Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan Harris terminated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Despise the guy but don't agree with this, personally. People getting fired for off the clock behaviour is a very disturbing trend in my view. Your employers' right to an opinion on your life ends when your shift ends, as far as I'm concerned. What he did on Twitter is none of the Sindo's business and this kind of thing shouldn't be allowed.

Hurrache wrote: »
    He's nobodies man but his own. If he advocated for one person over another, it was because he disliked that person less than the other.

If you think he's an FF'er, FF didn't know it themselves due to what he wrote.

He’s as deranged as the most vehement telegraph commentator. Why do we produce irish people who, abandoning irish nationalism - which is fine, become ultra unionists?

And remember he used to be a communist. He might still be a communist if the wall hasn’t fallen. He was a communist - and basically a Stalinist - when the crimes of communism were well known. These are the marks of a fanatic.

emo72 wrote: »
    As a hurler sitting in the ditch, now I pledge no allegiances to any side, I always wondered how he got any platform. He's as mad as a bag of spiders inside a bag of frogs.

It shouldn't be any mystery, the same newspaper that hired Alison "I signed away my life for an apartment" O'Riordan doesn't exactly vet candidates. Shrill chancers with rampaging inferiority complexes are guaranteed a golden ticket. Recycled the same "shinner this, shinner that" article for years, getting increasingly agitated as the narrow corridors of a troubled mind closed in. The sock puppet show had very few takers, and his humiliating departure won't be lamented.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

He’s as deranged as the most vehement telegraph commentator. Why do we produce irish people who, abandoning irish nationalism - which is fine, become ultra unionists?

And remember he used to be a communist. He might still be a communist if the wall hasn’t fallen. He was a communist - and basically a Stalinist - when the crimes of communism were well known. These are the marks of a fanatic.

Essentially, British nationalism gives them the outlet for extreme far right views that Ireland cannot provide

What's bizarre, particularly regarding FG, is how anti-Catholic their British/loyalists fellow travellers are and how this is tolerated by Blueshirts

No self respect I guess

Despise the guy but don't agree with this, personally. People getting fired for off the clock behaviour is a very disturbing trend in my view. Your employers' right to an opinion on your life ends when your shift ends, as far as I'm concerned. What he did on Twitter is none of the Sindo's business and this kind of thing shouldn't be allowed.

Did you see the harassment? I would have agreed until that. A burner account isn’t a big deal, what’s done with it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

McMurphy wrote: »
    B

He's a FFer through and through FFS.

Only because he sees them as the staunchest opponents of SF/IRA. If they turn best buds with SF (as they are shaping up to do post-Martin) he will become their bitterest enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Seems like there is a pair of them in it.

https://twitter.com/christineomg5/status/1390441047713587201

Independent vindictive and odd. And she managed to spin it to make it seem worse?

Needed counselling come off it....

She sounds like she enjoying her time as the 'victim'.

--

Pair of them in it as far as I am concerned. I did not realise politicos were:

1) So childish
    2) So sensitive
    3) So attention seeking

-

It is like something out of one of those annoying 'reality tv shows'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

The Independent. How anyone reads that and considers it impartial is beyond me.

The Irish Times. How anyone reads that and considers it impartial is beyond me.

RTE radio and television. How anyone, you get the drill.

So let me tell you about my plan for an impartial newspaper, let's call it Pravda. I like that title.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Seems like there is a pair of them in it.

Has the content of the tweet you've linked to by Aoife Moore triggered something in you? What way are you reading it exactly?

emo72 wrote: »
    The Independent. How anyone reads that and considers it impartial is beyond me.

The Irish Times. How anyone reads that and considers it impartial is beyond me.

RTE radio and television. How anyone, you get the drill.

So let me tell you about my plan for an impartial newspaper, let's call it Pravda. I like that title.

No media is impartial they all have agendas (even boards.ie). The Independent's was abundantly clear. And it even annoyed me I am not a SF supporter, but it did get farcical at times. They looked for angles where there was not one or invented ones that might be happening. It might have well have been a boards.ie thread instead of journalism.

However, the cynic in me thinks that the journalist Aoife Moore from The Examiner will now write a book/piece/article etc about her 'trauma' and maybe even end up on dancing with the stars or the like??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

fvp4 wrote: »

He turned his coat so many times, nobody knows which is the inside and which is the outside.

