Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Running Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I also have a few pairs of 1000 miles socks and find them excellent

paid more that €10 bucks for a pair though, so will be checking out M&M direct soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Seve OB wrote: »
    I also have a few pairs of 1000 miles socks and find them excellent

paid more that €10 bucks for a pair though, so will be checking out M&M direct soon :D

Used to pay quite a bit in Elverys and even on Amazon , then found them on MandM a year or so ago. They have the anklets /double layered and another type, really good value for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Thanks, I downloaded the C25K app that seems to have the most downloads in my play store so will check that out and see how it goes from there - appreciate the help!

There’s a page on Instagram called ‘together apart we run’. 12 week training plan covering 5k, 10k, 10mile, half and full. Starting week 2 today with a virtual race on 25th July. Page is run by Rozanna and Rachel Purcell and plans by John O Regan. All free and this is the 3rd virtual race iirc as other were such a success. All free too which is a bonus.

On a side note I must try 100mile socks now I’m venturing outside the 5km and pushing for 10km puls all going well.

Week 1 day 4 of 10km plan above was easy 30mins. I rang what I thought was easy (7mins/km) for first km but actually 6:08, so ‘slowed’ for the 2nd km 6.10 and feeling great so said feck it and went for it to try get a PB. Ended up running 5km in 30mins 2.5mins quicker than my previous best!! Was funnier is for last 3/4 weeks I’ve only been doing 3km or so max at as easy pace to all the advice here is correct run slower to run faster!! The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I use Steigen and find them great for comfort and reducing/nullifying blisters in longs runs.

Used to harden my feet with meths/surgical spirit as I thought it would help avoid blisters. Eventually found I was getting blisters under and at the edges of the hard skin. 1000mile socks helped a little.

Now I file down any hard skin and keep feet supple with moisturiser (Aldi cracked heel cream). I just wear normal Aldi/Lidl running socks up to marathon, Injini toe socks for longer to stop inter toe rubbing. No blisters after recent 24hr/100mile runs.

Wear socks that are snug, if they are slightly oversized then they can bunch up and cause hot spots.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Where were running shoes at, say, 30 years ago? How much science went into them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Used to harden my feet with meths/surgical spirit as I thought it would help avoid blisters. Eventually found I was getting blisters under and at the edges of the hard skin. 1000mile socks helped a little.

Now I file down any hard skin and keep feet supple with moisturiser (Aldi cracked heel cream). I just wear normal Aldi/Lidl running socks up to marathon, Injini toe socks for longer to stop inter toe rubbing. No blisters after recent 24hr/100mile runs.

Wear socks that are snug, if they are slightly oversized then they can bunch up and cause hot spots.

Yep, I am using a big pack of sports direct socks and can't say they are totally snug that's why I want to try something different. Am going to try the vaseline route as well but I think these 1000mile socks and steigen are ones to try. I've always had a blisters, no issue running through the pain these days, the issue it causes is in the aftermath, can't train properly with the pain after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If anyone asks about running the day after a Pfizer jab my advice is dont! Go for a walk instead if you must. I had mine yesterday morning and felt grand this morning apart from a sore arm. So of course I went for a run and already felt tired about 100 meters in, by the time i was done I was utterly shattered (it was a normally easy 10k). So yeah, obviously, dont run the day after the vax is my advice doh!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Supercell wrote: »
    If anyone asks about running the day after a Pfizer jab my advice is dont! Go for a walk instead if you must. I had mine yesterday morning and felt grand this morning apart from a sore arm. So of course I went for a run and already felt tired about 100 meters in, by the time i was done I was utterly shattered (it was a normally easy 10k). So yeah, obviously, dont run the day after the vax is my advice doh!

Thanks was just about to ask the question - planning a virtual 5k next week to be done Between the 18th and the 22nd - just got a call from gp on getting jabbed on the 19th. So I’ll either do it Tuesday or the Saturday .

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Thanks was just about to ask the question - planning a virtual 5k next week to be done Between the 18th and the 22nd - just got a call from gp on getting jabbed on the 19th. So I’ll either do it Tuesday or the Saturday .

