Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,512 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Jaysus, pure power trip. I couldn't have stayed calm talking to that gob***te. :pac: "It changes the dynamics of the helmet" :rolleyes:

He is probably right in some stupid legal way. I would have taken it off and stuck it to the handlebars to see what he does next because I assume it's really about him not liking being filmed

• Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

Jaysus, pure power trip. I couldn't have stayed calm talking to that gob***te. :pac: "It changes the dynamics of the helmet" :rolleyes:

I think the issue is if you're sliding along the ground, the camera can get caught on something and jerk your neck.

Might be more of an issue with motorbikes though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yet another driverless car knocks down a person on a bike :rolleyes:
    GARDAI are seeking witnesses to a 'hit and run' incident on the outskirts of Limerick city a week ago today.

On Tuesday, April 20, a cyclist was struck by a car on the Rosbrien Road between 12pm and 1pm.

"Fortunately, the cyclist did not suffer serious injuries. The car kept going and did not stop. The only description of the car that we have , is that it was a black car and that it was last seen going in the direction of Old Crescent Rugby Club on the Rosbrien Road," said Garda John Finnerty.

Gardai have not confirmed of the cyclist was a man or a woman and the collision is being investigated by members of the Roads Policing Unit at Henry Street garda station.

Any witnesses or anyone who was in the area around the time of the incident and who may have dash-cam footage are asked to make the footage available to gardai.

Henry Street garda station can be contacted at (061) 212400.
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/crime-and-courts/628058/limerick-cyclist-injured-in-hit-and-run-incident.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭buffalo

juicer wrote: »
    I think the issue is if you're sliding along the ground, the camera can get caught on something and jerk your neck.

Might be more of an issue with motorbikes though.

Is that not an issue with helmets in general? To the megathread!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

A police officer thinking that he's smarter than everyone else, so he makes up law on the spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭buffalo

A police officer thinking that he's smarter than everyone else, so he makes up law on the spot.

I'm not sure if it makes it any better, but apparently it could be considered an offence:
    in Victoria where this incident happened, fitting a camera means committing the offence of riding with a helmet that is not considered approved by Australian standards and can lead to a $207 fine. In New South Wales the fine in $349.

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-28-april-2021-282891

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there were rumours that michael schumacher's injuries were exacerbated by a helmet mounted camera, but i think the family tried to scotch that.

The gender of the cyclist has not been confirmed. How about the much more important description of the car driver

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

^^^
    not the worst piece of fiction

E0SVqbsWUAASm6K?format=jpg&name=large

• Advertisement

I stopped reading when lycra and TdF got a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I stopped reading when lycra and TdF got a mention.

You missed the best bits.

"our friend placed a steely cycling shoe-clad foot on the ground and flatly refused"
    Poetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Mad that they choose to go with a photo of a cyclist cycling on the road and not on the footpath

there's so much 'that didn't happen' in that article i'm actually not sure whether it's just a short story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I’m just basking in the new trend in these articles of being referred to as “muscular” instead of just plain old fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,908 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Story is missing the bit at the end where the muscular hunk in the "long car" picks her up and carries her away to his palace while everyone around clapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

What is it, they say about the length?

there's so much 'that didn't happen' in that article i'm actually not sure whether it's just a short story.

It sounds like a scene from a Jackie Collins novel there at the end with all the muscular elbowed men with long cars

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The last few paragraphs are descending into madness :confused:

How does sh1t like that keep getting published? Its a mental disease. The editor wouldn't allow such obvious lies in any other topic but because its anti-cylist it gets a pass.

there's at least four mentions of elbows there.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    How does sh1t like that keep getting published? Its a mental disease. The editor wouldn't allow such obvious lies in any other topic but because its anti-cylist it gets a pass.
    Paper never refused ink!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

there's at least four mentions of elbows there.

They all have lovely elbows, Father.

A sedate suburb with a very busy three lane road where lorries pass by?

Has anyone actually met one of these grannies who is afraid to walk down the street with all the wannabe Fausto Coppis flying round ?

not about cycling per se, but looks like another greenway is on the way:

A €12m project to restore a disused canal that criss-crosses the Irish border could revitalise tourism and communities, campaigners have said.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-56932303

State body in charge of national road network calls for mandatory registration and insurance of e-scooters
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40279619.html

this is an absolute howler:
    It claimed registration and insurance for e-scooters would act as a deterrent for users who failed to obey traffic rules or who caused obstructions on footpaths

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

State body in charge of national road network calls for mandatory registration and insurance of e-scooters
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40279619.html

this is an absolute howler:

Seperate from your point but I don't think the general public realise how dangerous e-scooters are. There is a study about to be published in the Irish medical journal outlining the severity and frequency of injuries.

We should be canvassing for them not to be allowed use cycle lanes if not banned outright

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Seperate from your point but I don't think the general public realise how dangerous e-scooters are. There is a study about to be published in the Irish medical journal outlining the severity and frequency of injuries.

We should be canvassing for them not to be allowed use cycle lanes if not banned outright

Wait till you hear about cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Yeah and all scooters should be taxed, insured and the users should have to pass a test before using one right?

Otherwise this happens....CARNAGE!

https://twitter.com/dubfirebrigade/status/1388910291849678849?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Not trying to start an argument about it. I'll link the research here when it is published. E scooter injuries and severity of injury far outweighs any other mode of transport at the moment on Irish roads (in terms of amount used and injuries caused)

Personal opinion - they should be banned. Not interested in taxing them or registering them etc

Advertisement