Started off a republican, then an anti-republican communist, then an anti-communist blueshirt, then an Ulster unionist, finally FF. And I've prolly missed a stop or two there.

How anybody could ever have taken such a dangerous flip flopper and mé féiner seriously is beyond me.

Has the content of the tweet you've linked to by Aoife Moore triggered something in you? What way are you reading it exactly?

I don't use silly Teenage American Internet language like 'triggered'.

The way I read it was the indo acted like compete eejits(even more than usual) and pushed it too far.

Moore conflated those tweets together, to make them sound a lot worse than they they are individually and in context.

Moore than made sure to mention she had to go to 'counselling' as a result.

Over a few tweets? They did not seem very vicious or particularly upsetting.
    I have seen far worse stuff 'let go' on boards.ie!

How many counselling sessions would it take to solve a couple of tweets?
    She sounds like an Eoghan Harris 2.0 attention seeking in her own way except doing it the passive aggressive way.

That is how I am reading the whole scenario, with just a quick perusal of the tweets in question and Moore's reaction to them.

Plus I think the Indo were afraid of been sued, so dropped Harris like a hot cake.

I don't use silly Teenage American Internet language like 'triggered'.

The way I read it was the indo acted like compete eejits(even more than usual) and pushed it too far.

Moore conflated those tweets together, to make them sound a lot worse than they they are individually and in context.

Moore than made sure to mention she had to go to 'counselling' as a result.

Over a few tweets? They did not seem very vicious or particularly upsetting.
    I have seen far worse stuff 'let go' on boards.ie!

How many counselling sessions would it take to solve a couple of tweets?
    She sounds like an Eoghan Harris 2.0 attention seeking in her own way except doing it the passive aggressive way.

That is how I am reading the whole scenario, with just a quick perusal of the tweets in question and Moore's reaction to them.

You ok with a male journalist asking a female journalist if she was turned on? Do you think he would do that in a non burner account?

You ok with a male journalist asking a female journalist if she was turned on? Do you think he would do that in a non burner account?

No I don't. But it was not said in a sexual way but a sarcastic political jibe. Similar to much of the crap I have seen on board.ie politics threads - from all parties.

The one about the 'arse' was definitely conflated when read in context for example. It was not that they said her arse was big. As Moore implied. It was arse in the air sniping behind the bushes I believe the phrase was. Completely different when read in context.

Moore is definitely milking this for all it is worth. Not that I am sad that Harris had been dumped. He was a bit of an arse himself!

It will be interesting to see what direction the Independent take now going forwards. Because I have not take them seriously in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

JamesFlynn wrote: »
    What a terrible lie to tell.

"Branding Kevin Myers as either an anti-Semite or a Holocaust denier was an absolute distortion of the facts, according to the Jewish Representative Council of Ireland. "
    Source :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/jewish-council-in-ireland-comes-to-defence-of-kevin-myers-1.3172216

This.

Plus whatever one might think about Myers’ opinions, at least he has a record of intellectual consistency. Harris wouldn’t be fit to lace his boots.

No I don't. But it was not said in a sexual way but a sarcastic political jibe. Similar to much of the crap I have seen on board.ie politics threads - from all parties.

It would be an infraction here but we are not in the public eye.
    The one about the 'arse' was definitely conflated when read in context for example. It was not that they said her arse was big. As Moore implied. It was arse in the air sniping behind the bushes I believe the phrase was. Completely different when read in context.

Moore is definitely milking this for all it is worth. Not that I am sad that Harris had been dumped. He was a bit of an arse himself!

It will be interesting to see what direction the Independent take now going forwards. Because I have not take them seriously in years.

Well who knows if that is all it is. Remember he made the account female, sniping at a female by a female doesn’t sound as sexually charged. That was deliberate.

I doubt we’ve seen the end of the tweets from this account either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Moore conflated those tweets together, to make them sound a lot worse than they they are individually and in context ... Moore than made sure to mention she had to go to 'counselling' as a result ... How many counselling sessions would it take to solve a couple of tweets? ... She sounds like an Eoghan Harris 2.0 attention seeking in her own way except doing it the passive aggressive way ... That is how I am reading the whole scenario, with just a quick perusal of the tweets in question and Moore's reaction to them.

