Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What games have you been playing lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

Being dipping in and out of Apex Legends recently, decent battle royale type game and gun play is good. My PC does not like Warzone recently for some reason so cant play that. Also forgot to cancel my wow sub so theres another month of that to play, but I think im done with wow again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

In my neverending hunt for nostalgia as a balm for these troubled times, I've decided to have a go off some Gameboy emulators and rediscovered a certain magic animal based RPG from my youth. I'm sure the emulators themselves are above board, although the games themselves may vary. At any rate, they can both be found pretty easily.

It's gas how they managed to stuff so much content onto such a small piece of tech. 8mb IIRC. It's pretty much a flawless, if simple RPG. I played it on my tablet as well and there was no hassle, but it'd be handy for a modern version with touch screen support. Make it a bit more transportable. There's probably an android version for phone, but tablet is just the right size.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Got an RTX2060 laptop recently, so purchased Control to drool at some graphics. A few hours in and it's alright.

Also playing some coop games with the girlfriend at the moment. A little Rocket League, Cuphead and a bit of It Takes Two.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

Hell Let Loose and Escape From Tarkov :)

Glebee wrote: »
    Being dipping in and out of Apex Legends recently, decent battle royale type game and gun play is good. My PC does not like Warzone recently for some reason so cant play that. Also forgot to cancel my wow sub so theres another month of that to play, but I think im done with wow again.

Really enjoying Apex Legends, so easy to pick up and play once you learn the ropes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

Myself and my friend recently got Ps5's and jumped in Apex Legends. (We used to play it loads on our old consoles)

We won our first 4 out of 5 games and think we've now completely messed up our matchmaking.

Keep getting thrown in lobbies with pro's and don't last 2 minutes playing now.

Great game but incredibly frustrating at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

finally gave path of exile a go. decent depth to character builds and the levels are cool but combat is really dull. i'm a marauder and just keep my cyclone button held. that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Starting playing that free WW2 shooter Enlisted. It's actually fairly solid, great gunplay. Feels like a hybrid between COD2 and newer Battlefield games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Tried enlisted for a few hours and found it boring as fcuk killing bots in a multiplayer fps game, went back to Hell let Loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I finally beat Dragon Quest VIII on the 3DS (haven't done the Dragovian Trials yet).

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    Tried enlisted for a few hours and found it boring as fcuk killing bots in a multiplayer fps game, went back to Hell let Loose.

Ok i played some more and got to the level required to play without AI and its 10x better.
    Maps are very nice but the sound sare really poor, good gunplay not hyper realistic like hell let Loose but fun game without the AI squad mode imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Just upgraded my PC from the brink of death so I can now actually start using it again. Any Discord groups about? looking to start playing Tarkov and a few bits.

So yeah Enlisted, i fecking love it after initially not liking it.
    Even squad mode which i particularly disliked is a joy to play.
    The grind is real so i put €10 into it to but the premium account for a month and things are now moving along nicely.
    I done so to get to some of the iconic weapons to distribute around my squads which really ups the enjoyment and immersion.
    Id sum it up as a WW2 shooter/RPG gunplay is the highlight for sure its fantastic.
    Its an odd cocktail it has hitmarkers like COD and kill fed but has realistic tones, more realistic than BFV but no so much as hell let Loose its a nice balance to be fair msking it a lot more enjoyable than BFV.
    Progression is in a league of its own hence the reference to RPG games, it really is an RPG with deep customization and skill trees,weapon upgrades via a crafting system etc.
    Its a great looking game too with some really great maps , dice should hire these guys to make maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's really good, I also bought the Battle Pass/Premium as well.

Squads mode is great, it might be a lot of AI but it keeps them moving at a crazy pace with huge scale, and being able to switch between members and kit them out RPG style is fantastic...also, downing the enemy human controlled "squad leader" and finishing them off is super satisfying

Gunplay is also really good, way more heft and impact than the likes of Battlefield, let alone COD. Bolt action rifles haven't been this fun in a long time. Great maps as well, potential for flanking is incredible, and the environments are excellent, creeping through the foliage and scrub has never been better.

Really solid thumbs up from me. Even if you just play it free and don't get the premium, it's still a lot of fun.

Speaking of downing the player from squad, im not seeing any indication onscreen for this what am i missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,835 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

In the Battle Royale scene, Apex Legends is having a good week with it's Season 8 launch, new Arena 3v3 mode and Jetpack-centric legend release, Valkyrie. Have had tons of fun exploiting Valk's unique mobility in the game. She is definitely a tank even though the game recognizes no such class, you end up kiting huge sums of damage for your team because of all the dodging and flying you do, but that also limits how much shooting you do. Her tactical ability is decently balanced, her ultimate is very situational but is offset by the underlying jetpack mechanic itself which is separate from either the tactical or ultimate recharge timers.

Overheal wrote: »
    In the Battle Royale scene, Apex Legends is having a good week with it's Season 8 launch, new Arena 3v3 mode and Jetpack-centric legend release, Valkyrie. Have had tons of fun exploiting Valk's unique mobility in the game. She is definitely a tank even though the game recognizes no such class, you end up kiting huge sums of damage for your team because of all the dodging and flying you do, but that also limits how much shooting you do. Her tactical ability is decently balanced, her ultimate is very situational but is offset by the underlying jetpack mechanic itself which is separate from either the tactical or ultimate recharge timers.

