Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I don't think price is the only thing that needs to change, but it's absolutely true that alcohol can be bought very cheaply here.

Utter bollocks

Alcohol in Ireland is the second dearest in the EU

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Timistry

This is madness. I was up north on Saturday and plenty of Irish cars up there. I got 18 Coronas for 13 euro. say no more....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,093 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I don't think price is the only thing that needs to change, but it's absolutely true that alcohol can be bought very cheaply here

566e49b1-b979-2a45-4c02-7bb276227e2d?t=1599226092730

• Registered Users Posts: 27,974 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Poll on the Journal... would you travel North to buy drink if MUP introduced.

https://www.thejournal.ie/poll-travel-north-buy-drink-5427499-May2021/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭sully123

sully123 wrote: »
    Article suggests 1.32 for a can of beer.
    What's the workings behind that?

I got it. Tesco lager 440ml can 3.8%.
    2.64 for a 4 pack.
    So...
    440*3.8*.789=1319
    =13.2 grams of alcohol
    *10c per gram equals €1.32

That's what the article is quoting.
    Misleading people as the most common cans are 500ml @ 4.3% = €1.69

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,167 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I got it. Tesco lager 440ml can 3.8%.
    2.64 for a 4 pack.
    So...
    440*3.8*.789=1319
    =13.2 grams of alcohol
    *10c per gram equals €1.32

That's what the article is quoting.
    Misleading people as the most common cans are 500ml @ 4.3% = €1.69

going by those figures the price of cheap lagers will increase to nearly the price of "premium" lagers like Heineken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

going by those figures the price of cheap lagers will increase to nearly the price of "premium" lagers like Heineken.

Seems that way and I assume that sales can no longer come in below the new minimum pricing.

Honestly will just go North from now on - between not allowing vouchers to be used anymore and making us the most expensive place to drink in the EU - time to give the British gov some of my money instead.

Who is really driving all this - I mean there must be a group of lunatics somewhere behind the scenes, those sad sorry types that have few to no friends and hate anything anyone does that may constitute having fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Seems that way and I assume that sales can no longer come in below the new minimum pricing.

Honestly will just go North from now on - between not allowing vouchers to be used anymore and making us the most expensive place to drink in the EU - time to give the British gov some of my money instead.

Who is really driving all this - I mean there must be a group of lunatics somewhere behind the scenes, those sad sorry types that have few to no friends and hate anything anyone does that may constitute having fun.

Alcohol Action Ireland

The "Independent" (almost entirely government funded) charity

Alcohol Action Ireland

The "Independent" (almost entirely government funded) charity

So a government funded charity - tax payer funded charity - is now a lobbying group with the power to **** with all of us.

Well I'll have to raise this the next time a politician calls by the door. We all should. This is really a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think AAI is only 3 or 4 people who basically try and come up with ways to nanny us more and more when it comes to alcohol. It's absolutely shocking that these people are allowed dictate how the other 5 million of us consume alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Of course the 'premium brands won't increase prices according to the government just the 'cheaper' brands lol

Going to be major increses in prices and no sales possible below the floor

Guinness can 4.2% €1.66 minimum

Slab €39.77 minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 40,167 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Of course the 'premium brands won't increase prices according to the government just the 'cheaper' brands lol

Going to be major increses in prices and no sales possible below the floor

Guinness can 4.2% €1.66 minimum

Slab €39.77 minimum

that is almost exactly what a slab is now. But there is no way they can keep it at that price if perceived lower quality stuff costs the same.

Timistry wrote: »
    This is madness. I was up north on Saturday and plenty of Irish cars up there. I got 18 Coronas for 13 euro. say no more....

The same Coronas will now be 330×0.045x.0.789= 11.72 grams of alcohol

1.17 minimum x 18 = €21.09

62% increase when MUP comes in here

that is almost exactly what a slab is now. But there is no way they can keep it at that price if perceived lower quality stuff costs the same.

The issue is you can no longer have a sale on the slab

The same slab is regularly got for €24, €28, €30

No more

Of course Guinness will raise their prices

Will be funny to see the government reaction when their lies about only 'cheapest' alcohol incresing gets found out

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Article suggests 1.32 for a can of beer.
    What's the workings behind that?
    I was going to say they found a 3.345% beer somewhere but I'll presume Sully has it right with a small 440ml pretty weak 3.8% can!

ml * 0.78924 g/ml * ABV * 0.1 €/g = € MUP

500ml @ 4.3% = €1.70 (Bud I think)
    500ml @ 5% = €1.97 (Heineken I think)
    500ml @ 5.6% = €2.21 (my own favourite beer currently €2.09 in local supermarket)
    750ml @ 12% = €7.10 (wine on the weak side)
    750ml @ 15% = €8.88 (wine on the strong side)
    700ml @ 37.5% = €20.72 (minimum strength vodka e.g. Smirnoff)
    700ml @ 40% = €22.10 (spirits in general)

FTR If I budgeted myself €20/annum on booze for the last few years I'd have change left over and I still think this is scandalous. I actual think the (un)intended consequences will be that:
    A) problem drinkers will just spend even more on alcohol
    B) people will drink more as it will be much easier to get alcohol at the minimum price rather then having to avoid the local offie and remember to make the trip to a supermarket before you start drinking unless you want to overpay. Or iow you may as well grab a slab or three and bring it home for an after hours session cause it's the same price as you would get it anywhere else anyway.