Sounds sensible, my tummy isnt the best now and I'm still utterly wrecked, not worth it. Second jab next month is going to be followed by a rest day.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Had my first Pfizer dose on Monday afternoon and had mentally pencilled in a couple of days rest.

But was feeling pretty much ok yesterday so popped out for a mid-paced 10K at lunchtime. Have the gear ready to go now again today :-)

I guess it will effect everybody differently pending on a gazillion factors...I'll be keeping an eye out for any side effects for sure and will be avoiding anything too taxing over the next few days

• Advertisement

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Had my first Pfizer dose on Monday afternoon and had mentally pencilled in a couple of days rest.

But was feeling pretty much ok yesterday so popped out for a mid-paced 10K at lunchtime. Have the gear ready to go now again today :-)

I guess it will effect everybody differently pending on a gazillion factors...I'll be keeping an eye out for any side effects for sure and will be avoiding anything too taxing over the next few days

Thanks - keep us updated !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Yeah it's definitely specific to the individual. Buddy of mine did virtual marathon 12hrs after his Pfizer jab with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Slideways wrote: »
    I would say exactly the opposite. Let your breathing come as it needs to.
    You can practice taking big belly breaths when you’re not running as shallow breathing will cause you issues while running. There’s lots of videos on YouTube to describe the above

To be honest, I wouldn't just focus on belly breathing.
    It is also important to breathe into to ribcage as this will help proper breathing mechanic's. This will help to keep better posture. When we breathe we should also try expand both laterally and upwards. This can be done as a breathing exercise to begin with and will then become natural.

Yeah it's definitely specific to the individual. Buddy of mine did virtual marathon 12hrs after his Pfizer jab with no issues.

Thats mad, I couldnt imagine doing that yesterday! Slept 12 hours last night (i'm normally a light sleeper and rarely get more than 6 so that was off the chart for me) and right as rain today, sore arm gone too. Amazing the varience between people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I may have to travel to a country (not on red list) for essential reasons relating to work.

I’m trying to find out the rules on home quarantine (I’ve googled but no joy)

I know I can end after 5 days with a negative test but what does quarantine actually mean?

Am I not allowed leave the house at all, for example if I wanted to get a hours exercise (run)?

Thanks

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I may have to travel to a country (not on red list) for essential reasons relating to work.

I know I can end after 5 days with a negative test but what does quarantine actually mean?

Am I not allowed leave the house at all, for example if I wanted to get a hours exercise (run)?

Thanks

TbL

Mrs Robinson still at you.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Thanks

TbL
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/#quarantine-requirements
    you may only leave your place of residence during the quarantine period for unavoidable reasons of an emergency nature to protect a person’s health or welfare, or to leave the State

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Can anyone explain how to send someone else's activity on Strava to my Garmin watch?

I don't have Strava premium if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Yep, I am using a big pack of sports direct socks and can't say they are totally snug that's why I want to try something different. Am going to try the vaseline route as well but I think these 1000mile socks and steigen are ones to try. I've always had a blisters, no issue running through the pain these days, the issue it causes is in the aftermath, can't train properly with the pain after it.

I used to get bad blisters playing 5-a-side, I switched to 2 thin layers of cheapo socks and never had an issue again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Can anyone explain how to send someone else's activity on Strava to my Garmin watch?

You need to have a strava subscription to download the gpx file for an activity.

Do you know the person? (or are you just stalking? :p)

If you know the person they could create a route of the activity using Garmin Connect, make that public and then share that link with you.
    You then import that into Garmin Connect and can send it to your device.

(I'm assuming, of course, that their activity was recorded with a Garmin device)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

DeepBlue wrote: »
    You need to have a strava subscription to download the gpx file for an activity.

Do you know the person? (or are you just stalking? :p)

If you know the person they could create a route of the activity using Garmin Connect, make that public and then share that link with you.
    You then import that into Garmin Connect and can send it to your device.

