Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ultimate family car 20k

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

I think people over do it these days with kids. My ma brought us on buses without tonnes of stuff but I do remember walking home many times including winter time carrying shopping bags in the pissing rain. Heavy bags too. People wouldn't dream of giving their kids a couple of shopping bags and expect them to walk home a few miles away from the shop.

They bought it so they bring it

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

What in gods name ( Hastings accent) do people be carrying , I can remember myself and the missus and the three kids driving into the jervis centre and buying all the crimbo presents in our red fiat panda without any bother.

But how many years ago was that? Things have changed drastically like years ago people could cram kids into a car no child seats etc etc,but nowadays child seats are very bulky and anyone with 3 small children are forced to buy those mpv's or suv's ,like its very hard on families because those cars are very expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Crossovers make a lot of sense with kids, it’s easier to lift them in and out and they love being higher up when they’re older.

I know you’re not a fan, but there’s a reason they’re popular. If herself isn’t opposed to them, I wouldn’t rule one out.

Also, buggies are only as big as you decide you need. Some of them are ridiculous.

From an estate driver!

Kids like crossovers now? The little ****s, when I was one I wished my father had a ford cosworth.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭rn

I'd concur that the Skoda Octavia is the ultimate small family car. We've a 2018 style 2.0l diesel. Does about 4.6/100km for us. It's comfortable and the boot is so versatile and large. Ours is the style level.

Tbh you'll be well served by that Octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

What you really need when having a family is a bus and be done with it,great for going on hols and lugging things around like a 9 seater and have a few seats removed so plenty if space for holidays etc.
    I think what you need to do here is ask a few people with families what they would recommend even if they only have 2 children and ask people with larger families also.
    It's not just handy when you have babies but even more convenient when they are teens

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

forestgirl wrote: »
    What you really need when having a family is a bus and be done with it,great for going on hols and lugging things around like a 9 seater and have a few seats removed so plenty if space for holidays etc.
    I think what you need to do here is ask a few people with families what they would recommend even if they only have 2 children and ask people with larger families also.
    It's not just handy when you have babies but even more convenient when they are teens

Can't agree with that part at all. The day I buy a bus is the day I give up on life! :pac:

Everyone's situation is different of course, how many kids you have or are planning to have, whether you see a car as a means of getting from A to B or you also want to enjoy the driving experience. We have 3 kids aged 4, 11 & 12 and up until 2 years ago managed to get by with an ageing 2006 IS220d, it would've had 2 car seats in the back for most it's life. Never found it that big a deal to get the kids in or out of it when they were younger - kids are awkward regardless of the height of a car imo. The boot space was always crap in it but still managed a 2 seater Phil & Ted (front & back seats rather than those 2 wide things) and the weekly shopping. The car gave up the ghost so once we had to switch, the main criteria was more space and something fun to drive for me - we didn't need a 5-seater nor liked the look of SUVs.

Switched to an estate just before corona came into everyone's lives and haven't looked back - plenty of space in the back for the older two and the one car seat, decent boot size, bikes on the roof and still a bit of fun to drive. Fair enough if you have more than 3 kids or you need 3 car seats in the back at once then an estate probably isn't going to cut it - but my mind wouldn't be thinking of jumping straight into a 5+ seater or something if planning on starting a family - estate was the way to go for us. Get something you like and that fits your needs for the next couple of years at least. Just my 2c.

Anyway, OP seems to be happy with his decision so best of luck with it and looking forward to some pics when it arrives. :)

The problem with estates is there's a relatively large amount of people who feel they are a hearse and just will not buy one. Octavia and superb are almost as spacious, but look like saloons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

That's not a problem with estates, that's a problem with those people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭FrankC21

How about volvos do they not make spacious estates. Are they expensive than skoda.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    That's not a problem with estates, that's a problem with those people.
    It becomes a problem for re sale though.

Not really, there's enough level headed people who understand the practicality of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,602 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If I was the OP I would buy this
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/17-soul-ev-low-mileage-1-owner-example-/26962602

Kia Soul EV for just over 15k

Plenty of size, decent range especially for low mileage users, very low running costs, will keep its value much better than any ICE car plus you get that satisfaction from not poisoning your new baby with toxic fumes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I see the motoring vegans have arrived.

Also did anyone read about 2 pages back? The OP has already bought a car they are happy with. Take the green wash campaign somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,602 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

bazz26 wrote: »
    I see the motoring vegans have arrived.

Also did anyone read about 2 pages back? The OP has already bought a car they are happy with. Take the green wash campaign somewhere else.

‘The deal is almost done’ does not mean he has already bought the car

And talking about EVs in the motoring forum is not a ‘green wash campaign’
    The newest EVs are simply better than ICE cars in almost every way and the OP specifically said that he doesn’t do much mileage so range anxiety should not be an issue

Range, size and costs are certainly not an area in which they're better. Anything approaching the size and space of an estate are scarce and extremely expensive in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Akrasia wrote: »
    ‘The deal is almost done’ does not mean he has already bought the car

And talking about EVs in the motoring forum is not a ‘green wash campaign’
    The newest EVs are simply better than ICE cars in almost every way and the OP specifically said that he doesn’t do much mileage so range anxiety should not be an issue

From your last post below:
    Akrasia wrote: »
    If I was the OP I would buy this
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/17-soul-ev-low-mileage-1-owner-example-/26962602

Kia Soul EV for just over 15k

Plenty of size, decent range especially for low mileage users, very low running costs, will keep its value much better than any ICE car plus you get that satisfaction from not poisoning your new baby with toxic fumes

You didn't even ask the OP if they had the ability to charge an EV at home. And you were not simply talking about EV's on the motoring forum, you just went with the typical condescending preaching that alot of EV devotees come out with when they want everyone else to know and agree to their way of thinking as being right. If you want to preach about EVs being better than anything else then there is a dedicated EV forum where you can do that.

Advertisement