Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭wiz569

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Thank you . Glad she is getting it sorted . A family member attends there but is in Group 7

She would have classed herself as Group 7 but her last HbA1C was bang on 58mmol/mol so they put her forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

No word in my family yet from St. James about an appointment. For a Type 1.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

No word in my family yet from St. James about an appointment. For a Type 1.

By the sounds of it they are only rolling it out this week to St. James patients, so possibly just getting through the list, they only have X amount per day as well so it might be a case they have to a lot what they have and then wait for the next allotment to be signed off. Obviously I don't know your surname or you mine but alphabetically I am pretty early on, maybe they are just down the list a bit.

Positive notes, first dose down and relatively quick and simple to get done. Loved every minute of it

Negative notes, my mother in laws centre had music playing and everyone in super buzzing mood, this was not the case here. It was nice and well run but I was clearly the most excited person within the place. If I hadn't been wearing my cycling shoes I would have been doing cartwheels through the place.
    robinph wrote: »
    The reports from family and friends on Moderna have been just dodgy arms the next day, one friend being a vet in the middle of an operation when their arm went a bit weird. But more symptoms from the second dose, which sounded similar to what I had from Astra Zeneca from my first dose.
    Arm is a tiny bit sore but about the same as any other vaccine I have gotten, my nurse was good, didn't even feel it going in.
    AhHaor wrote: »
    Phonecall last night vaccine for sunday at James. Delighted
    Hope it went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Xofpod

CramCycle wrote: »
    By the sounds of it they are only rolling it out this week to St. James patients, so possibly just getting through the list, they only have X amount per day as well so it might be a case they have to a lot what they have and then wait for the next allotment to be signed off. Obviously I don't know your surname or you mine but alphabetically I am pretty early on, maybe they are just down the list a bit.

I have an appointment for the vaccine through James for tomorrow. Hopefully they'll get through the list fairly fast. It'll be Moderna (the edgy, hipster vaccine of choice...)
    I've heard a couple of reports of people having dead arms after the first dose but nothing serious. Follow up dose in 4 weeks. Can't wait.

• Advertisement

Xofpod wrote: »
    I have an appointment for the vaccine through James for tomorrow. Hopefully they'll get through the list fairly fast. It'll be Moderna (the edgy, hipster vaccine of choice...)
    I've heard a couple of reports of people having dead arms after the first dose but nothing serious. Follow up dose in 4 weeks. Can't wait.

Mine was Moderna, arm is a tiny bit sore but no worse than the annual flu vaccine which sometimes has the same effect, sometimes not. Bloods seem to be OK so far, nothing out of the ordainary.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

I got a text to register for my my first shot on Friday, not through my endo thought (Mater) but through my GP.

Apparently it will be the Pfizer shot.

More excited than I thought I would or should be!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Still waiting for word on mine, however my parents received notification of theirs - so happy days. My mam said I could take her place - as nice a gesture I’m not sure that’s how it works. :D

Mine was Moderna, arm is a tiny bit sore but no worse than the annual flu vaccine which sometimes has the same effect, sometimes not. Bloods seem to be OK so far, nothing out of the ordainary.

Same here. Slight pain in the arm today but nothing to write home about. No noticeable effect on bloods.

have to say I was very impressed with the HSE vaccination operation. Efficient, professional, good spacing, constant disinfection of all areas. The HSE get enough grief but (in my experience here in any case) they're doing a great job with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I am thinking of getting one of those circulation machines that you put your feet and legs into.

Has anyone on here got experience ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Galbin

Does anyone know if increasing your metformin dose can cause incredible fatigue? Have been on 1500 mg for PCOS for a long time, but it was increased to 2000 mg a few days ago. I constantly feel sleepy now despite sleeping longer at night and going to bed earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Has anyone in Cohort 7 been vaccinated from Tallaght hospital clinic yet ?
    Are they getting in touch with people or referring them for vaccination ?
    A family member ( Type 1) attends Tallaght hospital clinic and had heard nothing at all
    She did ring them and they asked about the HbAic which was not over 58

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

I don’t know anything about the Tallaght clinic but my hospital referred patients to the HSE list for cohort 4(>58 HbA1c just!). In the end I was called to my hospital one weekend as they had spare shots. I had previously queried my GP practice when it wasn’t clear about the roll out. Since then I had 2 calls from them too to get a vaccine.

I ramble on! So I’d suspect the larger hospitals create their cohort 4 & 7 lists and the HSE work through those. Some hospitals are doing their own ones too. However, it may be worth it for your relative to contact their GP too, as it appears that some of them are working through these cohorts too in parallel with the hospitals. In particular if they end up with spare shots to use, which no one wants to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Mumser wrote: »
    I don’t know anything about the Tallaght clinic but my hospital referred patients to the HSE list for cohort 4(>58 HbA1c just!). In the end I was called to my hospital one weekend as they had spare shots. I had previously queried my GP practice when it wasn’t clear about the roll out. Since then I had 2 calls from them too to get a vaccine.