So your primary concern from all this is that Aoife Moore might be unscrupulous and capitalise on being harassed by a 78 year old troll?

Seek help.

It would be an infraction here but we are not in the public eye.

Well who knows if that is all it is. Remember he made the account female, sniping at a female by a female doesn’t sound as sexually charged. That was deliberate.

I doubt we’ve seen the end of the tweets from this account either.

I am only going on Moore's only summary of the tweets she received in a tweet which was linked in an earlier post.
    I am surmising that Moore will only have mentioned those tweets which will give maximum impact. As the impression I get is she is far from a clueless individual. It could be career defining for her if she plays it right.

As for Harris.
    The whole scenario is really odd has a bang off Student Union politics about it - gone too far. They thought they were been funny and smart.

Harris is pushing 80 and has never grown out of the 'student union' politics vibe as far as I can see. Because plenty of the stuff written in the Indo was of the same slant - 'look how edgy/funny and oblique our digs are' etc. Non-stop at times.

I think I remember I commented on another thread a number of years ago (2014) where I was giving out about the number of Anti-SF articles in the Indo. Most of which were infantile and/or hypothetical.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92975895&postcount=20

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92975938&postcount=22

It got to silly levels.

So your primary concern from all this is that Aoife Moore might be unscrupulous and capitalise on being harassed by a 78 year old troll?

Seek help.

No I think there is a pair of them in both playing a game.
    And she is trying to captialise on it clearly. When you read her synopsis tweet - my initial reaction was - jayus that is terrible poor girl.

But then I read the tweets in context I lost some sympathy for her, very quickly.
    I don't have sympathy for Harris either by the way.

Moore seems like a very clever woman more power to her. I think she knows exactly what she is doing. She is a 21st century young journalist after all.

I suppose I better go to counselling now after being told to 'seek help' is that the way the world works now? I could start a thread going on about my 'journey' and how Junkyard Tom was the catalyst! :D

Ok I admit I am a cynical git. But I do not think this furore is as big as it pretends to be. There are agendas at play on all sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

If you read the actual tweets that she is complaining about, it's hard to agree with her interpretation.

So why is she interpreting the tweets in that way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

What's the headline for this story?

"Indo Put a Sock in Eoghan Harris Sock Puppet!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Like his old mate Myers, you wonder how someone who's been in the game that long could do something so stupidly self-destructive. I suppose a certain reckless can come with age...

It's not that much of a surprise when you consider his past form. This short clip sums up his breath taking arrogance and complete lack of self awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭jmcc

In his next Sindo column, he will outline how Twitter is a nasty Shinner plot to... Oh well! Maybe not. Seriously though, it looks like he may have gone too far and Mediahuis (the new owners of the IN&M) have a brand to protect. Seems that a few Twitter accounts have been suspended.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

It's not that much of a surprise when you consider his past form. This short clip sums up his breath taking arrogance and complete lack of self awareness.

What a ****in idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 36,132 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Good riddance

Heartbreaking news. Such a gentle soul, soft spoken and kind; now demonized, vandalized and in the final cruel blow to all that is good, silenced.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He has always been a deeply unwell man.

Intelligent, no doubt but verging on a personality disorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

storker wrote: »
    Similarly, I always felt that he basically had one story: "I hate SF". Not that there's anything wrong with expressing that sentiment, but when it becomes the only story a journalist has, and inevitably gets dragged into his musings on even unrelated subjects, you start seeing that the column is less a piece of analysis than a psychological outlet.

You're right. He should have been fired years ago for the Unionist tripe he peddled every week. However anyone, no matter how good a columnist, would have been fired over this. Trolling and harrassing other journalists is not something any newspaper could condone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Anyone know how he was outed yet? Must've gotten sloppy somehow..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭jmcc

McMurphy wrote: »
    Anyone know how he was outed yet? Must've gotten sloppy somehow..
    Apparently on comment went too far and there was legal action over a tweet.

https://krw-law.ie/statement-paul-larkin/

From the Indo itself:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/eoghan-harris-dropped-as-sunday-independent-columnist-over-fake-twitter-account-40395774.html

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement