Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl e-scooter this week

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lidl in Arklow has 2 different models,esa 800 (€229) and a ewa 6000 (€279),Reading a few reviews on the ewa 6000 model and it says it isn't waterproof, can't even be used in a shower of rain.Was going to purchase that model but that has put me of big time,am looking at getting the aovopro m365 pro from adverts now.Anybody have any info on that particular model,chap in Blackrock is selling them €260.

How can a scooter not be waterproof....that's a bigge for most people in Ireland no?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

How can a scooter not be waterproof....that's a bigge for most people in Ireland no?

No, it's usual to have to waterproof these.. but saying that I haven't had any issues with mine.

I wouldn't use it if it was raining though, but I have been caught out in the rain and it's been fine. It just kicks up sh1tloads of street crap.

The mudguards are useless and that's the main reason I avoid the wet ground. The wheels actually fire it up as high as your head and all down your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irishvillian

It's because of having the battery under where you stand,is there a flap that you lift up on the ewa 6000 so you can take the battery out to charge instead of plugging it into the actual scooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irishvillian

mrcheez wrote: »
    This is the model I have, the ESA 800

https://www.reddit.com/r/ElectricScooters/comments/hoofbb/doc_green_esa_800_i_bought_this_yesterday_from/

(that post actually talks more about the service menu options)

I've used my ESA 800 in rain and puddles no problems .. just bear in mind the range is around 5-6km once the battery settles to it's typical level (i.e. handy for nipping to gym or the local shops), but might be too short to go to work on

Yeah the ESA 800 has a solid foot plate.

Yeah the ESA 800 has a solid foot plate.

I've even done small ollies on it, jumping over pot holes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Sorry - is this a deal again or are we just still thinking about them??

Watched video on ‘tests’ - apparently figures for distance & speed are based on ‘optimal conditions’ - flat surfaces, dry, low humidity, no rain and aprix 75kg! Deviations mean less speed/ power/ distance etc.

Personally I think I’d prefer a lazy electric bike - better suspension, less tightrope balancing over Irish potholes and somewhere to sit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Sorry - is this a deal again or are we just still thinking about them??

Watched video on ‘tests’ - apparently figures for distance & speed are based on ‘optimal conditions’ - flat surfaces, dry, low humidity, no rain and aprix 75kg! Deviations mean less speed/ power/ distance etc.

Personally I think I’d prefer a lazy electric bike - better suspension, less tightrope balancing over Irish potholes and somewhere to sit.

They were back on sale Monday last.

Agreed but very different price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

How do people lock up electric scooters? Is it just the same lock as a bike? I feel like I see loads of people going on them but never any locked on bike racks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They will have varying IP ratings (water ingress protection).

There was discussion about good ones in this thread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116218651

• Advertisement

How do people lock up electric scooters? Is it just the same lock as a bike? I feel like I see loads of people going on them but never any locked on bike racks.

Most people just carry them into the shops, or stuff it under their desk at work

One of advantages of these over e-bikes is the portability factor. Great to just throw in the boot on a camping trip for example and you can take quick tours of your area when you arrive.

I tend to throw mine in a bin bag to keep the boot tidy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

Has the Push Scooters come in today?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Don't forget to use your lidl plus, got 50c off mine the other day ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Don't forget to use your lidl plus, got 50c off mine the other day ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Coincidentally Lidl had just launched Plus when I got my ESA 800 last year and I was able to use the €10 off... nice!

(or was it €5 off?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Was just going to say that... that's how I knew kph was possible.

Take a screenshot of your screen when you turn on the scooter and it flashes all the menu items and you'll see what's available.

The only way I found out about the hidden menu was by contacting Lidl support.
    Oh I know it's supported, you can see it when switching the thing on. It's just a question of whether it can be switched by the user with disassembling something. The only controls are the power button (which also controls lights and "eco mode"), and the electric brake and accelerator paddles. Holding either of those on startup just makes the display do a kind of "alright stop that" animation until you let go.

No response from support so far so I'll probably return it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,272 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

zynaps wrote: »
    I had a look already before posting and the only information I could find on YouTube was German reviews of the scooter, one of whom told me there is no such configuration on the new model. In the meantime I've emailed the manufacturer to ask. If it's not possible then I'll return the scooter, but I'll post back here with an update either way.
    Divide by 5 and multiply by 8

It’s not hard to convert the speed reading. Are you seriously going to return a scooter over this? What a total waste given that it’s probably going to be thrown into landfill

Akrasia wrote: »

It’s not hard to convert the speed reading. Are you seriously going to return a scooter over this? What a total waste given that it’s probably going to be thrown into landfill

Some people are idiots

Oh I know it's supported, you can see it when switching the thing on. It's just a question of whether it can be switched by the user with disassembling something. The only controls are the power button (which also controls lights and "eco mode"), and the electric brake and accelerator paddles. Holding either of those on startup just makes the display do a kind of "alright stop that" animation until you let go.