(I'm assuming, of course, that their activity was recorded with a Garmin device)

Thank you, I do know the person so I'll try that method. Just finished the monthly free subscription yesterday. :mad:

I was at the physio a few weeks back as legs were tired/tight . He said I had tight calves and tight hamstrings but nothing seemed injured . At the time I told him I had what I thought was sciatica type pain when not running - he said wasn’t sciatica and was probably coming from the hamstring into the rest of the leg . Long story short I’m aching now when running . Having a break for a few days to see if will miraculously disappear . I still can’t figure out where the pain ( dull ache) is originating from - hip, butt or groin . No swelling , or redness . Anybody got any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I was at the physio a few weeks back as legs were tired/tight . He said I had tight calves and tight hamstrings but nothing seemed injured . At the time I told him I had what I thought was sciatica type pain when not running - he said wasn’t sciatica and was probably coming from the hamstring into the rest of the leg . Long story short I’m aching now when running . Having a break for a few days to see if will miraculously disappear . I still can’t figure out where the pain ( dull ache) is originating from - hip, butt or groin . No swelling , or redness . Anybody got any ideas ?

Ceepo is the go to man for these issues and he's usually if not always spot on with his advice. My guess is tight glute medius and/or piriformis. Some massage and soft tissue release would probably sort it out.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Ceepo is the go to man for these issues and he's usually if not always spot on with his advice. My guess is tight glute medius and/or piriformis. Some massage and soft tissue release would probably sort it out.

Thanks for the shout out ;)

Consciously don't want to go against giving out medical advise on Boards.ie.

What if any work did the "physio" do to address your tight calves and hamstring, and did that help with the pain/sensation in your leg,?
    How long after the physio session did you notice the pain when running.?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Thanks, I downloaded the C25K app that seems to have the most downloads in my play store so will check that out and see how it goes from there - appreciate the help!

Just an update on this, found it very useful this week - skipped forward to week 4 which was 3 minute jog 90 second walk, 5 minute jog, 2 minute walk repeated twice. Feel like I'm running within myself which is better than overdoing it I think :D My new running shoes also arrived which I think have made a difference also. Have paid more attention to stretching and used a massage gun early this week and finished off the last run this morning and legs feel completely fine.

@OffalyMedic - Ill check that page out too thank you

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Try this

Make sure you have your Strava and Garmin accounts linked.

Get them to add you to the run on Strava, you don’t need a sub to add someone who didn’t record, think you just need to be their friend on Strava.

I know a Garmin activity automatically links to Strava but I’ve never tried the other way around..... if it doesn’t link automatically maybe you can force it.

Once the activity is on your Garmin account you can save it as a course.

Then you just upload the course to your watch

Hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

Supercell wrote: »

Took your advice after my own close encounter with Mr Pfizer on Wed, was definitely a good idea as I fell asleep on the sofa after work on Thur. Felt grand today & got out for a easy run after work.

On the other hand a friend of mine who had the jab the same day felt very bad that night but was grand on Thur & went out to play a game of soccer that evening.

opus wrote: »
    Took your advice after my own close encounter with Mr Pfizer on Wed, was definitely a good idea as I fell asleep on the sofa after work on Thur. Felt grand today & got out for a easy run after work.

On the other hand a friend of mine who had the jab the same day felt very bad that night but was grand on Thur & went out to play a game of soccer that evening.

Also had jab on Wednesday - arm hurt like hell . Apart from that I was grand . Ran today - struggled with a tempo pace but that may not be jab related .

• Advertisement

Ceepo wrote: »
    Consciously don't want to go against giving out medical advise on Boards.ie.

What if any work did the "physio" do to address your tight calves and hamstring, and did that help with the pain/sensation in your leg,?
    How long after the physio session did you notice the pain when running.?

Thanks - physio massaged legs . He didn’t want to go too hard as I had substantial bruising on lower legs . Gave me stretches etc. The pain coming from butt/hip/ groin or whatever has come on gone over the years . I was doing stretches for piformis/sciatica which seemed to hep before but not helping now .

Advertisement