Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israeli - Palestinian Conflict *Threadbans in OP*

• 11-05-2021 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭

Yet another escalation in this ongoing conflict. There seems little prospect of peace or compromise.
    Will Israel continue to enjoy the full support of the US and other western governments?

Threadbanned Posters:
    TimeLadsPlease
    Marco23d
    ypre5
    KeepItLight
    Lmkrnr
    Samsonsmasher
    Biker79
    Fattybojangles
    Bobtheman
    OneMan37

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Comments

Just Israel being Israel.

There is no chance of peace there when people are being illegally turfed out of their homes to make way for settlers. You'd have to seriously question the mindset of anyone that would happily move into someone elses home in such a manner

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The bullied kid has become the bully.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

I rarely watch mainstream news, but I was surprised how little coverage there seems to be of this, judging online here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Will Israel continue to enjoy the full support of the US and other western governments?

Highly likely that nothing will change.,
    It's not an escalation more of a regular continuation of a stupid conflict ,
    We will see a lot of huff and puff on social media and here to a degree Israel did this and Israel yet that's as far as usually gets

Isn't it great they got their vaccine campaign sorted in time to go to war, though..keep their strength up for all the killing and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,133 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

IDF Soldier Recounts Harrowing, Heroic War Story Of Killing 8-Month-Old Child

JERUSALEM—Describing the terrifying yet valiant experience to his fellow battalion members, Israel Defense Forces soldier Yossi Saadon recounted Tuesday his harrowing, heroic war story of killing an 8-month-old Palestinian child during a violent attack against protesters. “It was a heart-pounding experience—there was smoke and gunfire all around me, and I made a split-second decision to hurl that canister of tear gas at the encroaching infant cradled in her father’s arms,” said Saadon to the group of awed soldiers, describing the chills that went up and down his spine as he realized that all he had was his M16 assault rifle and some tear gas to defend himself against the unarmed Palestinian family standing only dozens of yards away. “I could see the whites of the baby’s eyes and hear her terrifying cries, and I knew it was either her or me. And this wasn’t some newborn infant, you know? This was a baby who could probably sit up independently. I was scared, but I acted quickly to throw that tear gas at her and her older sister. And who knows how many lives I saved when I shot the women trying to help her?” At press time, Saadon’s battalion commander informed him that he was submitting his name for the Medal of Valor, the IDF’s highest honor.

https://www.theonion.com/idf-soldier-recounts-harrowing-heroic-war-story-of-kil-1826048745

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

It's different this time when Tel Aviv is attacked. The IDF will have no choice but to go in to Gaza. They have avoided full conflict there always. Maybe this will be it. Or not. We await developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From The Guardian:
    On Tuesday evening, a 13-storey tower housing apartments and the offices of officials from Hamas, the Islamist group that rules inside Gaza, was hit by an Israeli airstrike and collapsed. Residents had earlier been told to evacuate. In response, Hamas’s military wing said it had fired 130 rockets towards Tel Aviv, and air raid sirens and then explosions were heard in the coastal city.
    So Hamas officials had their offices in a residential building? It's almost as if they don't care about civilian casualties.
    The attacks began on Monday evening, when after weeks of intense violence in Jerusalem, Hamas fired a barrage of rockets towards the holy city, believed to be the first time it had targeted Jerusalem in more than seven years.
    The Guardian is staunchly pro-Palestine, but even they aren't pretending that Hamas didn't start the latest offensive.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Hhhhh wrote: »
    Just Israel being Israel.

There is no chance of peace there when people are being illegally turfed out of their homes to make way for settlers. You'd have to seriously question the mindset of anyone that would happily move into someone elses home in such a manner

Very reminiscent of Nazi behaviour, the sheer irony of it.

Ultimately they are sectarian assholes, the leaked confidential papers showed Israel has been offered everything it 'wants' in public, it still wasn't good enough.

That just shows they don't want peace they want to ethnically cleanse.

bnt wrote: »
    From The Guardian:

So Hamas officials had their offices in a residential building? It's almost as if they don't care about civilian casualties.

The responsibility is still with the attacker.

This all started with attacks on the mosques.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

So Hamas officials had their offices in a residential building? It's almost as if they don't care about civilian casualties..

It's a standard tactic to dissuade being targeted. Same as most insurgents/guerilla militants. Makes sense from their POV.

Plus, the IDF generally use "knock knock" tactics. A small projectile impacting their desired target, designed to evacuate a building before the oncoming main strike. A mitigation measure to reduce civilian casualties.

However, strategic targeting of opposition leadership often yields a direct attack.
    The Guardian is staunchly pro-Palestine, but even they aren't pretending that Hamas didn't start the latest offensive.

Well, its something that has been continually building. Who starts "the latest offensive" really means nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The won't be peace for another few decades.
    Some dead in Ashkelon. Some dead in Gaza.

