Advertisement
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Amazon.co.uk

1424345474853

Comments



  • @Suckit


    As many of us found out in January

    "Duties and taxes are calculated according to the shipping destination's customs regulations. Typically, this calculation is based on our product price and shipping, before any promotions. This allows destination country customs authorities to obtain the accurate import duties and taxes owed to them based on the actual value of the goods. For more information, go to About Customs, Duties & Taxes."
    About Import Fees Deposit

    Shipping is included in VAT calculations because amazon is paying it, even when discounted for you.
    Only Prime actually get shipping free without it included in VAT calculations.




  • Unless you are desperate for it I'd hang on there Suckit that Mango will very likely drop a few quid in price sooner or later its even been down to about a tenner (when I bought it) but that doesn't show on 3c's.com https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B073TSK26W.
    Yeah thanks, that's mainly why I was querying the price. I got it for €15 delivered with code last time - the code was under the listing. So I wouldn't fancy paying around twice that for it now.
    whiterebel wrote: »
    The €6 minimum for collection is gone since January.
    Thanks, hadn't realised that. Any idea why was that scrapped?
    They should update the revenue.ie site.
    corkie wrote: »
    @Suckit
    As many of us found out in January

    "Duties and taxes are calculated according to the shipping destination's customs regulations. Typically, this calculation is based on our product price and shipping, before any promotions. This allows destination country customs authorities to obtain the accurate import duties and taxes owed to them based on the actual value of the goods. For more information, go to About Customs, Duties & Taxes."
    About Import Fees Deposit

    Shipping is included in VAT calculations because amazon is paying it, even when discounted for you.
    Only Prime actually get shipping free without it included in VAT calculations.
    Ah... Hadn't realised that either, so that is obviously the reason why. Nice of amazon to be so concerned about other countries taxes.. :rolleyes:


    Thanks all..




  • Suckit wrote: »
    Does this look right?

    Item is priced €24.02 - shipping is free but they included it, then added tax and then removed it.
    So I would have thought tax or import fees should be zero, as they are below negligible amount with free shipping.

    552341.png
    That is correct as the free shipping still has a cost even if you are not being charged




  • Suckit wrote: »
    Yeah thanks, that's mainly why I was querying the price. I got it for €15 delivered with code last time - the code was under the listing. So I wouldn't fancy paying around twice that for it now.


    Thanks, hadn't realised that. Any idea why was that scrapped?
    They should update the revenue.ie site.

    Ah... Hadn't realised that either, so that is obviously the reason why. Nice of amazon to be so concerned about other countries taxes.. :rolleyes:


    Thanks all..

    Amazon have a legal obligation to Revenue to do it correctly. They pay the necessary tax in Ireland. Revenue tidied up a lot of pages, if you query it with them it will probably be removed straight away.




  • Suckit wrote: »
    Does this look right?

    Item is priced €24.02 - shipping is free but they included it, then added tax and then removed it.
    So I would have thought tax or import fees should be zero, as they are below negligible amount with free shipping.

    552341.png

    The 24.02 is Amazon UK's price including UK VAT, however they are delivering directly to Ireland, the end customer is not UK based. Certainly I would have thought it would be 24.02 minus 20% UK VAT and then calculations apply. Previously did Amazon not change the final amount to reflect Irish VAT.
    If my interpretation is correct it is a nice margin enhancement for someone.
    I did run a couple of test orders below any duty rates on a Amazon business account with VAT broken down and showed both UK VAT and then "import fees" being applied as the order was below duty rates VAT was the only item due to Irish revenue. I stuck to free shipping so all fulfilled by Amazon.


  • Advertisement


  • This isn't correct right?

    Amazon aren't removing the Uk vat a checkout, and they're then adding irish vat.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MM4V7NR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3QGNG67LYQEJK&psc=1




  • This isn't correct right?

    Amazon aren't removing the Uk vat a checkout, and they're then adding irish vat.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MM4V7NR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3QGNG67LYQEJK&psc=1

    It is. Sold by third party with no UK VAT to be removed.




  • Not sold by Amazon?




