Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I used to work in the center, I'd take some convincing it was free or that there was enough of it.

Where did you park and whereabouts did you work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Deiseen wrote: »
    Where did you park and whereabouts did you work?

About 200 yards from the library often parked out at the car park near Tesco and walked in.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Deiseen

About 200 yards from the library often parked out at the car park near Tesco and walked in.

So what, Millers Marsh?

How can you call that expensive if that is where you parked?

Last I checked it was €3.60 for the day so I am not sure what you would consider a fair price? The bus would cost more!

Deiseen wrote: »
    So what, Millers Marsh?

How can you call that expensive if that is where you parked?

Last I checked it was €3.60 for the day so I am not sure what you would consider a fair price? The bus would cost more!

Fine until you need to go off to another work site and you waste 15 minutes walking back to the car, then have the same when you get back if you can find a space after 9 am or risk driving around for ages looking for on street parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

You mean because its such a run down dump it can't get any worse?

Its the ass end of town and does expand the city but back into an old run down part of town.
    If people don't have the money to come into town to spend it then I don't see the point.
    I don't but its fairly obvious people haven't been spending it in Waterford along with other towns and cities for a good few years now because of all the empty shops.
    Start by spending the money on easy free parking then.

But no the council would prefer to make it as difficult as possible for people to get into town and park a car to go shopping.

Maybe a council of despair but I do despair of the council.
    I shop in Dungarvan and get free parking, hour and a half free in Scanlon,s yard then free in Aldi or Lidl.

Imagine Aldi or Lidl charging for parking?

Wind up merchant

You appear to have many issues with Waterford be they the regeneration of an area in town that doesn't offer anything, people have no money to spend, give the same people with no money free parking and somehow that'll improve things, Aldi and Lidl in Dungarvan both have free parking (not sure how that's relevant?) as Aldi on Cork Road has free parking and possibly free parking at Ardkeen for both. All of this completely ignores the fact that most cities are trying to discourage private car use within the urban areas as this will allow the streets to be repurposed (O' Connell St for example) and will also reduce carbon emissions. Car free urban areas will also make them a more attractive places to live thereby bringing life into them.

The free parking in Dungarvan came about when the Square was being reconstructed and the Council has kept it going since which they should be credited for. However the Supervalu and shopping centre are paid parking and people seem happy to pay (probably because they have money and their city counterparts don't?!)

Wind up merchant or clutching at straws :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Why would you compare Waterford city to a small town like Dungarvan? IN the city there are at least five or six shopping centres available with free car parking. City centre retail is suffering from on line, which is biggest threat to all retail, plus drift to Dublin and Kildare, same as every place, but this is suffering as well. There is probably more retail around Ardkeen than in Dungarvan.

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Why would you compare Waterford city to a small town like Dungarvan? IN the city there are at least five or six shopping centres available with free car parking. City centre retail is suffering from on line, which is biggest threat to all retail, plus drift to Dublin and Kildare, same as every place, but this is suffering as well. There is probably more retail around Ardkeen than in Dungarvan.

Again you are making the point why go into the center of Waterford?

For me there is no incentive along with slow traffic and inconvenient parking mean I don't ever go their unless there is something specifically I want.

People use online shopping because its often cheaper than bricks and mortar shops and has been made very easy. So my take is that the first thing the council need to do is make it easy to shop in Waterford - for me it isn't.

I don't particularly dislike Waterford and often come in to use the likes of Halfords, Woodies, Homebase and Tesco while I'm that part of town but I rarely now go into the center.

If I'm going to fight through traffic and pay for parking then imo there is a better day out to be had in Cork, but again I wouldn't go to Cork unless there was something I actually wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Again you are making the point why go into the center of Waterford?

For me there is no incentive along with slow traffic and inconvenient parking mean I don't ever go their unless there is something specifically I want.

People use online shopping because its often cheaper than bricks and mortar shops and has been made very easy. So my take is that the first thing the council need to do is make it easy to shop in Waterford - for me it isn't.

I don't particularly dislike Waterford and often come in to use the likes of Halfords, Woodies, Homebase and Tesco while I'm that part of town but I rarely now go into the center.

If I'm going to fight through traffic and pay for parking then imo there is a better day out to be had in Cork, but again I wouldn't go to Cork unless there was something I actually wanted.

Why don't you expect parking to be free in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think the first priority will be to encourage more residential development into Waterford city centre rather than its suburbs, and develop facilities for its residents (and the tourists who will stay for 1+ nights).

This type of development will rightly take priority over developing facilities for people to drive from rural areas and smaller towns to cities like Waterford.

We can expect greater urban density to facilitate future population growth (which is likely to be significant). Residents can look forward to developments which are more sympathetic to pedestrians, cyclists and public transport users.

People who want to drive and park near an Aldi, Next or a Woodies can continue to use the retail parks - or go to the likes of Dungarvan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I missed it but they were discussing related matters on WLR earlier. Plenty of hostility to losing a car park on the Quays.

• Advertisement

I missed it but they were discussing related matters on WLR earlier. Plenty of hostility to losing a car park on the Quays.

The problem is more the type of parking on the Quays. Need to have multistorey carparks concealed behind buildings not spread out along a mile of the city centre. Places like the surface carparks on Exchange St and the back of the Book Centre are crying out to be made multistorey carparks.

