Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kia EV6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭cannco253

https://insideevs.com/news/505278/kia-33000-ev6-prospects-europe/

“It would indicate that this year, the South Korean manufacturer intends to deliver only about 10,000 units (11,000 to be precise) iun Europe. The production of the all-new Kia EV6 will start in mid-2021 (for both Europe and South Korea).

Let's recall that more than 1,000 reservations were reported in the UK alone (1,250 as of April 30).”

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Ricey3509

Saw this on Facebook:

The long-range battery ( short range not offered) which will give you up to 510km driving from a single charge is available with the following specification;

19” Alloys
    Vegan Leather Seats
    Drivers Power & Memory seats
    Passenger Power seat
    Heated seats & steering wheel
    Premium relaxation front seats
    LED Lamps
    Flush automatic Door Handle
    Navigation
    BCA (Blindspot collision avoidance assist)
    Power tailgate
    Subscription to Kia Charging Solutions – IONITY - Fast Charging
    EV6 Plus Long Range €47,525 (net of private customer EV Grants)

There will be an option available to further enhance the specification at an additional net cost of €4,000. This is our GT Line specification and will have the following additional features:

GT Line Pack
    20” Alloys
    Leather Suede seats
    Ventilated front seats
    PCA (Parking collision avoidance assist)
    RSPA (Remote Smart Parking Assist)
    SVM (Surround-view Monitor
    Head up display
    Sunroof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Not bad kit on the standard one, and at Model 3 SR+ money. Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭sumo12

Wow, €47k net of grants... that's pretty punchy. Will buy another turf burning Sportage so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

sumo12 wrote: »
    Wow, €47k net of grants... that's pretty punchy. Will buy another turf burning Sportage so!

For EV pricing it's fantastic though. €5k more than a 2020 eNiro for a bigger car on a dedicated platform, 50km + range, RWD, new model with latest styling and all the interior stuff as above.

€10k more than a new Sportage Black. Maybe an EV5 or EV4 hatch may come out next year and be competitive against Sportage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,708 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€10k more than a new Sportage Black.

Would be insane to buy a new diesel Sportage. It will have huge depreciation as there might be the odd stubborn fool still buying a diesel car new in 2022, nobody will anymore in 2026

The EV6 will be a much cheaper total cost of ownership car than the Sportage and that's just the financials

I hope the shorter range car is coming though, who really needs >500km of range (and is willing to pay a huge premium for it)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

unkel wrote: »
    Would be insane to buy a new diesel Sportage. It will have huge depreciation as there might be the odd stubborn fool still buying a diesel car new in 2022, nobody will anymore in 2026

The EV6 will be a much cheaper total cost of ownership car than the Sportage and that's just the financials

I hope the shorter range car is coming though, who really needs >500km of range (and is willing to pay a huge premium for it)?

Not me anyway. If we need a second car in years to come something like the Ceed Sportwagon PHEV would do. More EV estate cars would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

On website now Base 50k with heatpump, GT Line 54.5k.

bod71 wrote: »
    On website now Base 50k with heatpump, GT Line 54.5k.

What’s with the “join the waiting list” if it’s due in October ? Are you realistically looking at mid 2022 for delivery given Kia’s previous shortages with Irish deliveries?

There’s always something better just around the corner...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

For EV pricing it's fantastic though. €5k more than a 2020 eNiro for a bigger car on a dedicated platform, 50km + range, RWD, new model with latest styling and all the interior stuff as above.

€10k more than a new Sportage Black. Maybe an EV5 or EV4 hatch may come out next year and be competitive against Sportage.

Seen a few of the Sportage black models around. They are nice in some colours like red or blue but not so nice in all black.

QUOTE Would be insane to buy a new diesel Sportage. It will have huge depreciation as there might be the odd stubborn fool still buying a diesel car new in 2022, nobody will anymore in 2026

Would be insane to buy a new current model unless you get a great deal as a new Sportage is due out next year. I think they will hold there value well for a while yet do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭E30M3

Prices announced

€50,000 EV6

€54,345 GT-Line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Real-world view inside and out of it here (no drive):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmQ3_zKB-q8

I find the screens a bit much... Minimalism should mean not a plethora of colour everywhere but overall interesting design inside and out. In particularly, although classed as an SUV, it is little higher or wider than a LEAF (itself somewhat high for a hatchback).

