Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Evil_g

I'm with Clanoflams. Henshaw turned his back on Connacht.

He, and a lot of other people at the time, effectively said you had to leave Connacht to become a Lion.

No other province would congratulate a player who did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Evil_g wrote: »

He, and a lot of other people at the time, effectively said you had to leave Connacht to become a Lion.

Ah now turned his back is a bit strong, man gets better job offer is all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

It's a professional sport. If no lad ever left their province then no home grown fella would ever be paid his value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

PCeeeee wrote: »
    It's a professional sport. If no lad ever left their province then no home grown fella would ever be paid his value.

Provinces can’t be outbid by each other so financially makes no impact which province you play for except potentially in marketing/commercial deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

salmocab wrote: »
    Ah now turned his back is a bit strong, man gets better job offer is all it is.

He's no different to Quinn Roux, Gavin Thornbury, Alex Wootton etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Provinces can’t be outbid by each other so financially makes no impact which province you play for except potentially in marketing/commercial deals.

Had forgotten that.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Evil_g

PCeeeee wrote: »

No other home grown Lions level player has ever left an Irish province for another Irish province. (I'll maybe just cover myself by adding in the professional era). (And in their prime).

It's only happened once. And he said at the time he needed to do it to get to the "next level".

Can you imagine if that happened at any other province? Would they be tweeting out congratulations?

He's no different to Quinn Roux, Gavin Thornbury, Alex Wootton etc etc.

None were first choice at their province. Thornbury wasn’t even contracted to a province.

It’s exceedingly rare for a first choice Irish international to leave their province. Ulster and Munster have had plenty of struggles in the last decade or so and none opted to leave despite far greater chance of silverware elsewhere. Indeed Muldoon was offered a deal by every other province at one stage or another and turned them down.

Was just commenting on the tweet though, think it’s beyond time Connacht moved past henshaw and tweeting him congrats makes the province look small (but there are other valid perspectives), didn’t intend to start a whole debate.

None were first choice at their province. Thornbury wasn’t even contracted to a province.

It’s exceedingly rare for a first choice Irish international to leave their province. Ulster and Munster have had plenty of struggles in the last decade or so and none opted to leave despite far greater chance of silverware elsewhere. Indeed Muldoon was offered a deal by every other province at one stage or another and turned them down.

I just meant that these guys moved on to further their careers, just like Henshaw did.
    Was just commenting on the tweet though, think it’s beyond time Connacht moved past henshaw and tweeting him congrats makes the province look small (but there are other valid perspectives), didn’t intend to start a whole debate.

I agree. If Leinster had tweeted congrats to Beirne, it would have been very odd (not quite the same, I know).

I just meant that these guys moved on to further their careers, just like Henshaw did.

Moving for game time is a different thing altogether imo. There would be uproar at a young Ulster/Munster first choice International joining Leinster five years ago despite the struggles of their provinces, it was accepted because it was Connacht.

Connacht tweeting stuff like they did today potentially reinforces the idea that’s it fine for exceptional young talent to leave the province.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Henshaw in general seems to split Connacht fans 50/50 on these sorts of things. Personally I'm with ClanOfLams on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭typhoony

still rankles with me that he left, he was a player Connacht should have been able to build a team around. the argument that he would have been a worse player if he hadnt moved doesnt make sense to me, no doubt he's played a few games at Leinster that would have been at a higher level than games Connacht have played but not sure that would have been enough to have made him a better player. Playing internationals for Ireland definitely is a bigger step up

Moving for game time is a different thing altogether imo. There would be uproar at a young Ulster/Munster first choice International joining Leinster five years ago despite the struggles of their provinces, it was accepted because it was Connacht.

Connacht tweeting stuff like they did today potentially reinforces the idea that’s it fine for exceptional young talent to leave the province.

Ah there was no shortage of uproar when Henshaw was leaving Connacht either, to be fair. I don't think it was "accepted" at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Calling out players for turning their back is a pretty bold thing to do considering the way professional clubs have no problem turning their back on multiple players every year. We turned our back on three very loyal players last year. It’s a two way thing and just the professional game.

This really shouldn’t bother people as much as it has here. Just shrug your shoulders, shake your head in disagreement and go on with the day. If it had been to congratulate him on winning something with Leinster, I’d understand the annoyance.

Say what you will about Robbie but he’s the best player we’ve produced in the professional era by a country mile. We’re a small province and I’m very proud the province has produced a two time Lion.

I also hope he gets dumped on his arse by Bundee when he does eventually have the balls to come back and play us in Galway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not to be a killjoy on a great day for the province and recall this came up in 2017 after lions selection but Connacht shouldn’t be tweeting congrats to Henshaw. He left the province, no other province would be tweeting congrats to someone who opted to move on.

Happy for him that he’s playing well and all, but tweeting congrats to Leinster player looks a bit small time in my view.

Had he just played for Connacht I'd probably agree with you but he came through the Connacht schools and club system AND went on to play for Connacht. I think it's fair enough to congratulate him in this case.

And who knows he may be back some day. Hopefully if he is he still has something left in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

its_phil wrote: »
    Calling out players for turning their back is a pretty bold thing to do considering the way professional clubs have no problem turning their back on multiple players every year. We turned our back on three very loyal players last year. It’s a two way thing and just the professional game.