I ramble on! So I’d suspect the larger hospitals create their cohort 4 & 7 lists and the HSE work through those. Some hospitals are doing their own ones too. However, it may be worth it for your relative to contact their GP too, as it appears that some of them are working through these cohorts too in parallel with the hospitals. In particular if they end up with spare shots to use, which no one wants to waste.

Thank you ,, great you got sorted .She rang both GP and clinic so hopefully one of them get in touch .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Has anyone in Cohort 7 been vaccinated from Tallaght hospital clinic yet ?
    Are they getting in touch with people or referring them for vaccination ?
    A family member ( Type 1) attends Tallaght hospital clinic and had heard nothing at all
    She did ring them and they asked about the HbAic which was not over 58
    I am unsure of the bands involved, but I am type 2, and Tallaght hospitals referred me, got a text for moderna in Citywest. Got text on Tuesday last week, jab number 1 on the Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

T1D and I've heard nothing since my AZ appointment was canceled on the day it was pulled for under 60s. From reading posts here, I guess the squeaky wheel gets the oil so I will start ringing GP and Consultants hospital to ask. I feel like I'm the last diabetic in Ireland to get offered a vaccine at this stage. May 1st tomorrow and still waiting 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uli84

Contact your GPs regarding vaccine

uli84 wrote: »
    Contact your GPs regarding vaccine
    I understood your consultant/clinic should refer you if its for a LTI. Regrettably though there are a lot of diabetics who aren't connected to a clinic based on posts on various social media platforms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uli84

Not sure to be honest, HSE website goes:

People at high risk aged 16 to 59

GPs will vaccinate people aged 59 and under in this group. It will take some time for GPs to identify and invite everyone.

How you will get your vaccine

GPs will contact their patients when it’s their turn to be vaccinated.

In my case the above was true

I only thought what I thought because everyone I know came through their clinic and got called in via their clinic referring them. Maybe there is more to it than that, most of the Diabetics I know locally were called into James and the Aviva. Certainly worth calling your team anyway to see can either side push it through to anyone waiting.

• Advertisement

There seems to be a number of different systems in operation and each organisation is setting their own procedure, On the day that I got the call via my clinic for a vaccine appointment, I also got a separate call from my GP offering to put me on a standby list for the next week's GP vaccination clinic.

Best policy I think is be the squeaky wheel - contact both your GP and clinic (if you're affiliated to one) and hopefully one of them will get to you asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I just got SMS notification of Pfizer jab for group 4, on a first come first served basis! Got AZ first dose April 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Thankfully got my first dose of Pfizer this week, got the phone call from the GP on Monday, sorted on Tuesday. Was advised by the missus to take a couple of panadol before and keep taking every 3-4 hours for the rest of the day, no Pain or Side effects whatsoever. Back in 4 weeks for the second one.
    Have to say it is a weight off of my mind, still need to be careful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

I got sick of waiting to be called through hospital clinic so rang my GP on Thursday and got called in on Friday for Pfizer vaccine. They had 3 doses going so was just lucky.

Needless to say was very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I only thought what I thought because everyone I know came through their clinic and got called in via their clinic referring them. Maybe there is more to it than that, most of the Diabetics I know locally were called into James and the Aviva. Certainly worth calling your team anyway to see can either side push it through to anyone waiting.

Folks here haven't been contacted by St. James yet :(

Folks here haven't been contacted by St. James yet :(
    Might be worth sending an email into the team there, they have definitely started.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Still waiting to hear from Beaumount, or GP. HSE said to contact GP, GP said to contact Hospital, Hospital said my name was put forward for Cohort 4 and have no control over rollout - and to, wait for it...contact my GP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Hi everyone, I have a question I hope you can help me with. I've been using the BD MicroFine 5mm needles for years but sometimes bruise or develop an insulin lump. I've been looking at the HSE approved medications for long-term illness and the 4mm BD MicroFine is not on it, but the Neon Verifine 4mm is.

Does anyone have any experience of the Verifine needles? I also can't find any information on their width, the BD 5mm are .25mm and I don't want to change if they're any thicker than that.

Any further info would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭banjobongo

hi
    I use BD 4mm needles from my local chemist, on the LTI, your local chemist should have them in stock, have you asked them?
    (I wouldnt want to go back to using 5mm needles!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

Hi everyone, I have a question I hope you can help me with. I've been using the BD MicroFine 5mm needles for years but sometimes bruise or develop an insulin lump. I've been looking at the HSE approved medications for long-term illness and the 4mm BD MicroFine is not on it, but the Neon Verifine 4mm

Any further info would be great!

I get 4mm BD micro fine ultra on my LTI book in several of my local chemists. I was told once before they're not on the list and I asked them to double check because I had gotten them in that same chemist previously. She was mistaken and gave me the 4mm, no issues since. I'd ask them to double check too and say you know people who have LTI books and get 4mm.

Advertisement