Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overlooked TV shows

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Criminally overlooked.

Six Feet Under is always mentioned in great tv lists, I do not think criminally overlooked or underrated

Emmys, Golden Globes and SAGs award nominees and winners

• Registered Users Posts: 33,037 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This thread is the television equivalent of the Someone Unusual You Fancy, which is full of hot women.

It's full of popular and highly reviewed tv shows. Don't think that was the angle the OP was taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Definitely got tonnes of critical attention in end of year lists etc

NIMAN wrote: »
    This thread is the television equivalent of the Someone Unusual You Fancy, which is full of hot women.

It's full of popular and highly reviewed tv shows. Don't think that was the angle the OP was taking.

there will always be lots of people who thinks they were unique in liking some show that was watched by millions and critically acclaimed.

pointless threads in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Gomorrah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I remember watching a comedy on BBC years ago called Nighty Night.

Ive never heard it mentioned anywhere but its worth a watch if you like dark comedy. Theres a few well known faces from English tv in it as well.
    Absolutely brilliant especially the first series.
    Series two was absolutely insane....but still loved it.

Julia Davis is so brilliant and been in some cracking and seriously under watched stuff
    Hunderby, camping, Sally4ever and my personal favourite Human Remains.
    Not forgetting her stealing every scene in Gavin and Stacey!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

Trust me. I know what I'm doing. :cool:

"HAMMMEEEERRR!" :D

Mr. Robot. Critically acclaimed but far under the radar for most people. Still my favourite in the past 10 years. Dark is probably 2nd

The comedy Silicon Valley

Big at the time but forgotten now. IMHO, one of the top 5 sitcoms of all time: 3rd Rock from the Sun.

Lexx: Canadian sci-fi . Claustrophobic with dark humour.

Travelers. Very engaging sci-fi/drama from netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Baseball72

A colleague recommended The Shield to me a few months - on Season 5 at present - it's excellent. I recommended Bosch to my colleague and he thoroughly enjoyed.

Arrested development

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    The pacing is very strange as they're juggling separate storylines. Not a fan of the scenes back on Earth, they slow down the overall story, but it picks up around ep7.

Amos' Earth story was fine, its the pantomime rock hopper baddie that's tedious,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Treppen

Baskets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Seen a few mention Homeland, but far better was the original Israeli version Hatufim.

Comedy wise Early Doors is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HipPopOptamus

Joziburg wrote: »
    Six Feet Under

I went through this tread to see if anyone else had mentioned Six Feet Under. This is the show for me. I wish I could watch it again for the first time, it's just incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

thegills wrote: »
    Band of Brothers
    Babylon Berlin (if you don't mind the subtitles)
    Sons of Anarchy
    Better Call Saul
    Homeland
    Fauda (Israeli Homeland type)

Really?

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    For me it's the Expanse. On season 5 of a 6 season run.
    All on Amazon Prime.

Proper hard science fiction.
    The space battles are probably the most realistic ever put on screen,

Yeah, same. On series 4 though, not as good as the first three. Onto the 'Amazon' version now.

It made the headlines at the time but I don't know many that have watched 'Brasseye'. Iconic.

Also, 'Any Human Heart'. Only 4 episodes. Amazing.

'Red Riding' as well.

All on All4, for nowt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The comedy Early Doors...

Really superbly written, brilliantly acted, no laughter track just like The Royal family... first series was class, second not quite AS class due to two of the main actors, the brilliant Maxine Peake and James McAvoy leaving to fulfill other acting commitments in Shameless...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I like lie to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Six Feet Under is always mentioned in great tv lists, I do not think criminally overlooked or underrated

Emmys, Golden Globes and SAGs award nominees and winners

When it was on and in the few years after, it was well-regarded. But it doesn’t come up much anymore. I think Alan Ball’s stock has dropped since American Beauty hasn’t aged that well and isn’t really considered a great film anymore. But Six Feet Under is better than that film.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Babylon 5 the show that gave us a full story told over 5 seasons where every episode was a chapter in that story with no standalone episodes.

Grey 17 is Missing.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Two more additions, both no doubt have their cult followings

Strike Back. Started off as a grounded Middle East Military Ops series and then turned into a balls to the wall buddy action show. Always entertaining with some ridiculous OTT drama and action.

Spartacus. First season was a visceral joy to watch.
    Then the prequel gave us more John Hannah which was always a good thing.
    The show definitely struggled after the passing of Andy Whitfield, but the final season was a great spectacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

Yeah this isn't what I was going for at all. Most of the shows mentioned like six feet under and better call Saul are well known.

I was thinking of shows more like How Not To Live Your Life by Dan Clark. It was started by BBC3 back in 2007 and ran for two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,973 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'm a bit confused myself. Is it shows that got noticed but weren't deemed a 'masterpiece', and have now fallen off the radar?
    Or shows that were overlooked and didn't get buzz or awards at the time?

Broadchurch for example won a rake of BAFTAs.
    It was remade in the US and France.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

The Shield is excellent, very few people I talk to have seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,258 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused myself. Is it shows that got noticed but weren't deemed a 'masterpiece', and have now fallen off the radar?
    Or shows that were overlooked and didn't get buzz or awards at the time?

Broadchurch for example won a rake of BAFTAs.
    It was remade in the US and France.

Yeah or ones people have not heard of but did not take off. Or at least the reviews were mixed? Someone put down Better Call Saul which made me laugh.
    That one will probably be rated among the best TV shows in years to come and has won lots of awards. Plus it is still currently running hardly off the radar!

I looked up the reviews of the TV show Oz there seems to be a split in it.
    It has at least gone off the radar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oz_%28TV_series%29#International_broadcast_history

Goodnight Sweetheart has definitely gone off the radar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodnight_Sweetheart_(TV_series)#Future

It was a slow burner as well.
    Nicholas Lyndhurst was great in it using his full range as an actor.

There was a short return in a one off episode to test the water but it was never heard of again.

Quantum Leap - was a slow burner. But it did get awards later on. Rated as a cult TV show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Leap

Limitless - was really short run series based on the film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limitless_(TV_series)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I was in a daze for a good day after that finale. And it’s not just the finale, the last three episodes are stellar. Easily the best series ending I’ve seen. Alan Ball’s only gripe was that he wished they had a higher budget for the make up at the end and I’d tend to agree. Ball said he was done with the show after series 4 and ready to move on but he still respected the show’s fans enough to give the last series his all.

Haven't seen that but it would be difficult to top the ending of The Wire. Breaking Bad and GOT take note, that's how you wrap up a show!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

Detectorists - a BBC comedy written and directed by Mackenzie Crook.

It's a quaint and heartwarming comedy series set around an amateur metal detecting club. It won a few BAFTAs and was broadcast on BBC 4 which explains its overlookedness (is that a word?)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,973 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I really liked Wonderfalls. It was a short lived US 'dramedy', quirky humour, elements of fantasy.
    Not claiming it was a masterpiece but it hit spots few shows try to reach.
    Bryan Fuller was also reponsible for similarly genre series Pushing Daisies.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,258 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

rosser44 wrote: »

It's a quaint and heartwarming comedy series set around an amateur metal detecting club. It won a few BAFTAs and was broadcast on BBC 4 which explains its overlookedness (is that a word?)

That sounds like a really odd premise for a series. I will have to check that for the craic.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

rosser44 wrote: »

Highly praised so not overlooked, BBC1 show it and This Country late at night

Advertisement