Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl e-scooter this week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Just in Navan 11 left.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paruss100

Gumbo wrote: »
    You’re right.
    This one appears different as it had a hand rear brake and increased range alright.

The previous one was a Doc Green ESA800 Model.

It is the EWA6000 model however is a little different to the catalog photo, seems to have the light embed in the stem as opposed to it protruding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Sold out already in Artane.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Setanter

Four available in Castleknock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

There was a big stack in Greenhills road last night by the tills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Big Daddy Kane

Are these worth getting? Anyone have it set up and can give a review?

Is it suitable for adults? Any issues etc..

Cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Are these worth getting? Anyone have it set up and can give a review?

Is it suitable for adults? Any issues etc..

Cheers:)

I think this is an upgraded version of the one I got last year.

Yes suitable for adults... yes worth getting, very handy to get around where you don't want hassle of driving/parking the car.

Only issue is battery/distance might drop to around 75% after a few months.. but it seems to maintain this for a year now anyway.

I picked one up in Lidl Coolock and tested it today. Very easy to use, the electric braking is surprisingly good so I didn't really need to use the rear disc brake.

Some downsides so far are:

1. No indicators. I couldn't figure out how to ride one-handed and signal like when cycling, so a switch activated indicator would help signal my intention. You can get some mountable ones on eBay but it would be nice to have them as standard.

2. Hard to look over your shoulder. This is just a general thing with scooters and I presume you get good at it after a while.

3. Still technically illegal to ride in public. This affects all e-scooters until legislation is written which apparently won't happen until maybe 2022. So in theory you could be stopped and deprived of your scooter by the Gardaí while riding, no matter how much you try to argue that it's safer and more sustainable than driving a car. Oh well.

4. Speedometer is in miles per hour!! This is actually really annoying and I didn't see it mentioned in the manual, but I'll check again. If anyone knows how to switch this to km/h, please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Big Daddy Kane

zynaps wrote: »
    I picked one up in Lidl Coolock and tested it today. Very easy to use, the electric braking is surprisingly good so I didn't really need to use the rear disc brake.

Some downsides so far are:

1. No indicators. I couldn't figure out how to ride one-handed and signal like when cycling, so a switch activated indicator would help signal my intention. You can get some mountable ones on eBay but it would be nice to have them as standard.

2. Hard to look over your shoulder. This is just a general thing with scooters and I presume you get good at it after a while.

3. Still technically illegal to ride in public. This affects all e-scooters until legislation is written which apparently won't happen until maybe 2022. So in theory you could be stopped and deprived of your scooter by the Gardaí while riding, no matter how much you try to argue that it's safer and more sustainable than driving a car. Oh well.

4. Speedometer is in miles per hour!! This is actually really annoying and I didn't see it mentioned in the manual, but I'll check again. If anyone knows how to switch this to km/h, please let me know.

Cheers for this, is it foldable and does it weigh a lot? If you had a pic of it be welcome:)

Hoping to purchase one asap

Cheers for this, is it foldable and does it weigh a lot? If you had a pic of it be welcome:)

Hoping to purchase one asap

Mine is the older model so not sure what size of this one is when folded...

• Advertisement

For these, you'll get better very quickly, similar to riding a bike. I can ride mine with one hand out to indicate, although to be honest it's best just to always look over your shoulder at regular intervals and only turn when it's clear.

There is a technicality in the law where it specifically requires licenses for self-propelled vehicles (or something similar), but these ones require a manual start to push off until the automatic start kicks in, so technically they fall out of this category.

But yes, best play it safe when you see a Gard around, and jump off and walk the scooter till the coast is clear (or till 2022 whichever is sooner) :D

There's a menu... took me ages to find.

- Hold the + and - buttons for a few seconds until P0 appears
    - Press the light button until P1 appears
    - Press - until 00 appears (or the display shows kph)
    - Hold + and - for a few seconds to exit

bit cryptic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

What about tax and insurance?
    I read about a court case last week in Clare where a man had the scooter seized by Gardai and subsequently destroyed as he could not pay to have it released from pound.
    Judge said all mechanically propelled vehicles on the road must be taxed and insured. The defendant's solicitor pleaded that it was not possible to get insurance here, but the judge was having none of it.

https://clarechampion.ie/clare-mans-e-scooter-destroyed-as-he-couldnt-pay-impound-fee/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Cerco wrote: »
    What about tax and insurance?
    I read about a court case last week in Clare where a man had the scooter seized by Gardai and subsequently destroyed as he could not pay to have it released from pound.
    Judge said all mechanically propelled vehicles on the road must be taxed and insured. The defendant's solicitor pleaded that it was not possible to get insurance here, but the judge was having none of it.

https://clarechampion.ie/clare-mans-e-scooter-destroyed-as-he-couldnt-pay-impound-fee/

Both statements are correct.

It is effectively an electric motorcycle, which requires insurance, tax and driving license.

You won't get it taxed in here, while obtaining insurance is challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

mrcheez wrote: »
    For these, you'll get better very quickly, similar to riding a bike. I can ride mine with one hand out to indicate, although to be honest it's best just to always look over your shoulder at regular intervals and only turn when it's clear.

