Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

^^^^

Is that Amazon Prime or just free delivery over £25?
    Normal amazon, I haven't signed up for prime, but have the option of free 30 day trial.

the vatable total includes the shipping. they gave you a discount of €6 but it is the actual value that is relevant.
    That's where I got lost a little. So the actual value of shipping is included, regardless.
    That seems a bit weird (although probably correct).
    If the total value of the item delivered costs me €24.02, then I would have thought that would be what I would get taxed on.

It states shipping is free
    552352.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Unless you are desperate for it I'd hang on there Suckit that Mango will very likely drop a few quid in price sooner or later its even been down to about a tenner (when I bought it) but that doesn't show on 3c's.com https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B073TSK26W.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Suckit wrote: »
    If the shipping wasn't added before the VAT then the VAT amount would be negligible.
    The overall price is €24.02, that is the amount I pay, so surely I shouldn't have to pay VAT?
    I was just curious more than anything, as I haven't ordered from amazonuk since Brexit.
    But it looks incorrect to me.

The €6 minimum for collection is gone since January.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭corkie

@Suckit

As many of us found out in January

"Duties and taxes are calculated according to the shipping destination's customs regulations. Typically, this calculation is based on our product price and shipping, before any promotions. This allows destination country customs authorities to obtain the accurate import duties and taxes owed to them based on the actual value of the goods. For more information, go to About Customs, Duties & Taxes."
    About Import Fees Deposit

Shipping is included in VAT calculations because amazon is paying it, even when discounted for you.
    Only Prime actually get shipping free without it included in VAT calculations.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Advertisement

Unless you are desperate for it I'd hang on there Suckit that Mango will very likely drop a few quid in price sooner or later its even been down to about a tenner (when I bought it) but that doesn't show on 3c's.com https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B073TSK26W.
    Yeah thanks, that's mainly why I was querying the price. I got it for €15 delivered with code last time - the code was under the listing. So I wouldn't fancy paying around twice that for it now.
    whiterebel wrote: »
    The €6 minimum for collection is gone since January.
    Thanks, hadn't realised that. Any idea why was that scrapped?
    They should update the revenue.ie site.
    corkie wrote: »
    @Suckit
    As many of us found out in January

"Duties and taxes are calculated according to the shipping destination's customs regulations. Typically, this calculation is based on our product price and shipping, before any promotions. This allows destination country customs authorities to obtain the accurate import duties and taxes owed to them based on the actual value of the goods. For more information, go to About Customs, Duties & Taxes."
    About Import Fees Deposit

Shipping is included in VAT calculations because amazon is paying it, even when discounted for you.
    Only Prime actually get shipping free without it included in VAT calculations.
    Ah... Hadn't realised that either, so that is obviously the reason why. Nice of amazon to be so concerned about other countries taxes.. :rolleyes:

Thanks all..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Does this look right?

Item is priced €24.02 - shipping is free but they included it, then added tax and then removed it.
    So I would have thought tax or import fees should be zero, as they are below negligible amount with free shipping.

552341.png
    That is correct as the free shipping still has a cost even if you are not being charged

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yeah thanks, that's mainly why I was querying the price. I got it for €15 delivered with code last time - the code was under the listing. So I wouldn't fancy paying around twice that for it now.

Thanks, hadn't realised that. Any idea why was that scrapped?
    They should update the revenue.ie site.

Ah... Hadn't realised that either, so that is obviously the reason why. Nice of amazon to be so concerned about other countries taxes.. :rolleyes:

Thanks all..

Amazon have a legal obligation to Revenue to do it correctly. They pay the necessary tax in Ireland. Revenue tidied up a lot of pages, if you query it with them it will probably be removed straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Hi folks,

I've read through the thread but I haven't come across this one (apologies if i've overlooked this elsewhere).

I bought a Roborock vacuum for my folks (pet hair, bad backs etc.). What came was a filthy used unit, missing parts with the previous owners return docket still stuck to the front of it.

Starting the return process was no problem - they said it was my responsibility to return but they'd only cover it up to eleven euro.

But, as many others have experienced, An Post won't accept it. They won't issue a docket to bring it back to Port Laoise. Amazon Uk aren't interested.

Tried Parceltogo.com and they quoted 81 sterling to return the thing.

UPS say they won't ship to the address Amazon provided because the postcode is invalid. Amazon won't provide an alternative.

If this thing hadn't cost 250 quid I'd have given up by now.

Anyone have any suggestions what I can do here? (I will never buy anything off amazon de ever again).

Cheers,
    Quad

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Why won't An Post accept it? I mean, I get that they won't accept it for the depot in Port Laoise, but can't you just post it back to the address in Germany?

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Why won't An Post accept it? I mean, I get that they won't accept it for the depot in Port Laoise, but can't you just post it back to the address in Germany?

Because it has a battery.

Tried UPS there. Because it has a battery it'll cost me 47 quid from them.

Which Amazon will pay 11 quid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭VG31

quad_red wrote: »
    Because it has a battery.

Tried UPS there. Because it has a battery it'll cost me 47 quid from them.

Which Amazon will pay 11 quid of.

I posted something to Amazon.de before that cost me €18 to post. I went to the chat and they refunded the whole €18.

You're entitled to a refund of the return postage costs unless you changed your mind. Contact them through the chat. I wouldn't pay any attention to the €11 thing.
    UPS say they won't ship to the address Amazon provided because the postcode is invalid. Amazon won't provide an alternative.

What is the postcode? Is it 36251 (Bad Hersfeld)?

How is it your responsibility to return it? If its supposed to be new and arrived in that state, its theirnproblem, not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 theWebAdvisor

Does this look right?

Item is priced €24.02 - shipping is free but they included it, then added tax and then removed it.
    So I would have thought tax or import fees should be zero, as they are below negligible amount with free shipping.

552341.png

The 24.02 is Amazon UK's price including UK VAT, however they are delivering directly to Ireland, the end customer is not UK based. Certainly I would have thought it would be 24.02 minus 20% UK VAT and then calculations apply. Previously did Amazon not change the final amount to reflect Irish VAT.
    If my interpretation is correct it is a nice margin enhancement for someone.
    I did run a couple of test orders below any duty rates on a Amazon business account with VAT broken down and showed both UK VAT and then "import fees" being applied as the order was below duty rates VAT was the only item due to Irish revenue. I stuck to free shipping so all fulfilled by Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭antimatterx

This isn't correct right?

Amazon aren't removing the Uk vat a checkout, and they're then adding irish vat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MM4V7NR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3QGNG67LYQEJK&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭user302243

Amazon aren't removing the Uk vat a checkout, and they're then adding irish vat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MM4V7NR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3QGNG67LYQEJK&psc=1

It is. Sold by third party with no UK VAT to be removed.

Not sold by Amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Most sellers that have their stuff fulfilled by Amazon take the VAT off, however some don't show the VAT separately in the price (the invoice shows no VAT) in which case the VAT doesn't come off.

I had this, needed the item anyway so went ahead then contacted the seller after it arrived and got a refund of the UK VAT but can't be sure if all sellers will do that. I contacted Amazon first and they said VAT or any refund was up to the seller and to contact the seller.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭davetherave

The 24.02 is Amazon UK's price including UK VAT, however they are delivering directly to Ireland, the end customer is not UK based. Certainly I would have thought it would be 24.02 minus 20% UK VAT and then calculations apply. Previously did Amazon not change the final amount to reflect Irish VAT.
    If my interpretation is correct it is a nice margin enhancement for someone.
    I did run a couple of test orders below any duty rates on a Amazon business account with VAT broken down and showed both UK VAT and then "import fees" being applied as the order was below duty rates VAT was the only item due to Irish revenue. I stuck to free shipping so all fulfilled by Amazon.

No, that doesn't seem right. The item price is the item price before VAT is charged. If they are at the "Buy in GBP" stage then they have selected an address and payment card. The €24.02 is just the item price.

smile.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-MT300N-V2-Converter-Pre-installed-Performance/dp/B073TSK26W

Same item: Going to a Belfast address with HMRC getting their cut.

