Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

1119120121122123125»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I was going to get the copper coil now I'm put off :pac:

My friend has it and loves it. She can't use hormonal contraception due to a medical condition, she loves the fact that she is not filling her body with drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

I'm on week 3 of my period. Its not getting any lighter, or easing any way at all, its very very heavy.
    over the last few years I'd sometimes have 2 periods in a month, and mine would average between 4 and 8 days long, but I'm on day 23 now. My sleeping is completely erratic too, I could fall asleep at 11. Sleep for 1.5hrs and thats me for the night, or I'll fall asleep at 6 and need to get up at 8. I'm absolutely exhausted. I have a TL done,since 2012, and had no issues until about 2 years ago.
    Any ideas?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I'm on week 3 of my period. Its not getting any lighter, or easing any way at all, its very very heavy.
    over the last few years I'd sometimes have 2 periods in a month, and mine would average between 4 and 8 days long, but I'm on day 23 now. My sleeping is completely erratic too, I could fall asleep at 11. Sleep for 1.5hrs and thats me for the night, or I'll fall asleep at 6 and need to get up at 8. I'm absolutely exhausted. I have a TL done,since 2012, and had no issues until about 2 years ago.
    Any ideas?

We can't really offer any medical advice. If I was in your situation I would certainly be making an appointment to see my GP.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Any recommendations for reliable places to buy bras online. I'm in dire need but never bought anything other than sports bra online which is always fine but day to day bras are different, I usually try on numerous different sizes/styles to get one that fits well and haven't bought any in at least 18 months now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Any recommendations for reliable places to buy bras online. I'm in dire need but never bought anything other than sports bra online which is always fine but day to day bras are different, I usually try on numerous different sizes/styles to get one that fits well and haven't bought any in at least 18 months now :(

Belle Femme in Kilkenny are doing video consultations

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I used always use Figleaves, but it has now been taken over by Simply Be (simplybe.ie) so I can't speak from experience about how it is. You should be able to order from Bravissimo - they're UK based so there's always a risk of customs and charges due to Brexit. But they have an online chat function that is super helpful to ask about different bras.

It's a lot of work, but it might be worth using https://www.bratabase.com/ once you've found a bra you think you like the look of. The reviews there really help with sizing, especially as all brands have their own quirks in sizing.

You can also go down the route of really figuring out the finer details of your breasts that most of us don't even think of - roots, projection, where they're fullest etc. That can help you understand the fundamentals of why certain styles never fit correctly, etc. I used www.reddit.com/r/abrathatfits to learn about all of that.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Simply Be are a bit of a pain in the arse - delivery can be quite slow even to the UK! Part of the student discount though is next day delivery which does help.

Anyone here got kyleena or skyla IUD? Doctor was recommending them to me as alternatives to copper coil as they've lower hormones than mirena.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,348 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Any recommendations for razor burn cuts in my lady garden, sore and itchy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for razor burn cuts in my lady garden, sore and itchy

Tip 1, don't shave!! Absolutely the worst thing you can do for hair removal in that area.

Tip 2, eye cream. Designed for sensitive area and healing. Go for a simple one, moisturising, NO retinol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 beansie

Had my cervical check a few weeks ago and during it they found a couple of cervical polyps and ectropion, so I've been referred for colposcopy for further examination/removal. (The smear has since come back with no HPV found) I'm 28.

I got a referral letter from the Rotunda and the waiting list is 1 year minimum. I'm a bit unsure about just leaving it for an indefinite amount of time since there's some discomfort and most sources I've seen suggest that they should be removed, even though they're usually benign. (And I have been on a "1 year" hospital waiting list for an unrelated matter for around 3 years now!) My grandmother died of cervical cancer in her 30s and while I know it's not usually genetic, it's on my mind a bit.

Has anyone else waited as long for a polyp removal? Alternatively, has anyone had the removal done privately? Just trying to decide what to do so any advice is very welcome! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Hi everyone, wondering if anyone has experienced this and can give some advice?
    Since 2015 ive had very irregular periods. In 2015 I went 9 months without a period then it came back and was normal for about a year or so (I think but cant quite remember) In the last 2 years or so its been stopping and starting like this, last year I didnt have a period from March to August, had a period in August and September then it stopped again. I think I got one around November then nothing until January of this year, they were very regular up until March and I havnt had one since.
    I get the signs that my period is coming, my boobs get really sore around the time it should arrive but nothing happens.

In 2015 when this first started I went to the doctor about it but he said im probably pregnant, I knew I wasnt but he insisted I was, did pregnancy test, obviously it showed I wasnt pregnant. He sent me for blood tests but everything came back normal including hormones. He referred me to a gynecologist but the waiting list was 2 - 4 years long and I didnt keep the appointment because my periods came back and seemed normal.
    Has anyone experiences the same? Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think that's a medical issue and the only advice I would have is go back to your GP, or find another one who's more informed about women's health.