There is a technicality in the law where it specifically requires licenses for self-propelled vehicles (or something similar), but these ones require a manual start to push off until the automatic start kicks in, so technically they fall out of this category.

But yes, best play it safe when you see a Gard around, and jump off and walk the scooter till the coast is clear (or till 2022 whichever is sooner) :D

There's a menu... took me ages to find.

- Hold the + and - buttons for a few seconds until P0 appears
    - Press the light button until P1 appears
    - Press - until 00 appears (or the display shows kph)
    - Hold + and - for a few seconds to exit

bit cryptic
    What are you referring to with the + and -. There seems to only be one button

Beersmith wrote: »

Ok that was on my model...you'll need to contact Lidl in that case and they'll send you instructions.

Sorry I assumed all the models had similar buttons.

Try a long press of the single button and see if a menu appears.
    Is there a light button?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Dumb question, was there a Q for these yesterday? Whilst not the same the folding bikes a while back lasted a few days...

Didn't get one, was sitting on the fence and am probably too late now.

Dumb question, was there a Q for these yesterday? Whilst not the same the folding bikes a while back lasted a few days...

Didn't get one, was sitting on the fence and am probably too late now.

Didn’t see a queue was about 10 left when I arrived about 11 am Monday, hard to know if any left.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Get the model number and check you tube how to access the hidden menu.

On the older versions which we bought last year in middle, the + and - buttons for you into it (EAS800 Model).

In the hidden menu you can swap between mph and kmph. Also activate cruise control.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Get the model number and check you tube how to access the hidden menu.

On the older versions which we bought last year in middle, the + and - buttons for you into it (EAS800 Model).

In the hidden menu you can swap between mph and kmph. Also activate cruise control.
    I had a look already before posting and the only information I could find on YouTube was German reviews of the scooter, one of whom told me there is no such configuration on the new model. In the meantime I've emailed the manufacturer to ask. If it's not possible then I'll return the scooter, but I'll post back here with an update either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Only 1 button alright. Defo km is possible as the light on the menu shows on start up

• Advertisement

Defo km is possible as the light on the menu shows on start up

Was just going to say that... that's how I knew kph was possible.

Take a screenshot of your screen when you turn on the scooter and it flashes all the menu items and you'll see what's available.

The only way I found out about the hidden menu was by contacting Lidl support.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irishvillian

What's the model no of this scooter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

3 in Lidl Newbridge about 2 hours ago down by the milk if anyone interested. €280

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There is no such technicality.

It's a blatant lie spread by sellers of kit that isn't road or path legal. If speed was limited to waking pace then they might be covered by existing electric wheelchair legislation otherwise these can't be used in a public place.

Was just going to say that... that's how I knew kph was possible.

Take a screenshot of your screen when you turn on the scooter and it flashes all the menu items and you'll see what's available.

The only way I found out about the hidden menu was by contacting Lidl support.

Iv tried holding brakes, accelerators all in different combinations but not been able to bring up this menu. Hopefully changing it to KM wouldn’t reduce it to the German speed limit of 20k.

paruss100 wrote: »
    Iv tried holding brakes, accelerators all in different combinations but not been able to bring up this menu. Hopefully changing it to KM wouldn’t reduce it to the German speed limit of 20k.

nah the max speed remains the same

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irishvillian

Lidl in Arklow has 2 different models,esa 800 (€229) and a ewa 6000 (€279),Reading a few reviews on the ewa 6000 model and it says it isn't waterproof, can't even be used in a shower of rain.Was going to purchase that model but that has put me of big time,am looking at getting the aovopro m365 pro from adverts now.Anybody have any info on that particular model,chap in Blackrock is selling them €260.

Quite surprised these aren't up on the website Special Offers...

Lidl in Arklow has 2 different models,esa 800 (€229) and a ewa 6000 (€279),Reading a few reviews on the ewa 6000 model and it says it isn't waterproof, can't even be used in a shower of rain.Was going to purchase that model but that has put me of big time,am looking at getting the aovopro m365 pro from adverts now.Anybody have any info on that particular model,chap in Blackrock is selling them €260.

This is the model I have, the ESA 800

https://www.reddit.com/r/ElectricScooters/comments/hoofbb/doc_green_esa_800_i_bought_this_yesterday_from/

(that post actually talks more about the service menu options)

I've used my ESA 800 in rain and puddles no problems .. just bear in mind the range is around 5-6km once the battery settles to it's typical level (i.e. handy for nipping to gym or the local shops), but might be too short to go to work on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

3. Still technically illegal to ride in public. This affects all e-scooters until legislation is written which apparently won't happen until maybe 2022. So in theory you could be stopped and deprived of your scooter by the Gardaí while riding, no matter how much you try to argue that it's safer and more sustainable than driving a car.
    In theory they could throw the book at you, possibly have it called a motorcycle, no helmet, no tax, no insurance, no licence, unroadworthy etc.

Unlikely to happen but I read of some lad being done and sounded like he was mouthing off to the gardai.

Advertisement