Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Muttley79 wrote: »
    https://waterford-news.ie/2021/03/22/waterford-wexford-line-confirmed-for-all-island-strategic-rail-review/
    Hopefully this happens as it's a great gateway for the whole south east region

It would not kill them to at least trail a Rosslare-Waterford-Limerick-Galway service at sensible times of the day. It is not like they have to build new tracks, it’s all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I seriously doubt 2.5m people have free travel

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20469806.html

Ok, maybe a slight over exaggeration on my behalf but still way too many!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20469806.html

Ok, maybe a slight over exaggeration on my behalf but still way too many!

wonder how much economic activity it produces

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

It may be worth reflecting on whether it'd be better to spend that money on projects linking Waterford to other cities and towns in the region, or spending more of it on projects directly in Waterford and other cities and towns in the region.

In my opinion we might be better off investing in projects which will increase the density of places like Waterford, so that more people are living closer to the services they need.

If there is greater density in the city there will be greater scope for improving infrastructure for walking/cycling/taking public transport and reducing reliance on car ownership.

At the moment I think we're stuck in a repetitive cycle of allowing houses to be built too far away from services, and then trying to put solutions in place to get people from unsuitable locations to the places where services are located.

hardybuck wrote: »
    It may be worth reflecting on whether it'd be better to spend that money on projects linking Waterford to other cities and towns in the region, or spending more of it on projects directly in Waterford and other cities and towns in the region.

In my opinion we might be better off investing in projects which will increase the density of places like Waterford, so that more people are living closer to the services they need.

If there is greater density in the city there will be greater scope for improving infrastructure for walking/cycling/taking public transport and reducing reliance on car ownership.

At the moment I think we're stuck in a repetitive cycle of allowing houses to be built too far away from services, and then trying to put solutions in place to get people from unsuitable locations to the places where services are located.

its a difficult balance, having too many people living together causes a rise in social problems which is costly in many ways, not just financially, yet too far away, also costs a fortune to run

• Advertisement

its a difficult balance, having too many people living together causes a rise in social problems which is costly in many ways, not just financially, yet too far away, also costs a fortune to run

I think there is considerable scope to increase the density of the city centre, and it may actually improve some social issues caused by isolation and limited access to services.

Anyone who has walked around the city after dark will know how empty it is, even pre-Covid, and I'm sure many people would feel quite vulnerable and unsafe.

There's talk of the M20 project (which could have a Waterford element) costing between €2-3bn to complete (and the rest). Imagine what you could do in Waterford if you even got 20% of that to improve facilities in the city.

I think there is considerable scope to increase the density of the city centre, and it may actually improve some social issues caused by isolation and limited access to services.

Anyone who has walked around the city after dark will know how empty it is, even pre-Covid, and I'm sure many people would feel quite vulnerable and unsafe.

There's talk of the M20 project (which could have a Waterford element) costing between €2-3bn to complete (and the rest). Imagine what you could do in Waterford if you even got 20% of that to improve facilities in the city.

i hear you, but id still argue, that it would probably increase some social problems, theres plenty of evidence to show this globally, critical infrastructure networks such as water works, electricity, broadband etc etc, tend to become strained, as its costly and complex to also expand these networks, in order to truly facilitate this population growth

i hear you, but id still argue, that it would probably increase some social problems, theres plenty of evidence to show this globally, critical infrastructure networks such as water works, electricity, broadband etc etc, tend to become strained, as its costly and complex to also expand these networks, in order to truly facilitate this population growth

We have the same problem in Ireland caused by allowing too much one-off housing, which adds to the cost of bringing services to those people (water, roads, electricity, broadband, waste collection, schools, post offices etc.).

In my opinion cities like Waterford would be better off if they had density more similar to what you'd see in places like Germany or Holland.

We have the same problem in Ireland caused by allowing too much one-off housing, which adds to the cost of bringing services to those people (water, roads, electricity, broadband, waste collection, schools, post offices etc.).

In my opinion cities like Waterford would be better off if they had density more similar to what you'd see in places like Germany or Holland.

again, i do agree, but we also have a history of plough up buildings, fill them with people, then worry about our critical infrastructure needs later, or not at all. the dublin region is in serious trouble regarding its water works, its working at maximum capacity a lot of the time, many parts of it are well over a century old and crumbling, this is where you dont want to be in the future, it just becomes too expensive and too complex to rectify when it gets to that stage. all this needs to be done first before ploughing up any buildings, and that aint cheap

wonder how much economic activity it produces

Commercial or drug related?

