Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pieta

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Sezzie wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what happens and also can they get suitably qualified counsellors to take up the positions. They have sacked the old staff and now want to pay counsellors 25 euro an hour for counselling and 15 euro an hour for assessments.

They haven't "sacked" the old staff - they just aren't taking on any new "employed" counsellors.The old staff were offered redundancy packages and/or changes to their working hours - a fair few took up the redundancy offers and some took the new contracts which were 5 days a week at 4 hours per day - the old contracts were 4 days a week at 5 hours a day.

Pieta have different levels of pay structure depending on whether you are "employed" ie salaried regardless of whether your clients show up or not.
    This is 27k per year for a maximum of 20 hours per week. Not as bad as some people are making it out to be as most of their therapists then have private clients as well.

The 25 per hour and 15 per assessment refers to "sessional" therapists - not employed but work as required.

They get 25 an hour but they have to arrange their own taxes and invoice Pieta every month for their services. They get paid 15 for an assessment which is around 20-30 minutes long.

However sessional therapists don't get full payment if a client doesn't show up - they usually get a set figure - Last time I checked it was 10.00 per cancellation.

A friend that worked there was actually making more as a sessional therapist than if they were employed as they may have been asked to work more hours / more anti-social hours than the employed therapists. But it wasn't guaranteed work and could stop with no notice.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

mazcon wrote: »
    The problem in Ireland is that counselling and therapy is unregulated so anyone can operate as a counselor even if they have little or no training. Hopefully CORU registration isn't too far off to regulate the sector.

To be accredited now you need to have a Level 9 Fetac qualification.And you cant be insured unless you are accredited so its kind of pointless trying to open a practice without accreditation now.
    The CORU regulations will allow for those qualified and practicing for the last few years in a professional environment - a grandfather clause so to speak but going forward it will be degree level to become a counsellor.

You got it right PIETA HELPS PEOPLE
    I had a look at Elaine Austin's linkedin and it doesn't seem to suggest she's working as a therapist as well as a CEO?
    Can you or Keyzer let me know where you're getting your information on such?

Otherwise, why are you linking her role with that of therapists working with clients as if they're the same thing?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I had a look at Elaine Austin's linkedin and it doesn't seem to suggest she's working as a therapist as well as a CEO?
    Can you or Keyzer let me know where you're getting your information on such?

Otherwise, why are you linking her role with that of therapists working with clients as if they're the same thing?!

I don't really follow what you're talking about...

What information are you referring to?

Keyzer wrote: »
    I don't really follow what you're talking about...

What information are you referring to?
    You're conflating therapists in Pieta with the CEO, and using the justification that therapists help people in need as a defense to questioning the role of the CEO/their pay.

Why are you doing that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

You're conflating therapists in Pieta with the CEO, and using the justification that therapists help people in need as a defense to questioning the role of the CEO/their pay.

Why are you doing that?

I responded to someone who said the CEO role of charity organisations should be voluntary/paid significantly less than the current CEO is paid. I disagreed as this view because, in my opinion, the view is ridiculous.

I didn't make any reference to therapists other than stating Pieta help people who are feeling suicidal after someone else made a smart remark.

I don't know if Pieta is being run properly but, at the moment, there are no indications that its not. Perhaps this might change in the future.

But if you want an organisation like Pieta to be run properly then you need a strong management team and you're not going to get that for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

OP is right this is a travesty

CEO of such an important organisation should definitely be earning more

Advertisement