Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight's Boxing (Chisora v Parker, Taylor v Jonas, Tennyson, Ruiz v Arreola etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Big Ears wrote: »
    Chris Byrd beat Vitali for the WBO and then beat Holyfield for the vacant IBF.
    He defended it for a few years before finally meeting Wlad and getting stopped.

For a blown up Super-Middleweight he had an excellent career with some good wins; Vitali, Tua, Holyfield, McCline, draw Vs Golota and a few other wins over C level guys.

Although the fact two blown up Super-Middleweights (Roy Jones being the other) won titles in that era and another won and popped for drugs (James Toney) it doesn't say a lot about the post Lewis era.

Lewis was actually for some of this period, but the very reason the WBA started their multiple title nonsense is the likes of Ruiz weren't up to facing him and they could make more money off having multiple champions.

Ok fair enough Byrd did have a good career. Even the fact he went 12 rounds with Wlad in the first fight is worth mentioning. His win against Vitali is a bit farcical but it counts all the same. What skewed it for me maybe is the way Ike creased him. You could even add Haye to that list since he went up in weight to take a strap off a finished Valuev. Although CW to HW isn’t exactly a transformation either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Ruiz-Arreola one of the better heavyweight fights in recent memory well worth a watch.

Lot to like about Andy Ruiz when he finds his groove and let's the hands go. Will never be a puncher though. Landed flush on Arreola multiple times last night and couldn't budge him. The fact he turned Joshua's legs to jelly over and over has to be a concern for Joshua realistically.

Must see if its on YouTube. I thought Ruiz would blast him out of there.

Maybe adds to the conspiracy theory that Joshua wasn’t right for that fight. He seemed to have no punch resistance. But any time he’s been hit he’s looked flimsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,128 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Morrison J wrote: »
    Ruiz-Arreola one of the better heavyweight fights in recent memory well worth a watch.

Lot to like about Andy Ruiz when he finds his groove and let's the hands go. Will never be a puncher though. Landed flush on Arreola multiple times last night and couldn't budge him. The fact he turned Joshua's legs to jelly over and over has to be a concern for Joshua realistically.

Yes..and it’s why AJ/Fury for me is difficult to call.

Fury can hurt and KO AJ...

walshb wrote: »
    Yes..and it’s why AJ/Fury for me is difficult to call.

Fury can hurt and KO AJ...

Yea I think so too. I swing from one prediction to another. I think Fury has a better, longer jab so if he pokes that in joshuas face to set up the hard right hand I can see trouble for Joshua. That jab needs to be right on point though because the combos Joshua throws can knock out Fury if they land.

• Advertisement

Erislandy Lara’s one punch KO was KO of the century...vicious!!!

Erislandy Lara’s one punch KO was KO of the century...vicious!!!

That was nasty! Did he connect with the throat? God that was brutal

squinn2912 wrote: »
    That was nasty! Did he connect with the throat? God that was brutal

It was pathetic...

Wouldn’t have knocked my 5 year old out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

It was pathetic...

Wouldn’t have knocked my 5 year old out!!!

His opponent was nicknamed 'cornflake' which seems about right.
    How was he in a 'world title' match anyway?

WhomadeGod wrote: »
    Where does this leave Andy ruiz now?

If rematch doesn't happen who will he face next?

If Fury and Joshua sign a two fight deal then maybe wilder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

WhomadeGod wrote: »
    Where does this leave Andy ruiz now?

If rematch doesn't happen who will he face next?

Luis Ortiz was ringside so looked like they're trying to make that next for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Butson

Morrison J wrote: »
    Luis Ortiz was ringside so looked like they're trying to make that next for him.

Both with the PBC so easy to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,666 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Not sure of it was mentioned on here but Natasha's short where ridiculously high throughout the whole fight, There was literally nothing to aim at between her chest and the top of the shorts
    I tweeted Dave Coldwell to see if anyone thete noticed as ot was never mentioned during the fight and Natasha's herself replied to me that there was a design faul and as soon as she started moving the rode all the way up,
    Just annoys me how biased commentary can be when it was clearly an unfair advantage that Katie had no body to aim for and nobody mentioned it at all

Oh and i 100% agree with Peter Fury, Ruiz went the wrong way about losing the weight, He done it like u would a body transformation for normal blokes out of shape or older women and it took some power and resistance away from him,

Oh and i 100% agree with Peter Fury, Ruiz went the wrong way about losing the weight, He done it like u would a body transformation for normal blokes out of shape or older women and it took some power and resistance away from him,

That makes total sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Had the Parker fight as a draw. Definitely two fighters below the elite level for sure. Chisora going the whole 12 is impressive as he looked gassed early but I dont see the point of him carrying on but he will no doubt. Was surprised Andy Lee took on Parker but maybe its a name recognition or a big project thing.

Some undercard all the same! Bivol dominant, Eubank no real change except paying attention to Roy Jones and Katie coming through like she always does.

Watched the Ruiz fight today and it was a clear decision. Arreola gave him some problems early but Ruiz worked it out while the veteran stayed in his lane. But like Chisora where does he go from here? Commentary annoying with too many voices led by that mouth Brian Kenny when one wants to listen to Lennox and Porter. Arreola went nuts after with his kid on his lap cursing out the judges.

In boxing like life there is no conspiracy. There is no entity out there pulling all the strings. Its just plain old human incompetence if there are wild judging scores.

SHOVELLER wrote: »

In boxing like life there is no conspiracy. There is no entity out there pulling all the strings. Its just plain old human incompetence if there are wild judging scores.

Agreed.

But it is not always incompetency either..

I’m saying this years. Very closely fought rounds can have very justifiably differing cards...

I know it is amateur, but I have judged many bouts. 90 percent the time I get the winner, but sometimes I don’t..

I have had a few fights where I went 30-27 and 4 others went 30-27 the other way. And I have seen other judges the same. It happens when the rounds are very tight and close. It is not incompetency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Had the Parker fight as a draw. Definitely two fighters below the elite level for sure. Chisora going the whole 12 is impressive as he looked gassed early but I dont see the point of him carrying on but he will no doubt. Was surprised Andy Lee took on Parker but maybe its a name recognition or a big project thing.

I think fighting chisora again makes sense for Parker so he can prove he is improving under andy
    Some undercard all the same! Bivol dominant, Eubank no real change except paying attention to Roy Jones and Katie coming through like she always does

Don’t say that out loud they will come after you. I thought undercard was very interesting

gypsy79 wrote: »
    I think fighting chisora again makes sense for Parker so he can prove he is improving under andy

Don’t say that out loud they will come after you. I thought undercard was very interesting

I agree makes him money ,a fight he will probably win & lets be fair his stock didn't rise after this weekend so not many other attractive avenues to go down ,

For me Parker just doesn't have the meanness to be any kind of a threat to the top guys at heavy weight, He has no spite in him, Lovely chap though ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Agreed.

I’m saying this years. Very closely fought rounds can have very justifiably differing cards...

I know it is amateur, but I have judged many bouts. 90 percent the time I get the winner, but sometimes I don’t..

I have had a few fights where I went 30-27 and 4 others went 30-27 the other way. And I have seen other judges the same. It happens when the rounds are very tight and close. It is not incompetency.

Yes should have said that incompetency is one of the reasons. Tight rounds will always produce different results and has to be said dont envy the judges.

Arreola was saying during his rant that judges should have noise cancelling headphones on during a fight but dont think that will happen or would necessarily lead to better decisions.

• Advertisement

Agreed.

This is it some fights are extremely close to judge and everyone likes different things when watching a fight

L you can have a fight that is razor close but one fighter wins by a land slide on a judges card and its not incompetency

Say if you win every round just by the skin of your teeth after you score the 12 it looks like you breezed it , When its anything but the case,

Yeah....I have opened a spreadsheet while watching and tried work out how I would like scoring to be. Essentially I came up with

-lots more 10-10
    -2 points for knockdowns
    -lots more 10-8, 10-7 and even 10-6's

Make fight go try win the fight not eek out rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Yeah....I have opened a spreadsheet while watching and tried work out how I would like scoring to be. Essentially I came up with

-lots more 10-10
    -2 points for knockdowns
    -lots more 10-8, 10-7 and even 10-6's

Make fight go try win the fight not eek out rounds

Are you proposing these scoring ranges? 10-6?
    I think that would muddy the waters even more, unless you mean something else?

A 10-6 round is like a KO....

Ambulance job!

Are you proposing these scoring ranges? 10-6?
    I think that would muddy the waters even more, unless you mean something else?

I really amn sure but it will try to discourage the rounds you see at the start of fights tha no one really wins and can explain some of the legitamate cards that are all over the place

And a 10-1/10-2 would be a battering that would be a knockout

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I really amn sure but it will try to discourage the rounds you see at the start of fights tha no one really wins and can explain some of the legitamate cards that are all over the place

And a 10-1/10-2 would be a battering that would be a knockout

Scores would be all over the shop and even worse than now.
    Some judges would have a 10-10 for a round and another judge would score the same round 10-8

It's not the system that's flawed, it's the application of it.
    No change to the system itself will fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭megadodge

A 10-6 round is like a KO....

Ambulance job!

No it's not.

Pacman put Marquez down 3 times in the first round of their first fight but Marquez recovered well enough to win the fight on my card.

2/3 judges scored that a 10/6 to Manny.

Other scored it a 10/7

10/6 is a very rare score. Fights usually stopped due to the heavy dominance!

Anyway, my “point” stands...kind of an ambulance job round....like a KO/TKO stoppage a lot of times!

Lot of times three KDs in a round is automatic TKO/stoppage..

I see Tenny thinking hoping to move to 140 lbs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I see Tenny thinking hoping to move to 140 lbs..

Not a good move for him. The higher the weight the harder his opponents hit him.

Advertisement