  • This isn't correct right?

    Amazon aren't removing the Uk vat a checkout, and they're then adding irish vat.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MM4V7NR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3QGNG67LYQEJK&psc=1

    Most sellers that have their stuff fulfilled by Amazon take the VAT off, however some don't show the VAT separately in the price (the invoice shows no VAT) in which case the VAT doesn't come off.

    I had this, needed the item anyway so went ahead then contacted the seller after it arrived and got a refund of the UK VAT but can't be sure if all sellers will do that. I contacted Amazon first and they said VAT or any refund was up to the seller and to contact the seller.

    Wake me up when it's all over.





  • The 24.02 is Amazon UK's price including UK VAT, however they are delivering directly to Ireland, the end customer is not UK based. Certainly I would have thought it would be 24.02 minus 20% UK VAT and then calculations apply. Previously did Amazon not change the final amount to reflect Irish VAT.
    If my interpretation is correct it is a nice margin enhancement for someone.
    I did run a couple of test orders below any duty rates on a Amazon business account with VAT broken down and showed both UK VAT and then "import fees" being applied as the order was below duty rates VAT was the only item due to Irish revenue. I stuck to free shipping so all fulfilled by Amazon.


    No, that doesn't seem right. The item price is the item price before VAT is charged. If they are at the "Buy in GBP" stage then they have selected an address and payment card. The €24.02 is just the item price.

    smile.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-MT300N-V2-Converter-Pre-installed-Performance/dp/B073TSK26W

    Same item: Going to a Belfast address with HMRC getting their cut.

    Amazon.co.uk Order Summary
    Items: GBP 21.57
    Postage & Packing: GBP 0.00
    Total before VAT: GBP 21.57
    Estimated VAT: GBP 4.31
    Order Total: GBP 25.8


    Going to a Dublin Address with Revenue getting their cut.
    Order Summary
    Items: GBP 21.57 (EUR 24,82)
    Postage & Packing: GBP 0.00
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 4.96 (EUR 5,71)
    Order Total: GBP 26.53 (31,18)


    Same item price, different vat amounts.


  • Advertisement


  • Just bought something off English Amazon and it had the option for economy delivery to keep the price under the customs threshold. No delivery date was given, anyone have any idea when I can expect it? I'm guessing 2+ weeks




  • stevetalk wrote: »
    Just bought something off English Amazon and it had the option for economy delivery to keep the price under the customs threshold. No delivery date was given, anyone have any idea when I can expect it? I'm guessing 2+ weeks
    I can't imagine economy delivery from the UK would take 2 weeks unless they are using it as a reason for you to use an alternative paid delivery in the future, which could be a possibility.

    Slow economy delivery I would expect to take a week - 10 days at most.




  • Suckit wrote: »
    I can't imagine economy delivery from the UK would take 2 weeks unless they are using it as a reason for you to use an alternative paid delivery in the future, which could be a possibility.

    Slow economy delivery I would expect to take a week - 10 days at most.

    Got an email today. 17th June. I said **** it and paid the extra fiver to get it next week. Economy delivery seems to be about 5 weeks.




  • Unusual, I though most economy deliveries came within a week.




  • stevetalk wrote: »
    Got an email today. 17th June. I said **** it and paid the extra fiver to get it next week. Economy delivery seems to be about 5 weeks.
    Maybe it's coming from Europe? Seems a bit mad otherwise.




  • Suckit wrote: »
    Maybe it's coming from Europe? Seems a bit mad otherwise.

    I highly doubt it. I've had Amazon orders shipped from Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Spain and France in the last month and none have taken more than 5 days.

    They probably just take ages to dispatch it.




  • stevetalk wrote: »
    Got an email today. 17th June. I said **** it and paid the extra fiver to get it next week. Economy delivery seems to be about 5 weeks.
    Maybe that's your problem. I never pay for delivery and it still comes in a few days. You've shown you care about speed of delivery. I don't.




  • VG31 wrote: »
    I highly doubt it. I've had Amazon orders shipped from Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Spain and France in the last month and none have taken more than 5 days.

