Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Options

Comments

unkel wrote: »
    Less desirable, considerably slower, heavier, less efficient, costs more to tax and way more in maintenance

If you don't desperately need the utility of the REx, then I would stay away. It was different in 2016, but this is 2021 now

This is of course dependent on the buyer's needs. If they need the extra range occasionally or regularly and don't really care much about the drawbacks, the REx is attractive. Personally I would never even consider a REx, particularly not in the 94Ah model. BMW agrees with me, they have phased it out completely now. It's a thing of the past. But hey, some people are still buying diesels :p

Lol BMW didn't phase the Rex out in North America. The only reason the removed the Rex is because they thought at the time the model was being scrapped soon after now to go back and introduce it they'd look like fools when they said they removed it because 200-250 Kms is enough, that's bollocks and everyone knows it especially when cold battery charging is slow.

Rex isn't "considerable slower" I guarntee most People wouldn't notice the difference, Rex is plenty fast for most People and you wouldn't know because you never drove one..... but a 64 ah BEV i3 might be notable more poky than the 94 ah Rex. But not everyone cares.

They'll be mighty glad of it rather than be stuck in a queue waiting for a charge not only that, charge time is " considerably" increased at a fast charger if the battery is cold and the Rex eliminates this inconvenience altogether.

Rex makes perfect sense in 2021 for People who can't afford to buy a car for 40 odd grand to get decent range so you're talking pure and utter Shyte Unkel.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,138 ✭✭✭✭unkel

We knew you would say that ;) Whenever I go into the main motors forum the diesel fans call me similar names :p

Like I said it depends on your situation. Personally I would not even consider a REx 94Ah even if it was a couple of grand cheaper.

Like I said it depends on your situation. Personally I would not even consider a REx 94Ah even if it was a couple of grand cheaper.

106.gif

VCpURMW.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭eagerv

Wish there was a like button for your last two posts Mad_Lad....:D

eagerv wrote: »
    Wish there was a like button for your last two posts Mad_Lad....:D

Where did the like button go ? Unkel disabled it.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭handpref

Any of you lads been in for the KLE recall on the i3 ? Got a message come in on the car recently.
    Service bulletin 0061500500-

Text should be attached

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

handpref wrote: »
    Any of you lads been in for the KLE recall on the i3 ? Got a message come in on the car recently.
    Service bulletin 0061500500-

Text should be attached

Had mine done last October. It was in anyway because the breaks decided to stop working.

Mine didn't get recalled for anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Mine (2019 120Ah) had a recall for the granny charger, but nothing else so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Patser

Yes, got the KLE recall on mine (2014 BEV) - you might see it on BMW connect app too.

Interestingly I'm almost certain mine was replaced last year as a recall, when I brought my car in for a service. But I was told this recall only started in February and is being rolled out in batches, and they'll have to do mine again anyway to be sure. (Frank Keane Naas Rd)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Anyone care to hazard a guess at a sensible sale price for a 162 94ah i3 REx, 65km on the clock. Well specced with the bigger screen, park assist, HK speakers etc. Doesn't have leather or comfort access.

I also have a set of winter wheels that I could flog separately or haggle into the deal.

I got €20k for mine from a dealer last June.
    162 94 BEV with every single extra except for that active cruise control thing.
    Low miles too.

I’m with Unkel on this. I specifically went out looking for the BEV i3. I don’t like the Rex and never needed public chargers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I needed the REx but I'll be happy to get back to full EV.

The general public though are not the hardcore folks that we are. I think there's definitely still a strong market for the i3 REx even with the bigger batteries coming out.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I needed the REx but I'll be happy to get back to full EV.

The general public though are not the hardcore folks that we are. I think there's definitely still a strong market for the i3 REx even with the bigger batteries coming out.

Agree. The general public see the Rex as a hybrid IMO.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong. Loads of people that have a diesel now and know they will at some point have a full EV, will get a PHEV next. They call it the "best of both worlds" :D I'm saying nothing :D

In the market I don't think either BEV or REx i3 is worth more than the other, I guess they just appeal to different people with different priorities and needs. Personally I can see myself buying an i3 as a second family car at some point should finances allow, but I have absolutely no interest in one with a combustion engine

but I have absolutely no interest in one with a combustion engine

Give it up lad, it's getting boring at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Patser

Gumbo wrote: »
    Agree. The general public see the Rex as a hybrid IMO.

But not a 'self charging' one :pac:

Give it up lad, it's getting boring at this point.