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

E30M3 wrote: »
    Prices announced

€50,000 EV6

€54,345 GT-Line

Looks like Kia Ireland is trying to avoid the cut-off limit of €50k for business BIK exemptions, which doesn't bode well for good specs - I would expect quite a bit of Paddyfication of the spec to hit the target price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭carsfan2

pdpmur wrote: »
    Looks like Kia Ireland is trying to avoid the cut-off limit of €50k for business BIK exemptions, which doesn't bode well for good specs - I would expect quite a bit of Paddyfication of the spec to hit the target price.

https://mailchi.mp/kiaireland.ie/kia-ev6-pricing-specifications-announced-4416898?e=6ab0030173

spec looks very healthy to me. Decent value for what you get.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

pdpmur wrote: »

Businesses don't get the seai grant, so add 5k to that for the business price.

• Advertisement

I disagree - can't see second hand Sportage prices dropping for a considerable time, probably beyond the end of the next life cycle - the model that isn't even here yet.

€50k+ is unattainable for vast majority of new car purchasers, we paid €34k on 0% for our Sportage. Guaranteed there won't be 0% on EV6. I would think we would be looking at double our monthly repayments.

The only way any of this changes is with increased grants, tax changes or whatever. I'm so so far from being a stubborn fool, I'm absolutely an EV advocate, but it just doesn't add up presently.

I disagree - can't see second hand Sportage prices dropping for a considerable time

We'll agree to disagree on that. Anyone buying a new diesel car now needs their head examined imho :D And that's just from a financial viewpoint.

Bjorn Kia interior review
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OhLP-APNfQ

Drag coefficient 0.28 so same as the ID.4, will bring the range down a bit at higher speeds.

Ioniq 5 drag coefficient 0.288

Both not great. That's a missed opportunity to come close to the Teslas when it comes to long distance range at motorway speeds. And Hyundai started so well with the original Ioniq 5 years ago with a Cd of just 0.24, same as the Teslas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

cannco253 wrote: »
    Bjorn Kia interior review
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OhLP-APNfQ

Drag coefficient 0.28 so same as the ID.4, will bring the range down a bit at higher speeds.

Ioniq 5 drag coefficient 0.288
    Crap review. It was rushed and negative . Don't like him at all. He should go back to his Bentleys

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭ec_pc

I had a chat with the Kia dealership we always use yesterday regarding the EV6, bought my first car from him way back in the 90's.

So, there is lots of interest in this, I am number 20 on the list of inquiries in this dealership. Production has not started, they expect to get limited number of models very late this year with a view to sales for 2022. No idea on volumes that will be available for 2022. Given the significant interest, their view is this car will sell itself so don't expect significant discounts and certainly no 0% finance deals.

I received this follow up mail :
    Production is to start mid-July and we envisage taking hold of stock for sale approx. mid December for January 2022 sales. Numbers will be limited, so I advise to order early to avoid disappointment.

Pricing is as follows and is subject to change without notice.

EV6 77.4kw €56,500 less grant €5,000 cost €51,500
    EV6 GT-Line €60,845 less grant €5,000 cost €55,845

Seems pricey, and perhaps out of reach of many. I was considering a new Sorento until I saw the EV6. Sales guys said we would be crazy to buy a new diesel now as values in 3 years time will be disappointing when trading in. I tend to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

ec_pc wrote: »

EV6 77.4kw €56,500 less grant €5,000 cost €51,500
    EV6 GT-Line €60,845 less grant €5,000 cost €55,845
    [/INDENT]

AFAIK the grant for vehicles over €60k is gone from July 1st, and reduced from €5k to €2.5k for vehicles under €60k. If you manage to secure the grant before July 1st you can apply to the car after that period (think up to 4 months) but I believe you need the chassis number for that (heard mixed things on that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Both not great. That's a missed opportunity to come close to the Teslas when it comes to long distance range at motorway speeds. And Hyundai started so well with the original Ioniq 5 years ago with a Cd of just 0.24, same as the Teslas.

They are not bad either, apart from the large Tesla Model X with a very impressive 0.24 Cd. These large SUVs tend to struggle in this area compared to more "saloon shaped" cars like the Ioniq, Model S, Model 3, and Prius.

Overall these two large SUVs beat out the Cd of the Kona Electric, the e-Niro, the e-Soul and the Gen 1 Nissan Leaf.

AFAIK the grant for vehicles over €60k is gone from July 1st, and reduced from €5k to €2.5k for vehicles under €60k. If you manage to secure the grant before July 1st you can apply to the car after that period (think up to 4 months) but I believe you need the chassis number for that (heard mixed things on that)

Its reduced for PHEV's not for EV's

graememk wrote: »
    Its reduced for PHEV's not for EV's

Thanks for clarifying, And gone for both PHEV's and EV's €60k and over?

Thanks for clarifying, And gone for both PHEV's and EV's €60k and over?

AFAIK, Yes over 60k theres nothing.

there is no VRT relief over 50k either. (5 k up to 40k, then its pro rata's down)

graememk wrote: »
    AFAIK, Yes over 60k theres nothing.

there is no VRT relief over 50k either. (5 k up to 40k, then its pro rata's down)

Thanks, very useful to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

I wonder whether Tesla has got itself boxed into a sort of styling-drag coffin corner? I'm sure the big car manufacturers could quite easily get similar aero-efficient shapes but then they would have to make compromises on style, which none of them appear to want to do so far. Well, maybe Mercedes is prepared to do so with its EQS but the result is another rather generic shape.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Battery costs have come down considerably over the years so less emphasis on COD to extend range, regen improving too.

You do know Tesla made all their proprietary patents (apart from software) open source a number of years ago to speed progression to EVs, there's a lot of inverters/motors out there sitting on axles uncannily like a Telsa model for a reason.
    Kinda like when Volvo opened their safety belt patent back in the day...for the greater good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭McGiver

So is there consensus that this a "good value" for money?

• Advertisement

McGiver wrote: »
    So is there consensus that this a "good value" for money?

Relative to the specification and pricing of Ev's = Yes

Relative to ICE or PHEV = No*

* In My Opinion (before Unkel leps down my throat :D)

before Unkel leps down my throat :D

Now why would I do that? :D

Not so sure if €50k is good value for an EV6 / Ioniq 5. It's a lot of money. I feel there are only a handful of EVs that are good value for money now, the MGs (if can live with their faults), did someone here buy a new €25k Leaf? Perhaps the MINI, the BMW i3 120Ah and the Tesla Model 3 Performance.

50k is a bit pricey for RWD EV6. I was hoping for AWD for that price really. 45k would be more realistic for this ID.4 equivalent car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Is the GT making an appearance here?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

Is the GT making an appearance here?

Yes according to my local dealer.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Seriously considering an EV6 now again after a bad experience in a Tesla Model 3 test drive. Current e-Niro owner so the EV6's extra range and faster charging are huge draws to me given I commute up and down to Donegal (in non-pandemic times) a lot and I'll be going camping a lot more in future.

Few questions if anyone knows:
    • Any ideas on whether the car has wireless carplay support? I saw there is a much better positioned wireless charger on the EV6 so I'm hopeful.
    • Do we know when we might start seeing this with car reviewers on YouTube (given IONIC 5 seems to be well covered at this stage).
    • Heads Up display wise, does this require using the KIA nav or can this use Google Maps etc via Carplay/Android Auto?

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Seriously considering an EV6 now again after a bad experience in a Tesla Model 3 test drive.

Do tell :D

Do tell :D

All down to autopilot really. I’ve watched enough videos over the years to know how to engage it and what roads it’s meant for but it kept disengaging every 10 seconds - hands on the wheel, light pressure. Hearing that on some bits of the motorway “oh it just does that” on here too hasn’t installed much confidence either.

It’s a gorgeous car that felt great to drive but so much of the price is baked into the software and honestly driving home in the e-Niro was such a more relaxing experience. LKA, LFA and Smart Cruise control just work so well on it.

I’m looking for more range/faster charging with personal circumstances so that’s why the EV6 is back on the shortlist.

• Advertisement

All down to autopilot really. I’ve watched enough videos over the years to know how to engage it and what roads it’s meant for but it kept disengaging every 10 seconds - hands on the wheel, light pressure.

That certainly is not normal, something must have been wrong with that car. Unless you mean by light pressure that you barely touched it. It does need to be convinced you are holding the steering wheel, otherwise it will prompt you. Same in the system in use by Kia / Hyundai

If you really don't like having to touch the steering wheel regularly, there are ways to achieve that :p

That certainly is not normal, something must have been wrong with that car. Unless you mean by light pressure that you barely touched it. It does need to be convinced you are holding the steering wheel, otherwise it will prompt you. Same in the system in use by Kia / Hyundai

If you really don't like having to touch the steering wheel regularly, there are ways to achieve that :p

To be honest I prefer to have both hands on the wheel in case of anything happening - not totally trusting of any system right now so I tried holding it the same way I'd hold the wheel in my e-Niro, lighter pressure, harder pressure - kept disengaging.

The Tesla rep said he couldn't find anything wrong with it but absolutely didn't feel up to scratch with Kia's implementation in my 45 minutes with the car.

Do we know if the GT line we're getting in Ireland is all wheel drive or rear wheel drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Birka

Do we know if the GT line we're getting in Ireland is all wheel drive or rear wheel drive?

its RWD

Its just an upgraded trim level - no performance difference worth mentioning

Birka wrote: »
    its RWD

Its just an upgraded trim level - no performance difference worth mentioning

Sweet. I saw that the AWD model would get a 5-10% hit on range most likely so that's great to hear. EVs are already quick enough for me tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭icom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 MeadowMaker

icom wrote: »

Definitely prefer the overall design of this over the Ioniq5.

Deposit down on a GT-line, wish me luck!

Deposit down on a GT-line, wish me luck!

What's the auto driving like in the Kia's do you know?
    I noticed you weren't that impressed with the Tesla system.

I have a Nissan Leaf with the propilot and find it great for motor way driving. It's limited of course to certain types of roads but it's such a relaxing way to get somewhere.

What's the auto driving like in the Kia's do you know?
    I noticed you weren't that impressed with the Tesla system.

I have a Nissan Leaf with the pro pilot and find it great for motorway driving. It's limited of course to certain types of roads but it's such a relaxing way to get somewhere.

I have a 2019 e-Niro and the auto-driving in it is great in my opinion.

- Smart Cruise Control works on basically any road and is so nice for stop-start traffic. It'll auto-hold you once you come to a stop and it's fairly easy to change your follow distance using the buttons on the steering wheel. It's not bulletproof, typically if I'm going from 60KMPH to a stop I'll disengage it and use the re-gen paddle or brakes to come to a halt because there have been odd vehicles it didn't recognise (like a truck carrying gas canisters). It is manual, it's not like Tesla where it'll read the speed limit signs using cameras but it's never felt like a hassle. Acceleration/deceleration is pretty smooth with it on too.

- Lane Follow/Keep assist typically kicks in when you're in SCC on a national/motorway road - anywhere it can reliably read the lines at speed. It's nice, it doesn't bounce me across the lanes and follows gradual curves of the road well. I'm not one to take my hands off the wheel but it certainly takes the stress out of driving long distances and makes it easier to maybe tap the screen to add a new destination or drink a coffee while you're driving and the roads clear.

I believe the Kia EV6 GT-line has 360 cameras and will allow the car to park itself while you're in it which is handy for someone like me who hates parking a big car like that. I would assume they've probably improved the reliability of the auto-drive features too but that's the only new feature like that I've heard of right now.

That's basically it. I don't have things like Summon, Auto-Lane change, auto-taking the off-ramp, etc but honestly, I don't feel like I'm missing out on much given every single auto-drive system is driver assistance and not a replacement.

...and you can upgrade the Kia's system to the much more advanced Open Pilot system from comma.ai. This costs about a grand for the hardware and it can easily be fitted DIY in a few minutes. Here's a guy somewhere in continental Europe driving his eNiro with this system for hundreds of km on a motorway only touching the steering wheel to change the speed on his cruise control or to indicate (the car will then do automatic lane changes)

This system is comparable to Tesla's AutoPilot and nothing else out there comes even close. But unlike the Tesla system, Open Pilot does not suffer from phantom braking and the lane keeping is better when there are no lane markings. Also, unlike the Tesla system, there is no nagging, you do not need to keep touching the steering wheel. Instead a driver facing camera monitors if the driver is paying attention.

• Advertisement
Advertisement