Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laws Question? Ask here!

Options

Comments

sydthebeat wrote: »
    its not 'dead' when the attacking team put it out for a line out off a penalty (as per your question)... that is the point.

think about it like this... the play between the penalty being kicked to touch and been thrown back in is considered to be still "open play"

thats why a penalty can be kicked to touch after the clock has gone into the red

otherwise a player can come back on when the ball goes dead ie the ref blows his whistle to stop the play for whatever reason ie knock on, foul play etc

Right so, back to my original point, I just think it'd be better that once 80 minutes are on the clock no-one can come back on. Since the only way the ball can be dead but the game not over is for the defending team to give away a penalty.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,038 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Right so, back to my original point, I just think it'd be better that once 80 minutes are on the clock no-one can come back on. Since the only way the ball can be dead but the game not over is for the defending team to give away a penalty.

the attacking team arent absolved from giving away penalties either.

the attacking team arent absolved from giving away penalties either.

If the attacking team are ahead they'll kick it out.
    If the attacking team are behind and give away a penalty then the final whistle is blown then no?

If the attacking team are ahead they'll kick it out.
    If the attacking team are behind and give away a penalty then the final whistle is blown then no?

no.. the defending team, the team ahead, still have to tap the ball and then kick it dead.

the point im making is that youve said
    the only way the ball can be dead but the game not over is for the defending team to give away a penalty

and i was just showing you that thats not correct.

in the case of Samson Lee coming back on in that game... france had a penalty and decided to scrum. If they had have chosen to tap and go then Lee wouldnt have been back on the pitch. So its arguable that it was the attacking teams decision which allowed the defender back onto the pitch.

i do agree that clarification should be given on the situation (maybe it already has?)... but i dont agree that there should be a blanket ban on a player returning just because the clock has gone red.

what if the winning team and down to 14.. need a TBP ... whats stopping them fouling and getting their player back on the pitch... knowing the losing team arent going to kick the ball dead?

It happens so rarely anyway.... i cant actually recall any similar situation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Not correct

If the referee stops the clock after giving a penalty then someone can come on. He might need to stop the clock to allow an injured player get attention, to speak to a captain, or for a number of other reasons.

• Advertisement

It happens so rarely anyway.... i cant actually recall any similar situation

How often can you think of a situation where a team manages to retain possession for 10 minutes without turning the ball over, knocking it on, infringing at a ruck or getting knocked into touch. Never mind all of this being after 80 minutes of play with fatigued players.

It's a complete edge case that doesn't really warrant any change in the laws

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Can a quick lineout be taken by the attacking team from their own penalty? Say for example the attacking team have a penalty in the corner on the 5M line. They kick to the corner where their wily scrumhalf (or anyone) collects the ball and immediately throws the ball to the waiting backline?

I assume a quick lineout is not permissible from your own touchfinder.

Can a quick lineout be taken by the attacking team from their own penalty? Say for example the attacking team have a penalty in the corner on the 5M line. They kick to the corner where their wily scrumhalf (or anyone) collects the ball and immediately throws the ball to the waiting backline?

I think a player needs the refs permission to deliberately leave the field of play....

Don't they?

Law 6.7

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Still is the case. If an incident occurs after a try has been awarded the ref can award a penalty on halfway against the infringing side.

Is the same to be said for a high tackle as the try is scored or is itnonly activity after the ball's been touched down?

blackwhite wrote: »
    How often can you think of a situation where a team manages to retain possession for 10 minutes without turning the ball over, knocking it on, infringing at a ruck or getting knocked into touch. Never mind all of this being after 80 minutes of play with fatigued players.

It's a complete edge case that doesn't really warrant any change in the laws

i think buttonftws point still applies if someone was binned in say, the 71st minute... can come back on in the 81st minute ie anytime after the clock goes red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It technically could happen but no good ref would allow it to. Management of situation would stop that.
    dregin wrote: »
    Is the same to be said for a high tackle as the try is scored or is itnonly activity after the ball's been touched down?
    A try is scored when the attacking player grounds the ball, and any foul play that occurs after that can result in a PK on halfway
    If ball hasnt been grounded then it isnt a try so cant be a penalty on halfway for something thats happened before a try is scofred

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

For the record I think that you are all giving teams waaaaayyyyy too much credit to come up with these scenarios in order to get a player back onto the pitch.

At amateur level they hardly know the basic laws never mind the minute details that you are all going on about (interesting as it is) at the pro level you can see from the game management in some of the recent matches that such thinking is beyond them and I doubt that many of them are any ways knowledgeable about the laws.

Ive seen a player, his team down to 14 and they score a try just at HT , he dropped kicked the ball over the bar instead of taking the full 90secs after the try and run down the YC clock, thats a simple case and they couldnt work it out.

Another team in a final scored with 60secs left on the clock to take a 2 point lead. Kicker asks me how long left I told him 30secs at this stage. He then quickly took the kick, so we had to have a restart, even when they took the restart kick they still played on which almost caught me out as I just assumed they would kick it off the pitch.

Tactics and basic law knowledge is something that it sadly lacking in the game at all levels !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

If you were running with the ball and managed to get a defender to turn his back to you are you allowed to push him over?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

If someone is taking a penalty kick to touch and it bounces in field first, whose lineout is it?

Pussyhands wrote: »
    If someone is taking a penalty kick to touch and it bounces in field first, whose lineout is it?

Bounce doesn't matter, it's still the kicking team's throw.