If this was really thanks to AAI and the like then we would have them change to a "high enough" c/g rate of duty. This is being done for the alcohol trade and therefore trying to help cement in place our unusual relationship with alcohol. The pubs are hoping that closing the gap between the price of cans and pints will have them selling more pints and if they make off sales they will also get more of that (from people who have already been drinking). The off licenses (as opposed to general stores who sell alcohol) are presuming they will increase their sales and profits as people will use them rather then only stocking up with the rest of their shopping.

The supermarkets probably don't really care too much as while they will presumably lose out on volume they are going to be forced into taking a much larger margin on the sales they make. I'm tempted to print out some labels and put them up on the shelves of my local supermarket to show the proposed MUP prices (before things which aren't the cheapest currently increase their prices to try and maintain the perception of price Vs quality).

Two things I like to drink.
    Typical beer like Heineken €1
    - new price 1.70.
    Typical gin like Gordon's maybe €18
    -new price 21.70

Beer up by 70%
    Gin up by 21%

How might this affect my drinking habits....
    More gin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Two things I like to drink.
    Typical beer like Heineken €1
    - new price 1.70.
    Typical gin like Gordon's maybe €18
    -new price 21.70

Beer up by 70%
    Gin up by 21%

How might this affect my drinking habits....
    More gin!
    Where do you buy Heineken for 1 euro

kerryjack wrote: »
    Where do you buy Heineken for 1 euro

Tesco, but by the slab

Tesco, but by the slab
    Would it be there every week 24 cans for 24 euro because I have never seen it down here in my local tesco

The price increases don't sound too bad when looking can by can on premium brands but next xmas a slab will cost almost 40 euro for any beer compared to the 20 euro we are used to.

Same with Wine - Goodbye to the 5 for 6 deals and the 10 euro off when you spend 50 etc. Unless I am mistaken?

I drink Franziskaner for example - 2 euro a bottle in Lidl and O'Briens - soon to cost more so auto change to 2.50 at least (you and I know a 2.20 will be rounded up to 2.50(4 for 10)).

I was enjoying a few of the Belgian beers in Lidl the last 2 weeks, (10.5%) - they will be closer to 4.50 a bottle now instead of 4 for 10. So they will just go off the shelves altogether.

All i can see is less competition, less selection and more buying up north from this...

• Advertisement

Would it be there every week 24 cans for 24 euro because I have never seen it down here in my local tesco

Most weeks in one of the big supermarkets - think lidl had slabs of some beers down at 20 euro only a few weeks ago.

Same with Wine - Goodbye to the 5 for 6 deals and the 10 euro off when you spend 50 etc. Unless I am mistaken

Those deals are already gone since January.
    Cheapest bottle of wine will now be €7.50 and that's for a 12% wine which is rare to see these days.

Last weekend it was.
    Should be again for the next Bank Holiday if we make it that far.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Those deals are already gone since January.
    Cheapest bottle of wine will now be €7.50 and that's for a 12% wine which is rare to see these days.

They were removed on a temporary basis for the lockdown period.
    The intention was they would be allowed return post lockdown no?

Remove the lower rung of prices and everything else will inflate as it can. So better wines become even more expensive.

Either way North is the way to go now - Get a months beer each time... Creeping towards non competition market quickly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

A Nordie lad that works in my company is about to become Mister popular as he’s going to take orders from staff and bring down a car load of cheaper drink regularly.
    I always try to buy local but they can get stuffed on this front.

They were removed on a temporary basis for the lockdown period.

The intention was they would be allowed return post lockdown no?

No, I haven't heard anything to suggest that. Nothing to do with lockdown, it was permanent removal of all such offers and discounts, or for example, earning loyalty points for alcohol purchases, planned pre-covid.

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    Who are the people voting that drinking problems are a myths from the government?

I mean, the poll is not well-considered in the questions asked but seriously "myths from the government".

My own view is that the only way this is going to make any real difference to you financially is if you're drinking way over and above what's healthy.

I don't agree with price control as a mechanism to alleviate that. You should be offered effective public health and educational support.

Last weekend it was.
    Should be again for the next Bank Holiday if we make it that far.
    Won't affect me so because I have been paying 14 euro for 8 cans of Heineken in my local supermarket for years and I rarely spend less than a tenner for a bottle of wine so looks like we have been ripped off for years down here.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    No, I haven't heard anything to suggest that. Nothing to do with lockdown, it was permanent removal of all such offers and discounts, or for example, earning loyalty points for alcohol purchases, planned pre-covid.

Thats sad - so in a year this random bunch of lunatics under this Gov will have:

- Removed multibuy deals
    - Removed the earning of and use of vouchers for alcohol
    - Brought in minimum unit pricing
    - Hidden the Off licence behind barriers (Great having to touch these in covid times)

And their sh1t little charity/lobby group is funded by the tax payer getting screwed by this.

• Advertisement

Won't affect me so because I have been paying 14 euro for 8 cans of Heineken in my local supermarket for years and I rarely spend less than a tenner for a bottle of wine so looks like we have been ripped off for years down here.

If the competition dies in the market - prices will increase.

Add to this the few upcoming budgets post covid will most likely bring in additional tax on alcohol.

I wouldn't in theory (bar my cheap Franzi) but have no doubt a year from now I will be paying more again.

Advertisement