BBM77 wrote: »
    Why don't you expect parking to be free in Cork?

I don't expect parking to be free in Cork because although they have the usual city traffic problems, but less so than Waterford, I can almost guarantee to get a parking space right in the center. There are a lot more shops I like to visit in Cork and they lay out of the town in nicer so there's my incentive for going in that direction. Waterfords issue is that its almost linear in the way its laid out and instead of it being a nice linearlayout along a estuary with views of the river its got great views of car parks. You have to walk from one end of Waterford and back but in Cork you can walk around if that makes sense.

In comparison with no particular incentive for me to shop in Waterford there then the cost of parking becomes a disincentive.

I don't envy the planners but they need to do something more radical rather than titivating what they have already.

BBM77 wrote: »
    The problem is more the type of parking on the Quays. Need to have multistorey carparks concealed behind buildings not spread out along a mile of the city centre. Places like the surface carparks on Exchange St and the back of the Book Centre are crying out to be made multistorey carparks.

I fully support the idea of more multi storey car parks. I lived a good few years in Guildford in the UK and there were so many similar looking multi story car parks that people used to forget which one their car was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

I fully support the idea of more multi storey car parks. I lived a good few years in Guildford in the UK and there were so many similar looking multi story car parks that people used to forget which one their car was in.

So based on your posts above, should free or vastly reduced parking rates be one of the priority things that the local council should do to rejuvenate the city centre...?

First thing would be to increase parking. If you are in town early during the week when no one is in the shops but all the shops are open and business operating then most of the car parks are nearly full. So what capacity does that allow for shoppers. Its the same in Dungarvan and you can see with all the shops closed but the town full how many car parking spaces are taken up by people working in town.

Multistory carparks put in where they are only really noticed by their entrances and exits would be ideal then get rid of all the car parks along the river. The council can spend as much money as they can get turning that into an amenity area, maybe allow 3-4 small take away coffee shops along the the whole length to save people crossing the road.

Free parking for short stay in the center which I know the council have the ability to police and free parking on the outskirts of the town once there is enough parking.

But none of that will happen because I don't think the council want to spend money on parking, there are no green credentials to be gained by doing anything to facilitate car drivers.

First thing would be to increase parking. If you are in town early during the week when no one is in the shops but all the shops are open and business operating then most of the car parks are nearly full. So what capacity does that allow for shoppers. Its the same in Dungarvan and you can see with all the shops closed but the town full how many car parking spaces are taken up by people working in town.

Multistory carparks put in where they are only really noticed by their entrances and exits would be ideal then get rid of all the car parks along the river. The council can spend as much money as they can get turning that into an amenity area, maybe allow 3-4 small take away coffee shops along the the whole length to save people crossing the road.

Free parking for short stay in the center which I know the council have the ability to police and free parking on the outskirts of the town once there is enough parking.

But none of that will happen because I don't think the council want to spend money on parking, there are no green credentials to be gained by doing anything to facilitate car drivers.

One other factor to consider is how to deal with the non council owned or controlled car parks?

The other thing that would be an interesting exercise would be to undertake some sort of survey/Analysis of the parking and find out how many spaces are filled by same car for the whole day half day etc etc.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I think that is insane, barring a few days around xmas, I have zero issues getting parking in Waterford pre covid. Last xmas just gone was even quieter for obvious reasons, got a space every time, no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I never understood the complaints about parking, half the town is a f*cking car park. What more do you want? A handy excuse for some people I think.

I never understood the complaints about parking, half the town is a f*cking car park. What more do you want? A handy excuse for some people I think.

They want to be able to park outside the front door of every shop. Ridiculous attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    One other factor to consider is how to deal with the non council owned or controlled car parks?

Compulsory Purchase Order as they did with this part at the back of Clock Tower, where the pedestrian bridge to the North Quays is to start with a big plaza in front of it.

But is the money for CPO in Council's coffers?

• Advertisement

The door to door mentality is quite something when you consider that 2 generations ago half the country didn't own a car. We've become very spoilt very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Muttley79 wrote: »

Great news,but we only trotting behind Corks E400m investment

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

niallo76 wrote: »
    Great news,but we only trotting behind Corks E400m investment

We got about over €100m including North Quays money, Cork €400m. 4 times as much but then the population of Cork City is about 4 times that of Waterford City so we probably can't complain on this one.

Exactly, and it's for basically the same type of development isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mad Peggy

nothing that is planned in this town ever happens and thats a fact

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I know! It's all just green fields. All the buildings, plazas, etc. are just optical illusions.

Mad Peggy wrote: »
    nothing that is planned in this town ever happens and thats a fact

This wins the ‘dumbest post of week’...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Muttley79

https://waterford-news.ie/2021/03/22/waterford-wexford-line-confirmed-for-all-island-strategic-rail-review/
    Hopefully this happens as it's a great gateway for the whole south east region

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Muttley79 wrote: »
    https://waterford-news.ie/2021/03/22/waterford-wexford-line-confirmed-for-all-island-strategic-rail-review/
    Hopefully this happens as it's a great gateway for the whole south east region

With half the country on free travel would you think the government would plough money in to this?

I personally would love to see this happen but I have my doubts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

With half the country on free travel would you think the government would plough money in to this?

I seriously doubt 2.5m people have free travel

Advertisement