Amazon.co.uk Order Summary
    Items: GBP 21.57
    Postage & Packing: GBP 0.00
    Total before VAT: GBP 21.57
    Estimated VAT: GBP 4.31
    Order Total: GBP 25.8

Going to a Dublin Address with Revenue getting their cut.
    Order Summary
    Items: GBP 21.57 (EUR 24,82)
    Postage & Packing: GBP 0.00
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 4.96 (EUR 5,71)
    Order Total: GBP 26.53 (31,18)

Same item price, different vat amounts.

whiterebel wrote: »
    How is it your responsibility to return it? If its supposed to be new and arrived in that state, its theirnproblem, not yours.

They won’t engage. At this point I’ve argued with loads of people on web chat. The worst experience I’ve ever had with Amazon. I’ll never buy anything off Amazon DE again.

• Advertisement

They won’t engage. At this point I’ve argued with loads of people on web chat. The worst experience I’ve ever had with Amazon. I’ll never buy anything off Amazon DE again.

Go to your bank and ask them about doing a chargeback. They will need all written communication that you have, but this one looks open and shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 stevetalk

Just bought something off English Amazon and it had the option for economy delivery to keep the price under the customs threshold. No delivery date was given, anyone have any idea when I can expect it? I'm guessing 2+ weeks

stevetalk wrote: »
    Just bought something off English Amazon and it had the option for economy delivery to keep the price under the customs threshold. No delivery date was given, anyone have any idea when I can expect it? I'm guessing 2+ weeks
    I can't imagine economy delivery from the UK would take 2 weeks unless they are using it as a reason for you to use an alternative paid delivery in the future, which could be a possibility.

Slow economy delivery I would expect to take a week - 10 days at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Hi folks,

I've read through the thread but I haven't come across this one (apologies if i've overlooked this elsewhere).

I bought a Roborock vacuum for my folks (pet hair, bad backs etc.). What came was a filthy used unit, missing parts with the previous owners return docket still stuck to the front of it.

Starting the return process was no problem - they said it was my responsibility to return but they'd only cover it up to eleven euro.

But, as many others have experienced, An Post won't accept it. They won't issue a docket to bring it back to Port Laoise. Amazon Uk aren't interested.

Tried Parceltogo.com and they quoted 81 sterling to return the thing.

If this thing hadn't cost 250 quid I'd have given up by now.

Anyone have any suggestions what I can do here? (I will never buy anything off amazon de ever again).

Cheers,
    Quad

Tell them if they don't refund you in full youll be contacting the person whose details were on the docket and the data protection commissioner as theyve messed up. Shouldn't come to that but it should make them move fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 stevetalk

I can't imagine economy delivery from the UK would take 2 weeks unless they are using it as a reason for you to use an alternative paid delivery in the future, which could be a possibility.

Slow economy delivery I would expect to take a week - 10 days at most.

Got an email today. 17th June. I said **** it and paid the extra fiver to get it next week. Economy delivery seems to be about 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Unusual, I though most economy deliveries came within a week.

Got an email today. 17th June. I said **** it and paid the extra fiver to get it next week. Economy delivery seems to be about 5 weeks.
    Maybe it's coming from Europe? Seems a bit mad otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭VG31

Maybe it's coming from Europe? Seems a bit mad otherwise.

I highly doubt it. I've had Amazon orders shipped from Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Spain and France in the last month and none have taken more than 5 days.

They probably just take ages to dispatch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭EarWig

Maybe that's your problem. I never pay for delivery and it still comes in a few days. You've shown you care about speed of delivery. I don't.

• Advertisement

VG31 wrote: »
    I highly doubt it. I've had Amazon orders shipped from Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Spain and France in the last month and none have taken more than 5 days.

They probably just take ages to dispatch it.
    Same as that. I meant maybe coming from Europe to UK warehouse and then to be shipped out. Far more likely coming from USA or China, which maybe why they are asking for payment for faster delivery.
    I got a phone from Spain on the way and the fast shipping was only €1 more than the slow, and the slow was estimated 12 days.
    No idea why economy would be 5 weeks from the UK. Presumably not dispatched by Amazon.

Advertisement