Pray for Israel.

https://twitter.com/KatieDaviscourt/status/1392187931662577669?s=20

The US media must show nothing about what Israel does until it is attacked.

It's only news if Israel shoots back.

biko wrote: »

Actually it’s only news if hamas attack. Israel attacks all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Well, their air defence is taking a hammering at the moment. A significant response may yet happen.

Gaza is going to get hammered!!

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭gw80

Pray for Israel.

https://twitter.com/KatieDaviscourt/status/1392187931662577669?s=20

The US media must show nothing about what Israel does until it is attacked.
    The problem is, there are a lot of people in the upper echelons of power in America whose first allegiance is to another country, and there is another group in positions of power (evangelicals) who see Israel as a stepping stone to armageddon so they support what they are doing in Israel,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The most recent violence started with Israeli colonial terrorist attempting to ethnically cleanse Palestinians from their homes in Sheikh Jarrah in East Jerusalem, which was followed by IDF attacks on protesters and then various attacks on Al Aqsa mosque.

The only reason we seeing anything in the media now, is Hamas retaliated against Israeli violence with indiscriminate rocket fire (which is of course wrong), and Israel then responded with deliberately murdering civilians (remember Israel has tech to know who they are choosing to kill). Of course the lack of condemnation of Israel from the usual suspects tell us everything we need to know about them and their claims to be against terrorism.

For some odd reason Israel has a right to self defense, but the Palestinians do not. Even stranger that peaceful resistance like BDS is somehow violent anti-semitism as well. Basically, Israel and the West expect the Palestinians to roll over and die.

fvp4 wrote: »
    Actually it’s only news if hamas attack. Israel attacks all the time.
    If that was true then Gaza would be flattened by now.

Also, to note Netanyahu is currently on trial for corruption:
    Netanyahu Trial: Cross-examination of Ex-news Site CEO Resumes

Sure that has nothing to do with anything happening right now.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The Iron Dome is a remarkable piece of technology. It's like Star Wars.

A two-state system is the only solution. I thought there was a chance when Clinton, Arafat and Rabin started a dialogue in the mid 1990s.

Unfortunately Israel is heavy-handed and oppressive, while the Arab World want to drive the Jews into the Mediterranean Sea.

Just saw this tweet:
    https://twitter.com/simonwiesenthal/status/1392186273129930752?s=20

Going after Sarour, I get. Israel supporters have unfairly vilified her for years now, but to randomly go after BLM is some bizarre racist crap.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Unfortunately Israel is heavy-handed and oppressive, while the Arab World want to drive the Jews into the Mediterranean Sea.

They do?

Care to explain the peace deals with Jordan and Egypt?

The so called "peace" (it was a weapons deal really) deal recently with the UAE. The so called Abraham accords.

Also the Arabs leagues peace initiative:
    Arab peace initiative: full text

Which btw is still on the table.

Sorry, but you are fundamentally wrong in what you claim. If anything the Arab states could care less about the Palestinians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

If that was true then Gaza would be flattened by now.

Your definition of "attack" is pretty one dimensional.

wes wrote: »
    If anything the Arab states could care less about the Palestinians.
    This is true. For example Palestinians aren't considered citizens in Lebanon even if they were born there. Some in Egypt (mainly Christian Palestinians (yes they exist)) can get citizenship by marriage to an Egyptian. Some babies get citizenship if they have an Egyptian mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

wes wrote: »
    They do?

Care to explain the peace deals with Jordan and Egypt?

The so called "peace" (it was a weapons deal really) deal recently with the UAE. The so called Abraham accords.

Also the Arabs leagues peace initiative:
    Arab peace initiative: full text

Which btw is still on the table.

Sorry, but you are fundamentally wrong in what you claim. If anything the Arab states could care less about the Palestinians.

If the Arab World were stronger than Israel and there was no American back-up, they would have little hesitation in over-running the Jewish State.

If the Arab World were stronger than Israel and there was no American back-up, they would have little hesitation in over-running the Jewish State.

So you are speaking of an entirely hypothetical situation and choosing to ignore actual peace deals, and actual peace offers :D. Someone always chooses to be over the top absurd in these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

Which is precisely what they did during the 7th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭briany

A two-state system is the only solution. I thought there was a chance when Clinton, Arafat and Rabin started a dialogue in the mid 1990s.

I thought a two-state solution was what we have, i.e. Israel and Palestine. Harder to make that work when either state is firing rockets at the other and occupying parts of it.

I wouldn't claim to have any answers to the situation. If answers were that easy to come by, I suppose we'd already have them. I can understand that the land of Israel is a very important place to the Jewish people, considered as their ancestral and rightful homeland. The problem is that it's impossible for that place to exist in peace in the current religio-political situation in the ME, which is mostly Muslim, and because of the way that the current state of Israel came about, as an outgrowth of western colonialism through the British Mandate of Palestine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭bmc58

The bullied kid has become the bully.

Who has the origional bully?

Advertisement