Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Have written to my local TD on the issue.

If this is brought in I will be holidaying up north and filling the boot on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Journal running a poll on this ... very poorly worded intro e.g. don't call out no more cans of beer for €1 type offers.

https://www.thejournal.ie/poll-drink-less-minimum-units-alcohol-5422075-Apr2021/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

"Alcohol Action Ireland maintains that with the introduction of MUP, the cheapest available alcohol product in Ireland will still be cheaper than those products in Northern Ireland, as showed by a Department of Finance Tax Strategy Group presentation last July."

What is hell are they on about?

How is a €22.09 minimum bottle of whiskey cheaper than than the same bottle at €12.49 in Northern Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

As pretty much all of the voting population is against this, and people are disillusioned with the current government, why in god's name do they think it would be a good idea to introduce this now?
    I don't think anything has ever annoyed me more than MUP when it comes to Irish politics, I don't actually miss pubs but f*ck them for lobbying for this and I wont be rushing back to give them my money anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

carq wrote: »
    Have written to my local TD on the issue.

If this is brought in I will be holidaying up north and filling the boot on the way home.

We will be going to France.* Even if it costs the same or slightly more, I'll do it just so as not to give the f*ckers anything extra.

*Assuming they don't start tinkering around with that also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Antares35 wrote: »
    We will be going to France.* Even if it costs the same or slightly more, I'll do it just so as not to give the f*ckers anything extra.

Some plans for that alright but that's down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Gonna really start stepping up my home brew game, been solely doing wine for a while but definitely moving into beer when im not using the equipment for wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

VinLieger wrote: »
    Gonna really start stepping up my home brew game, been solely doing wine for a while but definitely moving into beer when im not using the equipment for wine.

Wine home brew - I'm intrigued! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

As pretty much all of the voting population is against this, and people are disillusioned with the current government, why in god's name do they think it would be a good idea to introduce this now?
    I don't think anything has ever annoyed me more than MUP when it comes to Irish politics, I don't actually miss pubs but f*ck them for lobbying for this and I wont be rushing back to give them my money anyway.

Its only ould overpriced slop anyways they serve in a lot of these places especially in the tourist traps. The monks allways brewed the best alcohol anyway imv so you're halfway there allready

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Going back to homebrewing soon, mead mainly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Up the north I go. Once a month should cut it. Not too bad when you think about it. Until they bring it in. I’ll probably stop drinking at home then.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Antares35 wrote: »

Boxes of wine 2.5liter for 6 euro , 24 bottles of beer 50cl 15 euro on the continent
    Buying them for years now there

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    "Alcohol Action Ireland maintains that with the introduction of MUP, the cheapest available alcohol product in Ireland will still be cheaper than those products in Northern Ireland, as showed by a Department of Finance Tax Strategy Group presentation last July."

What is hell are they on about?

How is a €22.09 minimum bottle of whiskey cheaper than than the same bottle at €12.49 in Northern Ireland?

There is no lie Alcohol action won't tell to justify this.
    Their entire argument is built on dishonesty so why not go the whole hog.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Boxes of wine 2.5liter for 6 euro , 24 bottles of beer 50cl 15 euro on the continent
    Buying them for years now there

Last time i checked the ferry prices were extortionate - 700 return or something like that. is this still the case?

I actually wrote to all my TDs about this a few years ago saying they'll never get my vote again over this, it's been going on that long, and I think most of them responded, I remember Richard Bruton said something like sorry but it's for your own good in his response. I just can't believe they are so blind on this matter, f*cking no one wants it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

When minimum pricing comes in I can see the black market for drink taking off like a rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    A lot of the younger generation already choosing drugs over alcohol .. wait till this happens ... it will push a lot more that way...we will be seeing higher instances of guys walking around like zombies chewing their gums .. on planet zog

Retail Ireland concerned if this comes in without North adopting similar

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0428/1212488-retailers-alcohol/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Retail Ireland concerned if this comes in without North adopting similar

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0428/1212488-retailers-alcohol/
    They were supposed to wait for the North, but the crowd in charge at the minute, know better.
    Somebody started pushing it a few weeks ago, and to be honest, I didn't think he stood a chance in hell in convincing them to plough ahead with it.
    They can try and tax all alcohol coming into the Country if they want (IIRC that goes against EU laws), but there is no way they will be able to stop the importing of it en masse.

