Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

BarryM wrote: »
    "Bikes don't need insurance"

Maybe don't need, but...... on the road, their legal place?? Not me.

Can you get a quote for bike on the road, any info? or can you get cover on your house policy or something? If you are on the path, with insurance cover.... and are fined.... then what?

Just wondering.

Cycling forum would be best for that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Xiaomi m365 and ninebot max. Both capped at 25 km/h, can reach up to 30 going downhill. There are very few scooters in I've seen in Dublin that go more than 25-30. They all disable acceleration at 25 and protectively break before going above 30.
    I have seen plenty well above 25km/h. I have a speedo on my bike so easily notice it. Many of these can easily have their firmware updated to increase or disable the limits, my friends young lad did it himself.
    Alkers wrote: »
    Do people think prices will go up or down once they are legalised?
    Hopefully down, there is free competition and shops should be selling more so get a better price themselves.
    Alkers wrote: »
    What will be the legality of having a couple of beers and going for a scoot?
    I guess similar to bicycles
    https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/drunk-cycling-longford-court/
    AhHaor wrote: »
    I never leave it locked outside as they're just too easy to steal.
    Have any got a design that allows for decent locking. Like if it had a hole throught the middle of it then it would be like a bicycle where you could loop a chain or U lock through it.
    He's 100% right. Should be the same rules as a bicycle.
    ebikes need continuous assistance, so it will be interesting to see if they remove the need for that. If they do would they include throttled bicycles on the "cycle to work" scheme, and would escooters possibly be added.

EDIT, just saw this one. I would want a lock at the top to stop people vandalising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,457 ✭✭✭✭ted1

"Bikes don't need insurance"

Maybe don't need, but...... on the road, their legal place?? Not me.

Can you get a quote for bike on the road, any info? or can you get cover on your house policy or something? If you are on the path, with insurance cover.... and are fined.... then what?

Just wondering.

Included for free with all cycling Ireland membership.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/membership/insurance

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Back to e-scooters ...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/12185-government-approves-next-steps-for-escooter-and-ebike-legislation/
    The Minister is proposing to create a new vehicle category which will be known as ‘Powered Personal Transporters’ (PPTs) and will include escooters and similar devises. The proposed legislation will allow escooters to be used legally in a public place and will also address standards to be met by PPTs in the interests of safety. Tax, insurance and driving licenses will not be required. As the intention is to legalise the use of PPTs in a public place, they will now be regulated as to how and where they may be used.

So to answer some questions, legalised for use in public here and no need for tax, insurance or driving license.

There are also some changes coming to the legislation of ebikes.

BTW as an aside, the government never went ahead with fixed penalty for cycling on footpaths, the idea was scrapped after it was pointed out various issues with it, children on bikes, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

On Monday night in Dublin city I was within and inch of getting knocked down by a lad on the footpath, oy I seen him out of the corner of my eye, we would have bought been on the ground, he continued on at speed across the road and on path the other side.

That sort of riding should have a huge fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There is specific fixed charge...Riding a bicycle without reasonable consideration.

rubadub wrote: »
    I have seen plenty well above 25km/h. I have a speedo on my bike so easily notice it. Many of these can easily have their firmware updated to increase or disable the limits, my friends young lad did it himself.

Hopefully down, there is free competition and shops should be selling more so get a better price themselves.

I guess similar to bicycles
    https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/drunk-cycling-longford-court/

Have any got a design that allows for decent locking. Like if it had a hole throught the middle of it then it would be like a bicycle where you could loop a chain or U lock through it.

ebikes need continuous assistance, so it will be interesting to see if they remove the need for that. If they do would they include throttled bicycles on the "cycle to work" scheme, and would escooters possibly be added.

EDIT, just saw this one. I would want a lock at the top to stop people vandalising it.

They can just use an angle grinder to get through any lock in seconds regardless of what you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

beauf wrote: »
    They can just use an angle grinder to get through any lock in seconds regardless of what you use.

