Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israeli - Palestinian Conflict *Threadbans in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Odhinn

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    How is it legal, under Israeli law, to do this?
    I don't know much about the details, just heard that some families were to be evicted.

Was it a rent squabble used as an excuse, or something like that?

It's part of a process of 'slow drip' ethnic cleansing which facilitates colonisation of the area. You might read the link
    https://www.btselem.org/topic/jerusalem

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Israel need to be charged with war crimes.

It seems that the Israelis have become the new Nazis.
    Seizing land, bulldozing homes, targeting the weakest. Sledgehammer to a nut.

Fandymo wrote: »
    They literally just walk in and say, this is my house now. I'm not even joking.

...and once they buy one house, they work to drive out their palestinian neighbours by abuse and violence, with the aid of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I don't know much about the details, just heard that some families were to be evicted.

An Israeli law allows Jews who can "prove" that land or property that was owned by Jews prior to 1948, can be reclaimed by Jewish settlers and any non-Jews living there can be expelled. Of course Palestinians/non-Jews have no such "rights". It's lawful racist apartheid in Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Israeli Settlers laid claim to the already occupied land. The occupants were forcibly removed. There was a court case due last Monday which was postponed for another month. This lead to protests and the current conflict.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

namloc1980 wrote: »
    An Israeli law allows Jews who can "prove" that land or property that was owned by Jews prior to 1948, can be reclaimed by Jewish settlers and any non-Jews living there can be expelled. Of course Palestinians/non-Jews have no such "rights". It's lawful racist apartheid in Israel.

Thank you and the others above for the responses.
    So, in Israel, Jews and non-Jews are not treated equally under Israeli law?

So, the cause of Jewish right of self determination, could be looked at as different from the self-determination of other peoples and nations, e.g. the Kurdish people, or others?

It's interesting, I have no idea of the legal situation of Arabs or Palestinians who live within the Israeli state.

It seems that the Israelis have become the new Nazis.
    Seizing land, bulldozing homes, targeting the weakest. Sledgehammer to a nut.

Muslims live peacefully in Israel. There is no systematic oppression. Same for LGBT and other groups. In the surrounding countries Jews are driven out and they throw gay people off buildings. Israel is the most tolerant country in the region, believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

Thank you and the others above for the responses.
    So, in Israel, Jews and non-Jews are not treated equally under Israeli law?

So, the cause of Jewish right of self determination, could be looked at as different from the self-determination of other peoples and nations, e.g. the Kurdish people, or others?

It's interesting, I have no idea of the legal situation of Arabs or Palestinians who live within the Israeli state.

Jews live a normal life with full full rights and Palestinians live under apartheid, read through the Human Rights Watch report
    Israeli authorities are committing the crimes against humanity of apartheid and persecution, Human Rights Watch
    https://www.hrw.org/news/2021/04/27/abusive-israeli-policies-constitute-crimes-apartheid-persecution

Or Amnesty internationals report
    Israel continued to impose institutionalized discrimination against Palestinians living under its rule in Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories
    https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/middle-east-and-north-africa/israel-and-occupied-palestinian-territories/report-israel-and-occupied-palestinian-territories/

Muslims live peacefully in Israel. There is no systematic oppression. Same for LGBT and other groups. In the surrounding countries Jews are driven out and they throw gay people off buildings. Israel is the most tolerant country in the region, believe it or not.

