Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pieta

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,196 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Jack, i think you're largely on your own on insisting CEOs of such orgs should be volunteers. Similar issues in sport where the vast majority of the participants and administrators are voluntary, but they all recognise they need a professional paid CEO and senior management.

Pieta does some great work and many lives saved. Could it be run better, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

A friend said similar to me yesterday evening :(

Based on what evidence?

Do you have any idea the pressure and stress of a CEO job? You might think CEO's sit around drinking brandy and playing golf all day but you'd be wrong.

You're on the hook for everything, good or bad, success or failure.

I'm not nor have ever been a CEO, nor do I ever aspire to be one but I guarantee the hours put in by the average CEO in this country are far in excess of 60 hrs per week. The company basically owns you for the duration of your tenure.

This is one of the reasons a CEO is paid so well. And 120K for a CEO salary is nothing.

The CEO position in any charity organisation should be a voluntary position IMO. That same €100k goes a long way to providing services that the charity aims to provide to people who they determine are in need of their services.

This is an utterly ridiculous statement, how can you expect someone with the qualifications and experience required to run an organisation/company as CEO to work for free?

Delusional....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Xander10 wrote: »
    I never got the impression that this was the case in the likes of the Peter McVerry Trust?

Thats PmcV who receive €18m from the govt, then have to pay the first €5m of donations towards their €23m a year wage bill??

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mazcon

Agreed. It would be unethical. 25 hours a week at a minimum of 40 euros an hour would be the optimum.

25 hours a week working primarily with a suicidal population would be a recipe for burnout. 16-20 hours per week would really be the ethical maximum for the sake of both the counsellor and their clients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The CEO position in any charity organisation should be a voluntary position IMO. That same €100k goes a long way to providing services that the charity aims to provide to people who they determine are in need of their services.

Hey, would you work for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭dublin49

Charities are flawed entities that are likely to become unhinged by the nature of their design.They have no real customers,no profit motive and lack proper oversight,in general a charity gets a lump of money and the management get to decide what to do with the resources.Thats before you consider the cash donations and all the temptation that entails.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

How much should the CEO of a large charity make in your opinion?

More than the average of what an Irish person gets. Let's say 60k is a lot above the average?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Das Reich wrote: »
    More than the average of what an Irish person gets. Let's say 60k is a lot above the average?

Are you suggesting that €60k is a good enough salary to entice private sector CEO's to make the switch over to managing a charity? :confused:

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that €60k is a good enough salary to entice private sector CEO's to make the switch over to managing a charity? :confused:
    Why are you assuming that charities should entice private sector CEOs? An NGO is radically different to a for-profit business entity, especially at the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,196 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Why are you assuming that charities should entice private sector CEOs? An NGO is radically different to a for-profit business entity, especially at the top.

A family connection has taken a drop in salary to head up a wing of a charity. Yes it's an on call all the time, by and large. That's why I would say €75/80K is a balance. The financials on any org have to be structured to largely eliminate the option of irregularity. Know so many local clubs who have been skimmed at one time or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Das Reich wrote: »

Lets be realistic though, if you offered a role like this for 60k you would either get somebody who isn't qualified, or somebody who would do it for 6 months to build experience then move to a more lucrative role. Why would you stay in a job that you underpaid by at least 40%?? There would be no continuity, which isn't good for the organisation, it would be chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You won't even get retired CEO/CFO/COO level people working for free, OEJ.

Only way that happens is if you return the running of these organisations to the Religious orders.

You will, and there are people who do just that, giving their time, resources and skills to charities which support causes they are passionate about.

Keyzer wrote: »
    This is an utterly ridiculous statement, how can you expect someone with the qualifications and experience required to run an organisation/company as CEO to work for free?

Delusional....

It’s called charity.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Hey, would you work for free?

Yes? And I do, it’s voluntary btw, I’m not being forced to work for free, I wouldn’t expect anyone should be forced to work for free, that’s exploitation, not charity. Charity means being dependent upon volunteers who willingly give their time, resources and skills to charity in support of causes they’re passionate about. Mine just happen to be education and homelessness. Suicide prevention specifically is just not something I’m passionate enough about to want to give my time, resources and skills to, but I know there are no shortage of exceptionally qualified people who have the skills and the knowledge and the resources to give to charities which do work in areas like suicide prevention and youth mental health as examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

mazcon wrote: »
    25 hours a week working primarily with a suicidal population would be a recipe for burnout. 16-20 hours per week would really be the ethical maximum for the sake of both the counsellor and their clients.

I know psychologists who are working 25 hourly sessions per week with actively suicidal people and have been doing so for many years.

I know psychologists who are working 25 hourly sessions per week with actively suicidal people and have been doing so for many years.
    "I don't understand the difference between a CEO and a Manager!"

"I don't understand the difference between leadership and management!"

And now "I happen to know several psychologists intimately enough to know a) the characteristics of their entire client base & b) their work patterns over a period of many years"

Yes, I absolutely believe your latest line.

Do you have any idea the pressure and stress of a CEO job? You might think CEO's sit around drinking brandy and playing golf all day but you'd be wrong.

You're on the hook for everything, good or bad, success or failure.

I'm not nor have ever been a CEO, nor do I ever aspire to be one but I guarantee the hours put in by the average CEO in this country are far in excess of 60 hrs per week. The company basically owns you for the duration of your tenure.

