Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

I think what I'll remember is that when push came to shove, the US was willing to just cut off supplies to friends and neighbours. I realise most of that began in the Trump era, but there's been absolutely zero effort to wind it back and now it looks like CureVac, which is a European product, will be slow to launch because of those same policies.

Global efforts, yeah... indeed.

If nothing else, it shows that Europe, Canada and others cannot really depend on the US and need to ensure they're entirely able to produce essential products like these entirely independently.

You've US multinationals going around hoovering up smaller companies and then the whole thing seems to have been turned into a lack of global vision as soon as it suited.

If anything came across in this to me, it's that the EU needs to stop naively assuming that countries have friends. It seems many only have interests. You can't really assume solidarity from places that clearly aren't open to that kind of thinking.

Supply chains matter and it's a very clear demonstration of why that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭trellheim

Last week a new high for vaccinations : 206,583

Previous high was the previous week so 189602 up 18,000 or so long may it continue

Also last Friday 29 april best day so far 44,935 beating previous high 42756

yAIgwBA.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Washington DC are using free beer and no appointment necessary to get the "not sures" and "could not be bothered" out for a vaccine.

https://twitter.com/MayorBowser/status/1389636383443197954

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

I thought today that registration for vaccinations in Ireland was for 59 year olds. A family member who is 53, boasting that they registered on the HSE vaccination website this morning. Is this possible? Is this unfair on other 50+ people waiting to register in the correct order ... or does this have any negative impact at all on the system in place?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Golfwidow wrote: »
    I thought today that registration for vaccinations in Ireland was for 59 year olds. A family member who is 53, boasting that they registered on the HSE vaccination website this morning. Is this possible? Is this unfair on other 50+ people waiting to register in the correct order ... or does this have any negative impact at all on the system in place?
    Yes they appear to open it up for the entire age range and ask people to wait for their turn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

This was possible with the previous group too, HSE tweeted yesterday that it will make no difference as they will go by age anyway, they are asking people to register on certain days so the system doesn’t crash I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yeah there's nothing to stop people registering. They ask for one age group at a time to stagger demand on the site.

It's aged based rollout so they won't get called any quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

It’s grand - it’s a registration. But they should not (geographical variations aside) be vaccinated ahead of 54 years olds but should be ahead of the 52 year olds. They will also be waiting longer between registration and vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

JTMan wrote: »
    Washington DC are using free beer and no appointment necessary to get the "not sures" and "could not be bothered" out for a vaccine.

If only they did that in Belfast. There would be queues up the M1.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ll31

New Jersey have similar, Get your 1st shot in may, get a free shot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Just found this tweet below the one posted above about the variants. Some bigwig journalist /editor freaking people out about variants. Great to see people telling him to get real and stop the scaremongering. It's not about Ireland, but the UK, where they are doing very well.

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1389214988389212160

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

So what is the vaccine type available for the 50’s group, is it 100% AZ only or will some get BioNtech Pfizer, J&J or Moderna, are we waiting on any deliveries for this cohort or are we ready to go with enough vaccine landed & ready for distribution?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

So what is the vaccine type available for the 50’s group, is it 100% AZ only or will some get BioNtech Pfizer, J&J or Moderna, are we waiting on any deliveries for this cohort or are we ready to go with enough vaccine landed & ready for distribution?

the message is very much whatever is available although i guess most likely AZ first - we should hear soon enough over next couple of days from the 59,58,57 yr olds as they get appointment confirmations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I think it's all four available - I got Pfizier I'm 52 group 7 - I think in some areas groups 4&7 are being called by GP and age wise and otherwise healthy are been called to centres. You will be told which vaccine it is when given your appointment.

You can register online at any age in the 50-59 category but you are seen according to age and in some cases (my OH is group 4) you may get a quicker appointment. He registered age wise but was called perhaps a week earlier than others his age. I assumed maybe the PPS number gives clues about cohort 4.

Realistically for the 50s who register this week they aren't going to start for a few weeks yet. Wouldn't expect them to start to be given appointments until around mid May.

There's plenty of 60-65 still to get through in the MVCs. When the bulk of the 60s are nearly done we'll probably see the 50s starting to get appointments for MVC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

We're a long way from needing to do that as we're at a much earlier stage in vaccinations and the pace is slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Don't blame Donnelly for that. NIAC should either recommend it for U50s or not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,186 ✭✭✭✭km79

Stheno wrote: »
    Yes they appear to open it up for the entire age range and ask people to wait for their turn

I was wondering about that last night when I heard . Is there anything to stop anyone of any age registering then! Nothing would suprise me with the HSE involved

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Could we not just do what the Germans are doing with AZ? Anyone under 50 can have AZ/J&J as long as they give informed consent, perhaps having spoken to a medical professional first (e.g. GP or pharmacist). I’m sure they would be plenty of people willing to get vaccinated in this way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Don't blame Donnelly for that. NIAC should either recommend it for U50s or not at all.

Whole thing is an awful mess

Stheno wrote: »
    Whole thing is an awful mess
    It's ridiculous. It's either safe or not, there can't be an in between

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

there is, its called a curve

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Russman

It’s ridiculous alright, but of course there can be an in between, depending on the circumstances a country is in. I think it was Glynn said it in one of his last pressers before Tony came back, that were we in a situation like we were back in January, there wouldn’t be a restriction on AZ, but because we’re in a much better place, we can afford to be cautious, or words to that effect.

Russman wrote: »
    It’s ridiculous alright, but of course there can be an in between, depending on the circumstances a country is in. I think it was Glynn said it in one of his last pressers before Tony came back, that were we in a situation like we were back in January, there wouldn’t be a restriction on AZ, but because we’re in a much better place, we can afford to be cautious, or words to that effect.
    I disagree to be honest. Creates confusion in a time where the least amount of confusion possible is required.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I disagree to be honest. Creates confusion in a time where the least amount of confusion possible is required.
    I actually think the way we (and the EU) have handled AZ is manna from Heaven for the anti-vaxxers. Any doubt is pounced upon and treated as something serious when it's been very clear all along that the benefits vastly outweigh any perceived risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Russman

I can see where you’re coming from, absolutely, but I guess it’s down to the balance between a country’s level of “desperation” (for want of a better word) and appetite for risk. I think it’s reasonable to say the more desperate you are, the more risk you’ll take.

I suppose it was evident to a degree in the logic behind the AZ restriction. I can’t remember the exact numbers but wasn’t it that you’re something like 85 times more likely to die from covid than the vaccine in your 60s, and only 12 times more likely in your 40s. Something like that anyway. Clearly they’re much different levels of risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Beasty wrote: »
    I actually think the way we (and the EU) have handled AZ is manna from Heaven for the anti-vaxxers. Any doubt is pounced upon and treated as something serious when it's been very clear all along that the benefits vastly outweigh any perceived risks.

But then you have Denmark coming out with statements like "“the benefits of using the Covid-19 vaccine from Johnson & Johnson do not outweigh the risk of causing the possible adverse effect in those who receive the vaccine”."

So it's not just the way AZ was handled. When an EU country says the above, it's reasonable for some to disagree with the assertion that "it's been clear all along....". Not myself, but you know the point I am making.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ll31

I kind of think though that changing as they go based on evidence is ok given its so new and evidence is increasing every day. Tbh I find it somewhat reassuring at least they're being straightforward about risks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I disagree. The EMA has said its safe to use the AstraZeneca Oxford jab for all ages. The decision Ireland has taken is nothing to do with the EU. In the UK the MHRA have restrictions for under 30s and currently deliberating under 40s so the British are more restrictive than the EU as the EMA have none.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement