Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ultimate family car 20k

• 15-02-2021 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭

Well lads, the time has come. We have a little one on the way and it's time to upgrade one of the motors. We reckon we have 20k to play with for this and our criteria are as follows:

1. Can't be diesel. This will be a local machine for the most part. That means petrol/hybrid territory.
    2. Boot space. Buggies are huge it seems... so boot space is a big requirement.
    3. Car type. I'm not a fan of SUV types, and would prefer an estate I think. But I don't want to close off options here either so could be talked into one if it fit the bill.
    4. Automatic is almost a must have. I say almost as we could live with a manual I suppose, but auto would definitely be preferred.
    5. Mileage on this will be low. We both drive very little, and even less with covid. I wouldn't expect this car to cover many kms once covid times are over.

I had been looking at Octavia's, but they are rare enough in estate+petrol guise, and even rarer with an auto box. Then the idea of an Auris tourer/estate popped into my head. It seems to tick all the boxes, big enough, hybrid/auto, reliable. BUT it is the single ugliest vehicle I have ever set my eyes on, perhaps that's an advantage for a car that I want to be able to take rough and tumble stuff.

So what do you reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Nissan Leaf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

Merc C350e for that budget and that catagory.

You might get a Premium Plus in budget if you're lucky, and they're a very nice place to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Crossovers make a lot of sense with kids, it’s easier to lift them in and out and they love being higher up when they’re older.

I know you’re not a fan, but there’s a reason they’re popular. If herself isn’t opposed to them, I wouldn’t rule one out.

Also, buggies are only as big as you decide you need. Some of them are ridiculous.

From an estate driver!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

My current set of requirements are almost identical to yours.

I'm currently drawn to the Mitsubishi Outlander phev.

Think of it like an estate on stilts and you've got bingo on your card!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

kirving wrote: »
    Merc C350e for that budget and that catagory.

You might get a Premium Plus in budget if you're lucky, and they're a very nice place to be.

Or a similar 330e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Crossovers make a lot of sense with kids, it’s easier to lift them in and out and they love being higher up when they’re older.

I know you’re not a fan, but there’s a reason they’re popular. If herself isn’t opposed to them, I wouldn’t rule one out.

Also, buggies are only as big as you decide you need. Some of them are ridiculous.

From an estate driver!

From a fellow estate driver, with a crossover in the house, crossovers are not much use when it comes to going away for breaks with the family, boot space is pretty poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭whippet

maddness wrote: »
    Or a similar 330e.

The 330e for 20k will be an older one and they only came in saloon ... boot is tiny !!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 LionKing7

In my opinion SUV would better suit for your requirements. But if you are looking for an estate car following would also be a good choice.

http://www.enterprisecars.com/vehicles/toyota/corolla/limerick/2726244

http://www.enterprisecars.com/vehicles/toyota/corolla/limerick/2728428

Used to drive this Toyota in a different country and I would say it's really nice car. One thing you might need to check is the insurance cost before finalize it. As it is a Hybrid and imported from Japan, not sure whether all the insurance companies will cover it. I checked with a Broker and they gave me a quote.

Good Luck!

What are ye upgrading?
    If doing tiny miles and 1 kid ye don't really need the ultimate family car.

Plug estate, petrol and the budget into carzone and see what tickles your fancy... As you mention an Auris would be grand but it doesn't appeal.

Your criteria won't throw out too many options so that alone will be informative IMO :)

• Advertisement

Buy a smaller buggy!

https://eire.icandyworld.com/ie/en/lime-pushchair.html

Now you don't need to take over all the road just because you have the baby.

May be you save the cost of a new car!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭knockoutned

For those who don't like SUV's / crossovers, I cannot recommend a Skoda Suburb enough. The boot space is massive, so it will easily hold a double buggy and still leave you with you room for additional items. The fact that it is a hatch back makes accessing everything even easier. I've driven both the estate and saloon and I would go for the saloon as it's a nicer looking car.

The second that is great about it it that the cabin is large. That means the when you install car seats, you can still push the front seats back as far as you need, without hitting the car seat. In my experience, the cabin in both SUV's / crossovers are small.

Manual https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-superb-active-1-4-tsi-125bhp-4/27151016

Automatic https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-superb-active-1-4-tsi-125bhp-4/27151016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are a good few VW Passat estates in petrol and auto about well under your budget. Most are Japanese imports but that wouldn't put me off:
    https://www.carsireland.ie/2628724
    https://www.carsireland.ie/2605055

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

If you’re only doing small miles and it’s just one kid you’re going to be safe enough with any midsized hatch. Octavia 1l tsi dsg might be worth a look, there’s a few around they’re decent enough to drive.

If you’re planning more then it might be worth the investment. Got an Ateca the other day for herself - handles the buggy and child seats just fine. Haven’t a clue what it’s like to drive as we won’t know until it’s picked up. There’s a good few petrol ones about. Personally I’d have preferred an estate but she did say her back will benefit from the higher up seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭McCrack

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7662281993152/

Put the 18k change into bitcoin and hodl for 5 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thanks all, tonnes of great points and help here.
    Augeo wrote: »
    What are ye upgrading?
    If doing tiny miles and 1 kid ye don't really need the ultimate family car.

Plug estate, petrol and the budget into carzone and see what tickles your fancy... As you mention an Auris would be grand but it doesn't appeal.

Your criteria won't throw out too many options so that alone will be informative IMO :)

We currently have a 2007 Nissan Note. Which you would think would be perfect, but it suffers from a tiny boot. You might get the buggy in, but not much else(even a small one!). And it is an old thing at this point, I've only ever had ancient yokes but at this stage it's time to move up the years.

And yep, just putting estate and petrol in narrows the field a lot!
    Tzardine wrote: »
    Nissan Leaf.

A leaf was mentioned, and was one I went looking at, but the budget only affords a high mileage (in electric car terms) in the current model/type with bigger battery. Along with the other parts of the requirements that it doesn't quite fit I'll have to put that in the no pile. Electric will happen, but not for me yet.
    colm_mcm wrote: »

From an estate driver!

It's a very good point, and not one easily ignored. I'll have to look around and see what's out there. The Kona is what pops into my head, but obviously there is lots to consider in that category. Need to take a look at the boot space across most models here.

The buggy decision has been made, I haven't much say in the matter! :P
    Vikings wrote: »
    My current set of requirements are almost identical to yours.

I'm currently drawn to the Mitsubishi Outlander phev.

Think of it like an estate on stilts and you've got bingo on your card!

The Mitsi Outlander PHEV, is one I have been looking closely at actually. I think it does tick all the boxes. I do think they are probably on the expensive side, but there's not many other PHEVs in this price/age bracket. Is there some worry about them given Mitsubishi pulling out of the car business in Europe? I guess for a 2017/18 car, relying on a dealer is not such a big priority.
    If you’re only doing small miles and it’s just one kid you’re going to be safe enough with any midsized hatch. Octavia 1l tsi dsg might be worth a look, there’s a few around they’re decent enough to drive.

If you’re planning more then it might be worth the investment. Got an Ateca the other day for herself - handles the buggy and child seats just fine. Haven’t a clue what it’s like to drive as we won’t know until it’s picked up. There’s a good few petrol ones about. Personally I’d have preferred an estate but she did say her back will benefit from the higher up seats.

There is a good point there about a regular non-estate Octavia/Superb. They are big cars and being on here as long as I have I know all too well how big the boots are! Certainly worth mulling over. The 1.0 in the Octavia would more than suffice, we really don't need this car to be a mover. Obviously having a regular hatch style opens things up in terms of number of cars too.

And what about the Auris tourer hybrid? Asides from the ugly-factor, it does seem to tick all the boxes. Big boot, auto, should be reliable, and the spec seems decent. There's also a few of them about it seems, which is handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Tzardine wrote: »
    Nissan Leaf.

Buggies? Bootspace

I think the likes of a Kona is too small, it’s basically a Nissan Note sized car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Buy a smaller buggy!

We have that travel system and it's still big! With all that in the back of a A6 Avant you have no room for the weekly shop..

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,146 ✭✭✭✭beertons

What brand of buggy are you looking at? We had 2 golfs on the go here for a while, and a double buggy in the boot.

Did someone have a word in your ear about changing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I’ve a toddler and we have one car, a 2005 Fiesta. It does the job! Buggy fits in the boot perfectly and actually stays in the car. We never bring it into the house. It’s a an Uppababy Cruz. We also have an extended rear facing seat in there.

We have no intention on upgrading until we have another child. Plan to either get a focus estate or an Octavia for the next car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

What about going for a more compact pram instead (i.e not a Bugaboo) that can folds up neatly. Buggies aren't all massive, some are just more style over practicality.

We use a Egg and it folds up very small and leaves plenty of room in the boot (of a Karoq).

Also how's an 171 Skoda Octavia 1.4 DSG with 150bhp with 31,000 miles sound for only €14,950?

https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Skoda/Octavia-SE-1.4-TSI-150PS
    DSG-AUTO---LOW-MILES/202009153756734

I think the Outlander is incredibly overated on this forum. Yeah it's a big, cheap SUV, but that's about it.

The Passat GTE would be an excellent candidate. Had a diesel for a week and it was a lovely refined place to be. Superb build quality, excellent gearbox, radar as standard, huge boot. Was very close to buying one in hybrid guise myself, but a 330e won out for other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭jt69er

Looking for something similar budget wise €20k, except no need for buggy at this stage :), 20k mileage per year, no preference on fuel, 2017 - 2018 if possible. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭passatman86

kirving wrote: »
    I think the Outlander is incredibly overated on this forum. Yeah it's a big, cheap SUV, but that's about it.

The Pattat GTE would be an excellent candidate. Had a diesel for a week and it was a lovely refined place to be. Superb build quality, excellent gearbox, radar as standard, huge boot. Was very close to buying one in hybrid guise myself, but a 330e won out for other reasons.

Pattat gte.... Do you have a lisp

Only a joke

Pattat gte.... Do you have a lisp

Only a joke

Haha corrected! Not sure why that's in autocorrect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 egyman

If I were you, I would consider Rav 4, hybrid , 2.5 L, with Toyota proven CVT automatic transmission. If you can top up another 10K you could catch the new model 191, if not, you can get a decent 161 (old shape).

Check the following list:
    https://www.carsireland.ie/search#q?gclid=Cj0KCQiA1KiBBhCcARIsAPWqoSqpJg9ZkALC_oD-4NKSSulDImWqK_YlgU_My04Bj1CgfZdtgxyzbuQaAvQ_EALw_wcB&refinementList%5Bvehicle%5D%5B0%5D=TOYOTA%20Rav4&page=1&menu%5Bfuel_type%5D=Petrol%20Hybrid&ad=2657832

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Ignore C class and 3 series recommendations, hopeless family cars, simply too small.

The below for around €21k after VRT. Boot so big you don't need the estate.

Ideal family car (we have 2, both from the UK, 2 kids). Quick, economical and super refined engine, if you buy anything else you are just being willful!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102028603258?radius=1500&price-to=15000&make=SKODA&sort=price-asc&model=SUPERB&price-from=14000&include-delivery-option=on&fuel-type=Petrol&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=w37tz&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

egyman wrote: »
    If I were you, I would consider Rav 4, hybrid , 2.5 L, with Toyota proven CVT automatic transmission. If you can top up another 10K you could catch the new model 191, if not, you can get a decent 161 (old shape).

Check the following list:
    https://www.carsireland.ie/search#q?gclid=Cj0KCQiA1KiBBhCcARIsAPWqoSqpJg9ZkALC_oD-4NKSSulDImWqK_YlgU_My04Bj1CgfZdtgxyzbuQaAvQ_EALw_wcB&refinementList%5Bvehicle%5D%5B0%5D=TOYOTA%20Rav4&page=1&menu%5Bfuel_type%5D=Petrol%20Hybrid&ad=2657832

The Auris ticks all the boxes - as well as the "White goods" one ...

Slightly more interesting would be the 7-seater Prius+: link. You can get a 2014 for about €15K

I think the Rav4 would be my choice as well - Plenty of room and loads of practicality.

Ignore C class and 3 series recommendations, hopeless family cars, simply too small.

The below for around €21k after VRT. Boot so big you don't need the estate.

Ideal family car (we have 2, both from the UK, 2 kids). Quick, economical and super refined engine, if you buy anything else you are just being willful!

The Superb is a good choice, but C-Class and 3 Series estates are staple family cars all over europe. "Hopeless" is a stretch to say the least.

The flat load floor is advantageous for sliding a buggy into and out of over a hatch back, and given the low milage, the PHEV could be on full electric much of the time, is quicker when needed, and can be more economical and refined locally.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Buy a smaller buggy!

:D if only it was just the buggy, throw in the bag with various bits from nappies to clothes and everything else, suddenly even a large boot can fill up quickly. Babies and young children don't travel light :D

Parents don’t travel light!

I don’t know how we managed with a Civic and a Yaris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

We've a 2013 Rav4 which replaced a Megane. I've an Avensis also.

If you have say kind of a back problem go for the Rav4. It's a pain trying to load them in a low roof.

Rav4 is great in that its very flexible interior wise, rugged and large, much bigger than a Qashqai and Ix35.

The first generation Hybrid isn't great on fuel but tbh it would be my choice in your situation. I'd especially buy bigger if you think you'll have a second child any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

A colleague bought a Kia Niro. Not sure how the boot space measures up but I thought it was a cracking little car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

My wife wanted to get a big buggy also. She is small so had her lift something of similar weight in and out fo the boot. She bought a small buggy.

Have a Skoda Octavia Estate myself. Boot is huge. When the kids were small prior to having the estate we would need to bring two cars (Corolla and Corolla hatch back) for all the stuff even though we had a bugaboo buggy. Estates are very practical. The fake SUVs/Jeeps that are basically a hatch back with a different body on it I just don't get. The Superb has more space but it's a good big more expensive.

A parent with young kids could have:
    Buggy (some are huge)
    travel cot
    All the stuff for making bottles
    Clothes
    Nappies
    Formula
    Changing bag
    Kids toys
    A mini pharmacy
    Your stuff

Auris 360 liters
    Kia Niro 324 liters
    Rav 4 580 litres
    Octavia estate 640 liters

Big boot is great for scooters and bikes when they are small. As a family car I would recommend getting a car with a hitch if possible as if you ever want to carry bikes the hitch mounted ones are much safer and allow you to carry more bikes.

It's been a while, but I've been out and about (as much as one can be these days!) looking at regular Skoda Octavia hatchbacks. All 1.0 DSG, ambition spec and I think I have decided on one. It seems to tick all the boxes really, the price is right, I think the hatch is plenty big, drives well and most importantly it's red.

So all going well I'll have a new motor in the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

Seat Leon ST estate?

1.4 tsi DSG and red!
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/seat/leon/fpa/202103260619902?journey=Search

Octavia hatch still has a very decent boot. Do prefer the estate myself though. Had a Mk4 Mondeo estate all the year the kids were in car seats and never had any issue getting them in and out. Stuck in a 7 seater the last few years, spend most of it's life in 5 seat mode so the big boot is handy. Some day I'll get back to an estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

Once you get into baby territory at all there really is no car big enough.