No response from support so far so I'll probably return it next week.

Just hum Rule Britannia and scoot away in mph

Certainly wouldn't send it back for not being metric :)

Yeah I seriously returned the scooter, and it's nothing to do with being unable to convert the numbers. If I bought a car and it came with a speedo in miles per hour I'd return that too, it'd annoy me every time I looked at it.

Do you think they'd throw the car in landfill? Of course not, and the same for the scooter.

• Site Banned Posts: 36 Mr.Sir

Use your phone and maps will show your speed. What is top speed in them?

• Advertisement

Some people are idiots

Reported. I don't mind if you disagree with my decision to return a scooter, but I take exception to being called an idiot.

• Site Banned Posts: 36 Mr.Sir

Reported. I don't mind if you disagree with my decision to return a scooter, but I take exception to being called an idiot.

To be fair that poster didn’t.

Mr.Sir wrote: »
    To be fair that poster didn’t.

I can't see how you could possibly draw that conclusion.

Yeah I seriously returned the scooter, and it's nothing to do with being unable to convert the numbers. If I bought a car and it came with a speedo in miles per hour I'd return that too, it'd annoy me every time I looked at it.

Do you think they'd throw the car in landfill? Of course not, and the same for the scooter.

The thing is, these only really go to a certain max speed before a limiter cuts in.
    Even when going downhill.

On mine, this is 25 kph, or it showed 15 mph for a few weeks until I figured out how to change it.
    Even when it was in mph I was fine as I knew it meant it was 25 kph.

You go this speed whenever cruising so you generally only need to know this single value (and whatever the conversion is).

You go this speed whenever cruising so you generally only need to know this single value (and whatever the conversion is).
    I know, and you're right, it just annoys me to see the wrong units. Sort of like if I buy a new car with a scratch on the paintwork, it would bug me every time I used it.

I'm not saying it's a bad scooter or unusable, it felt ok in my one ride round the block, although I'm not totally sold on having the battery down in the footplate, or the waterproofing situation.

BTW according to the box, the speed limit is 23 km/h, although it reported 16 mph to me which is just under 26 km/h. I presume one of the numbers is a bit of a fudge, but I did read in the reviews of the German model that it's limited to 20 or so. This might be why the Irish models are shipped in UK configuration -- there's probably a dipswitch somewhere that sets it to UK/EU mode, and it might actually affect the max speed to meet German regulations.

I'm not saying it's a bad scooter or unusable, it felt ok in my one ride round the block, although I'm not totally sold on having the battery down in the footplate, or the waterproofing situation.

I think all scooters have the battery in the footplate, but if the scooter isn't splash proofed I can see this being a bigger concern.

This is the ESA 5000 is it?

I think all scooters have the battery in the footplate, but if the scooter isn't splash proofed I can see this being a bigger concern.

This is the ESA 5000 is it?

6000. TBH I don't have any real basis for comparison; I tried a Xiaomi M365 a year or two ago and it was pretty nice, so I assumed this would be the same dealio. Obviously it's cheaper so fair enough, but still you'd expect to get a response after emailing the support contact (KSR Group). They replied to ask what the model number was, despite that it was in the first message I sent them... I gave it to them again anyway, and they didn't answer.

One other thing to watch out for if you're buying this model -- the stem folding catch is really stiff (which is a good thing), and has a plastic locking ring that felt a bit flimsy, so make sure to slide it out of the way properly before trying to open the catch.

the stem folding catch is really stiff

Might be similar to the ESA 800... I find with that you need to push the bar forward when unlatching the catch (usually just push my shoulder into the stem and keeping my foot on the board, while pushing open the latch)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,272 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

They wouldn't throw the car into landfill because they'd easily sell a 2nd hand car to someone who can convert the speeds. They will throw a €300 scooter into landfill because it would cost them more than it's worth to take it back, repackage it, re-inspect it, and then sell it as a discount as a used item

I have 2 cars in my household, one is in KPH, the other is in MPH.I have never even once felt like the MPH one was an issue, the conversion is very very simple

• Advertisement

They will throw a €300 scooter into landfill because it would cost them more than it's worth to take it back, repackage it, re-inspect it, and then sell it as a discount as a used item
    You can keep asserting that but I don't agree.
    I have 2 cars in my household, one is in KPH, the other is in MPH.I have never even once felt like the MPH one was an issue, the conversion is very very simple
    Nobody ever said the conversion was difficult. I bought a scooter that wasn't configured for the Irish market, and I brought it back, the end. If you would be happy with keeping it then that's great, but why do you keep bringing the same thing up?

Advertisement