There might be a variety of reasons, like being underweight, very stressed, etc, but it could be something more serious that would need further investigations so I'd be insisting on a referral to a gynaecologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ladybird25

Since 2015 ive had very irregular periods. In 2015 I went 9 months without a period then it came back and was normal for about a year or so (I think but cant quite remember) In the last 2 years or so its been stopping and starting like this, last year I didnt have a period from March to August, had a period in August and September then it stopped again. I think I got one around November then nothing until January of this year, they were very regular up until March and I havnt had one since.
    I get the signs that my period is coming, my boobs get really sore around the time it should arrive but nothing happens.

In 2015 when this first started I went to the doctor about it but he said im probably pregnant, I knew I wasnt but he insisted I was, did pregnancy test, obviously it showed I wasnt pregnant. He sent me for blood tests but everything came back normal including hormones. He referred me to a gynecologist but the waiting list was 2 - 4 years long and I didnt keep the appointment because my periods came back and seemed normal.

Definetely need to insist on the doctor to look into this. I had a similar issue, on and off with my period until I got to the gynecologist did an ultrasound, saw some cysts, then he made a hormone testing (on the first day of the period) and he diagnosed PCOS to myself.

It's only one of the possible responses you may get back, it could be any other kind of amenorrhea and it's important to know what's going on in your body.

Guessing you're not on any form of contraception? My periods only started coming monthly around when I turned 30...before that it was roughly once every 3 months. If you're getting pms anyway sounds like something is definitely wrong.

I could change doctors. My previous GP was extremely dismissive. I went to her for abdominal / bowel issues, excruiating, stabbing pains and of course they asked about my period. When she asked me when my last period was (it would have been about 3 months then) she looked at me as if I was thick and I just said I'm not pregnant (It would have been a ****ing miraculous pregnancy at the time if I was, either that or the longest gestation period on the planet :pac:) but she completely dismissed me on this basis. It was only when I got a younger doctor one time when she was off that I actually got examined, listened to and referred for further investigation.

I've since changed GP practices and have had 3 different doctors in the one I'm in now and my god the difference between them and her and my previous male doctor, is unreal. They listen, they're compassionate, they offer advice and alternatives. You actually want to go to the doctor just for the chats. :D

Periods are such a bloody complex thing but when they are not right it is an indicator that something is wrong IMO. If you can go somewhere else, do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Guessing you're not on any form of contraception? My periods only started coming monthly around when I turned 30...before that it was roughly once every 3 months. If you're getting pms anyway sounds like something is definitely wrong.

I could change doctors. My previous GP was extremely dismissive. I went to her for abdominal / bowel issues, excruiating, stabbing pains and of course they asked about my period. When she asked me when my last period was (it would have been about 3 months then) she looked at me as if I was thick and I just said I'm not pregnant (It would have been a ****ing miraculous pregnancy at the time if I was, either that or the longest gestation period on the planet :pac:) but she completely dismissed me on this basis. It was only when I got a younger doctor one time when she was off that I actually got examined, listened to and referred for further investigation.

I've since changed GP practices and have had 3 different doctors in the one I'm in now and my god the difference between them and her and my previous male doctor, is unreal. They listen, they're compassionate, they offer advice and alternatives. You actually want to go to the doctor just for the chats. :D

Periods are such a bloody complex thing but when they are not right it is an indicator that something is wrong IMO. If you can go somewhere else, do.

Thanks, I find getting to the bottom of anything thats wrong with me is a rigmarole and I always end up no wiser as to whats going on with me. Ill consider changing GP. Thanks for you help.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PinkChick

I had prolapse repair surgery last year. It has improved it and I no longer have the issue. I have not being doing my exercises and am starting to notice some relapse, particularly in the days leading up to my period. I would be interested to know if anyone has successfully done pelvic floor exercises, to a point where they saw a difference. I have been with physio and I know what I need to do. For some reason I'm finding it hard to do it. I've found that the surgery has really impacted on me mentally, I had some complications after it that really scared me and have made me very health anxious since. I would really like to hear experiences from people of what pelvic floor exercises programs worked for them. How often did you do it, how long until you saw a difference etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Has anyone used a Tens device for period pain & did it help ?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,348 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone recommend a good bikini trimmer shaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭galwayhooker

Anyone ever had an operation for fibroid removal? I am early 40s and have no kids. I have gained weight in last few years and blamed a bloated belly for weight gain. Went for a routine health check up with a doctor yesterday. He did an ultrasound on my ovaries area and a fibroid that is quite large (9 cm) showed up. Never knew what they were until after so much googling. He has referred me for an MRSI with an oncologist in a local private clinic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Hi, did you follow up on this. A few years ago I had an MRI on my hip in an Emergency department. The doctor came back and said he spotted some fibroids too and sent to to a gynae. I've 3 fibroids and she assured me they were quiet harmless and would actually shrink once I hit menopause, I'm 55 now. I had no knowledge I had them and they caused no problems. The only thing they did is were one is located it prevented full evacuation of menstrual blood as it sort of formed a pouch and the start of my next period was this stale blood. I was told if I had any changes or weight gain to go back but I've no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭galwayhooker

Thanks for reply. No response from doc/ consultant yet - been nearly three weeks now. I am on hols so will get in contact with doctor when home. I’m on private insurance- hate to think the delay if we’re public.

Advertisement