Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight's Boxing (Chisora v Parker, Taylor v Jonas, Tennyson, Ruiz v Arreola etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭megadodge

Did I hear 116 to 111 to Parker?

How?

9 rounds to 3, with one of the 3 being a 10-8.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Butson

116 - 111 to Parker?
    With a 10-8 knockdown.

Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

116-111 for Parker a little wide for me. I might have given it to Chisora by one, think he just shaded the last round.

Abysmal judging crazy stuff

Andy Lee will earn his wage getting Parker to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,214 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

squinn2912 wrote: »
    All seems fair enough with that scoring. I dont think Chisora will retire just yet but I’d say that’s the end of him headlining an event. Parker will need to start better and press an advantage home. Next day out will be interesting. That was a good contest for him.

Andy Lee was saying he only worked with Parker for around the last 5 weeks of proper training, just enough time to hone his existing strengths and do a little work on his weaknesses, so it'll be interesting to see if he can do a bit more as time goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Bit embarrassing for Andy there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Andy Lee basically admitting Chisora won

What did Lee say?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Fight scorecard is always a pretty good judge for me. I Didn't really watch the first 6 rounds of the Chicora vs parker match to score it myself
    https://twitter.com/FightScorecard/status/1388630500168933376

this was the Taylor fight.

https://twitter.com/FightScorecard/status/1388609848590356482

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I had Chisora winning first 4 rounds.

I had Parker winning the next 7.

The last round I think Chisora might have edged.

7-5 to Parker with one of the 5 being a 10-8

Very close fight particularly with the knockdown to be taken into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,214 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What did Lee say?

Right after the fight he said to Chisora that he wasn't sure they should've gotten the nod. I took it to be more of a; "That was a bloody close one", than, "You were robbed".

Chisora then put him on the spot by saying; "his coach said I should've won", in his interview, and Lee gave a little clarification about the closeness of the fight, and quickly added they'd be happy to go for the rematch.

I'm sure Lee will be on Second Captains again this week, so will be interesting to hear what he says then. The fight pretty much played out as he expected beforehand - lose the first few rounds, win the bulk of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

What did Lee say?

Chisora said Andy said he won.
    Andy came in and said 'it was a close fight, we're in his country, I thought they would have gave him fair play'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Yeah, Lee made sure Chisora didn't get away with that claim unchallenged.

Parker a clear winner for me in a tough close fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,978 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I didn’t score it, but Parker’s work was far cleaner and neater..

Chisora was his usual plodding swinging self. No skill whatsoever..

He does the exact same thing all the time. Wades in all sloppy winging wild swings...

Andy Lee will earn his wage getting Parker to the top.

Not possible. Parker is a grade C fighter...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Nah Parker is woeful. I did have some hopes for him as he was a belt holder very young but he’s no better now at 29 than he was 5 years ago. Maybe he’s worse. Strong and rugged but slow and uninspiring. I think he needed to do much better here to be considered seriously. Plenty of decent fights out there for him but I’m not sure I see him competing for a title again.

I see Andy Ruiz won wide on the cards after a second round knockdown. Reading up about it it seemed he was getting his fill of it in the early rounds but yet all three judges gave him 118. Lost a bit of weight hardly trim. This should have been a bit more of a statement from him I expected him to stop Arreola. Rematch with Parker would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭blade1

walshb wrote: »

Grade C can win you titles.
    Look at Andy Ruiz.
    Got to the Top (briefly I know).
    And Parker beat him.

So possible alright.

blade1 wrote: »
    Grade C can win you titles.
    Look at Andy Ruiz.
    Got to the Top (briefly I know).
    And Parker beat him.

So possible alright.

The only way is if a title comes up on the cheap due to vacation or stripping. Charles Martin had a title. Incredible.
    Problem for Parker is he’s down the queue a bit now were that to happen. Whyte, Usyk, Joyce and Wilder all above him now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The only way is if a title comes up on the cheap due to vacation or stripping. Charles Martin had a title. Incredible.
    Problem for Parker is he’s down the queue a bit now were that to happen. Whyte, Usyk, Joyce and Wilder all above him now

Or an injury.

But yeah it's almost laughable the system that allows so many champions and can pick and choose who they fight a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Andy Ruiz beat Arreola on points last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Nah Parker is woeful. I did have some hopes for him as he was a belt holder very young but he’s no better now at 29 than he was 5 years ago. Maybe he’s worse. Strong and rugged but slow and uninspiring. I think he needed to do much better here to be considered seriously. Plenty of decent fights out there for him but I’m not sure I see him competing for a title again.

I see Andy Ruiz won wide on the cards after a second round knockdown. Reading up about it it seemed he was getting his fill of it in the early rounds but yet all three judges gave him 118. Lost a bit of weight hardly trim. This should have been a bit more of a statement from him I expected him to stop Arreola. Rematch with Parker would be interesting.

I gave Ruiz 10 of the 12 rounds. He out boxed Arreola comfortably in these rounds but Chris was tough, took some good shots and Ruiz was defintely wary of trading.

Arreola hurt Ruiz in rounds 2 and 3, putting him down in the second.

He was catching him around the ear with the right hand and hurting Ruiz.

Ruiz recovered well from round 4 onwards and picked some great shots but didn't look too powerful to be fair. He was quick and clean with his work.

Arreola's post fight interview was interesting lol....as were the multiple brawls in the crowd!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Charles Martin got incredibly lucky.
    Fury was stripped for not defending against Glazkov (who hadn't done much to become mandatory) and Glazkov blows out his knee in the vacant title fight Vs Martin.

