Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Like a trophy for the winner.

however if anyone dies, thread should be named after them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

The Mig wrote: »
    I’m willing to take a bribe to make it happen

Next years ante post portfolio?:D

Should be an interesting next race, the 1.35 at Yarmouth.. Rab's on the 10/3 2nd fav, with Oisin on the 2/5 jolly.. Both of them for Johnny G in this 4 runner affair :P When's his '21 day holiday' coming into effect I wonder...

^^^^

And Rab comes 2nd to the well-backed jolly (finished 1/4 - was 8/11 this morning I think).. Rab looked beat about 1 1/2 out, and rallied to make a match of it with the idling favourite; who looked like he could be an easy winner, once he hit the front a furlong or so out... At least The wee Scotsman was trying :pac:

Looks in.

Thread still not named after me.

Leaves forum.

^^^

If Saint Sam and Elimay (good picks those) had won (done them ew myself per your recommendation), then you'd be in with a shout.. Not to be tho :pac: Another year at least for ya to wait :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

^^^

If Saint Sam and Elimay (good picks those) had won (done them ew myself per your recommendation), then you'd be in with a shout.. Not to be tho :pac: Another year at least for ya to wait :P

Slatts cant pick his nose never mind a winner

naughto wrote: »
    Slatts cant pick his nose never mind a winner

Not his fault Mark Walsh gave the race to the winner tbf.. And Colreevy (who undeservedly beat Eli that day) goes in again today at 7s :eek: in a race with two hotpots in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭FiftyP

Jumps season is almost over, and I'm thinking of starting up a new spreasheet to track wins/losses, mostly as a way of keeping track of how much I'm betting (pub bets and accas don't get included, as they're so rare and for funny amounts.)

Considering I might eventually pop it into a database and do some programming hijinks on it (and use my basic self-taught programming skills) what would you think is vital stats to include in the spreadsheet? I take everything from the Racing Post, so it has to be free on there, but what'd you include?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

You can get your profit and loss totals from your online accounts. Surely that's easier?

You can get your profit and loss totals from your online accounts. Surely that's easier?

That's not nerdy enough for me. And what else will I do if I have nothing to fill in between 11am non-runners, and a 2pm off?

This thread still has not been named after me.

I fully expect this post to be deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,644 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Slattsy wrote: »
    This thread still has not been named after me.

I fully expect this post to be deleted.

A travesty of justice!

Is this not a off topic thread

A travesty of justice!

Thanks brother, appreciate your support during this tough time. Hashtag Solidarity.

• Advertisement

Is this not a off topic thread

To be fair it doesn't get more off topic than this :D

What can we talk about in the off topic thread with out posts getting deleted

What can we talk about in the off topic thread with out posts getting deleted

Horses.

Horses.

The 1s in Tesco

The 1s in Tesco

No. Posts will be deleted. Neigh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

Generally speaking, this thread was mostly for any general Horse related topics.

But we decided to change the thread title to make it clear that Any Topic can now be discussed.

Posts won't be deleted for being off topic from now on.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Any further queries, please PM a Mod, cheers.

Thread still not named after to me to reflect my achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ballyhagan

That's a travesty, Slattsy. You deserve to be treated better.

ballyhagan wrote: »
    That's a travesty, Slattsy. You deserve to be treated better.

It's just jealousy at this stage. Bitterness and jealousy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭xlogo

Slattsy wrote:

Might be easier to change your name by deed poll to match the thread title :-))

Still not changed.

Getting ridiculous now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

FYI

"The Curragh Racecourse are delighted to welcome racing fans back for the Dubai Duty Free Irish Derby Day on Saturday 26th June as one of the chosen pilot initiatives for extended capacity at outdoor sporting events.

While we are delighted to be able to welcome back a limited number of 1000 spectators, we appreciate that not everyone will be able to be attend this year and every endeavour has been made to ensure as wide a spread of tickets as possible.

TICKETS WILL GO ON SALE ON MONDAY 14TH JUNE ON WWW.CURRAGH.IE/TICKETS AT 10AM."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Fran Berry is an absolute natural broadcaster. He is a pleasure to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Fran Berry is an absolute natural broadcaster. He is a pleasure to listen to.

Agreed. Love when you can tell he's backed the bollix off one of his selections too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

You can tell he does his work too in terms of research (which should be the case but unfortunately is not always.)

Loved his line recently that a horse had improved for the application of cash. Rare to hear someone say it on air.

Must be cancers that aren't as bad as this new mobile site. Mother of God it is horrendous. The old addage if it's not broken don't fix it springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

I’m struggling with it

There are worse bets than the 66s or 80/1 in a place talking tough 4.15 leop today. Well handicapped, well drawn. And the rain a plus

Yeah, or he gets kicked by a horse and killed. Your choice.

Ugh...just seen post count 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

You will have to buy him a ticket. Out of interest why did you name him after an English cricketer?

Thanks, I am glad you paid some of my friends on your holidays.

You said your dog was Jack Russell?

I see a former poster here has made it to the homepage of the rte news. Impressive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Either a leader of tigrayan forces or a rare white lion cub.

On about Robbie Dunne & Bryony Frost on SSR Racing Debate on Sunday. Complaining about nothing being done; and, as well as that, they were griping about women's changing facilities..

Roll on a day or two, and the Dunne case is impending; plus the saunas are being removed from jockey changing rooms.. Hmm, maybe it's so they can say; "well, no one - not even the male jockeys - has access to saunas anymore, so need to have them in the #female changing rooms..." #that's if the females do get their own changing rooms at the track, and, if they do, it's likely there wouldn't be space, or funds, for saunas in the female jockeys' facilities..

Just an opinion/observation.. the females probably don't need to drop weight much regardless; but, I reckon they'll be getting their own changing rooms, and saunas won't be feasible, from a space/cost benefit perspective..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Original question answered

Post edited by dvcireland on

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

I figured it was about time to link to my blog seeing as I've put it up in a few other places. https://50peachway.wordpress.com/

I have four blog posts up so far, the latest going up this morning about Shishkin v Energumene and how the people who have racing as a job might not have the best views, or the best ability to view racing as it is. A Hole in the Universe - Shiskin v Energumene

The first blog was about Robbie Dunne's case, which I wrote before the appeal was announced. It's not so much about the case itself but why racing and the weighing room could just be a very strange place unlike pretty much any other workplace. Frost and Dunne - What's to Blame

The second was comparing two different racing pubs, one where people took their lumps and remained stoic about it, the other where people had a whinge and moan and made excuses. A Tale of Two Boozers - Paranoia and Conspiracies in Racing

The third says that racing might have a problem in limiting its (at least the off course) audience to a very streamlined market, through the fault of no-one rather the realities of business. Comfy and Cosy - Bookies and Boozers Are Far From Horse Racing's Fantasy

I'd love any comments you have on them. I've really enjoyed writing them and have had the odd few words of encouragement from people. It's been an absolute privilege to have the freedom to sit in a pub, drinking, betting and watching horse racing so often in January and writing these blogs has been thoroughly enjoyable and to think one or two people have enjoyed them has made them really worthwhile.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Our good friend Riveting Roger has covid and is in a very bad way. Please pray for him everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭kksaints

Sending prayers may god have mercy on his soul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Dr Tony his personal physician during this difficult time. He's in good hands, probably.

I heard he was mooching the Shels fella and gave him covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Advertisement
Advertisement