Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I guess the question is whether a province should be spending time developing an NIQ player who turns 28 in the summer and has (at best) two more seasons in Ireland.

Just like foreign signings at the other provinces, every minute that Papali'i spends on the pitch is a minute that a young guy is in the stands. However, most foreign signings are expected to either a) make an immediate impact or b) develop into an Ireland player. Papali'i is neither so there isn't the same trade-off as with some of the other foreigners.

I would let him go, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

While he might have a certain impact role in the squad, if he gets another red card for a dangerous tackle then the ban could be quite severe. Fool me thrice etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I guess the question is whether a province should be spending time developing an NIQ player who turns 28 in the summer and has (at best) two more seasons in Ireland.

Just like foreign signings at the other provinces, every minute that Papali'i spends on the pitch is a minute that a young guy is in the stands. However, most foreign signings are expected to either a) make an immediate impact or b) develop into an Ireland player. Papali'i is neither so there isn't the same trade-off as with some of the other foreigners.

I would let him go, tbh.

He has made an immediate impact though, he has carrying ability that is crucial for Connacht and no one else comes near. Without him think that win in Ravenhill last week doesn’t happen.

Obviously also had negative impact with two reds but considering he was a 27 year old who essentially hadn’t played professional rugby he has made a greater impact than I would have expected anyway.

Of course there’s a risk attached particularly in terms of red cards but given what he brings and the potential for that impact to become even bigger it’s worth it in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I'd have either of the Mastersons at 7 before Oliver. Eoghan is actually a very decent 7, and usually breaks much quicker than him off the scrum, which has cost Connacht a lot of ground at times. Seán seems like he could be more of a 6/8 though. I'd argue Boyle is probably the best 7 we have even though it's not his natural position.

I'd like to see Old Masterson, Boyle, Butler, Papa and SOB 2.0 the main 5 when all fit with Masterson Jnr and the other young lads as rotations.

Somebody said Oliver has made a big impact at 7... Again, not trying to be facetious, but how do you come to that conclusion? I just don't understand what he adds apart from he works hard. Yeah, he works hard, great for the team, he's a grafter, blah blah... If we want to be winning anything or progressing we need to be getting good players, not just players that work hard...

Eoghan Masterson has started one game at 7 in the past five years, and for good reason. Pre-injury he was definitely athletic enough to play openside, but ever since his return he has noticeably adapted his game to that of a lock/blindside (and 8 at a push). In 2021 he is nothing resembling an openside. As an aside I thought he played his best rugby in years at lock earlier in the season, he deserves so much credit for reinventing himself so successfully.

Oliver is a good tackler, decent over the ball, abrasive, niggly, vocal, and a reasonable carrier (although we use him bizarrely close to the ruck). He is not a world beater but he is a good pro 14 player. If you think there is no place for a player of his ability as a backup at Connacht i think you need to recalibrate your expectations. Comparing him to the Leinster 7s is unfair (Connors has rejected us already and I'd be surprised if we didn't at least reach out to Scott Penny this season) and comparing to players who play different positions is pointless (Josh Murphy an openside, what?!).

Wegians89 has nailed our depth chart down below, and I'm reasonably happy with it. One thing I would say is that if Roux stays and SOB is out of the picture, I would like to see us try Murray or Dowling at 6 for a bit of extra physicality.

Murray Kinsella just highlighted how effective he was off bench last week. Destructive force, would be a big loss.

https://twitter.com/murray_kinsella/status/1387386552502951937?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Could be utter bollocks but I had heard he'd another year on his deal. Wouldn't make huge sense to be giving gametime in a glorified development competition if he was going either.

Could be utter bollocks but I had heard he'd another year on his deal. Wouldn't make huge sense to be giving gametime in a glorified development competition if he was going either.

Yeah hard one to figure out as there is kind of conflicting signals between videos of his play being put on YouTube which usually done to attract offers and as you say game time for A team, senior squad, etc.

Hopefully he has another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I would let him go, tbh.

Grand but where’s the big dynamic young Irish player who plays in the back row to replace him? It’s the most obvious attacking weakness Connacht have had since Muldoon retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

its_phil wrote: »
    Grand but where’s the big dynamic young Irish player who plays in the back row to replace him? It’s the most obvious attacking weakness Connacht have had since Muldoon retired.

Caelan Doris? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

So, this Niall Murray guy looks decent, Thornbury is coming along and hopefully Roux comes back.

Move Dillane to six?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭ShineyShiney

So, this Niall Murray guy looks decent, Thornbury is coming along and hopefully Roux comes back.

Move Dillane to six?

Dowling, Murray, Prendergast, Sob, Masterson, Masterson, Butler, Boyle we are not short of 6 options

I think we need 5 good locks, we tried a couple of years with 4 but got caught short. Really happy with our 5 if we can just get Roux signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

It's 7 and 8 we need, no more 5 or 6, with lots of talents we have for a while there!

Looks a decent appointment but don’t know anything about him or how he did at Stade Francais etc

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1388083631470653443?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭testtech05

Edit: just beaten to the announcement but agreed looks like a good addition with my limited knowledge of the guy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Don't know anything about him but his CV seems decent, I'm just glad he's coming from outside the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Did his time at Stade coincide with O'Conells?
    He was also at Grenoble when Jackman was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,626 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Did his time at Stade coincide with O'Conells?
    He was also at Grenoble when Jackman was there.

He took over after O'Connell left, would've been at Grenoble while he was there

Ok. Yea i thought he might have been brought in once PO'C announced he's gettin the hell out of there.
    Senekal was brought in that summer of 2019 but was gone after Meyer and all the other S.A coaches were given the heave-ho 5 months later.
    Looks like he hasn't been coaching since then.

He's gonna help his fellow countryman Roux to refind motivation, and young very very promising forwards to reach international level (Boyle, Prendergast, Murray, Duggan, Aungier)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Wow. Ally Muldowney less than impressed. Deleted the tweet but clearly not a fan.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,280 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Wow. Ally Muldowney less than impressed. Deleted the tweet but clearly not a fan.

yeah thats was quite weird... very strong words

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

What did it say? Presume he worked under him at Grenoble.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

E0PIu4WWQAIsIaL?format=png&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ouch

"Generally"? So he must have some good points!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,626 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Jesus that's some indictment of your former coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

connachta wrote: »
    He's gonna help his fellow countryman Roux to refind motivation, and young very very promising forwards to reach international level (Boyle, Prendergast, Murray, Duggan, Aungier)

WTF are you talking about on Roux?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

With respect to the Muldowney (Connacht legend), if he's only going a make very vague comment like that it serves absolutely no purpose. A "U ok hun?" reply to him is all that's missing. He was wise to delete it.

WTF are you talking about on Roux?

It 's uneasy to find form after multiple injuries and a Saffer will give him a boost I hope. That's what I say (if Roux stays BTW)

• Advertisement

Ulster unable to stop Leicester power.
    Probably of mix of "IRFU need to work on physicality programs" and "Connacht are not that bad at all, this defeat wasn't a complete shame"

Advertisement