Sometimes see it where a penalty is taken quickly with wingers/full back out of position where the kicker looks to get every possible inch from it

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If you were running with the ball and managed to get a defender to turn his back to you are you allowed to push him over?

Technically , yes - You are the ball carrier and you are entitled to push past a defender regardless of the direction they are facing.

To supplement the above answer, with which I don't disagree:

(a) Law 9, Foul Play. 9.24 A ball-carrier is permitted to hand off an opponent provided excessive force is not used.

(b) Definitions: Hand-off: A permitted action, taken by a ball-carrier to fend off an opponent, using the palm of the hand.

As you can see, the hand-off is permissible "to fend off an opponent". I believe most refs would give a lot of latitude - the fact that an opponent is close enough to make physical contact with your hand would generally entitle you to fend them off. It would not concern me unduly that the player had turned his back to you as you both maneuvred - presumably he is twisting and turning in the attempt to get to grips with you or is in any event in your way as the ball-carrier. You are entitled to push them away using a permissible hand-off (palm of the hand, no excessive force).

However, you can't just shove him to the ground gratuitously. I would emphasise that if he's close enough to touch he's probably fair game for a hand-off though. You are not expected to "wait" for him to get into position or whatever.

If this had an effect on play, e.g. if a ball-carrier gratutitously pushed an opponent over who was clearly trying to get into position to mark another player's run versus tackle the ball player, I would strongly consider a penalty for obstruction. Even more so, obviously, if the ball-carrier then off-loaded to another player who the obstructed player might have been able to tackle.

But the ball carrier is entitled to quite literally fend other players off - that means they can clear them out of their way to make progress themselves, using the hand off. If that's what's happening that's fine.

When ball-carriers do something illegal in this area it tends to be more of a grasping/pulling actions - grabbing at the non-ball carrier and hauling them down as the ball carrier is tackled even where the opponent so grabbed is not trying to be part of the tackle. This is usually reasonably obvious

I think it would be much harder to identify as obstruction where a pushing action is used and penalties should be awarded for clear and obvious offences only. Certainly, unless the push resulted in the pushed player going to ground, I would expect little or no impact on play, so play on.

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would think it's an unlikely scenario as turning your back on an advancing ball carrier close enough for them to be able to fend you off is likely to be quite dangerous, no?

awec wrote: »
    I would think it's an unlikely scenario as turning your back on an advancing ball carrier close enough for them to be able to fend you off is likely to be quite dangerous, no?

I can see it happening where there is some twisting and turning and the defender so ends up momentarily facing away with both players in motion. The defender might be running back tracking the ball carrier and another attacker, all players in motion and is somewhat going between the two attackers, again turning/orientating their body one way and the other as they do. If the ball-carrier e.g. dummies, the defender might end up facing away from the ball carrier and facing the other player.

You could also see it where the ball-carrier checks and the defender has come across and goes past them, again showing their back or primarily that aspect/orientation to the attacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

James Lowe is an expert at this :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

An unlikely but very possible scenario is two players (one attacking and one defending) running back for the same ball which has been kicked through with the defending player winning the foot race. However, the ball lands and bounces back over the defending player's into the hands of the chasing opposition who now has a lovely target of the defending player's back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

How long is it going to take before all tacklers start bending at the hips do you reckon? It's becoming a bit of a spectator shambles at the minute watching 15-20 mins of slowmo replays every match. Is there a simpler way for world rugby to make sure the tackler is never going into a tackle upright as that always seems to be causing the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

It'll be a slow process but we will get there.

How many tackles in the air do you see nowadays ? and the same with spear tackles. Both effectively red carded out of the game.

The same will happen with the tackle height.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Shelflife wrote: »
    It'll be a slow process but we will get there.

How many tackles in the air do you see nowadays ? and the same with spear tackles. Both effectively red carded out of the game.

The same will happen with the tackle height.

It will eventually go that way once we get refs to be more consistent - outliers like Mathieu Raynal need to be smacked down by the ref authorities.

Saw there that Super Rugby have goal line dropouts for grounding the ball in goal, knock-on in goal and for attacking teams getting held up over the line. Those seem like 3 scenarios that should have very different outcomes surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Saw there that Super Rugby have goal line dropouts for grounding the ball in goal, knock-on in goal and for attacking teams getting held up over the line. Those seem like 3 scenarios that should have very different outcomes surely?

They’re trialing it in the Rainbow Cup also, I’m not a fan of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Probably should but reducing scrums in some places could be a good thing.
    What different outcomes would you have for each scenario?

Anything that encourages play to be more open and space orientated should be a positive in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Idea is to try and encourage more attacking rugby and reduce the number of scrums to keep the ball in play longer.

Grounding the ball in goal leading to a goal line drop out as opposed to a 22 encourages the attacking team to try kick through a bit more and doesn't reset play back in the attacking teams half.

Knock-on in goal is pretty much just removing the scrum and allowing the defensive team an easy exit from an attacking situation.

Held up rewards the defensive team as they're not facing another tight 5m scrum, but also gives the attacking team another chance to run it back by creating a bit more space. Would also discourage some of the constant pick and go in tight spaces for fear of being held up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Just watching re-run of the Dragons v Scarlets game in Rainbow Cup. Scarlets first try, turnover the commentators are calling a rip in the tackle. But the tackled player was on the ground, on his back. They don't show the angle that clearly shows this in this clip: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4iea_mfip2k

But a fella running back from the Dragons side of the ball rips the ball from the player on that ground. Presume that should be a penalty?

Advertisement