    They probably just take ages to dispatch it.
    Same as that. I meant maybe coming from Europe to UK warehouse and then to be shipped out. Far more likely coming from USA or China, which maybe why they are asking for payment for faster delivery.
    I got a phone from Spain on the way and the fast shipping was only €1 more than the slow, and the slow was estimated 12 days.
    No idea why economy would be 5 weeks from the UK. Presumably not dispatched by Amazon.




  • Another S&S big delivery month (building stockpile before July 1st). Every item dispatched individually via An Post. 99.9% of my other deliveries come via Amazon Logistics so I don't get why this stuff comes in the post, some of it is quite bulky e.g kitchen roll




  • anyone having problems getting items dispatched from amazon uk? I ordered a football pump but after 3 weeks it hadnt been dispatched so i canceled it. then i ordered another pump on 15 may from a different seller, it hasnt been dispatched yet either. what is going on?


  • Advertisement


  • My issue with Amazon UK at moment is the unavailability of new music releases (CDs, vinyl, multi disc sets). They're just listed for pre-order and are already "temporarily unavailable" if you're ordering from outside UK. Some of them become available closer to release date but others have to be obtained from elsewhere. It's affecting more than Irish customers as I see online discussion from people in other parts of Europe not being able to order items. All of this is down to Brexit. For some reason, DVDs and BDs are not affected.




  • I haven't ordered from Amazon.co.uk since the end of December, just before Brexit. I ordered a beard trimmer (in-stock and fulfilled by Amazon) on Sunday and just got a delivery date of 18 July. I have Prime and it's shipping via priority delivery.

    Can anyone explain what is going on and why it'll take so long?




  • Rael wrote: »
    I haven't ordered from Amazon.co.uk since the end of December, just before Brexit. I ordered a beard trimmer (in-stock and fulfilled by Amazon) on Sunday and just got a delivery date of 18 July. I have Prime and it's shipping via priority delivery.

    Can anyone explain what is going on and why it'll take so long?

    It will probably arrive before that but what can happen is that the stock is in a warehouse that doesn't ship directly to Ireland (could even be in Germany or France) so they either eventually get around to shipping from the EU or wait till its back in stock in a nearer fulfillment center.

    But I'm open to other suggestions.

    Wake me up when it's all over.





  • It will probably arrive before that but what can happen is that the stock is in a warehouse that doesn't ship directly to Ireland (could even be in Germany or France) so they either eventually get around to shipping from the EU or wait till its back in stock in a nearer fulfillment center.

    But I'm open to other suggestions.

    Thanks for the explanation. Overall situation seems mad.




  • Getting real tired of amazon now, Would jump to a competitor in a heartbeat if they offered a similar service due to the amount of sellers refusing to ship to ireland at all. its ridiculous, id even pay for shipping but Nope..




  • In fairness, I haven't had much issues to be honest (bar January and February when Brexit made a mess of everything but that has passed). All items usually delivered within 48hrs.

    If anything, I've made some nice savigns with VAT not being charged for most goods under £22. Not good for the Irish revenue service of course.

    It will inprove further when the fulfillment centre in West Dublin opens early next year.




  • Getting real tired of amazon now, Would jump to a competitor in a heartbeat if they offered a similar service due to the amount of sellers refusing to ship to ireland at all. its ridiculous, id even pay for shipping but Nope..



    Is there not a service an post offer to get around the issue of sellers not shipping to Ireland? address pal?




  • pgj2015 wrote: »
    Is there not a service an post offer to get around the issue of sellers not shipping to Ireland? address pal?
    Think you are charged their fee + vat on whatever it is and a possible service fee. So for example a €50 item might cost €69.50 + €3.50 service fee.




  • Suckit wrote: »
    Think you are charged their fee + vat on whatever it is and a possible service fee. So for example a €50 item might cost €69.50 + €3.50 service fee.



    oh right. parcel wizard used to just charge 3.85. better times.:)


  • Advertisement


  • pgj2015 wrote: »
    oh right. parcel wizard used to just charge 3.85. better times.:)

    Pre brexit times....


Advertisement