• Advertisement

Commercial or drug related?

both of course, both can and do produce economic activities, by the looks of it, most free pass holders are pensioners, so id imagine many do spend on their trips, many other none pensioners probably also do to

both of course, both can and do produce economic activities, by the looks of it, most free pass holders are pensioners, so id imagine many do spend on their trips, many other none pensioners probably also do to

You'll have to start travelling W'

You'll have to start travelling W'

ah im breaking enough traveling rules at the moment, how come?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Has footlocker closed down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

sure has.

sure has.

the first of many i suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Is that the terrace they have at the restaurant level at the moment or another one?

Deiseen wrote:
    Is that the terrace they have at the restaurant level at the moment or another one?

Don't know to be honest, but I have to say, it does look well, but....

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

As far as I know they built out the original beer garden that was there and added it out by extra decking.however they then built a further terrace further down closer to the beach.it has added massively to tramore but planning is there for a reason.for the owner that made his money in construction yeah think he would have known better.would be equivalent to somebody building the taj mahal and arguing that it's grand sure.he probably get a slap on the wrist and a fine for it

• Advertisement

Muttley79 wrote:
    As far as I know they built out the original beer garden that was there and added it out by extra decking.however they then built a further terrace further down closer to the beach.it has added massively to tramore but planning is there for a reason.for the owner that made his money in construction yeah think he would have known better.would be equivalent to somebody building the taj mahal and arguing that it's grand sure.he probably get a slap on the wrist and a fine for it

Oh don't worry, he's no fool, he knew exactly what he was at

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Oh don't worry, he's no fool, he knew exactly what he was at

Yeah, he basically said it in that article above. He did it deliberately in the hopes that people would like it and complain, making the council look like the bad guys for enforcing the planning laws. It's similar to the Homesavers fiasco.

If he had applied for permission and it had been refused, I would have totally disagreed with the decision and thought it was hindering progress, but the fact he flouted the rules I have no sympathy

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭spaceCreated

Yeah, he basically said it in that article above. He did it deliberately in the hopes that people would like it and complain, making the council look like the bad guys for enforcing the planning laws. It's similar to the Homesavers fiasco.

If he had applied for permission and it had been refused, I would have totally disagreed with the decision and thought it was hindering progress, but the fact he flouted the rules I have no sympathy

Maybe if he was more cultural theyd have no issues with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Retrospective planning permission (retention) is pure cute horedom. Build it and then trust the planning authority is weak willed.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

https://waterford-news.ie/2021/04/04/whiskey-maturation-site-at-ballygarran-granted-planning-permission/
    Good to see industrial park by the airport getting some much needed investment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford 2040 "Find Your Future" web launch with the leader FG leader and various others. Robert Finnegan (chair of Waterford 2040), Michael Walsh (County CEO) and Annette Connolly (Chamber of Commerce)

About 30 minutes.

Some inevitable misreading bullsh1t from Leo Varadkar about Waterford loosing confidence in the post industrial era. No, we just got ignored at a time of need Leo! Stuff about 2040 plan and 2024 short term development plan by Waterford Coco and I'll now watch the rest :)

edit - don't bother yourself really. Just read the newspaper summary.

Some inevitable misreading bullsh1t from Leo Varadkar about Waterford loosing confidence in the post industrial era. No, we just got ignored at a time of need Leo! Stuff about 2040 plan and 2024 short term development plan by Waterford Coco and I'll now watch the rest

Not ta worry, we re quickly moving into the globalised capital world, so we ll be proper screwed soon, or more so your kids, grandkids, nieces and nephews, very worrying stuff, local property markets are gonna be a wreck after this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Anyone know what they're building beside Costa Ardkeen?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

kuang1 wrote:

Camille Thai restaurant I believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

kuang1 wrote: »

I see there's planning permission for a restaurant. It's under Frisby's name, so it doesn't say what restaurant is going in. The floor plans have the grill specifically marked as a charcoal grill, so maybe Burger King?

Advertisement