That’s a little pot calling the kettle black, no?

I'd like to see a count of Mad_Lad's pro REx posts vs my con REx posts

I'd say that I'd lose. By an enormous margin :p Like 1000 to 7 or something :p

But what can I say to defend myself? I'm an EV fanboi and I have not so much time for plug in hybrids with combustion engines. Sorry if that offends someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,051 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

If I was living in a rural area with poor charging infrastructure I'd consider the Rex, but I think if you're living in Dublin or along a major route you usually have a couple of chargers to choose from if you're driving long distance, so the Rex is less attractive then

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    That’s a little pot calling the kettle black, no?

No it's not because the benefits of the Rex I highlight are real based on my experience, Unkel is someone who is completely against the idea of the Rex based on absolutely no experience and wants everyone to think that if it's not suitable for him then it's not suitable for anyone and my experiences of the Rex are highly positive because it's saved me huge amounts of time waiting on fast chargers when I took it long distance and I will continue to share this with People who might want to go electric but are thinking about it because the Public charging infrastructure is very poor and people need to be aware that it is poor and there might be queues and not only that, charging when the battery is cold can add significant amount of time to charging, all this People will be thankful they were made aware of when they arrive at a charging queue or sit and see battery charging at 25-35 Kw when the battery is cold and all they have to do is fill up in 8 seconds, pay and drive off to the next charger.

All this is much more positive and productive than just continuously saying that the Rex is useless and of no value based on absolutely no experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No it's not because the benefits of the Rex I highlight are real based on my experience, Unkel is someone who is completely against the idea of the Rex based on absolutely no experience and wants everyone to think that if it's not suitable for him then it's not suitable for anyone and my experiences of the Rex are highly positive because it's saved me huge amounts of time waiting on fast chargers when I took it long distance and I will continue to share this with People who might want to go electric but are thinking about it because the Public charging infrastructure is very poor and people need to be aware that it is poor and there might be queues and not only that, charging when the battery is cold can add significant amount of time to charging, all this People will be thankful they were made aware of when they arrive at a charging queue or sit and see battery charging at 25-35 Kw when the battery is cold and all they have to do is fill up in 8 seconds, pay and drive off to the next charger.

All this is much more positive and productive than just continuously saying that the Rex is useless and of no value based on absolutely no experience.

I can do that in my current vehicle! (1.9 diesel van)

If I was living in a rural area with poor charging infrastructure I'd consider the Rex, but I think if you're living in Dublin or along a major route you usually have a couple of chargers to choose from if you're driving long distance, so the Rex is less attractive then

Living in a rural area doesn't make any difference, it's when you travel from home and need to rely on the public network which is poor especially when you head South/west/north.

When a battery is cold in the i3 it might charge at only 25-35 kw vs 50 Kw that might have a significant impact on someone who isn't aware of it and also charging queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Hold on a minute, but didn't you create your own meme that you constantly post that says "I should have bought a Rex"?

Live by the sword, die by the sword and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm sick of seeing that nonsense meme, which was taken 3+ years ago when charging was free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Half of all EV and phev's are reg'd in Dublin, makes the most sense, anything you could want in range, most likely to get the maximum range per charge, me on the other hand, 2 hour drive from Dublin and I do not want to be extending that by 30 or 40 minutes, I will keep my phev till an EV comes that suites me and my budget.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'm sick of seeing that nonsense meme, which was taken 3+ years ago when charging was free.

Fortunately it's going to be replaced with a picture of an ID.3 making it home on a cold day with, glad I didn't spend more money on a heat pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭handpref

Patser wrote: »
    Yes, got the KLE recall on mine (2014 BEV) - you might see it on BMW connect app too.

Interestingly I'm almost certain mine was replaced last year as a recall, when I brought my car in for a service. But I was told this recall only started in February and is being rolled out in batches, and they'll have to do mine again anyway to be sure. (Frank Keane Naas Rd)

Nice one Patser, how long did they have it in for ?

Tried the new Colm Quinn BMW place in Drogheda but they didn’t get back to me.
    Keanes have been terrible in the past but if I have to il leave it back with them, many thanks

<<Mod Note: Snip, do not post this meme again to troll users>>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Kramer wrote: »
    REx is dead now

<<mod snip>>

The country is awash with sh*tty hybrids that have a few miles of electric range. The i3 REx and even the Ampera is streets ahead of every one of them.

REx is dead my arse.

Advertisement