This really shouldn’t bother people as much as it has here. Just shrug your shoulders, shake your head in disagreement and go on with the day. If it had been to congratulate him on winning something with Leinster, I’d understand the annoyance.

Say what you will about Robbie but he’s the best player we’ve produced in the professional era by a country mile. We’re a small province and I’m very proud the province has produced a two time Lion.

I also hope he gets dumped on his arse by Bundee when he does eventually have the balls to come back and play us in Galway!!!

Bundee is out in 2023, Henshaw will then come back as leader to finish his career on a 3 years-deal!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Wegians89

connachta wrote: »
    Bundee is out in 2023, Henshaw will then come back as leader to finish his career on a 3 years-deal!:cool:

Think henshaws contract is up next summer. He’d be 28 so would be brilliant to convince him to come back for 4-5 years. He’s won everything he can in Leinster, he’ll have two lions tours under his belt. Saying all that I can’t see it happening until he’s in his 30s

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

I agreed with your post but when I actually looked at the tweet I think it's fine. Picture of him and Bundee together and specifically congratulating Buccs and Marist.

If it was something like the Bundee tweet saying "ROBBIE IS A LION" then I'd die of cringe.

I agreed with your post but when I actually looked at the tweet I think it's fine. Picture of him and Bundee together and specifically congratulating Buccs and Marist.

If it was something like the Bundee tweet saying "ROBBIE IS A LION" then I'd die of cringe.

Yeah that’s fair enough too.

I would like the expectation to be that any first choice international will stay at Connacht, that expectation exists in Ulster/Munster (can’t recall the last time one moved within Ireland) but I’m not sure it does in Connacht or at least it didn’t in 2016, when a large part of the support was pretty accepting of the move.

Obviously wouldn’t want him to be booed or abused in any way or anything like that but I thought a large part of Connacht’s fan base was too understanding and verging on being supportive of the move. Had the same happened in Ulster/Munster the response would have been very very different.

Think it’s largely because Connacht doesn’t have the same level of tradition as the others and that’s hopefully being developed every year. Just thought that five years on, Connacht still tweeting about and congratulating him played into a sort of small province mindset.

But I get your point re Marist & Buccs so it’s a tricky one. Anyway it’s just a tweet & there’s an interpro this weekend with Connacht maybe even two games away from a final so probably time to move on!

It's only happened once. And he said at the time he needed to do it to get to the "next level".

And to make things worse, he left the bloody champions.
    Hardly a Harry Kane situation, coming to the end of the road and maybe wanting to win silverware.

No time for him after that and tbh criminal of the IRFU to allow it to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Team named

15. John Porch (37)
    14. Peter Sullivan (13)
    13. Sean O’Brien (Acad) (8)
    12. Tom Daly (45)
    11. Matt Healy (149)
    10. Conor Fitzgerald (33)
    9. Caolin Blade (128)
    1. Denis Buckley (197)
    2. Dave Heffernan (141)
    3. Finlay Bealham (156)
    4. Niall Murray (14)
    5. Gavin Thornbury (57)
    6. Eoghan Masterson (108)
    7. Conor Oliver (18)
    8. Jarrad Butler (70) (C)

Replacements
    16. Jonny Murphy (14)
    17. Matthew Burke (21)
    18. Dominic Robertson-McCoy (64)
    19. Cian Prendergast (6)
    20. Abraham Papali’I (11)
    21. Kieran Marmion (183)
    22. Sammy Arnold (12)
    23. Oran McNulty (1)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1390621934136741891

Leinster Team

Henshaw has contractually obliged does not play at the Sportsground haha

Good opportunity for Niall Murray, Ross Molony and Fardy are a very capable pair so will be interesting to see Thornbury and Murray go against them.

Likewise Prendergast and McNulty off the bench. Will need big impact from bench, hopefully Papa Leahy delivers again because Leinster bench looks very strong.

No Shane Delahunt or Carty in 23, guess both picked up knocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

No jack is a surprise. Had a poor game v Ulster but is her carrying a knock I wonder.

Same for dillane expect he had quite a good game. Murray and prendergast are gems though so not that concerned

Leinster with a strong backline and mixed pack

Apparently Niall Murray went from 92 kg to 121 kg in 2020.

I also purposely decided to gain 30kg in 2020.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Apparently Niall Murray went from 92 kg to 121 kg in 2020.

I also purposely decided to gain 30kg in 2020.

Wouldn’t say he looks 121 kg. Big jump glad he seems to have kept his agility

Yeah that sounds like an extreme jump, didn’t he make a couple of appearances last season? Hard to believe they put him in at 91kg. Would guess that might be bit exaggerated or longer time period than one year but he’s definitely bit more developed this year.

Yeah that sounds like an extreme jump, didn’t he make a couple of appearances last season? Hard to believe they put him in at 91kg. Would guess that might be bit exaggerated or longer time period than one year but he’s definitely bit more developed this year.

If anything it’d probably have been 91 at the start of last preseason so could have been 105 by the end of last season (not unreasonable considering lockdown).

Normally I wouldn't believe published weights but they were figures given by the man himself so it's probably not far off accurate. Paul Boyle also mentioned at one stage that he'd put on upwards of 20kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

Roux has signed for Toulon according to Jackman on the 42 members podcast!

Advertisement