Palestinians in the Israeli state face much discrimination. Secondly, its cherry picking to focus on their treatment without looking at the treatment meted out to those in the occupied territories.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

The sad truth of the matter is that it's not in Israel's interest to have peace. They have made large gains in territory through war over the years.
    With the backing of the West, they are practically untouchable. The unfortunate result of this is the massively lopsided number of deaths we see from both sides of the conflicts. Even in the last couple of days its been 5 Israeli deaths vs. ~40 Palestinians and their residential buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

True enough. As a G person, I'd love to spend time there; great weather, great food. If it only weren't for that pesky war business. ;)

https://bdsmovement.net/pinkwashing

Pinkwashing is an Israeli government propaganda strategy that cynically exploits LGBTQIA+ rights to project a progressive image while concealing Israel’s occupation and apartheid policies oppressing Palestinians.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,641 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

US Presidential hopeful Andrew Yang stepped into it:

https://twitter.com/AndrewYang/status/1391897869137887234?s=20

I spoke to a group of volunteers for the campaign yesterday, some of whom have been with me for years. Many of them were upset with my recent tweet expressing solidarity with the people of Israel in conjunction with the violence in the region this week that has claimed the lives of innocents and children on both sides.

They expressed to me that they follow and support me for a number of reasons, one is that I am a clear-headed person who follows facts. The other is that I am a human being who stands for universal values of fellowship and goodwill. They felt that my tweet was overly simplistic in my treatment of a conflict that has a long and complex history full of tragedies. And they felt it failed to acknowledge the pain and suffering on both sides.

They were, of course, correct.

I mourn for every Palestinian life taken before its time as I do for every Israeli. Suffering and pain and violence and death suffered by anyone hurts us all. All people want to be able to live in peace. We all want that for ourselves and our children.

Support of a people does not make one blind to the pain and suffering of others. Again, most everyone simply wants to be able to live and pray in peace.

And that is what we want as well. I join with millions around the world in praying that the current situation be resolved as quickly as possible, peacefully and with minimal suffering.

For those who have spoken to me on this – thank you. Continue to believe in humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

True enough. As a G person, I'd love to spend time there; great weather, great food. If it only weren't for that pesky war business. ;)

I'm sure Nazi Germany in the 1930s would have been a cool place to hang out also or Apartheid SA as long as you were the right colour.

Housefree wrote: »

What are we supposed to make of that? Are Israel somehow worse than homophobic muslim countries because they are proud of their tolerance of the LGBT community?

Surely "pinkwashing" is a lot more preferable that what the lads in Saudi Arabia are up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Muslims live peacefully in Israel.

Palestinians in Sheik Jarrah are being ethnically cleansed....... Some "peace". Also, Palestinians being murdered in Gaza don't get to live in peace either. Perhaps look up the word peace in a dictionary.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

CNN had an interesting OpEd yesterday I had not considered. We have generally been focusing on two-state solutions, mainly because it's the sort of thing we are conditioned to think as 'correct'. Palestine for the palestinians, Israel for the Israelis. The catch with this is that you end up with inter-state power issues. (Legitimate ones, not "we will invade" types).

The proposal was that if the whole shebang is simply given to Israel, and all palestinians given full rights and priviliges accorded to all Israeli citizens, they would not be in an inferior position with respect to 'settlers' under Israeli laws. Quite how protected the 20% of Israelis who are not jews are under Israeli law, I'm not sufficiently up to speed to say. Like anything else Israel-related, a cursory search online results in politically tainted commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

What are we supposed to make of that? Are Israel somehow worse than homophobic muslim countries because they are proud of their tolerance of the LGBT community?

Surely "pinkwashing" is a lot more preferable that what the lads in Saudi Arabia are up to.

These people just use Israel as a pinata to vent their anti semitism, I always find it amazing how silent these 'activists' are about the dozens of other counties who commit far far worse crimes than Israel yet it's the one Jewish majority country on the planet that causes such grave offense to them.

Proud of their treatment of their own lgbt community. They blackmail gay Palestinians to turn them into informers against their own people.
    https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-idf-gays-who-help-blackmail-gays-1.5305326

They are using their tolerance to cover up their racism. You see not being homophobic, doesn't give you a free pass on racism, hence the term "pink washing".

• Advertisement

ypres5 wrote: »
    These people just use Israel as a pinata to vent their anti semitism, I always find it amazing how silent these 'activists' are about the dozens of other counties who commit far far worse crimes than Israel yet it's the one Jewish majority country on the planet that causes such grave offense to them.