If you're going for an estate car get a big one like skoda superb or vw passat etc no point getting smaller ones because you will need all the room you can get and you are better to have to much room than not enough room.
    Estate's are the business alright but a decent size suv will trump that because much easier to get children in and out of the car,the bigger ones come with 7 seats but fold them down for the larger boot and it will be the same as the estate but you will have the better driving position 😉
    I'm sick listening to this rubbish about them being gas guzzlers they are mostly economical

Thanks guys, but like I said, the deal is almost done on the Octavia hatch. I'll post up some pics when I get it. I reckon it'll need a good polish when I get it, I'd be tempted to pay to get it detailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭FrankC21

forestgirl wrote: »
    Once you get into baby territory at all there really is no car big enough.

If you're going for an estate car get a big one like skoda superb or vw passat etc no point getting smaller ones because you will need all the room you can get and you are better to have to much room than not enough room.
    Estate's are the business alright but a decent size suv will trump that because much easier to get children in and out of the car,the bigger ones come with 7 seats but fold them down for the larger boot and it will be the same as the estate but you will have the better driving position 😉
    I'm sick listening to this rubbish about them being gas guzzlers they are mostly economical

I have to agree for once on SUV vs saloon, i was out last week with our baby - I drive a saloon fluence by the way huge boot and cabin space. And the amount of stuff I had to bring for 1 baby can't imagine what it will be like for 2 or 3 kids, sorry saloons but if we did get a new car it will be an SUV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

What in gods name ( Hastings accent) do people be carrying , I can remember myself and the missus and the three kids driving into the jervis centre and buying all the crimbo presents in our red fiat panda without any bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Ryath wrote: »
    Seat Leon ST estate?

1.4 tsi DSG and red!
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/seat/leon/fpa/202103260619902?journey=Search

Octavia hatch still has a very decent boot. Do prefer the estate myself though. Had a Mk4 Mondeo estate all the year the kids were in car seats and never had any issue getting them in and out. Stuck in a 7 seater the last few years, spend most of it's life in 5 seat mode so the big boot is handy. Some day I'll get back to an estate.

Can't believe nobody has suggested this before. Bought a 2 litre diesel one last week. Great place to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Had a look on used skoda. A good few auto petrols 2018 for 20k. You can get an auto style spec 2019 for 22k.

Take another look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭FrankC21

What in gods name ( Hastings accent) do people be carrying , I can remember myself and the missus and the three kids driving into the jervis centre and buying all the crimbo presents in our red fiat panda without any bother.

3 in 1 travel buggy system, a bag for baby stuff pads, food, milk, extra clothes. Jackets, our own food. To be honest i just wish I had a taller boot really so i can just jammed and put stuff on top of each other. We had to eat food on the car cause baby won't stop crying like. I had to try an estate maybe to see what it likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

FrankC21 wrote: »
    3 in 1 travel buggy system, a bag for baby stuff pads, food, milk, extra clothes. Jackets, our own food. To be honest i just wish I had a taller boot really so i can just jammed and put stuff on top of each other. We had to eat food on the car cause baby won't stop crying like. I had to try an estate maybe to see what it likes.

I think people over do it these days with kids. My ma brought us on buses without tonnes of stuff but I do remember walking home many times including winter time carrying shopping bags in the pissing rain. Heavy bags too. People wouldn't dream of giving their kids a couple of shopping bags and expect them to walk home a few miles away from the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

FrankC21 wrote: »

Don't bother wife has a A6 Avant and it's still full with all the gear you said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Best of luck with the new car, I would’ve said Outlander PHEV all the way , however the Octavia beats it boot space 600 liters vs 463. However the outlander is a lot easier to lift kids in and out of when they get to toddler weight, because of its height.
    Whatever you say about the outlander PHEV , it’s a great tax dodge regarding the size of the great big metal box you can drive in Ireland on almost the cheapest tax @170 per annum. Brilliant rate for almost a full size Jeep.

• Advertisement
Advertisement