Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Anyone for another go at Sakhir Outer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,846 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Anyone for another go at Sakhir Outer?
    *puts hand up*

Has Vettel not just got the fear?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,336 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Has Vettel not just got the fear?

Abit young but its very possible.
    Once you get the fear, its time to go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

Each driver is different. But Vettel now has 3 kids, this is undoubtedly to the forefront of his mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Or maybe he's just a driver who can't adapt his driving style to the car and is only fast when the car suits him. After all, this isn't his first dip in form https://adamcooperf1.com/2014/06/03/adrian-newey-seb-has-a-very-particular-way-of-driving/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Not sure if this one has been posted yet :pac:

https://whendidmazepinspin.com/

I always like to look at what helmets the drivers use, but this one that Jacky Ickx used is unusual:

ouq6mxftxb861.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Why do you guys think six engine people have jumped the merc ship?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Hijpo wrote: »

From reading up on it Red Bull tried to poach 100 and got 15 by offering huge money, at least according to Toto.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wolff-red-bull-approached-100-mercedes-engine-staff/6504258/

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    From reading up on it Red Bull tried to poach 100 and got 15 by offering huge money, at least according to Toto.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wolff-red-bull-approached-100-mercedes-engine-staff/6504258/

If that's the case they have to be reducing their spends in other areas to free up the huge amount of money being invested in engines. From the purchase of Hondas stuff to building and kitting out the new engine plant and offering big money salaries to a bunch of engineers which is a reoccurring yearly cost. They would want to be doing a merc job on F1 for the next 17 years.

If that's the case they have to be reducing their spends in other areas to free up the huge amount of money being invested in engines. From the purchase of Hondas stuff to building and kitting out the new engine plant and offering big money salaries to a bunch of engineers which is a reoccurring yearly cost. They would want to be doing a merc job on F1 for the next 17 years.

The budget cap means they have plenty to spend on engines.

The budget cap means they have plenty to spend on engines.

Argh there's so much to remember!

Aye Engines and Car Development are not linked in the Budget Caps, who knows why ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I always like to look at what helmets the drivers use, but this one that Jacky Ickx used is unusual:

ouq6mxftxb861.jpg

Same as myself.

Bell seem to be the popular one this year, Arai not so much anymore and then we have Schuberth and Stilo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just seen this,

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/sport/630971/up-and-coming-offaly-racing-driver-signed-by-major-motor-group.html

Good to see. I wonder what his chances of getting to F1 are?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

AMKC wrote: »
    Just seen this,

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/sport/630971/up-and-coming-offaly-racing-driver-signed-by-major-motor-group.html

Good to see. I wonder what his chances of getting to F1 are?
    He had a great start to his car racing career: https://motorsport.ie/2021/05/08/dunne-impresses-with-pole-podium-on-his-f4-debut-at-spa/

He was also interviewed on Midweek Motorsport on Radio Le Mans a few weeks ago. Seems like a sensible kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Harika

New challenge, career progression, money, shorter commute .... The usual

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If we're going to start drawing some initial conclusions about how drivers are doing vs teammates, now is probably a good time to start.

Hamilton doing great vs bottas but bottas doing OK.
    Max hammering perez the say he hammered his last 2 teammates.
    Noris generally much faster than Ric but today was a reversal.
    Leclerc ahead of Sainz but sainz doing OK.
    Ocon well ahead of alonso,
    Stroll well ahead of vettel,
    Gasley well ahead of tsunoda.
    Gio and kimi pretty close. Good performance form both at different races. Kimi was strong today.
    Russell well ahead of latifi especially in quali, but latifi has had better race pace in some instances.
    Schumacher is a normal rookie and mazepin might not be f1 standard at all.

Tsunoda was way over hyped when he topped pre season testing and had a strong q2 at the first race. Hasn't actually qualified or raced consistently well at all. I don't mean to write him off, he should just be treated like a normal rookie and given time to settle in before he's judged a good or bad rookie. Mazepin on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭barryribs

Mercedes still look like they have phenomenal pace and Red Bull have the same problem they had for the last few years, in that the second car can't keep the Mercedes honest.

Alpine's pace is a little strange, they seem to have windows in each race where the pace looks good but, particularly on fresh tyres they can't match the teams around them. Ocon doing very well for them, I'm surprised that he looked so comfortably ahead of Alonso in almost every session.

Mazepin has no business on the grid, I'll be shocked if he's not suspended by the mid point of the season. Schumacher driving well, showing good maturity behind the wheel for a rookie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Perez out qualifyied Max on merit in Imola don't forget, and has kept 4th locked out up until today.
    Theory. If Vettel decides to leave at the end of the season, Bottas will be top of Aston Martins wishlist.

flazio wrote: »
    Perez out qualifyied Max on merit in Imola don't forget, and has kept 4th locked out up until today.
    Theory. If Vettel decides to leave at the end of the season, Bottas will be top of Aston Martins wishlist.

I don't think that's accurate. He qualified poorly in the first race, then reliability ruined his race. And he was 9 tenths off poll yesterday. 8 tenths off max. That's what Albon and gasley were fired for doing.

I don't think that's accurate. He qualified poorly in the first race, then reliability ruined his race. And he was 9 tenths off poll yesterday. 8 tenths off max. That's what Albon and gasley were fired for doing.

He needs to be given more time, but it's not looking promising soo far, it's looking like Gasly, Albon 3.0. I hope not, as I really like Checho, and he has always seemed to be one of the better drivers on the grid.

He needs to be given more time, but it's not looking promising soo far, it's looking like Gasly, Albon 3.0. I hope not, as I really like Checho, and he has always seemed to be one of the better drivers on the grid.

Certainly has the drive and talent to make moves and pass cars. His drive in Sahkir was unreal. Is the red bull better than the pink Mercedes? You would think so.
    Max was on the radio saying the Merc had incredible grip, I guess the red bull has a bit less than optimal grip, probably has drivers a bit less confident in the car.

Vettel has had an awful start to the season so far, probably one of the worst in his F1 career. Hopefully he will bounce back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭klose

If perez can't do what redbull are looking for as a number two then they need to seriously change up what they're doing with the car, are they going to get a better more experienced second driver to replace him? I don't think so. If there hopes is tsunoda he's off to a particularly rotten start to his career Bahrain aside. I'd give him another while yet. Of course the big hope is next season shakes up the grid with new regs but who knows how that will go.

I'm not trying to pre-empt the end result of the season, I'm only taking stock of what we've seen so far. He will be given more time. He's not a Red Bull junior driver who can be hired and fired at will. They would have to pay his contract and lose his sponsorship money, and i can't see anyone they could drop into the car mid season. He'll get the full season to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Santan

I can't see him being replaced during the season as outlined above, and also as there is not someone really available to replace him with. But if Perez can't improve during the season, then God red bull really need to look at themselves, Perez is not some junior promoted too soon, he has years of experience and has beaten so many teammates and outperformed his car on a few occasions, even if he is not kept on for next year I don't think he will be to blame, he has a lot of credit in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,336 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Are we looking at something like the schumacher situation where he liked the car on the nose and was happy to live with what the rear was doing and could handle more extremes of this that team mates.
    I dont see redbull taking the car in a direction that doesnt suit verstappen even though a stromg no 2 would be a big benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What are we looking for in a team mate for Verstappen? Someone who will regularly beat Hamilton into 3rd and deliver consistent 1-2 finishes for Red Bull?
    I don't think there's a single driver anywhere in motorsport capable of doing that. Not even Alonso.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement