjoy the wedding you were at, you don't fooking start telling them how good the mass or service in the church or indeed registry office was.
    When someone says the wedding cost 20 grand they aint talkin about the cost of the priest, the flowers in the church, the choir or musician in the church.

I don't why I am bothering to argue this point.
    Everyone here bar you would have the same impression of what a wedding means.

They'd have respect if the government sent in a couple of tanks to flatten their illegal encampment, caravans and all.
    I want the noose tightened around those Travellers that break the law. IN fact I'd consider that cohort a direct threat to the security of the state.

Thought I was in the Israeli thread for a second there :D

You can say the word is a bad and that there are some decent travellers doing their best.

But there is a huge percentage that have no discernible employment, pay no taxes on what they do earn, often earning the money through nefarious means especially targeting elderly vulnerable people.

They have a huge problem with criminality as shown by way over representation in prison population, the gangs roving the country terrorising individuals and families sometimes leaving people for dead were travellers.

They often show total disregard for laws around motor vehicles, animal welfare, littering, pollution, trespassing.
    They create huge issues with anti-social behaviour, often engage in pitch battles at social gatherings and engage in banned activities that the rest of us gave up decades ago if not centuries ago.

So it is easy to see why many people see many of them very aptly described by the word used by the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Be right back

And again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

And again.

Their will always be some people who absolutely take the piss in this country, and we are far too soft on people who take the piss like this. I should note plenty of people who are settled do this as well, as evidenced by the behavior we have seen by teenagers in Dublin recently.

I am not calling for draconian laws or anything, but for people who are clearly taking the piss, I think the book needs to be thrown at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Ms Burke also said the council was concerned that - while there was no suggestion James and Julia Keenan were involved - there was an ongoing feud involving extended family members at present.

Cork City Council granted injunction over wedding marquee

• Advertisement

Like some people just dont care. Utterly selfish behaviour

Advertisement