Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller Wedding - Breaking Tenancy & Covid Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

SteM wrote: »
    Well bubblypop obviously hadn't heard of it.

Oh i'd say she was well informed, but the privilege is strong in some people. Having a great time at a wedding is more important than the prevention of the spread of a deadly virus.

Stay Free

SteM wrote: »
    bubblypop wrote: »
    Yep.
    I didn't invite anyone or organise anything.
    I had no idea how many people would be there. How would I?

By asking. And later...by seeing.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 16,486 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I purposely included traveller weddings to try encourage you to research it yourself.

:pac:

Encourage me to do the research you failed to do yourself?

Get the boat ye chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

SteM wrote:

Head in the sand and all of that. As I said it doesn't suit the anti traveller narrative to admit that what the government & NEPHET said on a daily basis about weddings, confirmation and communion. We all watched NEPHET talk about this eace evening on the news.

I do think it's a terrible thing to have taken place. I'd love to see someone spend a few nights in jail and I do condemn it. I don't pretend that it's a traveller exclusive thing though. Reading the thread I wonder if I'm the only one that actually lives in Ireland. Or is it because I left my home & worked throughout the pandemic that I saw what others didn't see?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

This story needs more slashooks

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote:
    Yep. I didn't invite anyone or organise anything. I had no idea how many people would be there. How would I?

Isn't that what the judge said who attended golf Gate? :)

Just kidding

Oh i'd say she was well informed, but the privilege is strong in some people. Having a great time at a wedding is more important than the prevention of the spread of a deadly virus.

?
    It wasn't my wedding.
    I dont have any privilege about anything. What's your problem?
    How am I supposed to know how many people would turn up to someones garden, that I had no part of organising?

By asking. And later...by seeing.

By the time I saw, I was there!

At which point you did the responsible thing and left...

https://extra.ie/2020/06/19/news/irish-news/weddings-gatherings-100-people-july

Actually. I rang my colleague who got married in July last year. Didn't think he would break restrictions!

:)

• Advertisement

How many parties required the entire contingent of Garda in Dublin to break up

Ah now hang on here. First thing to remember is that the Gardai didn't break up anything despite securing a court order. They actually stood by & watched until guests left in the small hours of the morning

The difference in this case is that the marquee was erected on council land in full view of the public. Compare that with marquees erected on acres of private secluded land.

Plenty of posters ignoring bacic facts to push the anti travellers mantra

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

B
    Ah now hang on here. First thing to remember is that the Gardai didn't break up anything despite securing a court order. They actually stood by & watched until guests left in the small hours of the morning

The difference in this case is that the marquee was erected on council land in full view of the public. Compare that with marquees erected on acres of private secluded land.

Wasn’t it the council secured the court order? In which case, the Gardaí attended to prevent any breach of the peace.....remote though that possibility may be of course.

That seems to be cutting both ways wouldn't you agree?

?
    It wasn't my wedding.
    I dont have any privilege about anything. What's your problem?
    How am I supposed to know how many people would turn up to someones garden, that I had no part of organising?

It being your wedding or not is irrelevant. You chose to go. You didn't have to go. You knew there was a pandemic and you knew there were restrictions. You could have phoned the bride/groom to ask how many were going if you were concerned with the restrictions, but you decided not to. You attended and saw that there were more than 50 at the wedding. Your privilege is in the decision to knowingly break the rules and having a great time doing it. Christ, even Judge Woulfe tried to say he didn't know there were "X" amount of people at the Golf Gate event.

Accomplice: "I didn't organise the murder judge."
    Judge "Ah, shure yer grand then. Gowan outa here." :rolleyes:

And from that point on, knowingly broke the covid restrictions. One rule for some and another for others.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I must say I didnt think the County Council or the Garda would act. Pleasantly surprised.

JCJCJC wrote:
    Wasn’t it the council secured the court order? In which case, the Gardaí attended to prevent any breach of the peace.....remote though that possibility may be of course.

The claim was that a whole Containment (whatever that actually means) was dispatched to break it up. Obviously this isn't a true statement. They weren't dispatched to break it up nor did they break it up. I was just pointing out that it wasn't a truthful statement

It being your wedding or not is irrelevant. You chose to go. You didn't have to go. You knew there was a pandemic and you knew there were restrictions. You could have phoned the bride/groom to ask how many were going if you were concerned with the restrictions, but you decided not to. You attended and saw that there were more than 50 at the wedding. Your privilege is in the decision to knowingly break the rules and having a great time doing it. Christ, even Judge Woulfe tried to say he didn't know there were "X" amount of people at the Golf Gate event.

Accomplice: "I didn't organise the murder judge."
    Judge "Ah, shure yer grand then. Gowan outa here." :rolleyes:

And from that point on, knowingly broke the covid restrictions. One rule for some and another for others.

Please find my previous post. 100 guests allowed.

In fairness a supreme Court judge used this very excuse after golf gate

Please find my previous post. 100 guests allowed.

You know as well as I do that the 100 guests never materialised. The restriction was extended throughout the summer and beyond. And even if it hadn't been, your attitude to the restrictions has been highlighted here quite clearly.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

I think last July cases were in the single digits or low double digits.

I cant remember the restrictions for weddings but its ppssible that they were relaxed at the time.

Right now cases are at around 400 per day on average.

In fairness a supreme Court judge used this very excuse after golf gate

Are we not talking about the same judge? I did mention him in the post already. He was so privileged and arrogant that he decided to brush shoulders in an overcrowded elite party for the blue collars and brown nosed brigade.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭SteM

You know as well as I do that the 100 guests never materialised. The restriction was extended throughout the summer and beyond. And even if it hadn't been, your attitude to the restrictions has been highlighted here quite clearly.

I'm fairly sure it was limited to 25 guests.

This thread is steering off topic.

No. From 20th july, 100 guests were allowed at the reception.
    There were less then 50 in the church.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I think last July cases were in the single digits or low double digits.

I cant remember the restrictions for weddings but its ppssible that they were relaxed at the time.

Right now cases are at around 400 per day on average.

It was extended and anyone at the time planning to attend a wedding would have known at the time. Anyone responsible would have checked the numbers in advance or left if the numbers were high, or social distancing wasn't being adhered to.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/huge-blow-to-wedding-industry-as-limit-stays-at-50-39424598.html

Stay Free

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/gardai-irishpubs-houseparty-drimnagh-lockdown-20373899

Another non traveller party I have in the past week or so with over 100 guests. I hate to post this link because Dublin Live is the ultimate rag but it is what it is

No. From 20th july, 100 guests were allowed at the reception.
    There were less then 50 in the church.

See my post above. They spoke about it, but it didn't happen. And in any case, you don't know how many were at the wedding you attended. You only know it was more than 50.

Stay Free

It was extended and anyone at the time planning to attend a wedding would have known at the time. Anyone responsible would have checked the numbers in advance or left if the numbers were high, or social distancing wasn't being adhered to.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/huge-blow-to-wedding-industry-as-limit-stays-at-50-39424598.html

That's inside.
    Outside was 100 guests.

• Advertisement

See my post above. They spoke about it, but it didn't happen. And in any case, you don't know how many were at the wedding you attended. You only know it was more than 50.

Yes it did.
    I rang my colleague 10 mins ago.
    50 in the church, 100 at an outside reception :)

Advertisement