I couldn't hope to guess how this will all pan out, but I know that I will be looking abroad in the EU to import, and while I am at that, I may as well import bulk cheap wine and spirits with other goods.
    The 2nd most expensive place in Europe to buy alcohol introducing MUP to stop the sale of 'cheap' alcohol.
    F**K off.
    You can push too hard, which they may find out.

One thing I would like to know, does anybody have the figures for alcohol sales in Scotland that were imported in car boots and vans? Are they counted in the overall drop in sales?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I actually wrote to all my TDs about this a few years ago saying they'll never get my vote again over this, it's been going on that long, and I think most of them responded, I remember Richard Bruton said something like sorry but it's for your own good in his response. I just can't believe they are so blind on this matter, f*cking no one wants it to happen.

Similar response.

Carbon copy emails from number of TDs.

It's bizarre how out of touch with reality they are and so off base with their actual facts on consumption they are clearly being fed misinformation from some group or their party.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

listermint wrote: »
    Similar response.

Carbon copy emails from number of TDs.

It's bizarre how out of touch with reality they are and so off base with their actual facts on consumption they are clearly being fed misinformation from some group or their party.

MUP has been on the cards since 2011
    Roisin Shorthall then of the Labour Party was the junior minister for health that started the ball rolling on it.

So in that time there has been two General Elections and the threat of MUP has been so irrelevant to the political discussion that it has not appeared once as an election issue in all that time.

No TD is going to lose any significant amounts of votes let alone a seat over the implementation of MUP, regardless of what people here might think.

No TD is going to lose any significant amounts of votes let alone a seat over the implementation of MUP, regardless of what people here might think.

This is true, and because the media are pro pretty much everything the Gov do it will barely get a mention.
    And then we'll just suck it up and accept it and it'll be forgotten about.
    I mean the saloon doors in supermarkets are just embarrassing, why in the f*ck are these zealots getting a say in anything. To think they are legalising cannabis in other countries and we're being nannied like this.

MUP has been on the cards since 2011
    Roisin Shorthall then of the Labour Party was the junior minister for health that started the ball rolling on it.

So in that time there has been two General Elections and the threat of MUP has been so irrelevant to the political discussion that it has not appeared once as an election issue in all that time.

MUP has been on the cards of you call the cards hidden under a pile of bricks and we don't talk about it.

It hasn't appeared as a discussion point because they simply won't talk about it.

You know this I know this. Its blatantly unpopular has no public support has highly questionable data but has the zealot alcohol lobby and all the other interfere in people's lives religious centric nutters pushing their agenda.

They've also got the backing of the front vintner's lobby who are widely into party politics in this country.

It's a charade the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

As it stands, MUP won't affect me. I already pay more than the MUP for the drink I like. And I don't drink that often.

But to dimmer minds, MUP will be like violence - "If it's not working, it's because you're not using enough of it".

I can foresee it having no effect on alcohol consumption, otherwise we'd already have the lowest consumption in Europe. So there'll probably be another round of MUP in a year or so. And so on...

These clowns at AAI have to earn their grants etc so no doubt they'll be covering half the bottles in pictures of liver disease and god knows what else sooner or later, and they'll be trying to reduce off licence hours. They wont stop at MUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

tjhook wrote: »
    As it stands, MUP won't affect me. I already pay more than the MUP for the drink I like. And I don't drink that often.

But to dimmer minds, MUP will be like violence - "If it's not working, it's because you're not using enough of it".

I can foresee it having no effect on alcohol consumption, otherwise we'd already have the lowest consumption in Europe. So there'll probably be another round of MUP in a year or so. And so on...
    It will likely affect you. It causes a price increase on the premium brands too.

This is true, and because the media are pro pretty much everything the Gov do it will barely get a mention.
    And then we'll just suck it up and accept it and it'll be forgotten about.
    I mean the saloon doors in supermarkets are just embarrassing, why in the f*ck are these zealots getting a say in anything. To think they are legalising cannabis in other countries and we're being nannied like this.

A lot of people in the Irish media are big coke users so they probably won't notice if the price of drink goes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

Suckit wrote: »
    It will likely affect you. It causes a price increase on the premium brands too.

Heh, yes, possibly. I don't drink very much though, so I won't notice it.

I just resent a "health measure" that's really just an excuse to give in to a lobby.

• Advertisement

tjhook wrote: »

It will most definitely impact you. As it will most definitely impact me. I drink craft beers of varying varieties. This will allow all producers to move their pricing to to retain the premium margin difference they currently have between their products and the budget brands.

The notion this won't push premium products up is backed by absolutely no international evidence.

Advertisement