Apex is great at the moment, really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Just upgraded my PC from the brink of death so I can now actually start using it again. Any Discord groups about? looking to start playing Tarkov and a few bits.

https://discord.gg/7w5hqsQM

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Apex imo is the best BR out there right now so enjoyable to play win or lose the movement and gunplay has such a nice feel to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Bought a super console x a couple of months ago.
    It plays older style retro consoles. Amiga , cpc 464 , PlayStation 1 , Dreamcast, N64 , SNES , MAME etc etc

Very far removed from today’s level of technical capabilities however I must say I’m getting a lot of value from my €100 outlay.

52000 games pre built in.
    2 wireless controllers
    Tiny console the size of two cigarette boxes

If your into retro you could do worse.

• Advertisement

dalyboy wrote: »
    Bought a super console x a couple of months ago.
    It plays older style retro consoles. Amiga , cpc 464 , PlayStation 1 , Dreamcast, N64 , SNES , MAME etc etc

Very far removed from today’s level of technical capabilities however I must say I’m getting a lot of value from my €100 outlay.

52000 games pre built in.
    2 wireless controllers
    Tiny console the size of two cigarette boxes

If your into retro you could do worse.

Where did you get it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Where did you get it from?

Aliexpress
    4 weeks for delivery

Apex is great at the moment, really enjoying it.
    Dave1711 wrote: »
    Apex imo is the best BR out there right now so enjoyable to play win or lose the movement and gunplay has such a nice feel to it

Witness this absolutely schadenfreudistic final round

https://www.facebook.com/gaming/fraghero/videos/183557963627415/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Witness this absolutely schadenfreudistic final round

https://www.facebook.com/gaming/fraghero/videos/183557963627415/

Unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Eve online ( again ) - Dusted off my old account and started playing it again, without putting much pressure on myself and just doing solo No Friends Billy style. Enjoying it a lot and I do pretty much pve stuff. Got myself setup Battleship for missions, cheap mining Barge for afking while watching TV with misses and nice Frigate for Abyssal content, which is pretty fun. Kind of my relax game.

Mad Max - played it long time ago, but it kept crashing, but got an urge to ay it again and having a lot of fun. It's not a perfect game, but great fun for Mad Max fans and it feels very satisfying. Driving in it feels so rewarding and it's fun upgrading your Rust bucket it to monstrosity!

Hardspace: shipbreakers. Was waiting to see next update, as it was not updated for a while. Was interested in it, but was afraid it got abandoned. New update came out few days ago and I finally pulled a trigger tonight.
    Played only for an hour and a half, but it is actually pretty damn cool. Still in tutorial phase, but atmosphere with soundtrack makes it kind of relaxed and fun experience, definitely will play more tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I had a notion about playing Civ 5 again. I had the Civ itch, and Civ 6 just doesn't do it for me.
    I also did a bit of modding, just to add some extra variation. I've played over 2000 hours of it, so I need the sort of fresh take that tweaking some features can bring.

A favourite of mine is playing a giant mod map of the Earth with accurate start locations for the civs, and settling cities where they are in real life. I also settle foreign cities and then run their names through google translate.:o

It's very much my version of comfort gaming.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Lots of Stellaris, which is in a fantastic state at the moment. Well on my way to conquering the galaxy at the moment, but i think i might just wipe it out eventually.

Trails of Cold Steel 4 when i'm not playing the above. Love the series, and looking forward to the conclusion of this arc.

Jedi Fallen Order again as well, and enjoying it after surprisingly not finishing it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Kiith wrote: »
    Lots of Stellaris, which is in a fantastic state at the moment. Well on my way to conquering the galaxy at the moment, but i think i might just wipe it out eventually.

Trails of Cold Steel 4 when i'm not playing the above. Love the series, and looking forward to the conclusion of this arc.

Jedi Fallen Order again as well, and enjoying it after surprisingly not finishing it before.

Came here to post that I had just gotten into Stellaris. Only started it last night for the first time but was one of those cases where I lost 3 hours in the blink of an eye so will be playing a lot more. Going to delete my save and start again because I find the game isn't great at telling you the consequences of some of your actions (e.g. took some treaty or other to boost research, I didn't realise that used up influence which was my scarcest resource at the time) but it seems awesome anyway. I'd actually picked up a load of the DLC over time for buttons, but never got around to playing it, so I am only missing a couple of them.

I see you mention the game is in good shape at the moment which is good obviously, and in stark contrast to EUIV which I see the latest DLC is basically causing riots.

Otherwise, playing TWW2 which I could probably just play endlessly, have been going up through the difficulties over time so playing my first very hard campaign at the moment. Legendary and not being able to save scum might be a step too far for me.

Finished Divinity OS2 about 2 weeks ago, it's just brilliant. For anyone with a remote interest in RPGs and you haven't played it then play it.

I’ll remember to give stellaris a shake. Cannot remember which space 4x I played most recently but I ended up hating it.

Not Sins though. Always loved Sins of a solar empire. :D bit old at this stage though and been succeeded I’m sure

edit: It was endless space, I found it boring.

• Advertisement

I'd say for 5 days in a row I've been trying to get a perfect run of the 2nd level of Ghost Warrior Contracts on Deadeye difficulty. Killing the guy in 5 mins wasn't that hard and there's several ways to approach that in the time limit (and I've probably done most of them now) but playing through the map without alarms is a struggle especially when I'm trying to throttle how much checkpoint wiping I do (sometimes enemies don't respawn before you loot them and its OCD hell)

Advertisement