Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

connachta wrote: »
    Ulster unable to stop Leicester power.
    Probably of mix of "IRFU need to work on physicality programs" and "Connacht are not that bad at all, this defeat wasn't a complete shame"
    On the contrary, Ulster bested them for power in the first half and were relentless. But Cooney was dictating the tempo and movement, and they were entirely rudderless for 20-25 minutes after his departure. During that period Matthewson behaved inexplicably. Lowry and Addison were (mostly) good when they came on, but too many points had been conceded by then.

Having said that, Leicester did show that they have a good pack and plenty of depth. To turn things around with those personnel changes in the second half showed intelligence and fortitude. Wiese was good again, although he was lucky not to get a card, french refs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

There is no comparison between the line ups faced by Connacht and Ulster respectively.

Ford, Wigglesworth, Tom Youngs, Ellis Genge, Dan Cole, Liebenberg and Naholo were all absent against Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Leicester won the collision overall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Probably of mix of "IRFU need to work on physicality programs" and "Connacht are not that bad at all, this defeat wasn't a complete shame"

“Physicality programs”...You don’t develop players to go through teams like Tigers, you develop players to go around them with the odd sprinkle of players to punch a hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

How does Leicester beating Ulster say anything about Connacht and indeed why is it even on the Connacht thread?

• Advertisement

its_phil wrote: »
    “Physicality programs”...You don’t develop players to go through teams like Tigers, you develop players to go around them with the odd sprinkle of players to punch a hole.

I frankly disagree. Ireland will never win a RWC without marching on English team(s) on a physical POV. We don't wanna face this weakness and thing IE imports like CJ and Aki will make it up. We need 15 beasts.

salmocab wrote: »
    How does Leicester beating Ulster say anything about Connacht and indeed why is it even on the Connacht thread?

To point one other Irish team at least, not Connacht only, struggles to English physicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I frankly disagree. Ireland will never win a RWC without marching on English team(s) on a physical POV. We don't wanna face this weakness and thing IE imports like CJ and Aki will make it up. We need 15 beasts.

There’s two teams capable of “marching on” England and that’s South Africa or France. Everyone else at the elite end is always going to be smaller than the English pack.

Let’s just put all four provinces in the gym and make sure they never see a ball again.

its_phil wrote: »
    There’s two teams capable of “marching on” England and that’s South Africa or France. Everyone else at the elite end is always going to be smaller than the English pack.

Let’s just put all four provinces in the gym and make sure they never see a ball again.

Yes try it. We never did. Instead of waiting for the next BOD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Good stuff, get Roux done and one more back row (prob not that likely) and would be pretty decent all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Would love to see sob ( pictured training) Butler and papalii start against Leinster with boyle on the bench for impact. That’d be a physically dominant back row.

Probably won’t happen this season given sob and Butler are just returning from injuries and abe probably isn’t ready for 80 minutes yet

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Number 137

What an absolutely ridiculous comment. You'd swear players in Ireland had never seen the inside of a gym. England have always been bigger than most teams on the planet. If their clubs supplement that with foreign players, like the South Africans and Pacific Islanders already mentioned (who have also always been big men), then you're going to have a battle on your hands physically. Absolute nonsense altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Very pleased that Papa Leahy is staying for the next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Zeugnis wrote: »
    Very pleased that Papa Leahy is staying for the next year :)

Hope to see him in the flesh next season. Another good pre-season and we might see more of Beast Mode Papa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Papa Leahy for the thread title !!!
    A nice pre season with JOC will hopefully have him up to scratch fitness wise and if he keeps progressing with the tackle technique he could be a gem for us. Delighted to see him stay on and as mentioned I cannot wait to see him in the sportsground soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Muligatawney

Good news about Papali'i but from an outsider perspective, do Connacht fans think him or Boyle (or both?) plays in their first choice back row? I'm a big fan of Boyle whenever I watch him.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Good news about Papali'i but from an outsider perspective, do Connacht fans think him or Boyle (or both?) plays in their first choice back row? I'm a big fan of Boyle whenever I watch him.

Glad to have papilii signed, great potential.

Boyle is the first name in the back row every week for me but he's versitile and can play 8 or 6 and has played 7 a few times iirc

8 backrows and all needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

For the minute papalii will probably used as an impact sub, when his fitness isn’t an issue it’ll be interesting but both are well able to play together

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

His good cameo against Ulster was encouraging but he's miles off being a starter still IMO. We're only a few weeks out from plenty of people saying he didn't deserve another contract (which was knee jerk in fairness) after the Leicester game. He has improved but needs to improve at least as much again before he'd be in our first choice back row and even then it wouldn't be at Boyles expense

1. Advertisement
    2. Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

At least now we have two carriers in our pack (Big Papa and Dillane).
      Not enough but better than nothing, I do hope Aungier develops as a 3rd

3. Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Boyle out for three weeks apparently

4. Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Wegians89 wrote: »
      Boyle out for three weeks apparently

Not a huge surprise, he looked to be in some discomfort when he came off against Ulster. He's had a long season.

5. Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Zeugnis wrote: »
      Not a huge surprise, he looked to be in some discomfort when he came off against Ulster. He's had a long season.

Hope that doesn’t effect his chances with Irish tour. Wootton, Healy and Conor dean all back for this weekend

6. Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Think papalii will get a start this weekend with Boyle out and how Leinster got on last weekend. Could see something like:

Buckley Delahunt bealham
      Dowling thornbury
      Masterson papalii Butler
      Marmion carty
      Daly Arnold
      Wootton porch Sullivan

Heff Duggan McCoy Dillane Sean masterson blade Fitz Healy

7. Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Hope that doesn’t effect his chances with Irish tour. Wootton, Healy and Conor dean all back for this weekend

By the sounds of things the Irish tour is gonna be in Dublin

8. Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Think papalii will get a start this weekend with Boyle out and how Leinster got on last weekend. Could see something like:

Buckley Delahunt bealham
      Dowling thornbury
      Masterson papalii Butler
      Marmion carty
      Daly Arnold
      Wootton porch Sullivan

I think Duggan may be injured too so it will probably be Burke as backup

9. Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Buckley Delahunt bealham
      Dowling thornbury
      Masterson papalii Butler
      Marmion carty
      Daly Arnold
      Wootton porch Sullivan

Well big problem here, we agree 100%:D

Very smart to put all-ex-Leinster 2nd row vs their ex-team.
      Papa will be Botia again
      Arnold back on time
      S.Masterson to gain experience
      Maybe BOD in the mix?

10. Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Well big problem here, we agree 100%:D

Very smart to put all-ex-Leinster 2nd row vs their ex-team.
      Papa will be Botia again
      Arnold back on time
      S.Masterson to gain experience
      Maybe BOD in the mix?

Yeah maybe bod at 23. If not Sean masterson I’d have prendergast in the 20 shirt. Would really like to see dowling from the start in this game, feel he can be the enforcemer type roux is.

11. Advertisement
    12. Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Yeah maybe bod at 23. If not Sean masterson I’d have prendergast in the 20 shirt. Would really like to see dowling from the start in this game, feel he can be the enforcemer type roux is.

Kinda, light but same style

Advertisement