Labelling it Anti semitism when you call out Apartheid :(
    Israel is an apartheid state
    https://www.hrw.org/news/2021/04/27/abusive-israeli-policies-constitute-crimes-apartheid-persecution

Palestinians live under constant human rights abuses
    https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/middle-east-and-north-africa/israel-and-occupied-palestinian-territories/report-israel-and-occupied-palestinian-territories/

Ireland has a great Palestinian solidarity group
    https://www.ipsc.ie/

Make sure you check out the boycott campaign
    https://bdsmovement.net/

Israel employs an army of social media warriors, make sure you don't get caught up debating them
    https://electronicintifada.net/content/inside-israels-million-dollar-troll-army/27566

Falsely accusing others of racism, while supporting an ethno state is some hypocrisy :D.

Those who support Israel, an ethno state, something the Israeli government has made clear via the nation state law, referred to earlier in this thread, are clearly racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Housefree wrote: »

Rory Cowan is a famous Irish pinkwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Do you think the IRA forcibly removed the British army from Ireland and that this led to independence? Guerilla warfare achieved very little. World War 1 was the catalyst for our independence.

The aim was to make it difficult or impossible for the English to continue in the effective colonial administration of Ireland. That was achieved and brought England to the negotiating table. Guerilla warfare achieved a lot. Obviously WW1 and other external factors were an enormous help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

How anyone can defend the actions of the Israeli government is beyond me, especially Irish people who are subject to an occupation themselves. Israel would not be as bold in their bullying tactics without the backing of the Jewnited States, who are the ultimate bully boys. The influence of Jews in a slow genocide is not surprising, they use the holocaust as a free pass to eradicate their enemies, but are just as bad, and worse in some cases, although nazi Germany set a high benchmark. That still doesn't excuse their behaviour.

What's this occupation I'm currently living under as an Irish person?

How anyone can defend the actions of the Israeli government is beyond me, especially Irish people who are subject to an occupation themselves. Israel would not be as bold in their bullying tactics without the backing of the Jewnited States, who are the ultimate bully boys. The influence of Jews in a slow genocide is not surprising, they use the holocaust as a free pass to eradicate their enemies, but are just as bad, and worse in some cases, although nazi Germany set a high benchmark. That still doesn't excuse their behaviour.

Plenty of Jewish people are against the Israeli/Zionist actions.

CNN had an interesting OpEd yesterday I had not considered. We have generally been focusing on two-state solutions, mainly because it's the sort of thing we are conditioned to think as 'correct'. Palestine for the palestinians, Israel for the Israelis. The catch with this is that you end up with inter-state power issues. (Legitimate ones, not "we will invade" types).

The proposal was that if the whole shebang is simply given to Israel, and all palestinians given full rights and priviliges accorded to all Israeli citizens, they would not be in an inferior position with respect to 'settlers' under Israeli laws. Quite how protected the 20% of Israelis who are not jews are under Israeli law, I'm not sufficiently up to speed to say. Like anything else Israel-related, a cursory search online results in politically tainted commentary.

Sounds like an excellent idea.

I propose that you head up the Shankill a few weeks after the vote for the unification of Ireland (whenever it happens) and explain to the unionists, that they'll become Irish, but they'll have "full rights and priviliges accorded to all Irish citizens". I'm sure they'd be delighted with that.

What other first world countries massacre children daily? Arrest kids daily? Bomb residential areas daily? Bulldoze minorities homes daily?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

I actually take offence at you accusing me of being an anti semite because I do not agree with how Israel act in these situations. Cop to fk on

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    Falsely accusing others of racism, while supporting an ethno state is some hypocrisy :D.

Those who support Israel, an ethno state, something the Israeli government has made clear via the nation state law, referred to earlier in this thread, are clearly racist.

Israel is an ethno state in the same way the Islamic Republic of Iran is. Why do you make it sound worse than Iran?

Advertisement