Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scope mounts

Options
  • 13-05-2021 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

hi

I'm having difficulty with my mounts not holding zero, seem to be drifting right for some unknown reason

I've tikka m595 with a digex scope and optilock mounts
    no problem zeroing but never seems to hold zero for very long which means I'm constantly checking zero snd always have that niggling doubt when out shooting

without breaking the bank what would you recommend as a solution
    I'm presuming a picatinny rail is a must for starters
    quick release return to zero would be a "nice to have" option

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Richard308

hi

I'm having difficulty with my mounts not holding zero, seem to be drifting right for some unknown reason

I've tikka m595 with a digex scope and optilock mounts
    no problem zeroing but never seems to hold zero for very long which means I'm constantly checking zero snd always have that niggling doubt when out shooting

without breaking the bank what would you recommend as a solution
    I'm presuming a picatinny rail is a must for starters
    quick release return to zero would be a "nice to have" option

thanks

Picatinny is a flexible system. A.r.m.S rings are one of the few which guarantees return to zero. Very hard to find. There are some others but I have them on one rifle and can confirm after much testing they go back sub 1/4 “ moa once it goes back to Same place on the rail. The 1/4” was the worst result.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Richard308 wrote: »
    A.r.m.S rings are one of the few which guarantees return to zero. Very hard to find.

Available at www.oberlandarms.com

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Watching this with interest.

My mate has a Sako with Optilock bases/mounts. The set up will zero no bother but after a few rounds down the barrel it starts to wander and lose any usable zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

check that the screw that holds the rings to the base is not coming loose

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

Common problem and no way to check without removing the scope and then rings & bases and checking. Use loctite (red) or some "light" bonding agent to make sure they never come loose again.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

Watching this with interest.

My mate has a Sako with Optilock bases/mounts. The set up will zero no bother but after a few rounds down the barrel it starts to wander and lose any usable zero.

I have also seen the screw that joins the ring to the base come loose on opti-lock mounts.
    Another problem I've seen with the tapered dovetail on sakos is the mounts moving backwards.
    This can happen if using a moderator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Richard308

zeissman wrote: »
    I have also seen the screw that joins the ring to the base come loose on opti-lock mounts.
    Another problem I've seen with the tapered dovetail on sakos is the mounts moving backwards.

A friend had a rather expensive sako, zero perfect and hunt and 5 shots later rounds all over the place. Loctite couldn’t keep the rings or bases secure. obviously from working loose constantly the screw had no bite to receiver. Eventually changed the rings, retapped the receiver as the screws Put a picatinny rail and rings one. No issue since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

I had a problem with my bullets drifting laterally too. Could not figure it out for the life of me. All the screws were tight and everything seemed to be ok. Until one day I was just giving it a good clean and noticed that the front mount wasn't gripping the dovetail rail. There was a slight lateral movement. I had to turn the little clamp upside down in order to make contact with the dovetail rail. The mounts were designed for different widths of dovetail rails in mind. Simple solution to a problem that was annoying me for ages. Not saying that this is the problem but maybe get someone else to look at it for you as sometimes the solution is staring right at you and you are blind to it.

Apart from that I have a pair of Leopold Quick Release Bases to fit a tapered sako rail for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Paddyviking

Well after a few discussions I'm gonna head down to Dominic Byrne in Wexford and put a Set of Tier 1s straight onto the Tikka's dovetail receiver.
    Thought about putting on a picatinny rail but that would be inserting another variable into the equation so I'm going with Doms recommendation and direct fixing of the Tier 1 onto the dovetail.
    Fingers crossed I'll see he last of my zeroing issues.
    If it works I'll update this post ��

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

Sako Optilocks, I actually saw a guy beside me have a problem with the mounts coming loose, using a 30 06.
    Seems to be a common problem with those two part rings on two part rails. The problem being they cant use anything else because a 1 piece rail gets in the way when ejecting a round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

Witnessed this last week, with the same config with a mod

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Paddyviking

Turns out this was the same here
    When removing the mounts the base could easily revolve around the ring it was so loose

At least now I know what was wrong

New set of Tier 1s installed now so here's hoping any issues with mounts now behind me
    PV

Advertisement