This is one of the reasons a CEO is paid so well. And 120K for a CEO salary is nothing.

If only someone would set up a charity to help them deal with the stress of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Are you sure you have that right? 25 hours a week and all the additional admin hours would be a lot for anyone and not healthy for either party. I've worked in trauma counselling services before and we were on a strict 20 hours a week limit and even that was too much some weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

If only someone would set up a charity to help them deal with the stress of it all.

Thankfully if they need additional support they can pay for it themselves because they are being remunerated for their work :) however if some on here were to have their way and have them working for nothing then yes they probably would need to avail of charitable resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

eviltwin wrote: »
    Are you sure you have that right? 25 hours a week and all the additional admin hours would be a lot for anyone and not healthy for either party. I've worked in trauma counselling services before and we were on a strict 20 hours a week limit and even that was too much some weeks.

Absolutely certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Antares35 wrote: »
    Thankfully if they need additional support they can pay for it themselves because they are being remunerated for their work :) however if some on here were to have their way and have them working for nothing then yes they probably would need to avail of charitable resources.

You’re actually not that far off. I’m not aware of how common the practice is, but I do know that in some charity organisations they provide external counselling and therapy for staff and volunteers. I was offered it on a few occasions and I chose to decline the offer, but the cost is billed to the charity organisation as opposed to anyone having to pay for it out of their own pockets. I know that in some organisations it’s mandatory for their staff, depending upon the nature of the work they’re doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭corks finest

You’re actually not that far off. I’m not aware of how common the practice is, but I do know that in some charity organisations they provide external counselling and therapy for staff and volunteers. I was offered it on a few occasions and I chose to decline the offer, but the cost is billed to the charity organisation as opposed to anyone having to pay for it out of their own pockets. I know that in some organisations it’s mandatory for their staff, depending upon the nature of the work they’re doing.

My friends a counselor and before qualifying in whatever she had an intense 8 weeks sessions herself , suppose you need a clear head to advise - help others

Antares35 wrote: »
    Ref Pieta the counselling is for parents also enabling one to spot problems,and break them down,and the most beneficial part of the session for all concerned is learned coping skills for the individual, instead of climbing into a dark hole immediately the individual learns not to overreact and understand why this is happening and how to get through it- IT WORKS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Ref Pieta the counselling is for parents also enabling one to spot problems,and break them down,and the most beneficial part of the session for all concerned is learned coping skills for the individual, instead of climbing into a dark hole immediately the individual learns not to overreact and understand why this is happening and how to get through it- IT WORKS

I'm not doubting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mazcon

My friends a counselor and before qualifying in whatever she had an intense 8 weeks sessions herself , suppose you need a clear head to advise - help others

In order to be accredited a counsellor has to have a minimum of 50 hours personal therapy over the course of their study. 8 weeks wouldn't touch the surface of the personal work needed before practicing as a therapist. The problem in Ireland is that counselling and therapy is unregulated so anyone can operate as a counselor even if they have little or no training. Hopefully CORU registration isn't too far off to regulate the sector.

In order to be accredited a counsellor has to have a minimum of 50 hours personal therapy over the course of their study. 8 weeks wouldn't touch the surface of the personal work needed before practicing as a therapist. The problem in Ireland is that counselling and therapy is unregulated so anyone can operate as a counselor even if they have little or no training. Hopefully CORU registration isn't too far off to regulate the sector.[/quote don't know TBH I'm passing on what she told me,she's now up n running ( mature nurturing lady)

In order to be accredited a counsellor has to have a minimum of 50 hours personal therapy over the course of their study. 8 weeks wouldn't touch the surface of the personal work needed before practicing as a therapist. The problem in Ireland is that counselling and therapy is unregulated so anyone can operate as a counselor even if they have little or no training. Hopefully CORU registration isn't too far off to regulate the sector.

https://iahip.org/main_content/uploads/2020/08/Bye-Law-11.pdf

Yes. The requirements are extremely rigorous for accreditation and hopefully only accredited therapists will be able to practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

.........In Ireland is that counselling and therapy is unregulated so anyone can operate as a counselor even if they have little or no training.

Anyone can set themselves up as a counsellor, open a little office tomorrow no problem

No need for 50 hours of anything, it ain't a protected term unlike doctor,engineer etc
    In order to be accredited a counsellor has to have a minimum of 50 hours personal therapy over the course of their study.

That was/is due to change at some stage this year though

Until then .. just another shower of chancers

Need help ? go get it from properly qualified people in the field

gctest50 wrote: »
    Anyone can set themselves up as a counsellor, open a little office tomorrow no problem

No need for 50 hours of anything, it ain't a protected term unlike doctor,engineer etc

That was/is due to change at some stage this year though

Until then .. just another shower of chancers

Need help ? go get it from properly qualified people in the field

They will have difficulty getting insurance though and they may also have few clients due to people being more aware. In saying that a strong social media presence can work miracles. I've come across a few on Instagram. Fancy websites, services we provide, €100 per session. Oh and I'm doing this because I collected cereal box tokens.

Chancers

Pieta helps people who are feeling suicidal, I think that might classified as a few 100 levels above stressed.

But great comeback, give yourself a pat on the back.

• Advertisement

Pieta helps people who are feeling suicidal, I think that might classified as a few 100 levels above stressed.

But great comeback, give yourself a pat on the back.

You got it right PIETA HELPS PEOPLE

Advertisement