The worrying part could be the value of batteries and motors , ( your scooter could be secured , but the parts removed )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

It still is better than nothing, the average scumbag with a lidl grinder would not get through my locks with a single disc, even if he had spare discs and a spare battery they would have to spend more money to get my ebike going again than they would get selling it (i.e. new battery and new computer). A good u lock will require 2 cuts as they will not rotate if cut once.

They would be cycling off on it at a snails pace with no power, other bikes would be far more attractive, you just lock yours near a better one with a worse chain.

I would want a scooter with easily removable battery for that reason too. And removable computer system.

• Advertisement

It still is better than nothing, the average scumbag with a lidl grinder would not get through my locks with a single disc,....

Often they just cut the bike stand or pole its attached to. Often just soft metal. Sometimes they loosen the bolts of the stand or pole to the ground/wall. Just come back and unbolt. Just through it all into a van and they are gone in a minute.
    .... they would have to spend more money to get my ebike going again than they would get selling it (i.e. new battery and new computer). A good u lock will require 2 cuts as they will not rotate if cut once.

They would be cycling off on it at a snails pace with no power, other bikes would be far more attractive, you just lock yours near a better one with a worse chain.

I would want a scooter with easily removable battery for that reason too. And removable computer system.

They are general stealing stuff because they can. Not because they have any great plan. If they can't sell it, they'll just dump it. They don't care.

The majority of bikes are not locked, or not locked properly. That and not following up the thefts, (they are often obvious online sales) just encourages them.

It still is better than nothing, .... you just lock yours near a better one with a worse chain..

This I agree with.

Its like the two guy being chased by a lion. One shouts, we'll never out run it. The other guy says, I don't have to, I just have to outrun you.

eScooter are fairly bulky. They need to rethink how they fold.

I can store my folding bike in space that an eScooter won't fit.

I heard that some guys in places like NY don't spend much on bikes because they know they will just get stolen. So they just plan around going through 2-3 bikes a year. Thus don't spend much on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

liamog wrote: »
    Mod Note: Back to e-scooters ...

OK, sorry but an e-bike is not a bike? it certainly isn't a scooter....;)

bk wrote: »
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/12185-government-approves-next-steps-for-escooter-and-ebike-legislation/

So to answer some questions, legalised for use in public here and no need for tax, insurance or driving license.

Should that not be 'will be legalised' or is it already legal?

No insurance???? FFS

if it were me I'd get the most popular make and model of eScooter, because there will be no issue with supply of parts, and repairs.

Should that not be 'will be legalised' or is it already legal?

No insurance???? FFS

Yes its still not legal.

No insurance???? FFS
    were you expecting a requirement for insurance? had there been much talk of it?

Are there many countries require insurance where it is currently legal to use say a standard XIAOMI M365 limited to 25km/h that require insurance?

Obviously high speed or high power ones might.

And I am obviously not looking for a smart-ass answer like "yes, in Ireland you currently need insurance to legally use one".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

• Legislation for the use of escooters

The Minister is proposing to create a new vehicle category which will be known as ‘Powered Personal Transporters’ (PPTs) and will include escooters and similar devises. The proposed legislation will allow escooters to be used legally in a public place and will also address standards to be met by PPTs in the interests of safety. Tax, insurance and driving licenses will not be required. As the intention is to legalise the use of PPTs in a public place, they will now be regulated as to how and where they may be used.

• Legislation relating to ebikes

Under current Irish law, ebikes are not classed as ‘mechanically propelled vehicles’ (MPVs) or as pedal bicycles. Ebikes will now be legislated for using EU standards as a reference point and will be treated mainly in the same way as pedal cycles while the more powerful models of eBike will be treated as light mopeds.

Relevant quotes from the gov.ie page, personally I'm hoping this results in legalising of e-skateboards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Relevant quotes from the gov.ie page, personally I'm hoping this results in legalising of e-skateboards!

How would you throttle up on an e-board?

• Advertisement

They usually come with a wireless hand controller Boosted are a good example.

They have a hand controller usually wireless. Though there are some which simply boost your effort.