Eddie Hearn said in an interview when he got the chance to have Joshua fight Martin he rang Joshua's team. "We've got a World title shot for AJ if we want it !!"
    The reply was 'woah, no way Eddie, he's not ready'
    ......"It's against Charles Martin"
    ....'Do it !'

Still not as bad as the circumstances which saw Trevor Bryan win a "World title". Thankfully nobody pays any attention to that.

Just on Tennyson ..

Folks talking about hoping he keeps going and gets more shots..

Personally I’d be concerned for Tennyson if I was his team. He takes too much, and can’t take it. Very porous defence, and gets hit far too clean..

Not saying retire: just an observational concern. It’s all well and good eating up nobodies who offer nothing back, but against boxers who can give and take (and there are heaps these type lads), then he will be hurt..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Andy Ruiz beat Arreola on points last night

Just watching it.
    The commentators are extremely OTT, you'd swear it was Hagler vs Hearns.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Does Katie ever knock fighters down? My amateur analysis, she just seems quicker than everyone else, so she can always get lots of points in right up till the end of fights, but she never really seems to hurt the other fighter bad or knock them down. It was a good fight though, great advertisement for the sport.

Does Katie ever knock fighters down? My amateur analysis, she just seems quicker than everyone else, so she can always get lots of points in right up till the end of fights, but she never really seems to hurt the other fighter bad or knock them down. It was a good fight though, great advertisement for the sport.

She is not a big hitter..

Her game is about speed, movement and ring generalship.

Big Ears wrote: »
    Charles Martin got incredibly lucky.
    Fury was stripped for not defending against Glazkov (who hadn't done much to become mandatory) and Glazkov blows out his knee in the vacant title fight Vs Martin.

Eddie Hearn said in an interview when he got the chance to have Joshua fight Martin he rang Joshua's team. "We've got a World title shot for AJ if we want it !!"
    The reply was 'woah, no way Eddie, he's not ready'
    ......"It's against Charles Martin"
    ....'Do it !'

Still not as bad as the circumstances which saw Trevor Bryan win a "World title". Thankfully nobody pays any attention to that.

He really did as did Parker for his title. Every now and again a title comes for a song. Did Chris Byrd actually win a title? I know he got a W over VK due to injury. Martin is some clown to have had a title all the same. As bad as I remember at HW. Back maybe to the horror of Spinx.
    Ah yea I think AJ’s response was ‘let’s roll’ he couldn’t believe his luck. In hindsight that would have been some opportunity for him to go to America and announce himself to that audience against that turkey.
    But bear in mind that a lottery ticket like that came up once in a decade after Klit dominance. I dont think Parker is good enough to force his way into title contention if he had any designs on that top table he needed to be eating Chisora. And I dont think he can pin his hope on being in the right place at the right time either

Just on Tennyson ..

Folks talking about hoping he keeps going and gets more shots..

Personally I’d be concerned for Tennyson if I was his team. He takes too much, and can’t take it. Very porous defence, and gets hit far too clean..

Not saying retire: just an observational concern. It’s all well and good eating up nobodies who offer nothing back, but against boxers who can give and take (and there are heaps these type lads), then he will be hurt..

His tactics last night where insane, although he did give interviews during the week saying he was going to try and take him out early.

Straffon is aggressive and hangs his chin out on a platter, just box, keep things tight and with Tennyson's power, eventually you'll catch him with something that gets him going and go for it then.

For a guy like him to go straight into a shootout with dodgy whiskers and poor punch resistance to the body is silly.

I think he should stay going, because I think he can improve on what he's achieved in the sport and with the right match making he may eventually win himself a version of a "World title" (not the IBO).
    He was most likely only getting to a stage where the paydays were getting pretty good and if he had won that fight, he probably could have headlined a card in Belfast Vs someone like Burns or Linares.

So back to the drawing board, stop boxing like an idiot, try and earn good money and a fancy title (even another European) in the next couple of years and get out before you take too much punishment.

He really did as did Parker for his title. Every now and again a title comes for a song. Did Chris Byrd actually win a title? I know he got a W over VK due to injury. Martin is some clown to have had a title all the same. As bad as I remember at HW. Back maybe to the horror of Spinx.
    Ah yea I think AJ’s response was ‘let’s roll’ he couldn’t believe his luck. In hindsight that would have been some opportunity for him to go to America and announce himself to that audience against that turkey.
    But bear in mind that a lottery ticket like that came up once in a decade after Klit dominance. I dont think Parker is good enough to force his way into title contention if he had any designs on that top table he needed to be eating Chisora. And I dont think he can pin his hope on being in the right place at the right time either

Chris Byrd beat Vitali for the WBO and then beat Holyfield for the vacant IBF.
    He defended it for a few years before finally meeting Wlad and getting stopped.

For a blown up Super-Middleweight he had an excellent career with some good wins; Vitali, Tua, Holyfield, McCline, draw Vs Golota and a few other wins over C level guys.

Although the fact two blown up Super-Middleweights (Roy Jones being the other) won titles in that era and another won and popped for drugs (James Toney) it doesn't say a lot about the post Lewis era.

Lewis was actually for some of this period, but the very reason the WBA started their multiple title nonsense is the likes of Ruiz weren't up to facing him and they could make more money off having multiple champions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

He is 29 which is where many elite fighters are near their peak and if you can't easily beat a 37 year old Chisora who has lost ten times and at this stage of his career is approaching journeyman status then you won't go far.

Andy Lee knows his stuff, but he's got his work cut out with Parker.

Advertisement