Are there many countries require insurance where it is currently legal to use say a standard XIAOMI M365 limited to 25km/h that require insurance?

Obviously high speed or high power ones might.

And I am obviously not looking for a smart-ass answer like "yes, in Ireland you currently need insurance to legally use one".

Some do yes. But it varies. some have different classification for types of e Bikes and types of scooters. You'd need to research it.

Some do yes. But it varies. some have different classification for types of e Bikes and types of scooters. You'd need to research it.

Most of the countries that expect insurance, also offer a more general personal liability insurance that is low cost and protects you. We don't really have that kind of system here.

In my experience in many countries there is 'personal' insurance attached to your policy, house or civil liability, etc. That has cover for things happening to someone else that is your 'fault' I had that on the continent which covered ice falling off your roof and on to someone or their car, etc., for example. Most countries don't have 'loose stones on the pavement' stuff applied to the corpo...., but have personal liability cover. A friend of mine was surprised to discover that someone who slipped in his garden as covered.

I am not sure if household policies here cover personal liability, must look.

Note to mod "replying to 'no insce' requirement in new legl.

Most of the countries that expect insurance,

I did have a quick search before posting that and found none.

To make it a bit more clear, in saying
    And I am obviously not looking for a smart-ass answer like "yes, in Ireland you currently need insurance to legally use one"

I meant -are there any countries who in very recent years have updated/introduced regulations for low power, low speed scooters, the likes of an unmodified M365, with the definite aim of encouraging escooter use, who have insisted on insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

Has anyone here experienced water damage problems with ipx4 rated scooters. Is this just a convenient rating for companies to avoid warranty issues or do they really damage easily.? I'm talking riding in rain now and not going through big puddles as that is obviously going to cause problems.

I'm on the lookout for something as waterproof as possible without going into the premium range that I've seen mentioned in this thread. Had my eye on the Pure but cant seem to find Irish stockist and don't want to be stung with UK import.

I also notice some of the cheaper Xiaomi lookalikes claiming to be ipx5 or 6 but I'm a bit sceptical of these and cant find reviews to back it up, anyone any experience of any of these brands..? TIA....

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

The M365 has a hole about 30cm up the front stem. This is to allow cabling from battery and control unit up to handle bars. The hole has a piece of plastic on it and you could further waterproof it.

If water got down the hole it'll likely accumulate and potentially cause corrosion. There's no way water will ingress from the base as that's a good seal.

Heavy rain will likely result in some water getting in, but unlikely to do major damage. These things are all over Asia and they have a wet enough climate out there.

I did have a quick search before posting that and found none.

To make it a bit more clear, in saying

I meant -are there any countries who in very recent years have updated/introduced regulations for low power, low speed scooters, the likes of an unmodified M365, with the definite aim of encouraging escooter use, who have insisted on insurance.

Germany..
    Personal Light Electric Vehicles are motor vehicles and thus have to be insured. Due to their small size and special design features, a small insurance sticker has been introduced for these vehicles.
    From June 2019, E-scooters in Germany are required to be insured through the purchase of an annual insurance sticker that must be displayed on the vehicle (similarly to mopeds and high-speed electric bikes (45 km/h))

• Advertisement

mgray wrote: »
    Has anyone here experienced water damage problems with ipx4 rated scooters. Is this just a convenient rating for companies to avoid warranty issues or do they really damage easily.? I'm talking riding in rain now and not going through big puddles as that is obviously going to cause problems.

I'm on the lookout for something as waterproof as possible without going into the premium range that I've seen mentioned in this thread. Had my eye on the Pure but cant seem to find Irish stockist and don't want to be stung with UK import.

I also notice some of the cheaper Xiaomi lookalikes claiming to be ipx5 or 6 but I'm a bit sceptical of these and cant find reviews to back it up, anyone any experience of any of these brands..? TIA....

I think you'd have to take water proof scooters with a pinch of salt.

https://escooterrider.com/waterproofing-xiaomi-m365-you-must-do-this/
    https://escooternerds.com/how-to-waterproof-electric-scooter/

Advertisement